Remove MMR

It’s bullshit and doesn’t work. You put it in the game once, failed, took it out. And now you repeated it. You’ve certainly did a pretty good job so far, but it’s time to continue the cycle and remove that ######### and go back to the old system.

Revarding camping ######### instead of having the system based around number of hooks/chases you had killed the game.

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,617

Well, they actually tested it four(?) times and the latter two tests went really well, so that's not strictly accurate to say that they tried it and it failed once.

Beyond that: The idea that MMR should be based on hooks is completely laughable, that would never work for exceedingly obvious reasons. Basing the system on whether you win or lose is perfectly reasonable, I just think more nuance should go into it- having your MMR lower by a lesser amount if you got a really good emblem score but still lost, for instance, would probably fix the current edge case problems with the system straight away.

As a final point, I want to mention that this system doesn't reward anything. It's not a progression system- you shouldn't be trying to get "max points" from any given match or whatever. There's no reason to want to get "high MMR" other than to have balanced games, and the only way to achieve balanced games is to just play normally. If you sweat a lot for 4Ks, you'll get survivors who can handle that, and if you play more casually for eight hooks and fun, engaging chases, you'll be paired with survivors who (at least in theory) will be better suited to that.

The system isn't perfect but it's an excellent step in the right direction.

• ChampagnePapi
    ChampagnePapi Member Posts: 29

I haven't seen anything different with this so called MMR they implemented. I still face sweaty survivors who play like its a million dollar tournament vs on survivor I STILL get teamed up with bots who just installed the game, who urban evade all game, hide in a corner and self care, and face a sweaty killer.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

I think the system is fair. Why shouldn't campers face harder opponents? Clearly they aren't being challenged where they are. Same goes for people who bring all the strongest items into every game.

The only real downside is that you get a real mixed bag around middle MMR between the people who escape when they shouldn't (like the Claudette hiding in the bushes) and the gigachad who will pull off an insane play to save a teammate from a face camping bubba at his own peril and succeed.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

You like the MMR system, but want it to work off entirely different criteria? Okay then.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

Do you ever do anything but act apologetic for the devs? It's sad.

• jesterkind

I believe in fair and accurate criticism, and I'm very open about what I think the devs do wrong. I think they work far too slowly on things, I think their priorities can be very out of whack, I think nerfing Wraith was fully unnecessary and I think the Deathslinger changes were pretty badly handled, and so on and so forth.

Like, bud, even in this post I give reasons for thinking that this system is a good start, it's not defending or "acting apologetic" for the devs on principle. This system isn't perfect- it needs fixing and the devs didn't do a great job of switching to it, but saying it needs to go because it'll never work is something I fully disagree with.

• fargrim7
    fargrim7 Member Posts: 1

I believe I have thought of a valid way to fix MMR instead of just deleting it. Why doesn't BHVR take people who seem to get stuck on one/two ranks and pair them with similar people? We can have it so the killer isn't a red rank against silver ranks like what it is now. And have it so the killer that is stuck at gold rank is paired with other people who should be at gold rank.

• Jplanas98
    Jplanas98 Member Posts: 532

"and the gigachad who will pull off an insane play to save a teammate from a face camping bubba at his own peril and succeed."

That's part of the main problem. When a survivor dies, their MMR lowers causing them to verse lower skilled killers. So while it punishes face campers at high ranks by facing them against high skilled survivors, it also punishes low skilled killers just for playing. Also, SWF messes with the MMR. It doesn't base off of the highest MMR player in the team, but tries to balance it out, meaning the high skilled player will be going against a lower skilled killer.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I've noticed at best, zero difference before and after MMR.

At worst, my experience has become much more unfun.

• jesterkind

I've noticed a little difference. My games on Wraith are consistently a little harder, since he was my main during the collection period, and my games on new Killers are a little easier. I don't think it's working as well as it could, but I do think it's working somewhat.

I think the major issue now is survivors falling too far if they're cocky, if playing aggressively/well in general softened your MMR loss I think it'd be a lot more consistent.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Here's my experience on Killer:

Play one game versus the same 4-man squad (who hate playing against me, for the record) then play a game against 4 random people who shouldn't have been matched with me.