Why Don't People Play Plague Or Hag Much?

Options
StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

If I recall, these were the two least played killers by a fair margin, and from what I've seen over the past while, people still aren't playing them much.

Hag...I somewhat understand, as CoH booners give her a rough time and her tactical style certainly isn't for everyone, but Plague?

Plague is a monster now. Great addons that actually give her entirely new playstyles, very smooth gameplay, incredibly adaptable powerset. Massive snowball/comeback potential. She even works well against CoH teams.

The only thing I don't enjoy on her is the SFX which can make me a bit queasy.

So...I'm quite curious. What is it that puts people off these two killers in particular?

Comments

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294
    Options

Hag is not really an easy killer and can get boring for most.

IDK about Plague, she is really good now. Maybe don't like vomiting?

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

Hag is ugly and gross

• StarLost
    edited November 2021
    Options

I'd love to know.

I know that the 'vomit' sound effect can make me feel like honking; I've got a propensity for migraines and nausea. But wow, is the vomit comet powerful.

I actually dig her aesthetic. Very 'Blair Witch'. She is decently camouflaged, small, has fun skins and my favorite 'blighted' skin of any killer (Ghostface and Wraith are close seconds).

I like my killers to look frightening.

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294
    Options
  • WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

Hag is too unique for most. Never understood Plague though

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

Plague is a beast right now because she is a good counter to CoH. Her sickness she gives also help slow down gens because people dont want to be fully sick and in a instant down state.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

I’ll never understand why some people don’t. My friends told me not to once and I was like okay but this is gonna make the match easier for the killer.

• StarLost
    Options

I wonder if this is a high MMR thing?

Against me, they cleanse constantly. I'm running around will my red vommy for half the game, and never run out of fountains to drink.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923
    Options

Plague is just really slow to play. Like everything about her feels slow. Its just my issue with her but there is so many waiting for things to happen, or animations or her projectiles moving about as fast as a turtle with 3 broken legs.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,691
    Options

I'm a massive emetophobe and for some reason Plague's sounds or visuals don't bother me. It's too cartoonish. That's just a personal judgement, but all the same.

I've been running into a lot of Plagues lately thanks to CoH, but Hag is as rare as ever. It's probably because her playstyle is very unique, and it's not a kind of unique where pouring tons of time into her will always net amazing results. Big outdoor maps can really wreck her and her main weakness is comms. Though one guy with a kitted out flashlight can screw her over even in solo queue. But she is very strong, especially once some of her addons come into play. I think she's one of the few killers that actually has a chance to work Pentimento.

• StarLost
    Options

Penti feels like it's going to have to be combo'd at least with Plaything to work well, probably also Retribution.

I'm not sure if I'd want to do it on Hag unless I'm running Mint Rag or something and can warp around the map.

I'm definitely going to try to make it work on Demo though.

• Laluzi
    Options

Have you played her post-buff? One of the huge improvements was that the slowdown she has after firing is basically nonexistent. She also has a new addon that increases projectile speed.

• Laluzi
    Options

Yeah, Plaything, some other hex (Ruin or Devour, just to make sure they can't ignore it), and Mint Rag would be the key. And Demo's the other one that can pull it off. The key is trapping/portalling all of your totems and then rekindling them all in one sweep. I can't imagine any other circumstance where you could reach 5 tokens; they're going to notice it immediately once you hit 2 tokens and they already know where all the totems are, so only a teleport-at-will killer can manage it.

Freddy could potentially pull it off, but he's super reliant on which gens have already been done and how many survivors are asleep, so I wouldn't really bother trying.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Options

No not really as im tryna learn billy and imo having to use a purple addon every game sounds very expensive BP wise.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710
    Options

I hate get dedicated/server lagged on the vomit with plague to infect survs

But i play her from time to time

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,832
    Options

I simply dislike Hag. I don't have a definable reason, I just don't enjoy playing as her.

Plague I have a definable reason: her power fails too often. The particle collision they use allows survivors to run through the stream and not get sickened/injured. Low framerates make her extremely painful to play as. As good as it feels to get hits with Corrupt Purge, overall she's more miserable than fun.

• botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633
    Options

For hag you said it CoH hurt her hard

For plague its because of the fountain sometime you get a good one but moat of the time the fountain is always on the other side of the map and you lose a huge amount of time before you can use it if you go out of your way. Having the survivor conteol how many time you can use your power is kinda a downer too

• StarLost
    edited November 2021
    Options

Try her again.

You can go 'punish Plague' with the addon that only allows you to infect objects, but makes it last ages.

