Tunneling antimate survivors: Fair or not ?

Alrighty, so I recently had a game, where I decided to tunnel a particular survivor, because they weren't helping their team mates.

I was playing the pig and had four survivors - David, Feng, Jake and Jill.

During this particular match I played with the add ons which hide the boxes and everyone starts with a mask. At the start of the match I hooked Jake once. He went into the second stage (on the first hook) and died due to the mask. Jill went into the second stage on the first hook aswell. I later found Jill again and downed her, but didn't picked her up, because I hadn't hooked either Feng nor Jake and didn't want to kill her directly. I can't remember the details, but during the match I also hooked David once or twice.

At this point in the match Jill and David were Dead-Hook and Feng wasn't hooked once. I did run into Jill again, but she was still insured and barely had any chance to make any points, so I pretended I didn't see her.

Later I found Feng. I hooked her quite quickly. Then she got unhooked by Jill. Because Jill was still dead-hook I decided to go for Feng again, since she could still be hooked. And since both Jill and Jake and I think David went second stage on the first hook I figured that Feng wasn't really playing well with her mates.

After I hooked her again, she was unhooked from Jill and this time I went for Jill and killed her. Afterwards I found and killed David. Then I closed the hatch (they threw a sacrifice to let it spawn in the main building). I couldn't find Feng and she later died due to the endgame collapse.

Now this happened in the after game chat:

Purple is me, Red is Feng.

Do you think it was right to tunnel her ? What should I have done if not ?

Comments

• It's not your fault regardless of what happened or who said what first. You tried to be fair and Feng did her best, but she was not expecting you to do what you did and so she lashed out at you for it. The game was down to 2 people and your choices were slim, so no matter who got hooked first it would have been the same situation for them: not very good.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

Nah, that Feng is just being precious here. Don't let it get to you.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Here's a tip for staying sane as killer.

Turn postgame chat off.

Now.

This second.

Reenable it if you want to say something yourself, otherwise keep it off.

Trust me on this.

Then, stop caring about 'fair'. Play as greasy as you want to. Survivors are doing everything within their power to get a 4-out, fair or not, teabagging and flicking you all the way and calling you a noob in postgame.

Play to win.

Once you have the game comfortably in hand, then you can choose to ease up a bit. If you are flattening the multi-toolbox sporting SWF team of blendettes with a map offering and you ease up, then you are a nice guy and will sometimes even be thanked. If they just 4-out you, you'll be mocked.

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

Do whatever the hell you want. Is it bad to tunnel? Who cares! Why ask us? If you enjoyed tunneling her, and it made the game more fun for you, more power to you. Just do what you think is fun and don't let other people force you to stop.

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599

I'll not tunnel in most scenarios, preferring to slug and preserve at least some pressure if I really can't find anyone else.

I want my 8 hook minimum. I vastly prefer being able to 3-hook everyone, because doing that means I can say I performed well throughout - but I understand those that feel they need that extra bit of pressure, or who have a sense of 'justice' for the other team.

• nostrada96ass
    nostrada96ass Member Posts: 257

pig is wm1 and 4kill means you played well just don't listen toddlers

eventually you hit swf at high mmr and sense this game based on tunneling and situational kiss camping

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998

Tunneling in general is fine, so whatever your reason for doing it know that you're in the right.

If tunneling was a problematic mechanic, the developers would have addressed it. Instead, they gave a perk that provides resistance to it which implicitly acknowledges tunneling as a valid mechanic.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

Dont waste your time in chat at low ranks its full of ignorant and grumpy players. Tunneling isnt fun for anyone but it happens sometimes and it will often loose you the game as a killer.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,873

Turn. Off. End. Game. Chat.

• pizzaduffyhp90
    pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 901

Tunnel if you want man it's your playstyle if you wanna do you do it if you don't well than you don't have to

• MrCalac123
    MrCalac123 Member Posts: 1,147

Tunneling? I prefer to call it making the logical decision. Why would I chase your healthy teammate and a nice wounded snack is right in front of me?

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

I've done the same in many situations where I don't go after someone dead on hook if it's been too short a game and go after someone else. Depends on the situation.

