Is RPD The Worst Map In The Game?

StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

I'm not even talking about survivor/killer 'favor' here.

I dread seeing this map more than even Haddonfield or Badham these days.

Even now that I mostly know my way around (although I certainly still get turned around sometimes) it can be very difficult to pressure gens due to how much ground I need to cover between them and how counterintuitive the routes are, especially against savvy survivors that know how to avoid a 3-gen situation. It often feels like a coinflip - if I go to the wrong gen, there is no way to reach the 'right' one in time.

I often have to resort to 'staking out' a portion of the map and just surrendering gens - which is frustrating to deal with for both sides and often results in everyone getting less BP.

On the other hand, it's not uncommon to see survivors die on hooks because their comrades simply cannot figure out how to get to them. Which is annoying for me too, as I'll win not by skill, but by simple bad luck.

It takes a lot to make me miss Haddonfield, but RPD manages it somehow.

Comments

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I dislike some other maps more than RCPD personally. (I still hate 🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽 with a passion!) But RCPD is certainly the most confusing layout. The Game and Midwich and Lerys are relatively simple to get around in comparison.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

If the map is so bad you could escape it before all gens were done I’d say yes

• StarLost
    edited November 2021

Fortunately the only ranged killers I play are hybrids (PH, Nemesis, Plague) and I can only imagine how annoying playing Huntress would be in there.

It does seem to have been tweaked slightly, there was a 'House of Pain' style pseudo-infinite in the office that I haven't seen since the last big patch (could also just be confirmation) but woof, just too many safe pallets, vaults (especially the vaults into little cubicles with no other entrance on your side) and absurdly safe gens.

I love Midwich. The place just oozes atmosphere, has some fun jumpscares and feels like a nice balance between survivors having chances to outplay me and vice versa. I am aware that it is slightly killer favored though, probably due to the ease of defending both exit gates.

The Game...if it wasn't for boons being an 'I-Win' button on that map (seriously, they shouldn't project through floors) I wouldn't mind it. Once I know where the stairs are, it's just a matter of unga-bungaing through a billion pallets.

Farm maps...depends. I really hate the corn though, yeah. Fortunately I run very info/stealth heavy builds, which can help and even sometimes make the corn backfire on the survivors.

No arguments here.

It feels like they went for perfect accuracy without considering the actual gameplay.

If I could veto a single map, it would be RPD. I'd rather lose on Haddonfield or Badham.

• Pizzasauce
    Pizzasauce Member Posts: 940

Um...my least favorite, by far, most confusing, too-dark too see, impossible to-find-your-way-around map is the Silent Hill map. LOATH it.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

I think I personally hate the corn more, even if it might generally be easier than the other maps normally avoided, just because damn it I don't want my vision to be full of corn and corn and corn and corn and oh look it's a tractor.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,617

Pretty much. The fact that it's equal-opportunity terrible for both sides means it kinda just wins by default, but I do think it's bad enough for either side to warrant top spot anyway.

The funny thing is that it doesn't have to be- even its maze-like quality would be an acceptable downside to the map if it weren't so goddamn BIG. Three separate floors, each one pretty wide, is just too much. Cut it up into three separate maps, with a few tweaks to address various nasty areas like the offices, and this would be a pretty decent realm.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Yes. loading in that map means I just assume i'm going to get lost and i just start doing shenanigans

Atleast it's kinda fun as a stealth killer.

If you know the way around that maze

• StarLost

If you don't mind me asking - why?

What is it about the map you like?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this is like hearing someone say they enjoy the occasional cat food pizza.

Midwich?

When I first started, I struggled.

You just need to know the layout.

It's basically a big square. At two corners (diagonally) there are stairs. At the other two there are breakable walls to open passages up and down. There is a drop into the main square and a drop into the 'red room' on the upper floors.

As survivor, avoid running into the classrooms unless you know there is a safe vault or pallet in there. Don't do all the gens on one level first, this makes it very easy for me to pressure the other one. The central square is excellent for hiding and the red room is a decently strong loop if you have to break chase.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    FrndlyChnswSalzmn Member Posts: 705

Because it's a maze and I like indoor maps. Also, I took the minimal effort to learn the map and I rely on prediction to find survivors, so...it's not a maze to me.

RPD is further proof that people are too lazy to bother trying anything that requires even minimal effort.

• Pizzasauce

Midwich, yes. The layout confuses the hell out of me. Every time I try to go find the gates I can't find my way out of the building. I always end up in another classroom. And then as a killer of course I can't find anybody. The other day, as Nemesis, I got so frustrated that I went to punch the wall in the central area and hit a survivor I didn't know was squatting there because it was too dark to see.

• RainehDaze

"It's not a maze because I memorised it" would apply to every maze in the history of mazes. It doesn't stop them being mazelike or mazes.

