Why does matchmaking give small maps to high mobility killers?

I have noticed it for a long time. The chance to face certain killers is significantly higher at certain maps. For example when I get coal tower, there is a very high chance for either blight, spirit, nurse or wraith, which is pretty dumb considering all of these killers are able to cover the entire map within 5 seconds and apply pressure to like 5 gens out of 7 simultaneously.

Why are there such map preferences / correlations? An omega blink nurse literally can port from main building to shack within two blinks. How is it supposed to be balanced?

Comments

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I know it is just a coincidence, but is it? I think not!

• Dwigtht
    Dwigtht Member Posts: 462

The maps are "random", but on different weekdays I notice playing the same kind of map more often. There were times when I was getting Haddonfield 3 times in a row, other days I can see more indoor than outdoor maps.

And high-mobility killers are just more popular

• CrowVortex
    CrowVortex Member Posts: 961

Wish i got that treatment...usually get Hawkins or game on my Blight pretty regularly. Haddonfield on my Twins is nightmare depending on the layout too.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

That's how RNG works, randomness isn't even. And it is the reason other games outright lie about their RNG (for example, a gun having an X chance for an effect to go off will actually have an X+20% chance when calculating the effect).

Basically, humans suffer both from confirmation bias and a desire for things to be spread evenly. In reality, that's not how things work. There is a genuine possibility that that is how the game functions for you, but there's also people that have the precise opposite experience.

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Member Posts: 213

Not really. There is clearly a correlation between certain killer and maps, so I highly doubt the distribution of map probablities is even.

For example when I play blight after a long break one of my first maps I usually get is Shelter Woods.

Maps only get an even distribution when you play a killer for a certain amount of matches.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

damn you’re lucky. whenever i play blight (or any ranged killer) ill always get lerys as my first map, without fail

and for some reason when i play Demo i always get red forest. its weird.

• DoctorDarling
    DoctorDarling Member Posts: 44

There's not a clear correlation, you've noticed it, put the idea in your head, and it's confirmation bias and coincidence. If you seriously think they alter the map chances based on the characters mobility, well.... ok. You can believe what you want.

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Member Posts: 213

They dont alter the map chances based on characters mobility but there are clearly higher chances to get certain maps with certain killers than with others. At least when you start playing a certain killer.

You can argue with bias confirmation and coincidence while having a small sample size, but not after having 3000 hours in that game. It's not coincidence anymore but statistical significance.