Have any survivor mains quit and become killer mains and why?☺

latinfla4
latinfla4 Member Posts: 2,119

I know it is usually the other way around.

I am genuinely curious if some has had enough of playing survivor and said "I am done now I am going to play killer".

Thoughts and/or stories?

Comments

• Mistakesweremade
    Mistakesweremade Member Posts: 229

I never really mained any side, there was a time I became a complete killer main because I didn't have enough time to rank up and I didn't want to play at lower ranks but thankfully mmr fixed that (somewhat at least)

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

I am not a survivor main but I used to play 70/30 a few years ago. I currently play both roles equaly.

Why? I dont know to be honest, i just enjoy playing killer as much as i enjoy playing survivor.

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719

I started as a survivor main. I was legitimately bad at the role and started to play killer to try to get better as survivor. Turns out I'm a much better killer than survivor and became a killer main. Still suck as survivor.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

More survivors need to be like you. Instead of screaming for nerfs you played the other side to improve. I salute you.

• FrostySeal
    FrostySeal Member Posts: 626

I've always played both sides but for around a couple months and counting I haven't been having fun with survivor at all and I've played Killer more. In-between me just not enjoying playing against most of the new killers and old and getting camped, tunneled, and or slugged much more frequently I've played much more Killer than Survivor. Currently right now I hate going up against Nurse, Spirit, Hag, Pyramid Head, Huntress, Freddy, Twins, Deathslinger, Ghostface, Wraith, Nemesis, Legion, Clown, Plague, Pig, Myers, and Trapper. The only Killers that I somewhat enjoy going up against are Hillbilly, Blight, Oni, and Demogorgon and even then it doesn't matter at all if they bring extremely powerful builds and camp/tunnel/slug. I just find Killer to be much more relaxed and fun than Survivor and even though I may get the rare stressful match it doesn't mean anything since I always end up winning those matches.

• Tricksters_Wife
    Tricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545

When I first started playing the game I was definitely a survivor main. I did play some killer but I found it really frustrating because I was consistently getting toxic players. Nothing really pushed me to play killer other than just wanting to improve both my killer skill and in turn it improved my survivor skill. I'm definitely a better killer than survivor now, but I would say I'm a decent survivor at least.

• Gladonos
    Gladonos Member Posts: 392

80-20 Survivor main as well. Killer is much more painful and stressful then survivor but not weaker(In before the ocean of REEEEEING because god forbid I say the game is balanced.)

Am I gonna quit survivor? No and I am not gonna quit playing killer either. Why would I? If you hate the game just stop playing it.

Yea, because killers never cry... 😑

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I somewhat agree. I think people just need to be more open minded. I'm a survivor main and I don't call for nerf often, very rarely I do. I genuinely try and get better.

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890

I'm a solo survivor, and with the way matches go, I have almost no reason to play it anymore, so I've definitely been considering becoming a full time killer main lol

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

That had absolutely nothing to do with my post. In fact my post apply to both parties. If you play both sides you have a better understanding which helps your game play. Regardless of which you choose to play.

• latinfla4

That was how I began as well...pretty much the same story. Playing killer gives you so much more perspective. Now i play more survivor since the mmr changes (about 70 to 30 split).

Have you gone back to try survivor again? Use that knowledge you have gained 😇

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,295

I did when I first got the game. I thought survivor was too hard and got frustrated with all the dying. Then I played killer and realized how wrong I was. So now I play survivor until I get bored and dabble in killer just enough to remember the stress that it induces and go back to survivor.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

Yes, I used to main survivor when I started playing way back and I play far more killer these days because killer is actually a fun game experience.

• latinfla4

This is my dbd story almost to the letter😊 .

My first survivor was bill (big left 4 dead fan) and then ace (I thought the luck stat would help in all skill checks or something...little did I know 😅).

Then trapper looked fun and I would dabble with all the other killers but always come back to the strategist.

It is slowly getting better for killers but yeah to many sweaty games makes me hesitate playing killer for to long now.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Never mained really one side of because I would restrict myself to play one side when there's many options in game it's true I tend to play more survivor because my friends wants to play but I play both sides and I love it if u get bored of one side you switch to other and vice versa

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285
    edited October 2021

I used to be a 50/50 player, but now I'm 100% a killer main. Solo queue is a waste of time, you sit on a longer queue only to get camped/tunneled to death or having 2 IQ teammates who sandbag you or are alergic to gens. The devs also don't care about it (just look how they tied a totem counter to a perk instead of making it basekit like everybody asked for, or how boon totems are mediocre for solos and OP for SWF), when was the last improvement solo survivors had?

When MMR was released solo was actually quite good, but idk why it became a shitshow again after 2~3 weeks.

