Why the mmr secrecy?

Can some of the devs tell me why there should be such a secrecy with the mmr score?

I'm pretty sure a dev won't comment but would be nice if they clear this up.

I mean, in every other game with a ranking system (mmr not the grades/ranks) they just openly show the mmr score to the player self.

Not towards other players, which tbh i care less about, but i would love to see what my own score is and what i gain or lose.

I think I'm not the only person who would love to see their own mmr score, or am i wrong about that?

Comments

• Sypherpathic
    Sypherpathic Member Posts: 488

I agree with this but... so what?

I mean, sure, there are people I'm sure that were just trying to get as many iridescent emblems as possible.. But so?

I'm certainly not like that - I play how I play and let the chips fall... But, not knowing how everyone is being rated, I believe, will drive away a lot of players.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

It's because there's a whole lot of streamers that want to know how BHVR is using MMR to make calculations so they can prove MMR is bad.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

If they're not going to show which / how many survivors were in SWF groups for each game, why would they show MMR rankings? While both would be handy to know to see if you just happened to have a really bad game or got absurdly mis-matched and never had much of a chance, it doesn't really help after the fact. Just because the game's outcome was determined before it started doesn't make it any less of a loss.

• Dsalter
    Dsalter Member Posts: 239

because i bet under the hood theres only 2 factors "did you die?" and "did you kill them all?"

• Abysmii
    Abysmii Member Posts: 9

You have a fair point. I think we all need to collectively wait a month to see exactly how MMR evens out. It's a system that operates on collecting data and utilizing said data. I know they collected information prior to its release, but even knowing the new system is in place will change how people play and how the system reacts to them.

I personally have had much better matches. I can play killers I'm trying to learn without going against players much more skilled than me, and my mains have matches that I may lose but they are slow enough to that I can identify my mistakes.

I also understand that others are frustrated with it, but it's just too early to tell how the player base will collectively, ultimately feel.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601

They know matches are 99% amazingly accurate, but they can't have you knowing that perfect system and how close your MMR is to others for some reason.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,406

No, that makes no sense. You always know how to downrank (afk, etc). There are other games with invisible mmr and people just were afk or just moved their character (to avoid afk disconnect). Its more about the optimal way to play the game. The devs think if everyone knows how to gain mmr the best, everyone would play like that. And they have often stated that they want to see different playstyles.

• adsads123123123123
    adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 1,100

Because if mmr was shown, people would go super-tryhard to get the highest mmr and most games wouldn't be fun.

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250

Valid points above but like you OP I would love to see my score.

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

If the MMR is that easy to manipulate, it shouldn't exist in the first place. Its VERY scary that BHVR is this afraid of their own system.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710

Yeah... no i dont buy that

If you play the game you can just be afk, or do nothing and loose some "rank scores" so

Nah i dont buy that bad excuse

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Because this game is not a competetive game in the first place and MMR should only help finding matches which are in your skill range. At least this is my thought on why they hide it.

Another reason why they probably hide it is because of the abuse factor.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

People are already super tryhard with no reward for doing it.

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

This such a terrible excuse, people that want to lower their MMR will do no matter what. They just have to DC, AFK, sandbag... And they already did before with the old pip system.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959
    edited September 2021

I can't imagine it's difficult at all to recognize that someone is AFK or sandbagging for the duration of the match. If you already had a highish MMR from their months of testing and all of a sudden you're lasting only 15 seconds in chase because you're throwing yourself at the killer, it can't be that difficult to just instruct the system to ignore those results when calculating a new MMR. Same with time spent without moving due to being AFK.

• PhantomChimera
    PhantomChimera Member Posts: 668
    edited September 2021

Thinking it is a placebo falls along the lines of a conspiracy theory. The new matching system works considerably better than it's predecessor. As such it doesn't make sense that it would be a placebo.

• hanscardoso
    hanscardoso Member Posts: 83

My question is, why do you wanna know your MMR score?

• RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804

Some people are competitive by nature and want to feel rewarded for seeing a numerical value indicating their increase in skill.

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

To evaluate his skill level. He'd have a good estimate of where he is placed on either side. IT's it really important? Notpe but then what's the point of having MMR? MMR is just an attempt of pairing people of equal caliber but with how much RNG DbD has you can put the same 4 people against each other, with same perks, on same map and the Map will determine how a match goes. BOth sides are influenced by RNG, how can MMR be accurate if there's RNG being a decisive factor a match result. We need fixed Maps, we already have enough Maps, RNG was a solution to the old problem of having FEW maps but there's alot of Maps now, so RNG needs to get taken out but it's been so long and the game is such a moldy spaghetty mosnter that it might very well be impossible to remove RNG and not have the game BORK.

