The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why can BHVR remove Hawkins?

I bought the game after the chapter came out so its not free content, its part of what I payed for with the base game. On top of that, I also own the Stranger Things DLC which is advertised as containing the map. The following is copied directly from: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135280/Dead_by_Daylight__Stranger_Things_Chapter/.

"New Map: The Underground Complex

Located below of the Hawkins National Laboratory, this underground complex released dozens of inter-dimensional creatures in November 1984 before the rift was sealed. The site includes an isolation tank and equipment once used by government officials to conduct mind control experiments on test subjects. Now the walls of the abandoned facility are sprayed with bullets and blood, evidence of the battle against the creatures."

I reskimmed the EULA and I don't know why they're allowed to remove this content. I'm not a lawyer so I might have missed something that allows this. Is there someone that can highlight it?

Comments

• SquidBad
    SquidBad Member Posts: 56

It is/was part of the base game I bought, it being in the DLC was my secondary point.

• SquidBad
    edited September 2021

The thing that bothers me is that BHVR's agreement with stranger things isn't my business and shouldn't affect content I already own. I payed money for Hawkins as part of the base game.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I absolutely agree, the least they could do is reskin it. But you know, their decisions are questionable to say the least.

• That's just the nature of live service games.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,280
    edited September 2021

That's where I believe you're wrong. I'm pretty sure Behaviour has covered their backs with the TOS that you signed in order to play this game and, to make things short, you don't actually own anything and are only given the right to play the game according to their rules and have access to characters while they can change whatever they want.

It's just the nature of the business, it sucks, but it is what it is.

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

Because we don't know the contents of their contract with Netflix and it's probably very illegal for them to tell us.

The EULA basically states BHVR can do whatever the ######### they want to the game. That's just how games like this work. You don't own the game, BHVR does, and as such they can remove whatever they have/need to. It sucks, but hey.

• ryseterion
    ryseterion Member Posts: 445

You didnt buy it with the base game. The map is free for everyone. Not to mention the game has the same base price plus any extra dlcs. You didnt buy hawkins

• SquidBad

No it definitely is part of the base game, it's impossible to buy Dead By Daylight without getting the exact amount of Hawkins as to any other map. Are you trying to tell me they could remove Macmillan estate and the huntress tomorrow because they're "free for everyone"? I bought the game in February, I spent real money on it, and included inseparably was Hawkins. It's not separate from the base game because its "free", and besides that it actually isn't free because I had to buy the base game to get access to it.

• SquidBad

I don't know nor care about what Netflix sorted out with BHVR because I still lost access to something as a result. BHVR must have some way to get out of this but I just can't find it in the EULA, and I'm really trying. If for some reason they don't have something written in, that must be illegal right?

• OrangeJack
    OrangeJack Member Posts: 464
    edited September 2021

They should redesign it as a Trickster based map.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

By this logic they shouldn't have been able to remove things such as the moonlight offerings and splinters. They're able to do what they want with the game.

• AnnaEliza365
    AnnaEliza365 Member Posts: 141

Maps are free content. When you buy the game you buy the killers/survivors/perks and their cosmetics. But, the maps are free content given to everybody.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Welcom to the modern age, where convenience has a price and you don't own anything.

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 553

I liked the moonlight offerings only ever played with them a few times but it's nice to have different experiences sometimes.

As for the orginal post everyone is right Behavior can do pretty much anything they want if they never add bots one day the game won't work at all.

I'll miss Hawkins its the only indoor map I like hopefully one day it will get reskin but they haven't even updated all the old maps yet (I suspect swamp & the forest "upgrades" won't be too popular & we all know haddonfield will have breakable walls all over the place.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

I expect they'll reskin it within a few months and rerelease it. maybe with some gameplay tweaks.

• SquidBad

Great response, my one issue is that that this text defines virtual goods, but maps don't fall under the listed requirements.

"The Game may, from time to time, feature virtual goods. Virtual goods include but are not limited to virtual items (characters, accessories, items such as “character customization”, power-ups), points, credits, tokens and currency (collectively, “Virtual Goods”) for use in the Game.

You may “earn” Virtual Goods within the Game or we may allow you to “purchase” Virtual Goods with “real money” or virtual currencies. Certain Virtual Goods in the Game may be unavailable if not purchased."

This makes a distinction between the game and virtual goods inside, and sets 2 definitions for what counts as a virtual good. This means for it to be a virtual good it must be "earnable" or "purchasable" within the game. Hawkins was not earnable, and it was not purchasable separately from the game, therefore it is not a virtual good and they can't change it. It might seem that "not limited to" would counter this but I think that it means you are supposed to use the later definition to decide if any other given thing is a virtual good. Characters, accessories, items such as “character customization”, power-ups), points, credits, tokens and currency are all earnable or purchasable and therefore I agree with BHVR calling them virtual goods.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, I don't know if you are, and frankly I hate Hawkins as a map. I don't care if it specifically goes but this sets a precedent I'm not comfortable with. If they removed Macmillan tomorrow I would just quit.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,740

Again, I'm not a lawyer, I don't know if you are, and frankly I hate Hawkins as a map. I don't care if it specifically goes but this sets a precedent I'm not comfortable with. If they removed Macmillan tomorrow I would just quit.

For the record, it's just one of my A-level subjects, not a fully fledged lawyer yet but I'm considering it maybe.

I don't think this sets a precedent for original maps or content. Licenced content is permanently on a limited time section- it all depends on the licence holders. Netflix was just the first to pull out of a contract and thus terminate the license.