Dead By Daylight Doxxing Issue

Comments

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Yeah, if I knew how to set-up a VPN for my Xbox I would.

Unfortunately, it's only going to be a deterrent. People can still get through, it just makes it less worth their time.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

Thanks Karu, that's good to know.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047
    edited November 2021

Thanks for the info Karu :)

• Pulsar

Most of them own specialized services designed to hit through VPN's, I'm not familiar with how.

I do have a friend who was in that scene for a long time, so I could ask him if you're really curious.

• Pulsar

Yeah, all of it is also super illegal as well. The issue is it's hard to prove and expensive to pursue a case.

I know the people who hit me, sent zip-bombs and fried my router tried to hit someone else offline, but they were on a military base's network, iirc. All of this is through the virtual grapevine, so take it with a grain of salt, but, they are currently being prosecuted because the military has both the money and the resources to prove and pursue a case.

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508

I know nothing about how console networks do things. However, consoles are effectively PCs themselves, and you're still using your modem, so no. Presumably, console is in as much danger as PC.

• dallasmedicbag
    dallasmedicbag Member Posts: 571

ah crap, looks like i'll have to stop playing until the fix comes by, pretty sure there'll be random killer/survivors who gets pissed at me for maining blight and flashbang/headon/blastmine build. urgh.

• dallasmedicbag

but just to clarify, this doxxing issue can only be caused by players currently in your match, right?

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638

Why do I even play this game bruh..

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    edited November 2021

That's explains everything. Yesterday I played as killer and one survivor in post game chat said Hello to my home town. I was shocked a little.

I can't use vpn because I live far away from servers and I have to fight for every point of my ping to make game comfortable for me and my opponents.

Vpn will make my ping worse and switching steam settings probably make connection slower.

I wish BHVR or Amazon open servers somewhere in East Europe.

• gaming_boss
    gaming_boss Member Posts: 10

to avoid the whole hacker issue with dbd ive taken mathieus old advice about playing something else. I haven’t touched dbd in two days and I plan on not playing until all of this is addressed and fixed by the devs. This game is not worth all of the stress it used to put me through, now more than ever

• SloppyVoldemort
    SloppyVoldemort Member Posts: 452

Are just hollow words imo. Because they needed to say at least something for that article.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,446

+1 for including a source. Multiple +1s (which unfortunately are not possible) for the rest of the post.

One thing that should be added though:

So, on a PC there's one main thing you can do.

You can install a VPN on your router. That should protect you if you are playing on console as well. Not every router supports this. If you are using the router that was sent to you your ISP then there is a high chance it won't let you install a VPN. - often the routers that the ISPs provide are crap. You need to check the manual of your router or the router's menu to see if it's possible.

If your router does not support this you can buy one that does and replace the one your ISP sent you. Some ISPs in some countries require you to use their router, in that case you can activate Bridge Mode on your ISP router and connect your new router to your old router and install your VPN on the new router.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,767

I didn't wanna title the thread PSA but I'm hoping this can serve as an ample warning to at least all forums members

• dallasmedicbag

Seems like out of all the forums for DBD, only this forum has let me know about this security breach. Even the subreddit barely has any talk on this topic. It's as if majority of people just don't care about potentially having their router fried or worse, their information geting leaked and used against them.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,446

You shouldn't have to pay money to play a game securely you were able to a few weeks ago.

Absolutely this. Quick note: Some ISPs do provide good routers that support VPN. I don't know how many free VPNs support routers though, so that could be an issue.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Could someone please provide viable free options? I tried one called Proton VPN, it ends up breaking my Internet connection (like a Twitch stream stops, can't load web pages either, etc.) when I'm about to join a lobby in DbD. Saying something about no P2P traffic is permitted on this server.

• GoodBoyKaru

Oh definitely; I didn't know the article existed until I saw it on another thread. So I'm hoping this thread will at least be enough to warn the forums, and I know Twitter has many different threads on the matter too.

However, an in-game announcement telling people to be careful and if anything happens to save evidence about it? Would've been so much better. It's a lot harder to say you didn't know if it was in the in-game news and on official socials.

