Pinhead is gone in the wind

I like how Pinhead was extremely popular when he first came to Dead by Daylight but ever since the BHVR higherups and the liscence hodlers pulled that NFT crap, you barely see him anymore. Not to mention the DLC got review bombed, I dont think I've ever seen a game/DLC be rated 'Overwelmingly Negative'

I think I've only seen him once since the NFT's announced.

Comments

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551

Yeah surprised how people just dropped him like that. Was expecting his Horder build would be at least be seen here and there. At this point I probably seen Twins more than pinhead this whole month and I only seen twin once.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735
    edited November 2021

I wanted to play againts him but last recent weeks when I played some XX survivor games I think I didn't saw not even one Pinhead killer.

If I had to quess, it is because of his power is difficult to use well (unless you play that ultra rare addon that injures people), the NFT drama, no hope for voice lines to comeback, hard to win with without crazy strong builds, etc.

Fun fact: I think I saw 2+ Twins and not even one Pinhead. And Twins are very rare since very few people play them regulary.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

He has a few oppressive builds. However, for the rest, his chains is very inconsistent and too dependent on the rng of extra chains spawning and not being instantly broken. His real power is the chain hunt, but I guess running the same build to just force a passive ability gets old kinda fast

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,303

Yea, I don't own him, but playing against him, his power seems to be very unsatisfying, not just for him, but for me. Most of the time he just ends up as an M1 killer. I do enjoy the forced interaction of having to do the box to stop the chain hunt and more killers in the future get similar mechanics, but the devs really need to focus on making the killers M2 power more engaging/interesting for both player roles.

I do miss his voice. It was a nice new quirk to have the killer speaking.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

There are 20+ killers, of course you will see a new killer less after the initial popularity.

• Stryker
    Stryker Member Posts: 220

besides the NFT drama, pinhead is easily forgettable, it's fun? nope, high risk, low reward, you have some kind of nurse-deathslinger mechanic that is quite hard to use, and even if you manage to hit a survivor, the reward is way lower than the risk, you get no benefit from hitting survivors from far away, it still tooks them second to get free, and the passive is just bad, chains spawns are easy to avoid/predict and the fact that it just needs 1 survivor to tap the cube in order to stop the chain hunt for everyone(except the one holding the cube), is just dumb, they don't even need to "solve" the cube to get free..

• JohnWeak
    JohnWeak Member Posts: 854
    edited November 2021

This killer is too weak once you know how to deal with him.

He is relying on the box power, power that can be removed way too easily by the survivors.

Even the Hoarder build is too situational and doesn't assure you to get the box fast enough and enough times to have an impact on the trial.

Pinhead summon of pain should be buffed : do not break with walls, up the time needed to remove the chains.

Box should be kind of reworked : once grabbed, if the survivor holding it doesn't resolve the puzzle during the load time, the chain hunt activate, the box disappears from the holder hands and reappear somewhere else on the map after 30 seconds.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

I like playing as him. He isnt top tier, not even close and his regular chains suck from a distance. I do however love the box and chain hunt mechanic. Im not up to date on the nft stuff but i just havent been playing dbd since the sbmm update. All my friends uninstalled so I've been playing other games.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

I still play against Pinhead often since that whole thing came up.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Personally I think there are few things that go into this. First of all, there hasn't been a major theatrical Hellraiser movie in years. There's been some straight to DVD releases, (some of which have been incredibly bad) but nothing that's caught fire, and because of that Pinhead has fallen off the radar for many people. He hasn't had an opportunity to be exposed to a new audience. Thankfully there is a new reboot coming out that will hopefully live up to the original and please fans both old and new.

Secondly, as people have indicated, playing as Pinhead isn't exactly a walk in the park. Not only are his chains very hard to use, but he's the only killer that can sandbag his own power. Most of the time you have no choice but to walk through your own chains in order to get to a hooked survivor, and when you do that you instantly break your own chain. Chains already break easily against the environment as it is, and having you add to that made it frustrating to play. Personally for me if they were to remove this detriment I could see myself playing him a lot more.

