The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The insane grind

Erak
Erak Member Posts: 97

Almost 5500hrs and 745 Million Bloodpoints took it to get every Charakter to Prestige 3 with all perks.

And the completion of all characters is getting more difficult with every new chapter that gets released. Because you have to level 2 new characters and equip everyone else with the new perks.

I don't even want to know how it must be for a player who just started this game recently. It is almost impossible to get the perks you want on the character you want to play. Especially for newer killer players that rely on good perks it is really difficult to learn a new killer and enjoy that learning when you can't get proper perks to have even the slightest chance in competing with full loadout survivors.

I know it is not necessary to prestige and it is also not necessary at all to level every survivor. But I'm also not the "general" player. And the grind-problem for newer players is not that enormous but still insanely big.

You get more BP now with the tome and other events and codes, but it's also the leveling prcess alone that probably took 50 hours or even way more for a player like me.

I don't understand why we aren't getting rid of the different Perk Tiers, the differences between the tiera are already almost not noticeable after many perk changes.

Comments

• lavars
    lavars Member Posts: 312

well... i just recently lost all my progress and hope the support can answer soon. I lost the "appetite" to grind for characters at the moment, my tome got reset, and so is my compendium.

It's interesting to basically start over, but to lose all progress is hell. Luckily i didn't have that many characters (or unlucky, depends on how you see it). But yeah. Probably give me some bloodpoints and say "sorry, we can't give you your progress back" xD

• fay13
    fay13 Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2021

sorry didn't mean to remind you and congrats on getting all killers to P3

• aerthur19
    aerthur19 Applicant Posts: 3

congratulations friend , you must feel amazing right now :D

• Erak

It's not the first time I have all characters, First time was after the Resident Evil Chapter.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

It’s making me wish I found the game 4 years before I first bought it even more. I have 1300+ hours since mid 2020 and only have 4 survivors and 5 killers at P3 level 50.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

Its making me wish i never found the game at all but now im emotianlly invested getting p3 on all charavters

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

congrats!

• themoobs1984
    themoobs1984 Member Posts: 619

To this day I do not understand how people expect or think a game and it's DLC should be free or complain about it costing money.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695
    edited November 2021

I hate to make a blanket statement like this, but Behavior isn't going to do anything to reduce the grind. It's been over 5 years, and this has been a constant complaint that has never gone away. And what makes it worse is the fact that they know that it's a big issue with their player base, and yet they still don't do anything about it other than give us some codes here and there for free blood points.

• Erak

Well it has been reduced drastically twice already. Bloodwebs in 2016 were way bigger than now and you would only earn a fraction of the bloodpoints that you get today. Also you could only get one perk per bloodweb.

But because the game gets bigger and bigger every 3 months, and the last grind reduction was a long time ago, we need anotherone.

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718

LOL HAHAHA You crazy!

• SweetTerror

Simply reducing the size of the webbs isn't cutting it anymore. There needs to be a serious overhaul. Either remove the perk tiers, the blood point cap, or allow players to unlock the perk that they want when they want it.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

The reason nothing has changed with the grind is very simple: the devs don’t want to do it. They’ve ignored the numerous complaints about it, and there’s really no incentive for them to make any changes unless people stop playing. Player numbers are still historically high, so I don’t think they’ll make any changes to reduce the grind for the foreseeable future.

• luvcraft
    luvcraft Member Posts: 1,233

I don't think "get every single character to 3-50" is the goal of the game. I mean, it might be your personal goal if you have a certain kind of completionism, but it's not the final, roll-credits end of the game. I don't think BHVR intends for that to be the ultimate goal of the game either, so they're not going to tune progression or give you every character to support that goal.

An average match typically gives me enough BP to finish one high-level page of a bloodweb, which I think is as it should be. If I want more BP from a match, I can always add a tome challenge or daily (if one's available). AND BHVR is constantly giving away codes for BP; right now you can use the code CIPHERSALAD to get 150k BP for free. That progression seems totally fine to me. I have a few killers at 3-50, and everyone else at 1-50 or 2-50, and I frequently max out my BP because I don't particularly want to prestige anyone and clear their inventory.

A nice thing about the way DbD is structured is that there are multiple options for "goals", including the aforementioned "getting every character to 3-50", finishing the current tome (or all tomes), getting to killer / survivor rank 1, etc., but there's no "final" goal to the game.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

I'm just going to get all perks on Survivor's and Killer's

I'm not going to prestige them at all

And I have almost have all of the perks on one Killer (LOL)

Same for one Survivor (LOL)

This grind is insane... and would like to not extend it by buying the Killers and Survivors I don't have... But unfortunately I don't see an other way to do it

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,085

Get rid of perk tiers, double the BP from matches, sell back undesirable stuff from the bloodweb, and toggle an option to stop 1 or 2 things from showing up in each character's bloodweb. Boom. Grind solved. But not one of these things has even been considered.