• GoodBoyKaru

ExpressVPN, Surfshark, and NordVPN are three different free trials you could try, and Surfshark (at least for me) works for DBD. This covers you for about 30 days, which should be long enough for BHVR to have fixed the issue. CyberGhost is also quite good with a 45 day trial, but the only one I can really comment on in Surfshark because it's the one I use.

TunnelBear and Hotspot Shield are two free ones asides from Proton with pretty good ratings, but again I can't comment on usefulness.

I'm sorry for not being much help; I hope someone else can point you in the direction of one that works.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,017

Windscribe has a free plan for 10gb per month, but that probably wouldn't be enough. However, you can buy unlimited data for one country of your choice for 2 dollars a month minimum, which is not bad. It's what I'm currently using, and it does the job well and is pretty good in general.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

I think I cant be doxxed neither swatted.

Doxxing - I have no personal information in the PC.

Swatting - I'm in Europe.

• GoodBoyKaru

Doxxing- they can trace your address and other information from your IP address alone. It doesn't hack into your computer, but your router.

Swatting- you can still have police called who will arrive potentially with weapons. Definitely the case here in the UK, anyway.

• dallasmedicbag

i guess the reason why this thread isn't pinned is because they don't want to lose players even for a short while. "players are our utmost importance" LUL

• JohnWeak
    JohnWeak Member Posts: 854

yes, they should clearly shut down the servers till the issue is fixed.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Did I just have this happen to me? Loaded a The Last Mask offering, my entire game crashes. The offering is gone but no DC penalty. ?

• GoodBoyKaru

No, that seems like a regular crash. A DDOS will cause your entire router to slow down drastically and possibly force a restart, preventing every device from connecting to it.

It's very unlike that was a DDOS, if your Internet remains functional.

• Tr1nity
    edited November 2021

Im pretty sure in the US they can't get any more specific than your city unless your in law enforcement, Idrk tho, it can give info on the service provider, but only a rough estimate.

• GoodBoyKaru

Are we talking about legally or illegally because illegally they can get a lot of information on you from IP address alone

• Tr1nity

I mean if they are in law enforcement than yea. Because the your ISP provider does have your exact adress, and if the police come with a warrant, asking for the location, it can be given with a warrant.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Really bad for us console players. Probably not worth playing this game anymore this is just too scary.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311

An IP address alone is not inherently going to identify you as a person, it's gonna tell whoever's tracing it where your local ISP datacenter is located. Depending on the details this can get as detailed as what city you live in, or more vague like general area. Certainly your country though, which might be uncomfortable but doesn't really narrow it down that bad.

Most (vast majority, I'd argue) doxing happens because of traversable information trails from anonymous aliases to IRL identities. Re-used usernames or other details (publically visible emails and other contact details can be particularly nasty) that let people go on a Google Detective journey from a gamertag to a forgotten forum post in 2008 where you shared your facebook, to use an example that might be a near-"best case scenario" from a doxer's perspective.

Of course I'm by no means saying it's okay to willy-nilly give away the IP addresses of players, both because it can be a piece of the doxing info-gathering puzzle and because you don't need to actually know who someone is to attempt DDoS. There's a lot of reasons why that kinda info should be obfuscated whenever possible.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,152

Gonna stop playing until this is over too.

• hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188
    edited November 2021

do we still have doubths about BHVR not giiving a ######### about us?- this is just way too much. BHVR is the most disastrous and pathetic company ive ever seen.

• RYANGUNSLINGER
    RYANGUNSLINGER Member Posts: 53

Damm guess I'm gonna go play f13 instead

• beldr
    beldr Member Posts: 14

I did not expect anything else from the DBD community.

• themoobs1984
    themoobs1984 Member Posts: 619

If you feel that way then perhaps it's best to understand that putting yourself out there for potentially millions of people to see is dangerous. Especially, if you are including your political beliefs in your streaming or you are transgender/gay or whatnot. There are some people out there that will hate you for what you are or what you believe and will do whatever they can to make you pay. If you're going to put yourself out there for everyone to see then I would be prepared for something like swatting to possibly happen.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

Same thoughts bro right now is possible thst between hackers to start DDOSing people just for fun.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

Even when they say they fixed it Im gonna wait a month to actually be sure.We know they said we fixed this bug and keep hapoening and im not gonna bet my security on them.