Why don't survivors try different builds

Options

Killer main here. Most of the matches I've had recently I've had survivors run nothing but Borrowed Time, Dead Hard, Decisive Strike, and Iron Will. Honestly it gets boring because I'm always expecting those perks and just work my playstyle around them.

Comments

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

Same reason killers run meta perks. They extend the match for the person running them and increase their chances of winning.

• cantelope
    cantelope Applicant Posts: 343
    Options

Oh god it's happening to... no... no... God no... noooooooooo....

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

Perks are over-rated, and it depends on how they are used. This is a recent result I had against 4 players who were very skilled and co-ordinated. I am not sure if it was a 4-man swf, but highly likely a 2-man or 3-man. Keep in mind I randomize my builds, hence my setup. The funniest bit was I never got to use NOED - the final person fell with 1 gen left:

They may have most of the powerful perks, but it does not mean they automatically trump a weaker killer build. This game is about skill and planning, and perks are just that: a perk to aid. But using Dead Hard when the killer anticipates it makes it redundant sometimes. A perk like "Spies From The Shadows" works throughout and gives good value.

So I agree with OP that people shouldn't feel scared of experimenting more. Try out unexpected builds which can really throw off killers, and likewise killers should feel they can mix things up a bit too. You don't need the meta to win.

• VonCrow
    VonCrow Member Posts: 389
    Options

Its normal to run the most powerful perks.

But I have to say that survivors rely too much on Dead Hard these days. Is like they forgot how to win a mindgame without it.

If someday DH is reworked I wonder if there would be survivors there that know how to loop and trick the killer.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

Honestly... From the bottom of my heart... Thank you.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

With the result that things have become so predictable that these perks are just annoying on both sides by now, cause killers either learned to play around them or will just BM making the perks useless and/or you'll have survivors that rely so much on these perks that they don't know what to do when the killer knows how to play around them.

I mean, have you ever seen red ranks panic and start running around like headless chicken and getting into each others way just because you managed to bait a Dead Hard (y'know, the perk some killers cry bloody murder over because it is presumably unbaitable and OP?)

People playing around with builds would make things much more interesting and 'fun' for both sides.

• SirGando
    SirGando Member Posts: 374
    Options

Same reason why killers run the same builds. you cant blame any of em. Metaperks are meta for a reason. Try to deal with it as good as possible. i got used to it, but i understand that it can get boring.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,804
    Options

If I don’t run BT then the killer can just go after the unhooked guy.

If I don’t run DS then the killer can just focus me out of the game, besides DS is fair now.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521
    Options

Because ever since mmr matches are nothing but camping and tunneling and ds finally gets put into use

• Jeromy137
    Jeromy137 Member Posts: 348
    Options

I experiment with builds but sometimes I will use a meta perk or two when doing a tome challenge that requires a specific perk.

The perk I use the most is breakdown though it is my favorite perk to use

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,776
    Options

eh

There really isn't any incentive to use perks outside of the meta

Why would I not use stuff like borrowed time or decisive which makes the gameplay better

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    Options

I've also been called a tryhard for No Mither. I can't get anything right 😓

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,140
    Options

- why are my opponents all use meta and gen rush/tunnel/camp?

+ dont try hard yourself, you will face opponents who also dont try hard and dont use 4 meta.

- youre probably play at low mmr so you dont have the right to discuss.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

So it's OK for killers to run the same builds but survivors aren't? Is this a killer vs survivor post?

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285
    Options

DS and BT are a necessity because I'm not going into queue for 5 minutes to be eliminated in 3. The other two slots are the only ones I experiment with.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

At least with BT it's kinda mandatory at this point.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,804
    Options

It should be criminal to unhook your teammates without it

• botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633
    Options

Its simple its because those perk are op. True survivor got a lot of good perk but those perk outclasse all of them by a miles.

If you want to face a better variable of perk on the survivor you need to trow a lot of match so your mmr drop

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

No but I find it odd how he is talking about survivor using the same perks but not acknowledge that killers do to.

