So, why are maps still huge?

The main reason gens and slowdown are even an issue is because of map size. Tune it down so we can have atleast one good balance change

Comments

• AkiTheKitten
    AkiTheKitten Member Posts: 670

Just had a match as Plague in the Temple of Purgation. My only saving grace was Ruin

• AkiTheKitten

Most maps should be cut in half, that would literally solve like 70% of the game's problems. Like, the Game is huge for no reason for example

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

The only maps that need to shrink a little are RPD and backwater swamp.

• AkiTheKitten
  • Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

Bigger maps are prettier, so devs prefer going that way. It's not even that bad nowadays tbh, they used to be even worse.

• Rancid_Discharge
    Rancid_Discharge Applicant Posts: 193

The funny thing is they tried this with temple of purgation and the swamp and those both still remain stupidly large and hard to patrol.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,901

Red forest, cowshed, rotten fields, blood lodge, haddonfield

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    edited October 2021

Map size is a tough issue because not all Killers are equal. Nurse or Blight for example don't mind large maps because they move so quickly. Shrink maps and the best Killers become even stronger. We need to buff weaker Killers without over-tuning the best ones.

• Impose
    Impose Member Posts: 400

disturbed ward. all corn maps. red forest. rpd. temple of purgation. backwater. pale rose. the game. lerys.

Felt like helping you since you left off so many

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

Map size isnt really the issue tho, patrol potential is. RPD isnt a bad map because it has a lot of paths, RPD is bad because it's nearly impossible for killers to patrol gens. Mothers Dwelling isnt a bad map because its big, Mothers Dwelling is bad because sometimes there isnt even a single 3-gen potential.

Move 1-2 generators slightly closer to the center of the patrol route, and those maps are fine.

Let alone that the biggest reason for generator issues comes from the chainability of loops. If a survivor goes from 1 loop to the next, they need to be at risk of getting hit, or they need to have stunned a killer. Right now, you dont need to stun a killer. I actually think Bloodlust should be removed and be replaced with a generic movementspeed buff when outside of chase(with a 10-15 second cooldown after 1 chase has ended, dont want killers like Wraith or Blight to catch up too fast ). That way, a killer has more mobility when not in chase, which is important to pretty much all killers, and smart killers could avoid chase as long as possible by walking backwards, giving them the ability to catch up to survivors holding W faster, while making loopable tiles much more important to a chase.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

It's pretty clear that the RCPD is the largest map in the game currently. I can't find a number on its Square Tiles or Square Meters, though, to compare to the others. Even the wiki has it listed at 0 for both values (probably due to how often it was turned off).

Prior to its nerfing, the Pale Rose swamp map was 284 square tiles. It got nerfed down to 215 sqT, then AGAIN down to 161 sqT, which is where it sits today. The largest map that has measurements is, obviously, Mother's Dwelling, at 188 sqT.

Of course, these numbers can be misleading. Midwich is technically the smallest map, at 113 sqT, but because so much of it is long corridors, you can't take diagonals to go from one corner to the other with any ease, and have to walk the perimeter, checking rooms along the way. The Game is larger, at 142 sqT, but the upstairs is completely open and even the downstairs is mostly open, making it actually far faster to navigate.

RCPD has all the problems of Midwich (tons of side rooms, long, unbroken walks to get from A to B with no diagonals to cut down the distance) AND all the problems of Mother's Dwelling and old Pale Rose. I REALLY hope somebody gets around to charting out the actual size of the structure (in, I dunno, Kill You Friends mode, counting 32m segments with Whispers maybe), so we can see just how wildly unreasonable that map really is.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

You have to be careful with this though. If every map was the size of Dead Dog Saloon we'd have some major issues. Certain maps can definitely do with a size reduction but not all need to be super small. Please I beg of you

• AkiTheKitten

I honestly think, if map size is reduced, then we can nerf the top killers without hurting them since we'd only be bringing them down to the level of the other killers, who would then be viable due to having pressure. Map size is a huge problem for most killers, like Clown, Trickster, Pig, Ghostface.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,584

Because it is nice if they are. I would honestly hate if every map was smaller. I like big maps.

