How to play Bloodhound Legion

Options
Dehitay
Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

By this point, I thought the constant accusations of Legion being a horrible killer would have died down by now, but I still hear on a daily basis how he's one of the worst killers in the game. And every time I ask why, it's always because he takes multiple hits to down a survivor. Which means a huge number of people still don't know how to play Legion at high efficiency even though they're claiming enough expertise to render a final judgement on him.

So I made a guide explaining how I play Legion which seems to be the most efficient way out of what I've seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nz7ftP2rHk

For those who don't want to watch the video, here's a basic synopsis:
-Get that first frenzy hit to start deep wounds and get the 2nd if you can to lower the timer
-After you run out of frenzy, move away from the survivor while keeping track of them to break the chase proximity requirement and immediately end the chase
-Once chase is broken, go after the survivor if you can still see them or go to the last place they were and use the Bloodhound perk to follow them with ease
-If they keep their distance, they'll either go down or have to stop to mend and you can hit them. If they try to loop you, just keep track of them without looking at them and wait for deep wounds to get low enough to where another fenzy hit can finish them.

For those of you wondering about the actual times for deep wounds, I'll list them here:
Base Deep Wounds time: 30 seconds
Deep Wounds time with Stab Wounds Study: 25 seconds
Time removed from a basic feral frenzy strike: 10 seconds
Time removed from a Frank's Mix Tape frenzy strike: 15 seconds

Comments

• RetroBadGamer
    RetroBadGamer Member Posts: 16
    Options

I played Legion that way and it was "fun" on the killing side for a moment, but It didn't feel right. Playing that way is not fair and you need no skills to do that. There is no mind game possibility for the survivor.
    I also had to play against Legion doing that and it sucked so bad. That guy doing everything not to look at me so chase won't run, it was boring as hell.
    This exact strategy is why I think Legion has a bad design compared to the rest of the killers and how they work with the rest of the game. Not OP, but bad design.

• Dehitay
    Options

@Rebel_Raven said:
    Legion is horrible. You should not need to bandaid the flaws with perks from other killers, nor rely heavily on addons as much as Legion does.

Is there a single killer who has so little synergy with their perks? A base kit so screwed up, they really are terrible naked?

Theoretically, you can do the same thing without Bloodhound. Bloodhound just makes it 100 times easier. Like how Monitor & Abuse makes it significantly more easy to use jumpscare tactics with Myers, and Iron Maiden makes spray and pray tactics easier for Huntress. Most people actually use the moonwalking strategy more than this which is just a weaker version of Bloodhound Legion.

You can easily play Legion effectively without addons. You just need to get closer to the survivors before starting frenzy if you're not using frenzy duration or speed boosts. Actually, most of his addons would require the same gameplay as base, but offer more chances instead.

While Legion does have poor personal perk synergy, that's not new to Legion. Even with the last chapter, they didn't make perks specific to the new character. They've just started adding general use perks with new content instead of character specific ones.

However, I can understand complaints that Legion can make gameplay unfair. But the same can be said of a lot of standard survivor gameplay. Pallet looping was never intended but is used in pretty much every game nowadays. Vault loops are also the same. The irony is that Legion completely counters these things because of this unintended playstyle. Chases actually weren't intended to go on for the duration of a match when the game was designed. This playstyle wouldn't really be advantageous if chases lasted only as long as intended on game release.

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options
    Dehitay said:

@Rebel_Raven said:
    Legion is horrible. You should not need to bandaid the flaws with perks from other killers, nor rely heavily on addons as much as Legion does.

Is there a single killer who has so little synergy with their perks? A base kit so screwed up, they really are terrible naked?

Theoretically, you can do the same thing without Bloodhound. Bloodhound just makes it 100 times easier. Like how Monitor & Abuse makes it significantly more easy to use jumpscare tactics with Myers, and Iron Maiden makes spray and pray tactics easier for Huntress. Most people actually use the moonwalking strategy more than this which is just a weaker version of Bloodhound Legion.

