Why do people hate Premonition?

Options

I'm seeing that a lot of people tier Premonition as trash-tier.

But I don't quite see the issue. Is there something about premonition that just doesn't tick the right boxes? I'd say knowing the general direction the killer is coming from is fairly effective in obtaining information.

It's helped saved me from hiding the killer more times than not rather than with Spine Chill that just made me look around, not knowing which direction a killer is coming from, hide, then get hit because I chose a wrong spot to hide.

And no, don't start saying that I just 'don't know how to use Spine Chill', I'm not exactly a mind reader, so I can't identify EXACTLY where a killer is just by knowing that they're looking at me.

Comments

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

I always preferred it over Spine Chill. Don't really know why.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    edited September 2021
    Options

Another fellow premonition user? I thought there was only 3 of us

• VikingWilson
    VikingWilson Member Posts: 789
    Options

What? People hate Premonition?

• Toxicboii
    Toxicboii Member Posts: 443
    Options

Well, rather, people deem Premonition to be worse than Spine Chill-

But either way.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,009
    Options

Its usually because OoO is 100% better and can also be used as a diversionary perk to pull the killer away from areas you dont want him to be. It can still hurt you at times but compared to premonition which doesnt really help unless its a hidden killer than i could see its advantage but theres only a few

• Toxicboii
    Options

1 - That is understandable that a 30 second cooldown would keep most people away... But it didn't stop most people from running other perks with the same cooldown.

2 - What sort of information deems it 'valuable' enough to call "A killer looking at you" more important than "A killer's general direction"?

You might be looking at Premonition's effects to do the wrong task, by trying to see how close he is. But I'm using Premonition to find out where he is. So I can adjust myself to a point where he may not see me.

• ouroboros_world
    ouroboros_world Member Posts: 215
    Options

spine chill is still better than premonition, even if you can’t pinpoint the killer exact location. if you position yourself and know the map your playing spine chill is way better because you will know what the only routes the killer can get you, also it counter undetectable which make most perks and killers really weak

• Toxicboii
    edited September 2021
    Options

For starters, positioning yourself so you don't get seen is easier said than done. You have to know where they're coming from first. No amount of map knowledge that isn't an aura reading will make you 100% certain that the killer you face can give you a cue of some sort to make you move yourself to a spot where you can't be found and be certain of it. Premonition mitigates that need by some degree.

Second, Spine chill being good because "you will know what the only routes the killer can get you" is an argument that can just be used for regular play. They can come from all sorts of directions. It's not a one way, it's omni-directional, and you have to pick a hiding spot that would potentially make the killer miss you. But even knowing the spots and routes they can take to get to you will have spine chill do nothing. All you know is that they're coming to you. You don't know which direction they're coming from, Spine Chill or not.

And lastly, Premonition also bypasses undetectable. So that argument is pointless to make.

• Toxicboii
    edited September 2021
    Options

So..... Are the people who run Spine Chill bad at making arguments, or am I really right?

Because I still don't see a reason why Premonition is trash and why Spine Chill is sub-god tier...

• ouroboros_world
    ouroboros_world Member Posts: 215
    Options

say can said about premonition, just the fact spine chill don’t have a cool down and also boost your speed in everything just makes it way better than premonition. Maybe if premonition don’t have a cool down it would be more op than spinechill but tbh I think survivors are to lazy to use their cameras and eyes so spinechill will still be meta

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Spine chill is usually just better.

You can detirmen where a killer is coming from thanks to the terror radius. If it gets more intens really fast your closing the distance fast and thus moving to the killer.

After a while you can notice this with just a few steps. And then you bassicly take the only advantage premonition had over spinechill away

Also not sure if this has changed or not but i seem to remember premonition not working against stealth killers.

Also most people just don't hide from the killer and just get in position to loop or hold w and make distance. It doesn't really matter what the exact location is of the killer then. As long as you don't run to them which you can avoid with the terror radius trick mentioned earlier

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

Weird name for Spine Chill

• Toxicboii
    Options

Just because Spine Chill lacks a cooldown doesn't make it "better".

Yes, it gives you an early warning constantly without much fail without a cooldown. But I'd say that it has an inherent weakness with it requiring the killer to look at the survivor before it tells you that 'Hey, the killer is looking at you'. It says nothing about 'where' the killer is, or saying 'if the killer saw you'. I'm willing to say that Premonition is better in such a regard.

The 'boost' is negligible. Sure, it makes you vault faster, but not by much. Even then, the fast vault is already fast enough, I can only see it being used to slightly reduce the downsides of a medium vault, but any self-respecting player knows better than to do something like that willingly.