And yeah there are probably times where I've been upset a killer went after me despite could've gone after someone else. Wouldn't msg them though.

Things happen all I can say 🤷

• legacycolt
    legacycolt Member Posts: 1,684

Why are you asking us? Do whatever you want.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,065

Low rank chat is miles, miles better than high rank chat when it comes to sportsmanship and general vibes. Many of the players there haven't learned to be dicks yet and they're still actually having fun with this game.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

I guess so im only red rank 4 atm so maybe i dont see it yet

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

Of course, Feng was using Spine Chill and playing more immersed. I would say that it was considerate of you to restore some "hook balance," as I call it to the Trial as The Killer. It isn't your job, but it was a nice gesture. I always go out of my way to get hooked if the match is lopsided. I've seen those hyper-hidden survivors that do everything to avoid The Killer and will sometimes muster some courage to rescue you on the last hook but then immediately vanish into the night after that. They won't take hits or help; they often get downed quickly and even DC or complain about things in chat.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

When killer pays more attention to hook states than survivors who can actually see it...you did nothing wrong, in fact you went way out of your way to distribute hooks equally even tho you didnt needed to unless its for missing BBQ

Moral of the story, ignore game chat and play as you wish

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

That Feng Min was just being selfish... That's all

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

You don't need anyone's validation or permission to play the game the way you want.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410

You shouldn't have to ask yourself if it was "right" to tunnel someone. You paid for the game same as everyone else.

Feng was just butthurt, its pretty common to see people act like this over a game.

• HATCH
    HATCH Member Posts: 61

Tunneling is a play style if someone is getting mad at you Tunneling him/her then that survivors is Just bad Tunneling is the same thing with genrush

• Damarus
    Damarus Member Posts: 600

I would personally enjoy a killer who goes out of his way to not tunnel, as scarce as those kinds of killers are. I mean, after all I am the kind of survivor who has his friends tell him where the random is, to lead the killer to him (when it's only me and the random), if he only hid and did nothing to help, either me or anyone else. I mean, yeah, it was tunneling, as you targeted that Feng directly, but you prolonged the game for two chaps that would have been dead on hook, while Feng would not. When I see those survivors, honestly, I would even consider letting the other guys go, David and Jill in this scenario.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    edited November 2021

I'm all for tunneling anyone at any time and I play 90% survivor. Because why would you take on the role as killer, and then start thinking about how you should not play? A killer should do everything to kill and never take any consideration of survivors "fun" or anything else.

And what is the big deal? I get tunneled now and again it gives me chases, a bit of looping and then I die and go to the next game. I don't understand how people get upset by it especially since it's not against the rules.

But I still want a MMR system that gives points to dead survivors if others escape since it's a team you are a part of. That would make it more worth getting the chases longer and staying on the hook to the very end.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989

Relentless pursuit of a survivor is as valid and as fine a part of the game as any other "tactic". You play how you want, and never be made to feel had for it.

• sniffedpustulas
    sniffedpustulas Member Posts: 11

Thank you! I really try to be fair and I did have a few players saying thanks. But I still try to improve my playstyle towards fairness, where possible.

• sniffedpustulas

I try to get the first kill at 8 hooks because I also play survivor and want them to have a good experience

• sniffedpustulas

I once had a game, where I went afk and two survivors (both death hook) escaped because of it. they still were doughy about that.

• sniffedpustulas

I don't really like tunnelling. I was on the receiving end often enough and I don't want to make others angry.

• VaJaybles
    VaJaybles Member Posts: 658

You can be my killer any time.

• VanitasRyuzaki
    VanitasRyuzaki Member Posts: 110

I agree. I'm a killer who likes to play fair and go after a healthy survivor when the unhook happens. Though I accidentally hit the injured survivor at times, but still go after the saviour. The only times I don't go after the healthy is if all the 3survovors left had abandoned a teammate till 3rd stage then no one is leaving.

Spreading the hooks out gives you a higher chance of securing a kill despite borrowed time, which is another reason to go after the healthy one. Or what I do often, go after the next person I see; if it's the recently nhooked, I down and find someone else.