At least with killer I get to chase people even if I lose, which is the fun part of the game. Unfortunately MMR also made killer 10 times worse because there's no interaction anymore, survivors just hold M1 and hold W the moment they hear the TR, so I'm borderline quitting the game.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

I fully intended to be a killer main but I honestly find killer boring to play. You just run after someone, break pallets, hit them, run, break pallets, hit them. I get that there are a couple killers where the gameplay is different but it still feels very bland and one-dimensional. None of the powers really appeal to me.

More importantly, killer generally has everything stacked against them, and while I enjoy a challenge when gaming, it just feels like a tedious chore more often than not, having to constantly play perfectly, one wrong move often throwing the entire match, fighting the mechanics of the game more than the survivors.

With survivor I feel mostly in control of the match, which if the opposite of what I was expecting. I’m in control of the chase and the pace. I can run meme builds for fun and still do well despite being pretty bad at survivor, or I can run meta perks when I feel like looping for longer etc. Sometimes it’s nice to just chill on a gen and some a ciggi, then have fun practicing my looping, bring in control of how it all plays out.

I’m the kind of guy who’d always play killer in these types of games, and I’m going to make more of an effort to get into it. I just need to find a killer that isn’t boring and repetitive to play, and get used to wearing headphones all the time, and not having my usual gaming ciggi, and being reactive to the survivors instead of being in control of the match.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

I don't main any in particular, I rotate and play most. Used to play a ton of Hag, then a ton of Trapper, at the moment I'm probably playing more Ghostface than anything else. But I try to play all the killers. :)

• JexxTron
    JexxTron Member Posts: 228

I play 90% only Cheryl Mason and 10% wraith so I can see what the silly survivors look like from the killers point of view. Its like this.

Playing Survivor... where is a gen? cant find a gen. Was one here before....

Playing Killer... OMG there are a hundred Gens. Which one should I go see?

• latinfla4

That's good not many people do that...feel like you only play half the game if you dont at least try the other side🤣

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Probably people tired of garbage teammates. That is why I am a killer main. Was never a survivor main, but I played way too many team based pvp games. I hit a breaking point and needed to either commit to fighting games again or find something else. This was the something else. And it had so many familiar fighting game characters in it, like Leatherface.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,745

Hey, I actually fit this one!

Okay so basically, I used to be a survivor main (was garbage at it too). I was, like, brand new, and I'd play with my friend + her (at the time) boyfriend. By the time we stopped playing I'd met some others who were willing to play with me and my network of friends just kinda spiraled out from there, and it was (usually) fun! Wasn't great being camped or tunneled, but being a survivor main formed my code of honour that I try to play by as killer whenever possible.

But, eventually I do try killer. Wraith first, then Freddy- started playing November 2017, must've started killer around May 2018 if I was to guess? It was pretty fun, actually; I can even remember the build I got to rank 1 with lol (EndFury, Ruin, BBQ, old Freddy, using both Block add-ons. It was Coal Tower, vs a Legacy Meg). So that began my transition to a more 50/50 player, though it was still skewed to survivor, with around 70:30 s:k. Over time this did slowly migrate to a more 40:60 s:k ratio though.

After a couple of years- this is like February 2020 time now I wanna say, though it could've been December 2019- survivor starts to get really, really stale. Killers played the same builds, characters, and ways, and my teammates were so unbelievably dogshit it was unreal. No, Claudette, that bush is not a generator, and no, Meg, don't walk to save me on the hook across all of Mother's ######### Dwelling (I was rank 1 btw :') ). So, I took a break from the game, around June 2020 time, because it was just so frustrating, and when I came back, I was having some fun again. As killer, of course, which immidiately evaporated as soon as I played survivor. So off I go for another couple of days, and when I come back I make sure to not touch survivor for a week, and solo for 2. It works, and it's great.

So, basically, if I'd kept playing SWF it probably would've have happened. Solo survivor pushed me to becoming a killer main, because oh my ######### it's such a ######### experience.

• Shenlong1904
    Shenlong1904 Member Posts: 293

used to be a survivor main, but because of solo q and that all my friends who play dbd live across the globe, i started to main killer and had a lot more fun and less stress. now i only play survivor if i have a friend available, though we prefer to not use comms during match

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

I'm still a survivor main. But just before Pinheads release, I haven't really played survivor at all. It's not because of Pinhead, there are other reasons why I decided to take a break from the Survivor side.

