What does everyone think of the Midnight Grove event?

Options

Although the event has only been out for about a day, I would like to know how everyone feels about the Midnight Grove event. What do you like about it? What do you not like? Do you think the pumpkins are a fun gameplay addition? Do you like the new skins and charms? How does this event compare to other Halloween events, both from Dead by Daylight and other games?

Personally, I like the event but I think it could be a little better. The new menu looks great and the event tome is a really nice addition. The skins look great, and so far the event tome stories are good as well. I also like the pumpkin mechanics, although I think the time it takes to search for and smash one far outweighs the potential reward. Still, I would've liked if the event had some lore significance, like the blight events, and I would rather have had a new main menu theme instead of a reused theme that (in my opinion) doesn't fit as well with the event. But what do you think of the event?

Comments

• Jay_Whyask
    Jay_Whyask Member Posts: 557
    Options

I'm assuming there's more gameplay changes to come after the first week. The event tome is split into two parts, week one and week two.

I find it hard to believe that they would state they're going to put more effort into the Halloween event, just to recycle events they've done before without doubling bp gains.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,093
    Options

Nobody is using the damn petals except me :,(

It's a'ight. It's nothing special, especially for those of us who were around last year as it's basically last years event but we're kicking pumpkins instead of poking weird flower things.

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 938
    Options

The bloodpoint offerings and in-game opportunities from this event are negligible, so in that regard I barely even recognize that an event is going on.

The pumpkins are cute, but I'm fairly certain literally any game acknowledging Halloween in any form would have some somewhere, so that's not impressive to me for a dedicated horror event.

The halloween rift with free cosmetics is the only thing interesting, but even then it's just a carbon copy of the tomes that have been available on a regular basis for years.

---

In short the event is cute, but it's not really impressive nor awe-inspiring.

• SAégis
    SAégis Member Posts: 99
    Options

it was OKAYISH if they didnt like basically completly erase other event for something like that.

• AnObserver
    AnObserver Member Posts: 747
    Options

I like the new tech they've introduced, ability to increase and replace Totems with different types of "Totems" that can apply an effect on the player after interacting.

I like the bit of randomness yet minimal impact Totems provide ( with a slight BP and RNG novelty incentive)

I like the merging of a "rift track" directly into a tome that provides a more in-world layout to the "Event rift" (Will be interested if the Battlepass ever shifts more into that kind of direction, such that you can always "unlock" the premium rift challenges in previous tomes, or if the free track is simply merged into the tomes themselves, or some other method).

However I would say that the in-Trial gameplay feels very detached from the Event tome progression. There's no notification of partial progress as you complete various activities, and it's more about being a stat-tracker against existing gameplay than anything tied into the new Event.

• musstang62
    musstang62 Member Posts: 516
    edited October 2021
    Options

Last year's halloween event could be summed up as "hey we made some new skins, go buy them", so this is infinitely better than that one. But... still not that great. If you don't have Mikaela or if you don't play Doctor... get #########, I guess? Don't know why they couldn't make it so that you could choose 2 blighted cosmetic sets again like the last good halloween event

I guess what I'm trying to say is this - this event is better than I expected, but my expectations were pretty low. Other non horror games continue to have much better halloween events. They could've made this much more than it is

• mike2835
    mike2835 Member Posts: 83
    Options

I think the gens should be worth more, I'm getting like an extra 3k per game sad

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

I don't like the default 1 event gen/hook and making players rely on offering to increase. Not only does it not feel like an event it also it ends out being killers preventing survivors from working on event gen or survivors avoiding event hooks to prevent other side from getting event points, so really just unfun. They should have it be more like Lunar New Year - all gens/hooks are event ones, everyone receives BP when gens are finished, and offering focuses on increasing BP. Also wish on bloodweb it'd be atleast 1 item, 1 add on and 1 offering - I'm getting ridiculous amounts of add-ons and most bloodwebs are only getting 1 thing from the event.