You can easily play Legion effectively without addons. You just need to get closer to the survivors before starting frenzy if you're not using frenzy duration or speed boosts. Actually, most of his addons would require the same gameplay as base, but offer more chances instead.

While Legion does have poor personal perk synergy, that's not new to Legion. Even with the last chapter, they didn't make perks specific to the new character. They've just started adding general use perks with new content instead of character specific ones.

However, I can understand complaints that Legion can make gameplay unfair. But the same can be said of a lot of standard survivor gameplay. Pallet looping was never intended but is used in pretty much every game nowadays. Vault loops are also the same. The irony is that Legion completely counters these things because of this unintended playstyle. Chases actually weren't intended to go on for the duration of a match when the game was designed. This playstyle wouldn't really be advantageous if chases lasted only as long as intended on game release.

The Spirit has excellent synergy with her perks. 

Her spirit walk lets her slip up onto an obsession and mori them with Rancor.

Haunted Grounds lays a solid trap for a fast moving slasher to use.

Spirit Fury makes chases easier for her since she can't warp through pallets.

Now lets talk legion.

Mad Grit is pretty general. Does help.

Discordance is in huge need of a rework since the aura offers no information beyond what's on the tin. Problem is that info isn't enough and the aura lingers well after every survivor ran the heck away.
    It's helpful if you really want to use it.

Iron Maiden is the biggest problem. Exposed does nothing to help Legion in frenzy. The large bonus of this perk is basically wasted because deep wounds and exposed have zero synergies. No downing, no extra damage, nothing.

Legion is too addon dependent to play naked effectively unless the survivors are dumb as hell. 
  • KingSavageGaming
    KingSavageGaming Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Dehitay said:

By this point, I thought the constant accusations of Legion being a horrible killer would have died down by now, but I still hear on a daily basis how he's one of the worst killers in the game. And every time I ask why, it's always because he takes multiple hits to down a survivor. Which means a huge number of people still don't know how to play Legion at high efficiency even though they're claiming enough expertise to render a final judgement on him.

So I made a guide explaining how I play Legion which seems to be the most efficient way out of what I've seen so far.

-Get that first frenzy hit to start deep wounds and get the 2nd if you can to lower the timer
    -After you run out of frenzy, move away from the survivor while keeping track of them to break the chase proximity requirement and immediately end the chase
    -Once chase is broken, go after the survivor if you can still see them or go to the last place they were and use the Bloodhound perk to follow them with ease
    -If they keep their distance, they'll either go down or have to stop to mend and you can hit them. If they try to loop you, just keep track of them without looking at them and wait for deep wounds to get low enough to where another fenzy hit can finish them.

For those of you wondering about the actual times for deep wounds, I'll list them here:

This was a good effort but this doesn't make legion efficient whatsoever you're literally just exploiting the fact that you can break chase and follow that doesn't make him good the devs even talked about this strategy on a stream which is why they're changing him 4 hits is ######### to begin glad it's being lowered you're better off using franks mixtape and stab wounds study and cold dirt as of right now. 
  • ForeheadSurviors
    ForeheadSurviors Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This killer is beyond trash and devs actually thought to put this out i actually regret buying this killer , all survivors have to do is separate and his ability is complete garbage.
  • Dehitay
    Options

@KingSavageGaming said:

This was a good effort but this doesn't make legion efficient whatsoever you're literally just exploiting the fact that you can break chase and follow that doesn't make him good the devs even talked about this strategy on a stream which is why they're changing him 4 hits is ######### to begin glad it's being lowered you're better off using franks mixtape and stab wounds study and cold dirt as of right now. 

@ForeheadSurviors said:
    This killer is beyond trash and devs actually thought to put this out i actually regret buying this killer , all survivors have to do is separate and his ability is complete garbage.

How is a killer that downs survivors faster than the vast majority of killers beyond trash? And if the fast downs aren't enough, he can do it through standard survivor pallets and vault techniques. How much more do you need to demand from a killer?