• Pizzasauce

As a Resident Evil fan, I enjoy the map. But I also understand, and feel some of the hate. Once I learned how to get to the exits I liked it a lot more.

• BadLooperQ
    BadLooperQ Member Posts: 277

Imo the worst offender of the map packs are the ones with excessive dead zones..other than that RPD for me is not that monstrosity that people claim to be. Is actually one of my favs as killer and surv.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Learn the map and it stops being a problem and becomes an advantage. That's called self-improvement. That's called developing skill rather than relying on favorable mechanics to carry you. That's called...

getting good. Try it some time.

• StarLost

I understand the layout.

The issue is the time it can take me to get from 'A' to 'B', and sometimes this applies to hook placement too. I've had multiple situations where there is simply no hook within range that doesn't go through an obvious 'stun me' pallet.

This also applies to pressuring gens.

Which killers do you play, if you don't mind me asking? I only find this map tolerable on killers with excellent traversal abilities.

Again, I know the map.

On some killers, it doesn't help.

For example, you have 4 gens remaining. You are playing Bubba. You are in the main hall. Two of the gens are off in Narnia to your right and the other two are on the other side of the map to your left.

Which way do you go? Because if you pick the wrong one, both could be finished by the time you pick the right one.

• RainehDaze

But that doesn't change the underlying fact: it's mazelike, with a non-intuitive layout. You play it enough to memorise it? Great for you. If you don't, or you're playing against people that don't, then the fact it's such a mess to get from A to B on the same floor, has already turned the round into a joke.

And the other criticisms about it are part of the design! It's nearly as big to walk from one side to the other as Red Forest, if not the same size--courtesy of a total inability to just go in a straight line. And then it has multiple floors, giving it by far the biggest floor area of any map. It has a number of completely amazing vaults, but also some extra dumb pallets. It's full of tight and twisty corridors that don't have multiple pathing options, so there's no choice but to hold W--and the aforementioned vaulting cubicles.

It's a map that wants mobility to get around it, but denies the use of that mobility except for Nurse who can ignore walls. Most of the map is too closed off for ranged options. Nobody can actually SEE anything to a truly extreme degree. And then everyone can be miserable if there's a three-gen around in the sole open space in the map.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    edited November 2021

You pick the side that is easiest to defend, then you start getting downs. Ideally you picked a 3-gen to defend from the start and didn't let Survivors finish any of those gens while also forcing pallets down and getting as many hooks as possible, but that requires planning and thinking ahead, which most people can't or won't do.

In other words: Why did you let yourself get in that situation in the first place? if you have 2 gens left to be done and two sets of 2 gens on opposite sides, you ######### up and deserve to lose.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

No, as main killer I prefer RPD instead Haddonfield or Badham which are the worst maps imo.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

Btw, my Killers in this order: Myers, Bubba, Nurse, Plague, Nemesis. Of those five only Nurse has an easy time on RPD.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,065

Let's not pretend the labyrinthian layout is the only issue with the map. There's only a couple of areas I still get lost in with RCPD (mainly first floor left side, by the top, there's one dead end I always run into), I know how to get to hooks, and I know where gens/totems spawn. It's still an awful map. No-mobility M1 killers have to act like territorial killers and give up one side of the map unless the survivors are completely lost, ranged killers are now 110s that can barely use a power because survivors can constantly break LoS from virtually anywhere, and things like Shadow Step and Lucky Break are the most absolutely murderous that they can be in any map.

Mobility killers, (some) stealth killers, and teleporting killers can have fun in there. Trapper also has some potential fun because the corridors are narrow enough to completely block with traps, though stopping to obtain said traps will be even worse than usual. The rest range anywhere from 'ugh' to 'shoot me now.'

Besides, people learning the layout is in favor of the survivors, not the killer. One of the great equalizers with that map is that people would waste time looking for objectives and you'd get free hook states out of the confusion.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    edited November 2021

You do not have to 'give up' one side of the map unless you just lack the skill to control a large map. M1 Killers are disadvantaged, but it's not at all impossible or even prohibitively hard to do. I win on RPD more often than not no matter the Killer I play and that includes M1 Killers like Myers and Bubba.

• Laluzi

Sure. Whatever you say. It's not like you didn't advocate doing the same thing a few posts ago.

I'm really not a fan of this 'you all just need to get on my level and learn how to play the game' attitude you're throwing around here. M1 killers struggle to control large maps. That's just a consequence of game design and RCPD exacerbates a lot of their problems. On a map where you're at a disadvantage, 'git gud' only works when the people you're playing at are below your skill level. If they know what they're doing, trying to control the whole map will lose you the game. "Impossible" is entirely dependent on the survivors you're playing against. I can win at five gens using only Monstrous Shrine if the survivors are potatoes or run at me to get a save; that doesn't mean it's feasible.