I do like the pumpkins. I also like the tome - only change there would be having 2 options for challenges you can do to get the cosmetics.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,659
    Options

It's a simple event and of course it could be way better. But it's quite fun going around kicking pumpkins and I like the Halloween rift. It doesn't deviate much from normal DBD gameplay which is a good thing since I actually want to have normal games.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

I’ve enjoyed it more than the previous couple of years. I like 2018’s the most. I wish there was a base of two event hooks and 2 event gens though.

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443
    Options

It's good. Is it as good as they made it sound? Absolutely not. But is it good? Yeah.

Also do cursed seeds work the same as pestula petals? I'm not sure why but it feels different.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    Options

The rift has soul, but if you're not doing the rift then it's hard to notice anything is going on.

• JacksonWise
    JacksonWise Member Posts: 651
    Options

I appreciate the free cosmetics, charms, and extra challenges but the constant infinite loading screens and desync ruins it.

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 949
    Options

The Rift recolors are actually pretty good for this Rift, the Midnight Grove challenges will reduce the grind which is welcome.

But it doesn't feel like Halloween. Especially since its so hard to find the offerings in webs and nobody's using them.

• Feyd
    Feyd Member Posts: 428
    Options

This event, like all events, is just an excuse for this horrible community to dial the toxic behaviors to eleven. The overwhelming majority of players go out of their way to make sure people get as little reward and enjoyment as possible.

But hey, let's censor more mean words instead of treating the cause of them.

• Benno101
    Benno101 Member Posts: 47
    Options

I find it underwhelming, I don't even bother with the offerings, the little amount of BP it brings.

• Mekochi
    Mekochi Member Posts: 942
    Options

Very annoying, it feels like ever since it started the amount of bugs increased, it's very underwhelming and makes the event hard to enjoy

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

It's ok.

7/10.

I like the tome addition and the easy grind for cosmetics. Smashing pumpkins is fun but could have been better, like make a killer/survivor aura appear, make a survivor scream and give them 800 bp for the trouble, give an extra perk effect or even take an existing one away, etc etc. You know, fun #########.

• Anara
    Anara Member Posts: 1,297
    Options

The event tome is a great addition, the new loading screen and menu background are good.

The pumpinks are meh

• Sweet_Tour
    Sweet_Tour Member Posts: 558
    Options

A missed opportunity to making smashing pumpkins jokes.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,447
    Options

I think it's okay and it's good that you're just given the cosmetics when you get to them. however it's more of the same stuff we're already doing with pumpkins attached. with the new survivor not even being fully functional and the game having the loading issues that bring it to a halt it's not that good

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

I expected cakes in the bloodweb. Smashing pumpkins is fun, but... Like, I feel the reward isn't quite there. I feel like completing these gens/hooking should give 10k bloodpoints to actually encourage doing it/offering seeds. Especially as we do not have double bloodpoints.

Oh, and no shards either. The anniversary was better in every way except for the pumpkins. Those are more fun than the crown stand.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203
    Options

It's fine, but adding pumpkins to smash isn't enough to me. I wanted a bit more. Like, a new mechanic.

The pumpkins are fun to smash the ten first times, then everyone forgets about them. The generators/hooks are the same, just some pumpkins around them.

The tome event is pretty cool tho. I love to get cosmetics while doing challenge. But that's not enough for me to call it an event.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,982
    Options

It's decent, I like the surprises from kicking pumpkins (ex: you can either get haste, hindered, or neither). The event should last longer though, especially because of the, ya know...

It could be WAY better but it's still a million times better than that recycled ass 5th anniversary event.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

There's not much to it, really. The "special spawning hook/gen" is done in almost every single event. The "Pumpkin smash" is just recycled from kicking the gnome, and there's not a big benefit from hunting down and kicking pumpkins at all. The tome is just an extra tome, there's nothing super special about it besides the unlockables. I don't dislike the event but I feel there could be a lot more to it. I wish there was more point to the pumpkins.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

It's better than last year's event and I really like the Halloween tome, the free cosmetics, and the pumpkin smashing.