• ForeheadSurviors
    Options
    Dehitay said:

@KingSavageGaming said:

@ForeheadSurviors said:

How is a killer that downs survivors faster than the vast majority of killers beyond trash? And if the fast downs aren't enough, he can do it through standard survivor pallets and vault techniques. How much more do you need to demand from a killer?

Fast down? you mean tunnel 1 person by breaking the chase temporarily and looking down until they bleed out oh yea that proves how good the killer is right??? you shouldn’t have to maneuver around your power for it to be effective , against optimal swf you’re gonna get destroyed regardless how good you’re as killer the power gauge recovery takes wayyyy too long to recover and when you hit a survivor in normal state your power bar resets how delusional are you to convince yourself this killer can challenge swf at rank 1 just another noob stomper with terrible add ons . 
  • DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options
    Been playing legion without addons until the Dev's make some tweaks and it is rough. Past rank 12 you are hard pressed to find dumb survivors that play into legions strengths. Deep wounds almost never comes into play unless you refuse to switch targets. Mending is unnoticeable with current audio and survivors refusing to stop even when infront of them looks & feels ridiculous. Without addons chases are prone to become extended tunnel sessions rewarded with heavy salt. Since I've been relying on perks, the lack of versatility really shows itself. While I wouldn't say legion is horrible to play, they suffer far more than other killers against competent survivors.
  • KingSavageGaming
    Options
    Dehitay said:

@KingSavageGaming said:

@ForeheadSurviors said:

Downs survivors faster than the vast majority of killers what? We're talking about a killer that has to hit survivors 4 times to down them what the hell are you talking about?
  • HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    Options
    I think NC would also work really well with legion. I wouldn’t run bloodhound with NC but definitely one of the two. 
  • MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

Interesting to get the stats on the Deep Wound time.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,426
    edited January 2019
    Options

@KingSavageGaming said:
    Downs survivors faster than the vast majority of killers what? We're talking about a killer that has to hit survivors 4 times to down them what the hell are you talking about?

Two of those four hits are free, the first and the second. Additionally you get a small body and low terror radius. And you can deal with vaults and pallets. And you can pressure multiple survivors very easily.

• Gardenia
    Gardenia Member Posts: 1,143
    Options

I think the core issue lie in changing the chase mechanics and what registers as a chase. Currently when you see a survivor in motion within your field of view it begins chase. I think the deeper issue is in revising the current chase mechanics and how they work. Especially when you have a killer such as legion, where chase can play a major factor in his power.

• LegitAdventurer
    LegitAdventurer Member Posts: 505
    Options
    LOL so many tryhards "legion is horrible because he doesn't work with just his base perks" 

Please, name one killer where you only use their base perks, I'll wait. Considering every single killer runs Hex Ruin, NONE OF THEM. Lolol. People are so silly. Legion is a great killer, people just want something to ######### and moan about lol. 

Teachable perks are teachable perks for a reason, to teach them to other characters and use these perks in proper builds. I play Nea and don't use a single one of her perks, does that make her #########? Lol i run all hag perks on my Spirit, does that make her #########? Lol no. Get a grip.
  • KingSavageGaming
    Options
    Madjura said:

@KingSavageGaming said:

Two of those four hits are free, the first and the second. Additionally you get a small body and low terror radius. And you can deal with vaults and pallets. And you can pressure multiple survivors very easily.

4 hits though like ######### should be 3 at least to  save time remember the killer is on a clock
  • ForeheadSurviors
    edited January 2019
    Options
    LOL so many tryhards "legion is horrible because he doesn't work with just his base perks" 

Please, name one killer where you only use their base perks, I'll wait. Considering every single killer runs Hex Ruin, NONE OF THEM. Lolol. People are so silly. Legion is a great killer, people just want something to ######### and moan about lol. 

