Toxicity meaning for players

Hello people from the forums, I wanted to ask a question regarding one of the most recurrent topics in my perspective: toxicity.

This is a concept that I see a lot on the forums discussions, and in a lot of these, I see comments that saying something is "toxic" is either overused or badly used on the wrong actions/behavior.

What do you specifically find or would describe as "true" toxic behavior? From what I have seen people list actions such as nodding, tea bagging, flashlight spamming and other in-game actions (disruptive gameplay) to be in this category. But others put chat and verbal abuse as the true and most toxic thing (which I agree in my opinion). Other ones name certain perks, builds, loadouts also as toxic gameplay.

What would you suggest to stop this toxicity? And for those who have been around since the early years, how did this concept originated in this game?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• Someone just playing the game is never toxic to me, I'm doing the same thing lol.

But specifically if I get downed and the killer shakes their head at me or spins something like that is a little annoying because I must've mad them mad by playing the game.

Same thing when I get hooked and the killer hits me, I've heard some people do it so it stops the scream (which is insanely loud) but usually they do it because they're salty. Face camping and tunneling is another discussion, super lame if you're just trying to have fun.

But if I make it to a gate somehow and you've done anything listed above prepare for it back.

TLDR: Treat other's the way you want to be treated

• kucerka
    kucerka Member Posts: 186

I actually am the one who hits survivors on hooks especially if I get frustrated by chasing them all over the map with them squating after each successful palette stun, window hit or whatever. But I don't consider that toxic since they basically asked for it. Cause me as a survivor don't have this need of humiliating the killer 🤷🏻‍♂.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I think anything meant to intentionally upset another player or ruin their experience can be classified as toxic.

Also, this may possibly maybe perhaps might be toxic idk tho

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192

For me, if it's in-game, it's fair, even if it's a little annoying. Toxicity for me, is outright cheating, exploiting a bug, or being a butt hat in the end game chat. In other words pretty much everything you can get banned for. I don't sweat T-Bagging or hitting on the hook, and no, If I know you have won, I'm not going to judge your butt dance Olympics at the gate.

I do sometimes wish that the end game chat had as diligent a word filter as they seem to have on the forums though.