Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

When are keys getting a buff?

Sluzzy
Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
edited November 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

There is no question this is the worst item in the entire game now.

If anyone on the forum is perfectly honest, they will rightfully answer they have never seen anyone successfully use a key to escape since they were nerfed into uselessness.

When I see them in the bloodweb, they are 100% a wasted purchase. Something that will never help. Something that will never be used. If a killer even knows someone has a key, he will slug the 3rd person to capture the 4th person. This is something killers do anyway and there is absolutely nothing a survivor can do about it. No counterplay. Renders an item completely useless.

At least a mori grants killer a cool animation and ability to completely avoid decisive strike which in itself is a bit of an advantage. With keys? There is no benefit to using them at all.

Either give everyone BP compensation for keys and delete them or buff them so they are useful and a chance of using them. It is ridiculous how useless they are now.

Comments

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

I agree, the hatch should spawn at the start of the match, and the key should also act as lethal pursuer but for the hatch, so you see it and can walk straight to it and escape for an ez 5 points.

Also should upgrade the key so that you can press E to force the key into the Killers eye, giving them a blind which lasts the duration of the match.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

I gotta agree, keys are pretty damn useless now. Extremely situational to the point it'll be rare you can make use of it. Not that I used them or care when others did (before the change) but still, it'll just go underused like Maps.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

For one, they have addons you know, pretty great ones at that.

For second, devs want to make mories and keys seemingly part of baseline gameplay so neither is getting any changes until they figure that one out.

And lastly, good riddance. They were busted and annoying before and deserved everything they got.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

Sluzzy I think you need to realize that keys have been a huge problem in the game for a long time now. Whether you think they were gutted or not, it was a well deserved nerf that should’ve happened a long time ago.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

I wouldn't say that they are useless, but just very situational. Plus you can still use addons for them.

• Sluzzy

Yeah, even the ultra rare key is equivalent to a green map. That's how bad it is.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,209

Never thought I'd see the day I agreed with Sluzzy... but yeah, keys as they are now are utterly useless.

There is allegedly a Key and Mori rework in the pipeline, which is why the hatch was changed the way it was.

• xEmoGirlxAlexisx
    xEmoGirlxAlexisx Member Posts: 598

Keys shouldnt be even a Thing in the First Time im so glad it got destroyed

• pizzaduffyhp90
    pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 901

Keys are kinda useless now I will agree but, do they need a buff? No they're fine now they've had a good 4 years being strong and ruining a lot of great games

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

I agree that they are kinda useless right now, but maybe they should get new abilities, maybe not solely reliant on addons

• thefallenloser
    thefallenloser Member Posts: 1,276

tbh i forgot sluzzy existed, haven't seen ya in a while

• Sluzzy

I think they were only a problem for a killer that thinks they had to 4K every match. It is a game with two sides.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267
    edited November 2021

Keys are pretty much useless now.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

When old moris comes back!

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

SLUZZY :D

how have you been?

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

That’s like saying moris we’re only a problem for survivors that wanted escapes every game.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

Well moris grant you safety from decisive strike and keys grant you safety from getting caught at the exit gate, getting caught at the gate is a losing scenario, as killers can easily add the pressure to prevent the doors from opening.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047
  • Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

I don't disagree that keys got nerfed too hard and that they're the worst survivor item now, but claiming moris are more useful than them is disingenuous. Yeah, moris are a second-hook DS counter, as well as a counter to sabo teams and flashlight saves. That has some use. (Looking cool, while awesome, isn't exactly useful.) Keys can now open the hatch if you're the last survivor and the killer closed it before you. This is pretty damn niche, but like second hook DS, still does have some cases where it'll be useful - though like moris, you won't be able to tell if you'll need it when you bring it into the trial. And keys still have good addons - a free Bond or Blood Pact without the speed boost, and of course wallhacks during a chase. So I'd hardly say keys are less useful than moris.

I'm not saying keys are useful, mind. They both suck. But I do think keys would have been easier to make into something that's not quite as sucky as they are now than moris were. And key addons need a pass, because addons are all the keys have now - and a few of the addons are focused on just preserving the key, which is a little obsolete now.

The main thing that needed to be fixed with keys was the 1 kill 3 escape situation where the killer had a 3-gen and the remaining survivors could elect to nope out of the game. That was stupid. But honestly I'd have been fine with keys just allowing the survivor that carried it to escape, and adding in the opening time so that you can't key out mid-chase. The current hatch situation seems overly useless.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

Broken keys should be removed asap. And purple or skeleton keys are in a good spot atm. Maybe should open the gates quicker or another ability. Hatch is a problem but idk how they could buff keys.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

The nerf to keys and the hatch was excessive. An alternative change would be the hatch and exit gates are powered for the last person, and the EGC begins when the hatch is closed, or a gate is opened. Idk what the solution is but the current experience is bad.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

Keys are still good for their aura reading add ons. But I think they need to give the green key some basekit use.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

You gotta admit, none of us thought keys were gonna be changed to only let 1 person escape. (I didn't at least)

I mean...if they don't go back to how they were...then what else would you do to them?

I honestly have no idea, but im sure someone could come up with a good idea.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

I thought they were gonna change the hatch spawning at 5 gens done. That’s what a lot of people were suggesting.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Keys got rightfully nerfed, I don't see a reason to buff them other than increasing base aura reading so they atleast can do something

• Underdawg
    Underdawg Member Posts: 193

I liked the hatch change, as it made escaping using the hatch more of a luck thing than a strategy for escaping. Overall, it feels like a healthier change for the game.

That being said, I do think Keys need to be reworked. I don't want them anywhere near their old strength, but it would be nice if the aura reading abilities of the green keys lasted longer.

My idea: Keep the iri key the same. Change green keys to an orb item. One of the main reason I don't bring green keys is because some killers are still stuck in the old key mindset and feel like I'm trying to escape early - so they tunnel me out. At least if they saw an orb at loadout they could realize that I'm just using aura reading abilities.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    edited November 2021

If the hatch and keys are going to stay in their current state, then BHVR best be looking at reducing, removing, or lowering the rarity of several items and add-ons. The cheapest key is 5k and does nothing by itself. All of the hatch tracking and key items and add-ons are ridiculously overpriced for a way too situational use now. You are easily spending more on the items and add-ons than a hatch escape grants. Mental.