Heck, I actually think Pale Rose should return to its OG size.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024
  • Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

I personaly have no problem with big maps or indoor maps. I like both of them. However I see the problem with these maps for Killers who have no mobility or anything close to that.

The thing is that map size should hit survivors as hard as Killers. A Killer hooking a survivor on a big map forces the survivors to go on a longer detour to get the unhook also they are supposed to travel longer to reach the next generator.

This is hitting the nail I think. Most maps are not that bad with their ways and detours. They are bad because of the generator placement and potencial plays around them.

I would not nerf maps or buff Killers with no movement speed for this reason but think about how the map can be filled with places without pallets but maybe places to hide and cover without vaults or anything like that.

Corn maps are not bad for their corn part for me, they hurt my sould becaus a long wall jungle can lead to a safe tile with a pallet and into the Killer Shack on one side with the Cowshed on the other...

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

The reason there are large maps because there are high mobility killers such as Nurse, Blight, Spirit, Billy, Oni and Wraith, who can move from one side of the map to the other in a matter of seconds. On small maps, those killers absolutely decimate survivors.

So if all maps were small, those Killers would basically be guaranteed 3ks and 4ks every game. You have to have large maps for those killers and small maps for all the other killers so the kill average equals out.

• AkiTheKitten

The obvious solution to that is nerf map size to help killers with no mobility and nerf high mobility by powershifting their mobility onto another aspect of their kit

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Don’t know what you mean. I love wasting a minute of my time traversing a map the size of Jupiter as a low mobility killer.

It’s not very good for survivors either because they have to spend a great deal of time crossing the map to go save their teammate on the opposite side.

Big maps are just a time waster for both sides and not needed.

I’m looking at you Red Forest and RPD.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,238

It's not a cut and dry solution to just reduce map size. What happens balance-wise when killers like Nurse and Blight are playing on smaller maps? Hag and Twins for that matter? It would be great for killers like Trickster, Plague, etc., and I do think maps are way too big. But it's not a simple fix

• AkiTheKitten

I think the top killers are only top because they have insane map pressure due to traversing the map insanely fast. If there's no need to traverse the map fast, their mobility can be nerfed without making them trash tier

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

It's not necessarily a map nerf tho, as for seeking cover, there are plenty of locations for that. Thing is that it's not really good to seek cover as long as there are scratchmarks. Pallets are actually fine and I think there need to be more pallets and rather less windows. Shack could have 2 pallets instead of 1 pallet and 1 window, and you can see how weak the Shack becomes once 1 pallet is dropped, yet both pallets are usable for survivors and can create a lot of value. Or a pallet instead of a window next to the car in house of pain, would make it an okay-ish pallet instead of a very strong window.

Pallets offer more gameplay than windows on both sides, unless killers recieve something like Fire Up basekit(yeah, I know I said it before, I really like that idea because it feels like it should be a basekit mechanic) so they can actually use window vaults in their favour after some gens are done.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

In my opinion the only two maps that don't have to be reduced are Coal Tower and Dead Dawg Saloon aside indoor maps which are "special" without considering RPD.

And maps shaped like "I" like Azarov's resting place and Suffocation pit should be reworked because the only way to win in them as a low mobility killer is taking one side for a 3 Gen unless you're facing potatos and it's boring "3 gening" that maps everytime you spawn in them.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

I play both killer ar survivor and hate these two maps with such a passion.

• FranzDerPalme
    FranzDerPalme Member Posts: 75

That would be a super bad thing. If the maps would be cut in half you would pretty much always be in the terror radius of the killer if he has a bigger radius. Especially if he brings perks that widen it you would always hear him. Also the gens would be way to close by then and you would run into issue like five-genning yourself, because the killer could literally just hear what generator your touching rn.