Distortion Buff

Options

Could we get a buff to Distortion. Maybe allow survivors to do a totem, unhook a survivor or work so long a gen to get tokens back.

Comments

• IWFreak
    IWFreak Member Posts: 252
    Options

Or increase the duration per token, since a few options now are longer than Distortion.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,997
    Options

Distortion is already a strong perk. It not only hides you for three different aura readings for up to 30 seconds, but it gives you info. It tells you which aura reading perks the killer is using, which is valuable information, as you can now avoid those instances.

Distortion pings at the start of the game? You know the killer has Lethal Pursuer, you can hide, and avoid other survivors for the first 20-30s of the match, and you've now eliminated one killer perk.

Distortion pings when you're healing a survivor? Nurses Calling, don't heal close to the killer.

Distortion pings after a survivor is hooked? BBQ, now you know to get in a locker or hide behind a generator when the killer picks someone up.

Distortion DOESN'T ping when a survivor is hooked? Great! No BBQ, now you don't need to hide when the killer picks someone up, saving time!

This is information that serves you for the entire game, not merely the 30 seconds of active concealment.

The only buff I would give it, is a small area of effect, 4m like Prove Thyself, where other survivors are protected. This is because if it pings with Nurses Calling while you're healing someone else... the survivor you're healing is still revealed, making that hidden status completely worthless, and now the killer knows you have Distortion because they saw the aura of a survivor getting healed by no one.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

With the Killer aura reading meta being a thing, then there should be strong perks to counter it. Distortion works to counter aura reading abilities 3 times, which isn't much when you have so many different aura reading abilities, not to mention add-ons that also read players auras. You can literally have Distortion gone in the first 30 seconds of the match because of all the Killer aura reading perks and add-ons.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,997
    edited October 2021
    Options

Distortion does counter aura reading more than 3 times, because it tells you what aura reading capabilities the killer has.

If you get 'revealed', and you see Distortion going on cooldown, then you now know what will reveal your aura to the killer. Avoid that thing! Congratulations, you're now hidden for the rest of the game.

The only thing Distortion cant counter is persistent aura reading effects, such as Scratched Mirror Myers, or All-Seeing Blood Wraith. No amount of additional tokens will be enough to counter those, and they shouldn't. Imagine loading in as Scratched Mirror Myers, and you literally can't see any survivors for the entire game...

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389
    Options

Distortion is awful. It works precisely three times and if the killer has no aura reading perks it does nothing. It should have a way to regain tokens and a secondary effect.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

Distortion is as dead as Inner Strength and Counterforce are due to boons. So they better figure something out for these perks.

• GillyBeannn
    GillyBeannn Member Posts: 549
    Options

While we're at it, can we do something about Sole Survivor?

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n
    R1ch4rd_N1x0n Member Posts: 1,731
    Options

I once posted a thread about an idea to rework Distortion, here it is, copy-pasted:

When your aura would be shown to the killer, Distortion activates for 10 seconds, hiding your aura and scratch marks, and consumes a token. I don't think Distortion should be token based like this, but rather have 20 seconds overall of aura hiding. Here's how it would work;

Whenever your aura would be shown to the killer, and the killer is looking in your direction, Distortion activates. While Distortion is active, your aura will not be shown to the killer and you do not leave scratch marks. Distortion will deactivate once it has been active for a total of 10/15/20 seconds.

Basically, whenever it activates and hides your aura, a meter on the perk icon will begin to drain so as long as it still hides your aura. This meter will pause once it stops hiding your aura, and once the meter is drained completely, Distortion will no longer work. Additionally, it will not activate if the killer isn't looking in your direction, which will greatly help prevent wasting time on the perk, as the aura hiding is worthless if the killer doesn't even look in your direction.

• Munqaxus
    Options

I would say that Counterforce was never useful. It should show the closest totem, not the furthest away. Inner Strength is still useful.

Distortion has always needed a buff. 3 tokens is not enough. Maybe Distortion should be like Inner Strength. Hide in a locker for 10/9/8 seconds and get 2 tokens. When all the tokens are gone, you can hide in the locker again for 2 more.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

Counterforce is mostly only good for the stackable +20% speed, and Inner Strength for stowing a heal away: but you are basically now throwing the game if you cleanse totems. The reason is that you are removing the option to bless an entire team with self-heals, faster heals of others, and removing scratch marks and auras in an area.

I get why Distortion only has three tokens that can’t be replenished: because hiding scratch marks, and especially auras, is an insanely strong ability. But now Shadow Step will allow it infinite times for a team if one person runs the perk!

The problem with infinite aura blocking is that you negate a host of killer perks - even the niche ones like A Nurse’s Calling or I’m All Ears. Boons are insane, and I am a survivor main!

• Munqaxus
    Options

Yes, but isn't there a big void for survivor anti-aura reading perks at this point in the game. You have BBQ, I'm All Ears, A Nurses Calling, all the aura reading add-ons, etc and no counter on the survivor side except once in a while, you can hide in lockers. There's going to be more anti-aura reading perks for survivors just because there's a big need for them and the Developers have noticed that. Shadow Step won't be the only anti-aura reading perk. I expect Distortion to be buff and I expect the developers will probably add a couple more anti-aura reading perks.

As for scratch marks, Distortion really doesn't help you much with that. You really need anti-scratch marks when you are getting chased and usually the killer isn't using aura reading at that point.

• tekkersqt
    tekkersqt Member Posts: 25
    Options

I'm pretty sure you were never being chased by a killer with Undying when you're running Distortion.

The way it works is good, you just need more of it. Earning 2 Tokens per totem back seems like a very good balance to me. Doesn't mean everybody does 5 totems and if they do, be happy. They do second objectives.