• KSzerker
    KSzerker Member Posts: 191

Grind's fine, stop prestiging and unlocking all the garbage unlockables if you hate grinding.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,170

Yea, I would not recommend this game to new players at all. Until they change how the bloodweb and grind works, no one should pick this up. But I doubt they'll change anything, not like they actually listen to the community on actual healthy game changes.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

All the relatively good perks for Killers are spread across different trees. Like, assuming you want to just pick up super-meta stuff like Ruin, Pop, Corrupt, and Tinkerer, that's already four killers. Plus levelling any killer you want to play if it's not one of those four. And then doing it again for every killer, and every extra perk you want to use.

Which is a bit excessively grindy (and creates a weird disincentive to try new killers on top of the pegged MMR). At least Survivors are compensated for the lower BP gain a bit by only needing to pick one person to unlock the perks on for gameplay reasons.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616
    edited November 2021

BHVR said they will do something with the prestiges for reducing the grinding but it's still a complete mystery atm.

@fay13 The paid killers (all from movies or other videogames) aren't expensive if you buy the standalone ones (Ghostface, Leatherface and Pinhead) when their DLC is on sale or keyshops (around 2.5€) and the rest in the ingame shop which cost 500 auric cells (5€). Considering that, all the paid killers cost around 32.5€, it's not that much, less in dollars I guess. And for reducing the grinding considerably I advise you to buy Leatherface ASAP for his perk BBQ and Chile which potentially reduce the grinding for leveling to the half.

Post edited by IamFran on
  • kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

When you start the game you only have 5 killers and 7 survivors at level 1. You have to play without bbq and bp offerings. You have to figure that there is some tutorial, daily rituals and archives to get some boost for bloodpoints. Then you need to discover teachable perks and slowly grind the way to unlock good ones. Buy or unlock characters and grind their bloodwebs to unlock teachables. And then grind this teachables on characters you like.

As new player you need to play hundreds of hours to start the game on equal conditions with veterans. Those who stand this grind will stay. But imagine how much players find this grind is unbearable at start. They probably never come back to this game.

I kind of understand the point of grind. Devs probably want you to play the characters and not ignore them while you level them up. For example new character with interesting perks released and only way to test his perks is play him. Later you can unlock this perks on your main character. If you could level up faster you would not try out this character.

• RainehDaze

I only managed to start by having two years of Halloween BP saved, so I could at least get some perks and add-ons on someone (thanks, generic Demogorgon stuff, for giving me access to one gen regression ability). Can't imagine it's super fun to begin with absolutely nothing; you're not going to be matched against that much if at all.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

I started a week or 2 after slinger came out and tonight i got my last killer (pinhead) to p3 50. I know i still got some perk collecting to do but I am happy I hit this milestone. I have Nancy P3 50 as well and Zarina P3. Redt are p1 or 2.

Considering i work all day + have 4 kids i feel I did "A pretty good job so far".

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 677

The grind is not fine.

I have been playing since the PS4 launch and only stopped for a year from Twins to Nemesis; have well over 1k hours which should be way more than enough to be able to play with the things I've spent money on.

I have the meta build on 1 survivor and stopped spending BP on that role, also haven't unlocked a majority of teachables.

I still don't have the perks I want on all killers, let alone all perks on all killers, and have only prestiged 1 killer Pig once before I realised what a mistake it was.

I also haven't unlocked 1 or 2 teachable from some of the killers whose perks are trash so they don't pollute the bloodwebs of my other killers until I have the perks I want.

They should remove perk tiers, and remove teachables from the bloodweb so they are unlocked from the character screen instead of taking up 1 of the 4 perks each lv50 bloodweb.

Also the entity can be helpful when eating trash I don't want, but its pretty much guaranteed to take the good thing you want; such as always taking lv1 BBQ NoeD Ruin etc instead of lv2 or 3 trash perks like Hangman's Trick and Monstrous Shrine, there's almost certainly a priority list to make it take the better options first and is not based simply on rarity.

• BaschFonRonsenburg
    BaschFonRonsenburg Member Posts: 311

The game HAS to have an understanding of what perks are good and what are trash. I ONLY get bbq on the bloodweb when there is another perk that’s just as meta. It’s never bbq and monstrous shrine/bloodhound/coup de grace… I refuse to believe the perks on a refreshed bloodweb are rng.

• Erak
    edited November 2021

I never said someone has to prestige and I'm also not an example for the average player. I'm a more extreme example anyway. I complained mainly that the grind is too intense for newer players. And that is definitely the case. You have to play hundreds of hours to be able to play different Killers properly.

As you can see it is possible when you play 5 years straight and commit a lot of time to this game. But only less than 1 % of the playerbase actually plays this game that much. The majority of players has a really hard time having a proper loadout on killers they want to play.

• Lenox
    Lenox Member Posts: 234

First of all, congrats. And I just posted earlier today that perk tiers need to go. Yellow-Green-Purple...not fun. Just have them all be purple tiers. Nerf bloodwebs.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,199

It's because they're scared that reducing the gtind will means players having nothing to work towards and thus won't play the game.

But there's going to be a breaking point at some point where the grind is simply too much for new players and user numbers will start to decline.

They need to make the change before that happens, not after.