If survivors are too lazy to use their eyes, then that's their problem, not the perks'. If survivors are unwilling to use the effects of their perk despite knowing what it does, then they themselves wasted the perk slot. The perk isn't bad because people are deliberately being too lazy about it, I'm willing to say that's what causes it to be 'underrated'. If people are expecting autonomy, then they shouldn't be using this perk in the first place, so you effectively made a counterintuitive statement.

• Toxicboii
    edited September 2021
    Options

No, the terror radius determines that the killer is nearby and possibly approaching. It does nothing to tell you if they're to your right, your left, etc.

Premonition does work against stealth killers. I'm willing to say the lack of use of it probably started that rumor.

And generally, "getting ready to loop"? My playstyle revolves trying to avoid that. So frankly, I can understand why Spine Chill can be better in preparing for a chase. But not for avoiding it.

But to outright say it's "better" than Premonition because of the difference in playstyle is a sign of bias. True, I may be biased towards Premonition, but I am by no means saying that it is god-tier. I'm merely saying that it isn't trash, and wanting to find out why Spine Chill is so widely used more than Premonition in most stealth builds.

Experience tells me that no, Spine Chill does nothing in preventing a chase. It makes the chase easier for the survivor. So by that regard, Premonition and Spine Chill shouldn't be compared because the uses they need to be used in are different.

Thus far, I have not been convinced that Premonition is by any regard, a bad perk.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options

Spinechill does what premonition does but better

• Toxicboii
    edited September 2021
    Options

In what regard?

You can't exactly say that "One does the other thing but better" and expect it to be a valid argument.

• Toxicboii
    Options

I'm not sure if I'm being stubborn, but I'm still failing to see how the differences between Spine Chill and Premonition make Spine Chill the best.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

The cool down makes it not worthwhile to run.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

I don't like spine chill either anymore.

I don't hate perks tho lol. Everyone should use what they personally like and think it helps them.

• Toxicboii
    Options

It didn't stop people from running other perks with the same cooldown. Plus, it'd be pretty OP if it constantly told you where the killer was. Just a mere 'blip' of where the killer is can certainly help, cooldown or not.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,879
    Options

It's underrated. Granted, not exactly a high-tier but it's in no way a bad perk. Spine Chill avoids the cooldown and lets you know if the killer is looking at you. Premonition has a cooldown, but what it does instead is let you know where the killer is, even when it doesn't look at you, so as a form of surveillance it's pretty useful!

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

I’ll try and put it this way, the lack of cool down on spine chill is more than enough to warrant running that over premonition. I’m not talking about it’s effectiveness in game as I think it’s good but with game sense and experience you essentially have this perk without equipping it. Overall the effect it has is minimal compared to spine chill in the hands of an experienced player.

• Danielgdp3
    Danielgdp3 Member Posts: 452
    Options

I don't hate it, but however it just is a shadow compared to Spine Chills shining glory. I feel that when you learn the maps quite well you can already read which way the killers approaching with spine chill, on top of that you also know if they are actually coming or if they just glanced over you accidentally. And then even more you get speed bonuses on top of that when it is active which does come in handy for last sec repair/heals/exit gate openings.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE

On top of that there's no cool down it will always work so you have constant knowledge of if the killer is coming after you.

So I mean if you were to choose between the two you should always go Spine Chill it just offers way more benefits in the end.

• Toxicboii
    Options

Oh now y'all are saying the cooldown doesn't make Premonition worth it?

Lemme put it this way, then. Quality over Quantity in this instance.

Premonition gives you the location of where the killer is at with a mere 'blip'.

Spine Chill constantly tells you that the killer is looking at you.

Yes, I will say that Spine Chill, in the right hands, makes it hard for a killer to catch you unaware. But Premonition further rewards being aware with the location of a killer. Albeit a rough location.

So lets say that Premonition's cooldown is removed... It practically becomes OP because the survivor constantly knows where the killer is as long as they're in range. If the killer isn't fast enough, they may not catch you.

You may say "So Spine Chill is good because it has no Cooldown and Premonition doesn't, what's your point?"

My point is that Spine Chill's effects are too weak to warrant putting a cooldown onto it.

Knowing he's looking towards you is also powerful information in the right hands, yes, and you may have a terror radius to disclose how roughly close he is, you still don't entirely know which direction he's going to come from.

So that would make hiding more difficult because of such a lack of knowledge. Let's say you're in the shack now.

Spine chill is flaring up, and you're in the center of the shack. You slowly vault the window, and see the killer kick the generator, flip right where you are hiding because he saw you vaulting the window, but you didn't see him, and now you're in the chase.

Premonition warns you the killer is in that direction. You go in the direction that's the most concealed when taking that route into account, and the killer never finds you.