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551

Because the so called "MMR" doesn't exist.

You can say grades doesn't matter but this should never happen if "MMR" secretly exist. This killer has 26 hours on record.

What a joke.

• hanscardoso
    hanscardoso Member Posts: 83

I don't get it, we NEVER had a way to measure our skill level. All things being random just proves that its not about skill, you may argue that your ability of making the most of any scenario is skill, but then all the measures used by the game are against you, cause a bad team or a tryhard killer can drag you down. Neither the old rank system or the new mmr system could be used to measure your skill level, cause a bad RNG or a bad team can cost you the match. If the MMR really worked, we would not see a bunch of people (including me) complaining about potato teammates.

• lemonsway

Exactly. The system makes no sense and there's no reason for us to want to know our MMR but the system is here so whats the reason behind not showing it? It's not about abusing the system. Like i said the game provides a Natural way to exploit it, SWF. So that completly invalidates their excuse of influencing Matchmaking to get any advantage as a reason for not showing it. It's dumb in both ways. OH you can see MMR? Nice are you honestly proud of it? You're either bad, good or average at the game, doesn't really give you any Life advantage whatsoever unless you're a streamer making money out of it but only if you're good... Can't see MMR? Too bad but again unless you're high MMR and you're making money out of playing the game then it's pointless to your life.

IT's just one of those BHVR things, we don't understand why it's here, we don't understand what it does and we don't understand why we can't be told how to understand it.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Games rarely show mmr. Which are you thinking of?

• lemonsway

Well without the Escape points you all make less BP than this Wraith and his perks were basic perks so i'm guessing he got high MMR cause of the first few matches where he probably faced people with bad perks and lower skill and since he most likely won or did well enough, he went against you guys.

• Bjario
    Bjario Member Posts: 313

That would also result in ultra queue times, everyone can't be at the top

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551
    edited September 2021

Come on man do you think I care about BP at this point lol.

Seems like trash matchmaking at its finest. Happens previously and still happens now. MMR ain't real until they actually show it.

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052

I'm thinking it's all placebo for the most part. I haven't noticed matchmaking become any more balanced. It seems just as bad as it usually does lol

• VikingWilson
    VikingWilson Member Posts: 789

Are you really asking BHVR to be transparent? Oh, that's rich!

• TGB
    TGB Member Posts: 301

The secrecy is so that it can't be abused.

Although, logically speaking, if it can be abused, then that means it doesn't accurately measure people's skills.

And eventually the metric can be found out, whether through data mining or through sheer time spent within the system.

At which point, it can then be abused.

Which brings us back to the fact that, if it can be abused, it isn't accurately doing its job.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2021

Firstly, stop thinking that every other MMR system is visible. It isn't. Because every single multiplayer game uses some form of SBMM, it's an industry standard.

Second, it's hidden for the same reason that every other casual rating system is hidden: to stop sweatlords from taking over. The point of the system isn't dick measuring, it's putting sweaty against sweaty, noob against noob, casual against casual, etc.

Edit: Seriously, if you want an example of why it's hidden, look at all the people that refused to listen to anyone who wasn't rank 1.

• Sickerton
    Sickerton Member Posts: 77

Correction: Most games for those super-tryhards wouldn't be fun.

If the optimal way to ascend to the highest tier and stay there lording over the common man is found, and the system works as it should, then the people who exploit that should eventually "Ascend" from normally played games and have matches populated by people exploiting it just like them. Think of it as an ELO hell on the opposite side of the rank system.

• Sickerton
    Sickerton Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2021

Edit: Forums ate my first post, then put it back in later.

Post edited by Sickerton on
  • danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,111

I was in a match with you tonight. I just wanna say you're a great survivor.

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704

So to make things clear, there are people who are competitive no matter what game.

And even if it's a game made around the casual playerbase, there is a ranking system and mmr involved.

So in a way they made it competitive by implementing that, and me and many others would love to know what our own score is.

Some people don't care and that is something i respect.

But i always find it a bit scetchy if the mmr/elo is hidden.

Take rainbow six siege for example, after each match it shows you your own score and how much you earned/lost.

So why should it stay a secret in dead by Daylight?

There is nothing to abuse with knowing your own score.

Like others have mentioned here already, if they want to abuse it then they will do whatever they were doing prior to sbmm.

Afking for losing some mmr/elo and farming to gain, so there hasn't changed that much on that part.

Anyway, i really hope a dev could answer this and clear this up.

• Triadequinaxor
    Triadequinaxor Member Posts: 213

BHvr are using subliminal Stimuli to target our brains and to make us okay with SBMMR, you can see it with OTZ, and many other streamers.