The thing I don't like that you have to complete an event gen to get BP from it. I also don't like that you have to bring an event offering to get extra event gens. There's also the issue of some killers seeing event gens and only guarding those specific gens.

Overall, it's an okay event, but it could be better.

• SloppyVoldemort
    SloppyVoldemort Member Posts: 452
    edited October 2021
    Options

I'm not using it because of the infinite loading bug (or at least loading for a very long time).

I like the event but also don't. The pumpkins are really fun and I like that there is a special rift for the event.

What I don't like is that there is a completely new offering, making my 61 petals useless on Kate from the past events. Thats like 180k BP I gave out and can't use. And I have petals on other killers/survivors as well.

And the fact you don't get any bonus BP when someone else completes a special gen, I don't understand that decision.

Survivors can also just sabo your event hooks again, which is dumb.

• Rancid_Discharge
    Rancid_Discharge Applicant Posts: 193
    Options

It's boring and adds literally nothing to the gameplay. Just like every single other "event" that's ever happened in this game.

• Iudex_Nemesis
    Iudex_Nemesis Member Posts: 326
    Options

Well....we're just smashing pumpins so not much to it. Some shards for rewards would have been nice.

I didn't buy the new survivor so the outfit is useless. As for the doctor skin it's alright but doesn't suit my tastes so I'll probably never use it.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

I like it, but the bugs/crashes/infinite loading is spoiling it to be honest.

Could of done with a bloodhunt during the event, it would of been a nice gesture after a rocky few weeks.

• MissKitty95
    MissKitty95 Member Posts: 786
    Options

Can’t do a event gen and game keeps crashing so when I do eventually get in I jsut run around and kick pumpkins :)

• Youko
    Youko Member Posts: 187
    Options

To be honest, I am disappointed. This is mostly because the devs decided to remove other annual content and essentially gave us nothing new or excited. They have been overpromising more and more, and that's frustrating. Here's a breakdown more specifically of what's particular to this event that I do not like.

1. The new set pieces are very lackluster. The smashable pumpkins are not a particularly good looking asset and don't really pop in the environment. The tangled generators are even worse. If the vines were pulsing with pustula serum or rotting or had some sort of nice particle effects, I would like them. But a small candle, brown vines, and very small bland pumpkins do little to stand out. Having only 1 guaranteed a match means most of the map has no special feel at all.
    2. Stingy offerings. Both the system by which to earn the points, which was already criticized in the past, was brought back, and rarity of the special offering is disappointing. This also adds to the former point of not adding to the map if players simply don't have the offering. Pumpkin spawns also seem tied to this, so that if many offerings aren't played, there are next to no pumpkins to kick. It seems once people realized this that they may also be holding back the offering in hopes of a hotfix to make it better before the event ends, as the number of seeds being played dropped significantly for me today (may also be due to all the crashing/infinite load screens).
    3. Disappointing skins. While I love Mikaela's Tome skin, that's about it so far. The blighted skins were amazing additions when they came out, and still some of my favorite skins. They tied into the lore and theme of that year's Halloween event and the subsequent ones released were fun too. However, we can't even earn all of the new skins at the outset, and this time-gating during such a short even makes absolutely NO sense. I also would honestly have preferred if all Halloween related items were on this tome as well, as I don't pay for the pass unless I've made good progress (which occurs loooong after Halloween has come and gone).

I'll try not to be a total negative Nancy and throw out some things I would like to see, (though I will totally be a Nancy and say I don't expect these things to happen...).