Teachable perks are teachable perks for a reason, to teach them to other characters and use these perks in proper builds. I play Nea and don't use a single one of her perks, does that make her #########? Lol i run all hag perks on my Spirit, does that make her #########? Lol no. Get a grip.
    I couldn’t take you serious once you said “ Legion is a good killer” and “ I play Nea” First survivors are skins they don’t have unique abilities or roles towards anything besides sitting on gens, second you probably played against a legion that 4k you and then your boosted instincts assumed the killer was decent based on how much a forehead you’re. Clustering up against legion is playing into his power and giving him an advantage smart survivors once you realise its legion we all seperate and he can be gen rushed easily, And his iridescent add on that allows you to see a survivor all the way across the map while in frenzy is beyond inept the fact that it tricks you thinking they’re close and wastes your time to go in that direction just shows how stupid and not planned out this killer was he was obviously rushed.
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options

The point is how well a killer can run with just their base perks, and base kit. 
    Some obviously do it better than others. Legion is pretty low on that list.

Because, believe it or not, people don't start a new killer with all lvl 3 perks.

With that in mind, you beyter hope RNGeesus is kind to you early on.
  • GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    Options

This is bad design.

Is Legion a "bad" killer? I would say yes. Because they have to use gimmicks to be played well and they are unfun to play as and against.

• Dehitay
    Options

@KingSavageGaming said:

I expected people to say that bloodhound Legion doesn't kill fast enough since there are killers who kill faster than him, and most killer mains play those mostly.

I expected people to say that this method is bad because it means you have to use Legion as he wasn't intended even though players widely use Billy chainsaw, pallet loops, and vault loops as unintended.

I expected people to say that playing against this type of Legion is unfair or not fun because it honestly isn't as fun playing against a killer who's pretty much garunteed to down you with almost no counterplay. A lot like how it's incredibly unfun to play against chain pallet/vault loops, instaheal squads, flashlight squads, or full toolbox genrush squads.

But one thing I wasn't expecting was somebody to say Legion is a bad killer because you have to hit people 4 times to down them if they read this thread. Literally, the entire original post addresses that exact issue and goes into detail with a video of 8 minutes of explanation and 12 minutes of gameplay proving that you can play Legion in a highly efficient way by breaking chase instead of constantly frenzy hitting for the down. There are only 2 reasons I can think why you made that post. Either you're intentionally trolling, but didn't add any twist to make it humorous. Or you somehow managed to completely skip the original post yet catch onto the theme and then make a point that I have concisely proven wrong. If it's the latter, go back and actually read the beginning, and better yet, watch the video.

• KingSavageGaming
    Options
    Dehitay said:

@KingSavageGaming said:

I expected people to say that bloodhound Legion doesn't kill fast enough since there are killers who kill faster than him, and most killer mains play those mostly.

I expected people to say that this method is bad because it means you have to use Legion as he wasn't intended even though players widely use Billy chainsaw, pallet loops, and vault loops as unintended.

I expected people to say that playing against this type of Legion is unfair or not fun because it honestly isn't as fun playing against a killer who's pretty much garunteed to down you with almost no counterplay. A lot like how it's incredibly unfun to play against chain pallet/vault loops, instaheal squads, flashlight squads, or full toolbox genrush squads.

But one thing I wasn't expecting was somebody to say Legion is a bad killer because you have to hit people 4 times to down them if they read this thread. Literally, the entire original post addresses that exact issue and goes into detail with a video of 8 minutes of explanation and 12 minutes of gameplay proving that you can play Legion in a highly efficient way by breaking chase instead of constantly frenzy hitting for the down. There are only 2 reasons I can think why you made that post. Either you're intentionally trolling, but didn't add any twist to make it humorous. Or you somehow managed to completely skip the original post yet catch onto the theme and then make a point that I have concisely proven wrong. If it's the latter, go back and actually read the beginning, and better yet, watch the video.