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

I don't like playing him to be honest. He's very high skill/low reward. For the difficulty to use his chains I'd rather play Nurse or Blight.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177

He's got the same issue as many M1 killers; a power that is high risk, low reward. Using his chains during a chase is essentially useless. They're not easy to even hit a survivor with and even when you do manage to hit someone, they can break so easily if the chains spawn in a bad spot that it is almost always more efficient to not use your chains and just chase like normal.

Chain Hunt can at least be more effective but like most mechanics in this game, they can be hell for solos and a slightly mild irritation for swfs.

Like many M1 killers, he's a killer who can curb stomp survivors who are not very good but I could have curb stomped them with any killer if they're not good. He can't compete against competent groups working together. He's a killer you play as because you enjoy the license more than a killer you play as because he's good.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

I wonder how the whole thing will pan out now that the US (and likely canada will follow suit?) is taxing nfts and crapto.

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 774
    edited November 2021

I love Pinhead. He's my main. I play a few matches with him every day. Just got him to P3.

I find him very dynamic, flexible and fun to play as and against.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I finally played Pinhead for the first time yesterday and got a 4k, I like he way he feels MUCH better than Nurse. Puking on my feet every three seconds is easily the most annoying game mechanic in DbD. I couldn’t care less about bothering to get good with her despite her ability being useful, she’s the only killer I actively avoid playing.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

Not entirely, you’re still on the DBD forums. 🤷🏻‍♂️ (Not a criticism, btw)

Regarding Pinhead… you could say the same about other killers like Twins or Trapper. It doesn’t really matter if it’s related to NFTs or not, some killers will just not be played for a plethora of reasons. Pinhead can actually be an annoyingly strong killer if they pressure the box holder. He does require a bit of tactical thinking (box spawn knowledge) and his chase power is pretty boring and underwhelming, so that can turn a lot of people off.

• dugman

I finally got around to playing Pinhead for the first time yesterday, I like him! Got a 4k without too much trouble, even got gg wp from survivors after. It was a fun match. Hitting with the chains was a bit easier than I thought it would be (I’m a terrible shot with Deathslinger, hitting with Pinhead is much easier.) And surprisingly I actually got a couple of downs out of teleporting. I know the common perception is to not teleport to avoid resetting the timer, but my thinking was if they’re about to solve the box anyway and I’m not doing something more pressing then teleporting can get me a relatively quick hit or down and denies the survivor an item for solving the box.

Of course I’m far from top tier here, so I’m in no way making a statement on how powerful or weak he is overall, but just in terms of the feel of how he plays and the teleport actually seeming slightly more effective than I thought it would be he’s a fun killer. 🙂 I’d much rather play him than Nurse, for instance, can’t stand Pukey-Mcfeeterson’s. He’s probably the most fun ranged ability killer for me at the moment.

• nikodemo

@dugman like most generalized advice, it's not helpful when ppl say "never teleport," or "always teleport."

You're spot on. There are times to teleport, to instantly start a new chase, and times to not teleport if you have something better going on.

It's a great ability if used carefully.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Every chapter is like that, Pinhead is no different. Most will go back to their typical mains while a handful stick with the killer.

• dugman

Yeah, my concern with it was mainly that you wouldn’t actually be that close to the person and they presumably would be opening it near a safe loop away from the gens. The second part I’m still assuming is true, but the teleport itself dumps you 10-12 meters from the survivor which is actually surprisingly close. It’s basically the width of the shack. So it really did pay off most of the time with a quick hit or down.

So right, not something you should spam, but I definitely would use it over not using it when I don’t have something more pressing going on.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

Pinheads in the game? I think I remembered something about voice lines then they removed the character.

• Anara
    Anara Member Posts: 1,297

I play against Pinhead often, like every day. Ive seen a lot of Pinhead.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

I had two back to back yesterday. I'm sure his rarity has more to do with the difficulty of playing him, and not some weird boycott due to NFTs. I still see him more than Twins, Hag, Trickster, and even buffed Plague.

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563

Honestly I don't mind not facing him. Not a fan of killers who get bonuses for free.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

I play him and I enjoy him.