Think the scenarios were good enough, or did I make an error somewhere... be nice to know.

• Toxicboii
    Options

My first question is "What does map knowledge have to do with Killer behavior"?

You're told you have 3 entrances. One leads to the center, the other 2 lead to the edges.

Spine chill flares up, and I hide away rom the center... Then get hit from behind, because he came down the hall from the left.... That I was in clear view of.

I dunno, I still find much more usage out of Premonition. Cooldown or not, and I need to make this clear, the information it gives you is enough to avoid the chase altogether.

• Toxicboii
    Options

In interaction speed (including vaults-).

And the boosts are negligible...

• wxnickxw
    wxnickxw Member Posts: 740
    Options

Plenty of boosts are for only a few percentage points that doesn't make them negligible.

Also how much does premonition speed you up by, to compare

• Danielgdp3
    Options

I mean a good killer knows how to approach certain tiles/buildings effectively and know how to zone survivors to bad areas so being aware of the map and knowing where those areas are can help you avoid them. It might be because I don't hide I'm a runner that I know if I'm running towards killer or not cause terror radius is louder etc. And with map awareness part of it is knowing if the killer is coming you should already have a safe place you know you can reach in time regardless of where they are approaching.

I won't deny, if you do prefer the stealthy play style then premonition may be better for you I can agree with that, maybe running both even could be better. But my view is that I don't like to do that and that's why premonition will never be a good perk to me personally. I'd much rather know that a killer is definitely coming for me than that they may be coming for me from the left.

Also forgot to ask does premonition work for spirit phase, and all the undetectable stealth killers like spine chill does?

• Duke_Ragereaver
    Duke_Ragereaver Member Posts: 210
    Options

i dont hate premonition, i think its serviceable as you are training to keep your head on a swivel. more people dont use it probably because once youve got that game sense there are so many better options. back in 2016 i used premonition while i was learning to play survivor.

• Sickerton
    Sickerton Member Posts: 77
    Options

Premonition lets you know that you are looking at the Killer

Spine Chill lets you know that the Killer is looking at you.

If a killer is being looped near me as I work on a gen, but I don't have direct line of sight with him and the runner, I already know that he's over there. What I don't know with Premonition is if he's given up on that chase and is now planning to take me as a consolation prize.

• Danielgdp3
    Options

I think the thing is that your personal beliefs is that hiding is what everyone wants to do where as most survivors want to engage with the killer so that's why most players rate premonition as a bad perk.

Honestly stealth play is viable and it's a good perk for that play style but that style is a minority in the dbd community and that's why the perk isn't rated highly by the majority.

• Toxicboii
    Options

Phew

Thank you for that info.

I think I'm done with arguments for today. Thanks for tellin' me the why.

• Toxicboii
    Options

I'd say this entire post was the argument, and I was juggling quite a few people.

Might've forgotten what the original post was even about.

But then I remembered that I asked why Premonition was trash tier. All I got in return was 'Why Spine Chill was top tier'.

• Danielgdp3
    Options

I would say it's because the perks are similar that's why spine chill gets brought up. I agree with you that it isn't trash, it's even good depending on the players play style. I just wouldn't use it cause for me Spine Chill is better. Everyone has different views in this game which is great cause it keeps it unpredictable.

All the best

• Toxicboii
    Options
  • Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options

Premonition you are on a cooldown, but it gives you a general guess of the exact spot the killer is looking and thats about it

spinechill lets you know the killer is looking at you while giving you a boost to certain actions, this can help ALOT during last second totem breaks and last second gate opens and much more, basically SpineChill gives you more than premonition

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Because it's borderline useless or gives outright false information.

It has a cooldown. It isn't accurate. It doesn't tell you anything except the killer's general location - which usually isn't that useful. It doesn't even tell you where the killer is going.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

Although I'm in the 'spine chill is better' camp, the killer can moonwalk towards you and, if it's a stealth killer, you will be none the wiser as spine chill won't light up.

It's been a long time since I used Premonition but I think that tells you the direction even if a killer is not looking at you so the killer can't fake it so easily.

Granted though, it will take a few times searching an empty gen before you think about spine chill and stop looking towards the gen.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,674
    edited September 2021
    Options

If you have good game sense you should already understand the killers general direction in most circumstances, so by the time spine chill activates you should generally already know what direction they're coming from and unlike premonition, with spine chill you'll know if the killer is committing to coming towards you or if they just so happened to walk within premonition range for 10 milliseconds while chasing your team mate on a loop in the middle of the map.

• Danielgdp3
    Options

Yeah I do feel that the odds of a killer moonwalking to a gen is such a rare occurrence that it doesn't really factor much in the negatives of spine chill.