• SloppyVoldemort
    SloppyVoldemort Member Posts: 452
    edited November 2021

I've started on an alt account to try and get the game platinum for the second time on console. On my main account I already have the game platinum and most of the other trophies.

So I'm curious to see how it will work out. Of course I have game knowledge on how I should level some characters, but the grind will still be huge.

• A lot of times I'll use my lvl 50 characters to help level up my other ones. Like if they have any 100% offerings, cakes, pudding, or party streamers. I'll use all of them up and spend it on another character.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

2200 hrs and I never prestiged. I saw the scam of it back in 2016 when I was tempted by the legacy skins.

All a normal player has to do is pick one or 2 survivors and level the rest to 40. It took me 266 million BP for 5 survivors all perks and most perks on all killers.

• SweetTerror

Honestly I think we're already there. Yet another killer and survivor is about to be released with their own set of perks, and since everything needs to be leveled up to tier three to be the most effective, means that everyone's in store for a massive grind, especially if they want those perks on all of their killers and survivors. And like you said, God forbid if you are a new player because you're getting screwed the most.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,486
    edited November 2021

I don't understand why people complain so much about the grind when *they* are the ones deciding to Prestige every character three times over for a single cosmetic set.

Newsflash people, Prestige is optional and not part of the grind. There's no point in going past level 40 (when you unlock the third teachable) on characters you do not play. Yet people still dump several million Bloodpoints into characters they're never gonna play, and then complain about it.

Getting every character to level 40, and the perks you want on your mains of choice, should be considered the grind. Not getting *every character to level 200+*. Of course that is going to take forever, because its not supposed to be done by the average player, and provides no benefit when it is done.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,199
    edited November 2021

I'm not prestiging a single character once. I have completely written off any possibility of ever getting a prestige skin. (Imagine the grind being so much that new players are essentially locked out of some of the content simply because they didn't start playing earlier)

It's still taken me a year to get to the point where I have 90% of the perks on 3 main killers and 3 survivors. Most of the rest are barebones at level 40 or just barely level 50.

The only character I have completely maxed out is Jake, and even then there are a few perks I haven't unlocked at all yet because I don't own all characters.

And while survivors might essentially be skins and you can just level them to 40 and be done with them, the same can't be said for killlers.

If you want enough good perks, or even just one particular perk like Ruin or BBQ, you could see yourself needing to grind to level 100 or 150 on that killer. Now repeat for any other killers you want to play.

I think the best change they could make, at this time in the games life, without completely removing perk tiers, would be to make all unlocked perks available immediately at tier 1.

This would essentially reduce the grind by a third per character, but more than that, it means you don't need to grind out any specific perks. Once you get the character to 40 and unlock them, all your other killers/survivor have them, at tier 1.

You can then make whatever builds you want to try out, and still have the option of grinding further to get them to tier 3 to be more effective.

It would also mean if you do decide to prestige a character, you will 'only' need to grind them to level 150, and you will immediately have a full set of viable perks with which to play with. Instead of being forced to grind out to level 300 before your well-earned bloody clothes are even viable to show off.

• Erak
    edited November 2021

Of course I'm an absolute extreme example and not the normal player. But the avarage player does invest a fraction of the time I invest in this game. And because of that they have a really hard time trying any new character especially killers.

I'm not complaining for me, I prestiged on purpose for completion. I complain about the game beeing absolutely beginner unfrendly. It's not just the grind you have to learn so many maps, killer-powers, perks, Add-ons, how to play against spcific killers, how to play killers on different maps and still have to work your ass off to get a proper loadout on your prefered character.

Also you literally paid real money for those character and not just the teachable perks. It might occur that you want to actually play them and not just have them in your loadout, and by playing I mean playing them with proper perks!

• RainehDaze

It sucks, yeah.

Oh look, all the perks I want to use, whether meta or because of fun interactions, are spread out across like five characters aside from the ones I want to play! Totally enjoying the "spend a week grinding someone to 40 because I just want access to one perk". /s

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551

I'm not even doing any Prestige level 3 and I have 2K hours with the game and the grind is still so much lmao. Game becomes more grindy the more characters you unlock

• SweetTerror
    edited November 2021

Just simply removing the blood point cap would do wonders. At this stage they're clearly not going to do a big overhaul to reduce the grind, so just remove the cap. How hard can that be?

• RainehDaze

You mean the cap for earning per match or the cap for BP stored?

Because the first one would help killers a bit (survivors less so unless some categories would then be super inflated); the latter only helps people who're already mostly done grinding.

• SweetTerror

Honestly? Both! With the massive grind that players have to contend with, especially new players, at this stage there's just no point in having a cap anymore. And if you're not going to remove the cap, then raise it, and raise it considerably!

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Yeah perk tiers need to go.

Would also allow them to be more creative with perks without having to add a scaling element to it like with shadowstep where it has a lingering effect purelly for the reason of being able to split it into tiers

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

5k hours and still grinding away..........

• Erak

And that is just stupid of them. If you want to play any killer regulary with decent add-ons you have to level them anyway even without getting perks. And there are a lot of killers. Not to mention there are 2 new characters every 3 months with 6 perks and 18 perk tiers