Yes maybe his chains are a bit underwhelming but they are fun to use and I like the mechanic (Dead Hard this, casual). His box is also nice to have and lets me add some other perks to his build than gen-regression. His chase music is nice and nic animations are on point. I honestly do not understand how people can think that this chapter was worse then the Twins or Trickster.

Even his perks are interesting and enjoyable. I use Scourge Hooks on Pyramide Head (punishment aspect), I use Plaything on Cenobite himself with Hex: Thrill of the Hunt and Deadlock is a good slowdown perk that prevents me from getting genrushed on some killers. Overall a nice addition to my collection.

However you are right. I think I played against more Trappers than Cenobites during the last few days which is quit sad.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

I don't understand people stopping playing him. I bought the chapter on release was pissed by the NFTs but I've already paid for the character so I'm gonna play that character, he's heavy in my rotation of killers right behind Hag and Doc.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187
  • nikodemo

@Gwinty yeah, his paragraph was great. unfortunately ppl got all up in arms about the voicelines and NFT thing and took their frustration out by review bombing. so sad.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

Same. I play against him pretty often on ps4 with crossplay off.

• nikodemo

the NFT thing is a non-issue that only matters to an extremely tiny minority. it's long since forgotten. the only impact was a bunch of impetuous review bombs on a well made paragraph.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,216

I still face him with relative frequency (usually, it's two in a row, which is weirdly specific, but it's how my experience is). Granted, I'm not a high MMR Survivor (I'm probably somewhere in the mid-high average, I don't take the game seriously enough to be much higher), so that might affect some things, but he's LEAGUES more common than Killers like Demo (who's about to become even rarer), Twins (who are mystical beings at this point), and Plague (who I have yet to face even with her buffs).

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

High skill, low reward killer.

His chain is difficult to land while randomly potentially offering little in return. SWF is a heavy counter to him. Everyone is expecting an unjustified nerf so why bother learning him until they gut him?

• twitch_ravKenclaw
    twitch_ravKenclaw Member Posts: 54

This, exactly this. The Ultra-Rare Lament Configuration paired with the add on to speed up the chain hunt was the only way I could force survivors off gens, and even then, there were a lot of close calls. His other add-ons are just too weak (besides a few), and some are just like ######### is this supposed to do?

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050

The chapter was kind of a let down

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

I don't enjoy facing Pinhead and I am happy that when I do play dbd I never really face him

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

NFT drama didn’t help him and With good reason.

• BabuDweet
    BabuDweet Member Posts: 556

Honestly? The whole chapter of his release was over hyped. I literally didn't care about him, if anything I'm glad I don't see him often cause I hate playing against him.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Normally he should be getting changes upcoming midchapter so maybe he'll raise again.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

I love Hellraiser like top 3 horror franchises and I was gonna buy him 100% and maybe main him when I came back. Then NFTs happened

• nikodemo

you know, they're not connected? no proceeds from sale of the DLC are connected to NFTs. the NFT is different company and separate arrangement with Park Avenue, who also own the models BHVR made.

just, don't buy NFTs.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,142

I barely saw him at all when he was released. After a couple days it dropped from "barely at all" to "practically never." I don't think the average person likes playing a killer with an extremely difficult-to-aim ability that has very little effect and is ridiculously punishing when you miss. It's [BAD WORD]ing awful trying to aim that nonsense on a controller, and with a bad framerate he's best as an M1 killer with a second objective for survivors. There is no point trying to use his chains on Switch, it's more painful than walking on LEGO bricks.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,569

Fun random fact: due to timing, I never faced Pinhead.

Not even once.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047
  • chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

I have been playing lots of Nemesis and Pinhead lately since they are the only 2 killers I have not P3 50 (For now anyway). I have played quite a bit of him and still think the possessed chain is a gimmick. Can only think of a few hits with it that actually helped me. I feel nothing when I win/lose with him which is sad. Nemesis is ######### god-tier though (IMO) really like him.

• BHVR once again drops the ball. Is anyone really surprised.