1. Skins tightly knit to lore or a core theme like Hallowed Blight.
    2. All gens and hooks decorated with the theme they have chosen.
    3. Full set-dressing for the maps. A change in lighting, screen filters, the moon or sky, anything that brings a cohesive and interesting look to the map. Decorate with new assets that match the theme. For one good example, check out Overwatch's Halloween maps Hollywood and Eichenwald.
    4. Find ways to add alternative objectives to the maps that don't detract from normal gameplay too much (or separate lobbies into Halloween unranked matches vs. standard rank matches. Choose when queuing).

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Smashing pumpkins is fun and i've had a couple of times where the speedboost allowed me to get a hit i normally couldn't.

The blight serum addon is just fun as well so glad i can use it again.

Other then that it's nothing tooo special but imo it doesn't really need to be.

My only complaint would be that the seeds are a bit too rare. I generally need to go through multiple bloodwebs to get a couple and especially if you play multiple characters it can get a bit annoying

• alex511
    alex511 Applicant Posts: 56
    edited October 2021
    Options

I like the grove skins and charms, Frankendoc is a top skin and the blight rushes are fun but i don't like the rift skins being Halloween themed, it's one night while rift is three month, how do i give a damn about Halloween skins in december? Even xmas skins (please no) would make more sense... Generally i don't like the event for how broken everything is, they do a free weekend to attract new players and what do they show? A technical mess.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

There's an event? I haven't noticed it.

• MyelinXCVIII
    MyelinXCVIII Member Posts: 163
    Options

Honestly it's not really much of an event. Gens look different, hooks look different and pumpkins exist... Cool.

The bloodpoint gift was the best part, would've preferred a bloodhunt though.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

I was never big on events but I miss some of the old ones especially bbq, but it could be nostalgia because rewards now are a lot better than that one.

I am not complaining. Cosmetics are decent.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,093
    Options

I didn't realize that the only way to get the bonus BP on gens is to actually be the one to finish the gen (so I could get a special gen to 99, get chased off, and then the Blendette hiding in the corner finishes it off and gets my 3,000 bonus BP).

My opinion has gone from "A'ight" to "This kind of sucks"

No wonder no one is bothering using the pedals.

• notlonely
    notlonely Member Posts: 391
    Options

The event isn't bad but it could be improved in many aspects.

• Sandt21
    Sandt21 Member Posts: 761
    Options

So........can someone explain the point of kicking pumpkins? Is it for a challange?

• TapeKnot
    TapeKnot Member Posts: 248
    Options

Kicking pumpkins has a 40% chance to increase your speed for a short time, a 20% chance to reduce your speed for a short time, and a 40% chance to give no buff/debuff. Kicking pumpkins also progresses archive challenges in the Midnight Grove tome and they provide bloodpoints in the special category when kicked (destroying a pumpkin normally gives you 250 bloodpoints, kicking a pumpkin with a speed boost inside gives you 1000 bloodpoints).

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

I like the tome but its a bit annoying that its running along side the all kill tome which has only just started aswell. The maps aren't nowhere near spruced up enough. Poor effort overall

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 938
    Options

Holiday pumpkin grenades where they explode into pumpkin bits and color the killers screen orange with goo. Basically flashbangs and blind status with new aesthetics.

Toilet paper rolls as temporary holiday items that you can throw and make a limited amount of tissue trails with. Even if the throw is short and uses diversions limited trajectory path. Excess TP can disappear when the trail reaches x amount.

Fun and interactive challenges where you have to poke the killer x number of times, or have to find a spooky shrine and do a silly halloween dance (temporary custom emote) for a bonus BP multiplier that game.

Actual generic festive decorations that you can place on every map's wall (like banners or something).

---

Four ideas off the top of my head, most of which use current in-game mechanics to provide a unique experience. I really doubt it'd be expensive or difficult to implement, and they could be reused inexpensively in future events.

I just feel like the current events they give lack any form of effort or imagination.

Seriously, if you devs are reading this, get in a room together and think of any number of silly ideas like these. Then pick the interactive and unique ones that are plausible with your current resources. Halloween is supposed to be your big horror event to attract and retain your player base's interest, it should be an experience.