I can't believe you're serious right now you're basically saying apply deep wound break chase follow them THAT'S NOT LEGION BEING GOOD that's just you exploiting the chase mechanic if someone was to get saved by the new BT i could do the exact same shxt that's not the killer being good that's just me exploiting the chase mechanic. And by the way how hell is that playing legion efficiently. 
  • Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946
    Options
    Wow! You are saying the "right" way of playing Legion is using an exploit and tunnle down the survivors one by one. What will you do, when the devs "fix" the exploit?

• LegitAdventurer
    LegitAdventurer Member Posts: 505
    Options
    Also completely disregarding what you guys see as an exploit this is still a pretty decent tactic, regardless of downing them outside of a chase. Do you know how many survivors ive downed by, hitting them with my feral and faking rubber banding off them, acting like I'm going to another survivor and getting back on them catching them mending. This tactic works with or without bloodhound. This tactic works with our without "an exploit"

And saying "he doesnt work with his perks" just really is not a response for why he is "a bad killer" humans are ridiculous lol they just cant grasp onto anything new. Its really silly. 

I use spirit without any of her perks. Still good. I use hag without any of her perks. Still a good killer. I use trapper without his perks. I don't see why yall are so fixcated on that lol.
  • TheDarkWall
    TheDarkWall Member Posts: 129
    Options

@Dehitay said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nz7ftP2rHk

This tactic is more valid on franks tape and stab wound study than without. Otherwise it does still take quite a while to down people. It also can be counter played fairly easily by survivors purposefully staying closer to you or coming back at you partially mended to re-initiate the chase at which point it takes longer. I've used these same tactics as well as some you don't mention here, and I can't say that this gives the efficiency to the killer to make them anything better than maybe 3rd from the bottom, somewhere in that area.

So far the valid builds I've seen on this killer are

Whispers, bloodhound, sloppy and enduring or whatever else you want with franks and stab study using this strategy.

Similar build, could mix in some spirit fury in place of bloodhound while using cold dirst and joey's mix tape. Basically this is the tag once, run up, cancel and m1 to down. Seems about as effective.

mix in bbq and use iridescent pin and suzies mix tape to basically go for the more intended version of spreading as much deep wounds as possible while maintaining strong map control, This is probably the least viable of the descent builds I've found but it can work out fairly well still.

The problem is this killer has to rely heavily on purple add ons to be good at anything other than lower ranks. Otherwise the job just takes too long per down and results in the gens being done before you get much in the way of kills. Also, unlike the other 110 killers, he lacks tools to get close to the injured survivor efficiently while maintaining his 1 hit down capability. This means that the time to down, even if the chase goes as efficiently and perfectly as you're laying out, is the same for every down, injured or uninjured.

Against decent survivors, they'll rescue their fellow players every stage. So it's reasonable to assume without camping you'll need 12 downs to win the game. So lets say from start to finish it takes about 45 seconds or so per down, then maybe another 15 to get to the hook. So roughly 12 minutes total to win. This says nothing of the time it takes to find the survivor but we'll write that off since the survivor takes some time to find their gens. It still leaves a very lenient situation for the survivors to get the work they need to get done taken care of. The only way to lower that time is with the purple add ons and employing the strategies I've laid out.

Of course you can slow the game while doing this, but I don't believe it is often to the extent that will allow you to get your 4k's in reliably or be as good as many of the other killers.

While this strategy is fairly standard that you're showing, it does a good job of putting up a formal video showing new players one of the core legion strategies that they can employ among the other options. I do believe the key to doing well with this character (even though I do find him underpowered) is to learn the timing to employ the several different styles of chase the character has to offer. I'm actually planning on making a video on him myself, but I want to get a chance to see how the changes play into his game first.

• wladimiiir
    wladimiiir Member Posts: 142
    Options
    That's exactly the play for which the Legion is hated :(
    I play Legion for the fun of the chases not because I can down someone efficiently. I had many survivors said in the chat that I was the first Legion they really enjoyed because playing fair, not tunneling and not caring about 4k, but mostly having fun.
    I hope there are more fair and non-ape Legions out there so Legion's reputation can be increased :)