Yeah premonition is if you look at the killer within 45 degrees, and they are within 36 metres.

I think premonition would be a much better perk and more viable if they added the killers aura for 3 seconds and made the cool down to 40 not 30. That way you can at least know if they are coming to you or not and it may actually be more on par with spine chill

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Read what i said again.

first of i said usually better. There are certain situations premonition works better then spine chill.

Second yes. The terror radius can help you tell where a killer is coming from.

Explaining it again cause you apperently just skipped it.

The terror radius starts of slow and gets more and more intens the closer you are to a killer. When you are 32m away you will barelly hear it and when you are close it gets really intens.

If you are going towards a killer you close the distance very rapidly and that instensity increases much faster then it would if you where running away from a killer. You can pick up on that and know you are moving towards a killer or away from it

It's not rocket science. You said earlier that people with spine chill don't know arguments. Seems to me you just choose to be oblivious about them.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

It has way too long of a cooldown and it doesn't tell you if the killer is actually coming for you which can cause you to be alert for no reason.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,353
    edited September 2021
    Options

So in my experience from using both perks, the biggest differences between the two was spine chill would tell me when the killer is actually coming to my location and not just getting looped nearby or something, and of course the CD.

If the killer is just getting looped nearby spine chill will usually go on and off a few times, but premonition just has the one ping due to the CD so you just know the killer is over there somewhere. Are they heading in your direction? Who knows. If they are heading to my location Spine Chill will stay lit up. So in one case I know not to leave the gen or area, in the other I'm not sure and could be wasting time being evasive.

If its a stealth killer I can also guess that much easier if I see Spine Chill on for a bit but there's not TR. For premonition they could have just went somewhere else and I'd have no idea. Like if they were going to a different gen and just happened to get into range for a moment, premo will still go off but they're not even coming to my location.

I've had games against tinkerer where gen gets to the threshold, Spine chill lights up and stays lit up, there's no TR, but its a Blight or someone who can't hide TR basekit, and I conclude they have tinkerer and leave the gen early avoiding the free hit. You could just leave the gen with Premo as well, but again, it could just be they're getting lopped or just passing nearby and you don't have any tools to tell on its own. Is their TR gone because tinkerer or because they're going somewhere else? With SC I know they're comin to me.

Once you get good general game sense you can also guess which direction the killer is coming from in most cases with spine chill. With good map knowledge you can also just take the safest path out the location you're in. For example if I'm near the left wall of the map my best option out if I want to be unseen is towards the wall and I'll leave the loop that way. It's not 100%, but with premo you could end up moving a lot of the time when you don't need to.

Premonition can lead you into situation where you're spending time being evasive when you don't need to, If they have ruin that's free regression. Even if they don't that's time you're not being the most effective at whatever task you're doing.

I don't think premonition is horrible, its just spine chill is generally more useful once you get accustomed to how to react to and read it mixed in with some game knowledge. That's been my experience with the two perks at least. The one plus I can give premonition is it cannot be countered by moonwalking. If the cooldown was lower than it would be much much better, 30 seconds is a lot.

Post edited by MrPenguin on
  • danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,440
    Options

Spine Chill is better.

• lordfart
    lordfart Member Posts: 538
    edited September 2021
    Options

I used to use premonition, it was handy when I was overall new and needed the audio notification but realised over time it was too unreliable. For example most annoying moments, it would go off while the killer was chasing someone else nearby even if I momentarily looked in their direction, and then if the killer approached me and premonition was on cooldown I would get no notification and get smacked. And sometimes it would go off and I'd hide thinking that the killer was coming but we just looked in eachothers direction momentarily and I wasted a bunch of time I could be continuing genny.

At the behest of my spinechill friend who was always 1 step ahead of me in knowing whether the killer was ACTUALLY coming I tried it out. At first wasn't sure if I liked it because you have to look at the icon, I was used to having a sound warn me, but soon realised how much more reliable it is than premonition and that was it for me. Plus the speed boost and lack of cooldown, nail in the coffin for premonition. Underrated perk to start out with though IMO

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,176
    Options

The cooldown is the largest reason. Like you said, it is actually better than spine chill for identifying a potential path to run from the killer that will maximize either you running further or picking a good spot to hide in. If there was no cooldown on it I would probably prefer it over spine chill, or if spine chill had a comparable cooldown. However, you can intuit the direction a good amount of times via spine chill + map knowledge and spine chill also provides other bonuses that can help outside of info only.

• jadss
    jadss Member Posts: 207
    Options

the perk has a cooldown, cooldown to a perk that reveals the killer is worthless, spine chill is better and literally top tier, as it allows you to decide some stuff about the killer without knowing where they are.