Mikaela should only be able to bless a totem once

SasukeKun
SasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858
edited October 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

4 people running her perks is enough, the totem should either be destroyed if it's snuffed or you can only use the perk once. This over and over crap idea is really just ruining the killer experience further.

To those people who say "well i just spent time blessing it for it to immediately get snuffed and then im out of a perk for the trial"

Hmm..sounds familiar doesn't it

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,616

How many times do we have to teach you this lesson, old man..............

So, there are two things to say here. The first is that the idea of the perk is to provide a continual safe haven- both for the survivors to get buffed, but also to keep them off generators + out of position for the killer. If the perks are single or limited use, they won't achieve that goal; it's not a question of balance, it's a question of what the perks are for.

The second is your allusion towards Hex perks. They're not the same mechanic- they shouldn't function the same way. It's not just that it's obviously fine for Hexes to be removed on use and Boons to be continually blessable; there's no point comparing them that way at all because they're not designed the same way nor do they do the same things.

• SasukeKun

You can still use the perk just like a killer can use a hex, once it's gone its gone. Let's get off the easy mode mindset

• jesterkind

Precisely! It'd be given the same restrictions as a Hex despite not being balanced or designed the same way. What a weird decision that would be, solely because some people on the forums don't like the perk very much.

If the perks are too strong then the perks need to be tuned down; the mechanic itself is designed in a very specific way for a very specific purpose, and breaking totems on snuffing would ruin that.

• SasukeKun

Not really, not when you have 3 other people who can use blessings, OVER AND OVER mind you. It doesn't need a nerf but seeing how you step on the totem it being destroyed or something only makes more sense to me.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

It should not be worth 1500 boldness bps each successive blessing either.

• jesterkind

If it doesn't need a nerf then it's continued presence in the Trial isn't a problem. Remember, it's supposed to be present most of the time- it's supposed to have downtime when the killer snuffs it, that action is not intended to be permanent.

Any balancing decisions have to be made with that fact in mind: it's supposed to be present for a majority of the Trial, if the survivor wants it to be.

• SasukeKun

The range it has currently i think is fine but i still stand on if you can use it over and over and why like you explained. The totem should still not stand after being put out. You'd just not be able to keep going back to the same totem

• jesterkind

I- alright, one more time.

That is the design of boon totems. There is no real purpose to boon totems outside of them being relit over and over. That is the design niche they are aiming to fill and removing that is tantamount to removing boon totems as a whole.

Side note, as the killer you should want survivors to be going to the same totem multiple times instead of lighting new ones- that way you know where they are and they aren't scurrying off into the dark to hide.

• SasukeKun

what you said in your last park makes more sense to me, thanks

• jesterkind

Sure thing, happy to help!

Always nice when a conversation can have a civil and polite resolution, haha.

• Voodoo101
    Voodoo101 Member Posts: 237

For what it's worth. I think that she should be able to bless a totem over and over, however it should not be the same one. Just as the survivors can break a HEX totem, then the killer should be able to break this one, Mikaela can then find another dull totem to bless if she wants. This will also make it hard for the killer because in looking for another totem, they may find a HEX.

What I find as a killer is that I just ignore it as it is. I know where it is, I break it once and then if it is blessed again, I avoid that area and spend my time pressuring the gens.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Can't heal if I tombstone em. Even with shadow step I can snuff those pesky things a mile away.

• DaddyFatSacks420
    DaddyFatSacks420 Member Posts: 183

I could see boon perks having a certain number of tokens, with one being used every time you bless a totem. Just spitballing maybe 3-5 starting tokens and possibly ways to earn more tokens (hook saves, cleansing hex totems...)

• Prex91
    Prex91 Member Posts: 764
    edited October 2021

Killer should can break totems.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,068

Ok, but with a change:

Either, Killers have to curse their Hex-Totem, spend 14 seconds on it and Survivors can cleanse it in 2 seconds.

Or

Survivors have their Boon automatically, but Killers have to spend 14 seconds to snuff it out and can be interrupted.

• Knotty1985
    Knotty1985 Member Posts: 66

Well if you want to even the scales then..

Boon perks would have to be hidden from the killer, no noise, no range bubble.. same as hex totems, you have to scan the map to find them.

otherwise boon totems would really need a much greater range and boost to compensate, HEX's are literally brutal to the entire team, boons rely on being in the right place at the right time, yes if there are multiple it can be horrible but so can the right hex's if they aren't found by the survivors

• SasukeKun

"really brutal" all it takes is someone distracting and its gone.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

"Only one totem can be blessed at a time"

Read the perk description

• Knotty1985
    Knotty1985 Member Posts: 66

But you still need to find it to get rid of it, which unless your really lucky or its badly place, can be quite the time consuming task

Killers can see the the boon area of effect and hear the noise of it, making it easy to locate

• Unironicalygoth
    Unironicalygoth Member Posts: 175

Yes just mikaela everyone else should be able to use it as often as possible though

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

Yeah, one survivor off gens for 14 seconds in order to give their team 2-4 additional perks in perpetuity if they pressure the killer hard enough that he never has time to find and snuff the boon. The horror. What a waste.

And out of position where? In a place the killer has no interest in being? That's hardly out of position; it's perfectly positioned. Circle of healing obliterates an entire play style. Hit and run is not a thing anymore because survivors have an infinite healing resource. It's broken. Power creep at it's finest.

• jesterkind

More than fourteen seconds the first time, and an additional fourteen seconds every single time they want to relight it. If the killer never finds the boon it's because survivors are looping and being downed away from it, so the boon's clearly not doing very much for them if they're never in its radius.

Out of position as in not on a generator and returning to the same spot over and over. If survivors are there making use of the boon, that's where the killer wants to be. Pretty basic, that one.

I will agree with you that hit and run is probably not going to work against CoH, you're gonna have to commit to downing people instead of spreading injuries.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

Alright, so Boon Circle of Healing can be buffed to 500%? I mean, 100% isnt high risk, high reward, especially not when you need to spend 14 seconds applying it.

Hexes are applied instantly, without killers having to do anything, with very powerful effects that can lead to game changing results if left alone.

Boons require 14-24 seconds of application, dont really do much that other perks cant do either with more consistency(Dance With Me and Deception remove scratchmarks AND blood for the next 4 seconds without needing to spend 14 seconds cleansing a totem; We'll Make It gives you 100% healing speed that you can use anywhere on the map for the next 90 seconds) and require the survivor to be there. Hexes do not require the killer to go into a 32 meter range of a hex to apply Devour Hope.

You cannot compare boons and hexes, the only thing they share in common, is that they are applied to totems. Their mechanics have completely different purposes and are balanced towards those purposes.

• scion_mike
    scion_mike Member Posts: 10

i agree, make it similar to hex totems or make hex totems be able to be re applied, or allow you to destroy a totem completely, this boon totem thing is way to favorable to survivor compared to how hexes work. It's very unfair.