• Once I reached the higher ranks, people stopped playing the "fun" killers. And one year of facing killers that aren't even fun to face is not really that interested nor is it, well, fun. The only killers I got at that point were Spirit's Deathslinger's and Blight's. Don't get me wrong, Blight can actually be pretty fun. But that is if they don't use Ruin, Undying and Tinkerer. There sure are more killers that I dislike. But out of all of them, Deathslinger was the one I had the biggest problem with. There was nothing in this game that could frustrate me more than a Deathslinger. It came to the point that I would just beg all Deathslingers to kill me as soon as I knew it was him.
    • Grinding Bloodpoints as a survivor is horrible if you're not running WGLF, but I don't wanna use a perk just for the BP's. So I wasn't feeling that rewarded for playing that much. And I couldn't et extra BP from missions because I only get killer dailys and I've completed every survivor mission in the Archive.
    • I had too many games where either my team were doing gens way too fast, I got a dreadful map or a painful killer. So it wasn't fun anymore. And I'm all about the fun in this game. I don't like gen rushing, I don't like tunnelling, I don't like BM'ing because it's boring.

And after a long time with barely any interesting games, I got a Deathslinger on Léry's (dreadful killer on a dreadful map IMO). And because I was playing with my friend, I didn't really want to DC or kill myself on the hook. So I tried my best to get through the map. And then it happened, the guy tunnelled me. And that was the moment I snapped. I was done with survivor. So I joined the dark side... And it was great! Now I could play all the fun killers. I can now chill, perform good, get a good amount of BP and meme at the same time. I get accepted when I meme around, and I accept when others meme around. The only downside now is that I have to deal with Dead Hard as Huntress, but that's fine :)

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Even if I played killer more I wouldnt call myself killer main. Same as Im not calling myself survivor main when I play more survivor.

I hate mains lol

• latinfla4

Glad you are still having fun with the game and an extra thanks for your hard work on the new patch update change thread you made😇😇😇😇😇😇😇.

I gifted gamepass ultimate to one of my friends since he was curious about playing dbd (he is a huge Myers fan). He played and had a blast. He played one round of survivor and said it was boring and went back to killer😂

To quote him "I am not playing the game to play unknowns. I am playing to play the killer". If only he new the business model for this game🤣

• VanitasRyuzaki
    VanitasRyuzaki Member Posts: 110

I hear you. I've gotten a lot of toxic survivors too. No likes being a team player and when the toxic survivor gets bested, they get real salty.

Personally, I don't care about getting any kills in a match. I play killer to see how it looks from their perspective and I can honestly say both sides can be extremely toxic and entitled.

I had a match where I hooked a survivor as The Legion in the basement and literally had one of the survivors, a Claudette, talk trash about me camping the hooked survivor. It was honesty their teammates fault since they immediately came to the basement when I only just hooked a Jill down there and saw them both there. So I didnt really see the point I'm leaving when I have to potential hooks there at the same time.

• latinfla4

I mean leaving 2 hooked survivors without proximity camping would be ridiculous.

There is no reason to leave.

• PNgamer
    PNgamer Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2021

The best experience you can have is 50% - 50% but that´s only my opinion

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,933
    edited October 2021

No, but the other way around. SBMM is a nightmare for Killer and anyone who actually plays Killer knows why.

I actually enjoyed playing both sides. But Killer is more stressul than it ever was, so I gave up on it and won't touch it till SBMM gets disabled or the game gets some huge balance overhaul

• cluxdx
    cluxdx Member Posts: 168

I was a survivor main...for about the first 2 weeks. I only bought the game originally because my friends played it, so we would SWF. I very quickly grew tired of sitting on generators with little else to do so I tried killer, had way more fun and committed to being a killer main from then on. I'm a pretty solid survivor but at this point I only ever play the role every now and then when I get frustrated and need a few games away from playing killer and/or have a daily.

Killers just have way more to do so it is more actively engaging to me, plus it gets a lot less monotonous when there are over 20 killers I can switch between. There's also a lot more intricacy to the role because of each killer's unique power and how they interact with different builds, so it keeps me a lot more fulfilled in my constant need for improvement.

• Hektic3000
    Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674

Im just another one of those cases in which its reversed. I never thought I would prefer survivor over killer because I see dumb teammates all the time as killer and would never want to put myself through that. Survivor used to be something I would do so that me and the gf could play together and laugh about our situations in trials. Its come to a point where I see no reason to stress about playing killer(babysitter) in high mmr lobbies, honestly mmr has killed any chance of coming into the game as killer and playing casually. I understand having close matches can be good every now and then but constantly having to play my butt off just to get a tie or lose feels kinda bad and no longer worth it.

• VanitasRyuzaki
    VanitasRyuzaki Member Posts: 110

It was only one survivor I hooked in the basement and i caught two other survivors at the killer shack when I was gonna go look for them. So there really wasn't a reason for me to leave the basement area to chase them since they came my way.

• latinfla4

Maybe with the new addon on patch but I feel boon totems need to be nerfed some.