• tennmio
    tennmio Member Posts: 354
    Options

Nah. Survivor should learn how to unhook safely instead of just farming with a 15 sec useless perk. I prefer we'll make it, as most players are too scared to do a gen or anything injured and waste everyones time selfcaring in a far away unsave corner for half the match. Bt is only useful in endgame or if the killer is camping.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,095
    Options

Aren't survivors supposed to be ditching atleast 2 of those meta perks for the boon totem perks when the mid-chapter comes out? I keep seeing people say that's going to happen so just wait a couple weeks and you won't have to deal with 2 of those perks.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

Running anything but the top 6 perks means they open the opportunity to get punished for their mistakes. The whole point of the top 6 perks is so you can make 12+ mistakes in a game and not be punished for it.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,140
    Options

Me as all time Solo Survivor, mine are:

• Lithe, Fixate, UrbanE, Tenacity
    • Lithe, Dance with me, Quick quiet, Ironwill
    • Lithe, Window of Op, Small game, Kindred
    • Autodidact, Desperate measure, Botany, Empathy

I play at mmr where Killers rarely tunnel / camp, so I have alot of fun. Sometimes I have enough luck that escape more which lead me to higher mmr where Killers constantly tunnel. But I prefer to die more and drop my own mmr so I can have fun again, rather than putting some more 2nd chances to win and then vs even more hardcore Killers.

Can I ask what are your main perk builds? Do you tunnel or camping? Because if your build is weak and fair play but still facing squads full of 2nd chance, your skill may be too great that the game has you on extreme high mmr. If you tryhard, its understandable that you vs tryhard. For this sole reason, I dont use more than 2 second chances.

• lordfart
    lordfart Member Posts: 538
    Options

I like running off meta stuff as both killer and survivor coz people usually don't expect it. My mate and I at the moment have been experimenting with repressed alliance + blast mine and it's giving us some really rude plays lmao

• MrCalac123
    MrCalac123 Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

Because the current meta build is too good, it is full of second chances spread across 4 Survivors. That's 16 chances to escape the jaws of death. Dead Hard, Unbreakable, Borrowed Time and Iron Will imo are too strong, and take a ton of control away from Killer at no cost of the Survivor. Unbreakable counters the strategy in slugging, Dead Hard is a free chase extender that can fix a mistake and waste double or more of the Killers time multiple times in one match, Iron Will takes away an entire gameplay aspect in hearing Survivors, and Borrowed Time makes it so Survivors can bumrush saves at very little risk.

Decisive is fair, it got the nerf it needed, now the rest of these perks need to catch up already.

• R2k
    R2k Member Posts: 1,069
    Options

I run Bt, Spine chills, Kindred and SB. It's not meta and it gives me very comfortable gameplay. I think those who rely on 4 meta perk builds just refuse to get better and are meta slaves.

Ds, Dh, Bt + boon perks. Meta won't go anywhere.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,997
    Options

I try to. But I lose most of the time if I don't run meta.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

Imma let out my bias opinions here

Killers

I feel that killers are forced into running meta perks because of core game

Gens go too fast because survivors lack a objective prior to gens

Horrible map designs

Poorly designed killers

Survivors

I feel that survivor shouldn't have a meta because if you get good at survivor you really don't need the meta, but the reason why they run meta perks is because

90% of the time they base their build off of how killers are playing

Meta perks makes the game easier for them

Because survivors love chases they, run perks to prolong chases.

That's just my bias opinion though. As a killer I usually run 2 gen defense perks so that I can actually have fun, wave as a survivor I completely stop running the meta because it made gameplay stale

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

As a killer main, I didn't really invest too many bloodpoints into survivor. So I have to use the same stuff. Albeit, I do not run meta. I am a Slippery meat gamer. So, you know, killers surely love my unique build.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

I change build all the time, would get tired of the game otherwise. Sometimes I play without perks and I'm solo survivor.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options
  • VicThor
    VicThor Member Posts: 347
    Options

As survivor I use different builds, sometimes gen rush build, sometime quicker healing build, sometimes hiding build.

Killer wise it’s way harder to play without meta, you will get destroyed. Fun fact I tried all chase build demo with spirit fury+endurance+ the two chase totem. It was surprisingly effective

• Sumnox
    Sumnox Member Posts: 605
    Options

Because every time I try to switch it up and have fun I get camped and tunneled out of the game at 5 generators.

• GarlicRice
    GarlicRice Member Posts: 118
    Options

I only started in June, I don't use those perks myself apart from Iron Will and recently used BT on Zarina. Apart from that, I like to use perks like Kindred.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,095
    Options

I was being facetious, I agree meta won't change. Mostly amused that there's been posts for days that both boon totems will get equipped by all survivors and then here's a post asking why survivors only play 4 perks.