You can go 'maphacks' Plague with the addon that shows you the aura of puking people.

You can go 'machinegun' Plague with addons for faster projectiles.

Honestly, she doesn't get punished for misses that much. Close the distance, try again when you have a chance. She can also arc puke over stuff and through tiny gaps in walls. Very satisfying to play and probably a nightmare to go against.

There are a few maps (RPD...ugh) where fountains can be hard to come across, but there's usually one or two in the center. Just keep infecting.

Teams that don't cleanse, I've only had it once or twice and it always works in my favor. She turns into basically a full speed M1 killer with instadowns.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

I'm guessing the reason why Hag and Plague don't get played that much is because some find them boring to play as.

• GillyBeannn
    GillyBeannn Member Posts: 549
    Options

Hag's play style is territorial and proxy camping with traps. And since her speed is 110%, she's not supposed to be a chasing killer, which I love doing as killer, so therefore I find her boring to play.

But I freaking love Plauge because of her potential to snowball. Just having the ability to deny survivors of healing and getting my power if they do cleanse, it's so satisfying.

• GillyBeannn
    GillyBeannn Member Posts: 549
    Options

Cleansing against plauge gives her the ability to snowball with her power, pair it with infectious fright and she can get everyone. But since she doesn't have mobility, it's best to split up against her.

• StarLost
    edited November 2021
    Options

I chase with Hag a fair bit - if I'm going to get looped I'll quickly set a trap under a vault or a pallet. With Monitor I can usually get close enough to catch them in about the same time I would on other killers. I almost never camp.

The only games I really struggle with are giganto maps like Ormond where you can't really create a solid minefield or games where the survivors set up a CoH just outside of my 'zone' and just out-heal me.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

That was for old plague who didn't start with free corrupted pools.

Its more sistuational now as if the free pool is in the middle of the map then just cleanse once broken, if its in a random corner on large maps like mother's dwelling you can avoid cleansing as corrupt purge won't come into play.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723
    Options

No one plays Hag because people cry too much. I still remember the hate posts on her. If we saw an uptick of Hag, the forums would grab the pitchforks again like they do with most killers who are considered good.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Chases are what make the game fun imo, and Hag's entire thing is to avoid chasing and proxy camp instead. Boring.

Plague was always unpopular because her power is in the hands of the Survivors. She got some fantastic buffs, but I'm betting not many people have tried playing her after the changes. Probably because there are 20+ other Killers to choose from nowadays. Plague is slept on for sure.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Options

Actually since you told me to I have retried her and she has been pretty fun xD.

• StarLost
    Options

Good for you! She's really fantastic now and has a lot of nuance to her playstyle. Once you get good with her, she's ridiculously consistent.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

It can stay that way forever, as far as I'm concerned. Unless they both get major reworks.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,603
    Options

People just call them boring even though they're the most interesting.

• Sangotunk
    Sangotunk Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2021
    Options

Because of the MMR .... I was a hag main before the MMR was released and loved playing her but now my MMR is so ridiculously high that I don't even play her anymore. I'm only matched with 3000 h players minimum, so I only get extremely sweat games. In a fairly balanced game I would like it but not in a broken game like DBD

• StarLost
    edited November 2021
    Options

You could always ease up a little if you want to play chill.

I deliberately try to avoid 4king unless a team has annoyed me, as if I start playing sweaty every game, I'll end up being forced to play sweaty.

Plus, you must be a pretty damn good Hag. I've been struggling against CoH a fair bit.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,796
    Options

I don't like playing trap characters

Also hags gameplay just sucks ass

• Sangotunk
    Sangotunk Member Posts: 46
    Options

Honestly I'm just too bored of the actual state of the game to even bother reducing my MMR...

I stop caring about 4K a long time ago, before MMR, even 2K I was happy but games that barely last 5 min with holding w, no thanks !

I consider myself a decent hag not amazing or very good, just decent. I played almost always her since 2019, I miss her ...

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

You pretty much have to earn the right to not be cleansed against as a rule of thumb from my experience

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,620
    Options

A lot of people (myself included) find Hag not fun to play and also not fun to play against, thus they just don't play her. If I really want to play a trap-based killer I find Trapper more fun for both sides (and I don't play him very often either), especially now that you don't have to bring a bag addon every game like you used to. He has more counterplay and he is overall weaker but he's also not a 110 killer and I don't enjoy playing 110 killers that much (Spirit is an exception).

I've actually been seeing a lot of Plague since the buff though. She's great right now since she is pretty much the only hard counter to COH that doesn't involve instadown killers or perks.