Realized why Hex: Thrill of the Hunt had to be nerfed

It's cause of the newest bird lady still in PTB correct me if I'm wrong I've only seen the 2 vids Otz posted of her so I know very little of her. Her dire bird power has a global range that ignores walls and can possibly injure the target. So image Hex: (old) Thrill of the Hunt, Undying and 2 other Hex perks... totems would never be cleansed. Moment she gets that notice she'll just fire 2 dire birdes right at you to interrupt or even down you if you even touch it. With the only chance of cleansing it would be if it's on a different elevation from the ground she's using her power from.

Also her animations are weird as hell.

Comments

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

i guess that could've happened, but i honestly don't think that was the specific reason. she could do that now since thrill gives increased cleanse time, just throw the birds every now and then and boom, defended.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,109

If they did nerf it for that reason, I wouldn't be surprised. They nerfed Deathslinger's TR because when combined with M&A, he was "OP". Can't have killers finding new tactics using underutilized perks, can we? It's honestly sad.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

I'd be absolutely enraged if that was the reason. The change completely killed Thrill and them ruining it because they decided to add a killer that could interrupt from anywhere on the map - it's possible that maybe having a killer that could interrupt from anywhere on the map was the poorly thought out idea? Not the only hex protecting perk in the game?

Ugh.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195
    edited November 2021

I like this theory of yours, it's very plausible.

I personally think BHVR gutted it for Boons and to stick it to Pinhead. I dont think they ever considered his potential to be an annoying mosquito. I think they were terrified of Devour Hope Pinhead

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,476

New killers limiting design space, darn

Maybe in the future this could change so that new killers can't limit design space by setting exceptions to some perks like this killer not receiving thrill of the hunt notifications

• str4wberryp
    str4wberryp Member Posts: 86

A killer that can injure from anywhere on the map is definitely a terrible idea, but nerfing Thrill of the Hunt was even worse. It straight up killed my totem builds. I used to run Ruin/Undying/Devour/Thrill on Pig and it was really strong, nowadays I don't play her anymore.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

My guess was that they nerfed it so that if a survivor wants to bless a hex totem the killer doesn't immediately know where to go to put it out. Although you can do that anyway by memorizing where your hexes are. Then they just buffed the slowdown to compensate.

But yeah, this could be why too.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

To be fair the perk increase the cleanse time up to 21sec. Thats enough for Artist to use power, having cool down then use on survivor who doing Hex.

Thrill of Hunt should have cleansing speed increase applied on Dull, but still give noti on Hex (protect Dull, info Hex). As the opposite to Undying (protect Hex, info Dull)

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

Cleansing a Hex with 5 tokens of TOTH still takes 28 seconds. An Artist player can just keep sending a crow every 20 seconds to their totem anyway, guess the nerf didn't really help.

• dallasmedicbag
    dallasmedicbag Member Posts: 571

i feel like having bird lady and pre-nerf thrill of the hunt would be the total opposite of 'variety' my dude, legit every bird lady mains will run that, me included ;p

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620
    edited November 2021

You missed the point…

Now Artist will run the same boring gen regression perks every game: Ruin, Undying, Corrupt, Deadlock, maybe Tinkerer.

• dallasmedicbag
    dallasmedicbag Member Posts: 571
  • Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

Thrill is a variety perk because hardly anyone runs it. Perks synergizing with killer powers is good for the game.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

That's not the reason, from what I saw there's a delay between when someone is hit by a swarm and when they can be damaged by another swarm, so if you stack two birds near each other on the same path and they hit at long range 1-2 it doesn't injure or down a survivor. But that means if someone is working a totem, for example, and they get swarmed they can just run off the totem and it will be difficult to hit them with a follow up long range shot.

Moreover, Undying gives constant aura information on survivors as well, but they didn't change that. And similarly there's plenty of perks that give generator aura information when they're being worked on, and she could likewise fire long range crows at those. If this was actually a big concern Behavior would have presumably tweaked those too.

So no, the Artist being able to swarm survivors at long range isn't why Thrill was changed.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Every time we get some kind of new innovative way to use a new perk with an old killer or old perk with a new killer it gets gutted. Hence why throughout the years we still end up using all the same perks on nearly every killer.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Why is it that perks are nerfed "due to killer's power"

Why not see how it all works before nerfing perks... just my thought

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

Agreed. The worst part is that The Artist doesn't even need old Thrill to be able to interrupt survivors potentially on her Hexes. The infinite range on Crows of Torment is actually so nutty she is going to be a Hex defending queen and I'm ready to main her.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

Didn't need to be nerfed at all.