Playing RCPD on an M1 is similar to playing Azarov's or Suffo Pit. One side of the map is dead to you until given a compelling reason otherwise because walking back and forth gives competent survivors way too much free time to work on objectives and because you can't exert pressure when you're chasing people on the wrong side of the map.

Also, you still haven't addressed ranged killers hardly being able to use their powers while being stuck with the full extent of their drawback. Or Billy, who has the worst time here by far of all the indoor maps.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Yes. It isn't subjective either.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,906

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

any time im on Haddonfield im thinking to myself "welp, could have been worse. at least its not RPD" before DCing.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

I did not advocate for that. That was just all you saw because of your limited thinking.

I said you should pick out a 3-gen from the start to defend, not that you should do nothing else but that. But if you refuse to be educated, then that's fine. I'll keep on winning where you keep on failing and crying for changes because you won't learn.

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718
    edited November 2021

Survivors can only handle flat maps where they can see the KILLER coming from half a map away! Dev's get in here and NERF IT! ASAP!

• TheDuhJ
    TheDuhJ Member Posts: 475

I hate that feeling when I'm looking for stairs. God I can't find the stairs. I hear survivors at about 70% progress on a gen. I have PGTW, but I just can't find those stairs!!!

• Fnatic47
    Fnatic47 Member Posts: 396

I played alot in the RPD map has Killer and Suvivor and i think this map is alot balanced because the map is huge and people waste alot of time doing gens and other things.. Has a Killer its amazing because of the enviroment, however it depends alot which killer YOU are using, for ex: Playing with Nurse is a pain in this a** trust me.. even if you play nice with the killer because of the map you will struggle alot... However i tryed to play with other killers like Stealth killers (Micheal Myers, GhostFace and Wraith) and its amazing. Has a survivor i understand that people many times get confused about where the gens are or where i should hide and stuff like that i get it.. Its almost impossible playing in RPD map when we are facing a stealth killer espeacially with a bad team so...

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,960

Yes its a perfect example of why maps cant be just transferred from a game to another. Visually speaking its very beautiful but im more worried about killer killing or survivors doing gens and RPD makes the experience frustrating.

• Laluzi
    edited November 2021

The fun thing is that you didn't actually refute anything I said. "Your thinking is too limited to understand how I did this" is an insult, sure, but it also cleverly passes off the burden of having to explain how your strategy makes any sense. If you want me to take you seriously, give me some examples. I'd really like to see some footage or at least an explanation for how you managed to maintain global map presence on RCPD as Myers, of all killers, that didn't rely on a potato feeding you at the start, or a cluster of survivors you could T3 and down all at once. Stuff you can do in, if not every game, then a majority of games. Or, y'know, explain how RCPD is fair and balanced for most of the roster without resorting to 'it's because you all suck at the game and refuse to git gud, unlike my enlightened self', ignoring the killers who play worse than a powerless M1 on it, and proposing community 'solutions' that make the map even harder for killers, not easier.

I watch high-level killer streamers and they can't do what you're proposing unless the survivors blatantly screw up. So all I can assume is that you're either not facing strong survivors or you're not being very honest.

But sure, I'll lock down the best 3-gen and clean out its area but also not defend the 3-gen by instead controlling the entire map like you're simultaneously advising me to do (and should be able to do if I'm not 'a limited thinker' and 'too lazy to get good at the game'), despite the fact that if a survivor goes to work on one of my gens while I'm chasing someone off another gen across the map, that gen will be at least 2/3 done by the time I can get back to it, and that's assuming it's a single survivor without a toolbox. If it's not... according to your own words ITT, I "######### up and deserve to lose." And if I come back earlier because I'm wary of this situation, then I can't commit to the other survivor I went across the map to find (unless they screwed up and went down in <30 seconds, which they should not in an area where I haven't cleared yet due to not focusing on it) and all I've gained is a hit that gets erased in 16 seconds with the CoH meta.

You keep giving contradictory advice. No. Either give me a coherent strategy or stop grandstanding. (And yes, it has to cover controlling the whole map. That's where you chose to have this argument - stick with it.)

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

As a killer main, honestly I prefer RCPD than Badham and Haddonfield. RCPD sometimes spawns nasty 3 or 4 gens, and if you hook someone at one corner of the map and everyone is far away, it's a guaranteed struggle state.

It doesn't make it a good map though. It shouldn't exist.

• StarLost

This isn't always possible, smart groups of survivors will make it very difficult to 3-gen. Plus, that's a really unfun way to play for both sides.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Look wise? No, it's one of the best looking maps in the game

Gameplay wise? Yes, nothing can save this garbage map. Not even slicing it into multiple maps

• themoobs1984
    themoobs1984 Member Posts: 619

It is the worst map in the game. Badham and Haddonfield tie for second.

• aknitus
    aknitus Member Posts: 124

When players start playing this game for competitiveness and not for fun, that is when RPD starts getting all the negative votes it can get. I have a lot of fun playing RPD, and after 4-5 games, you can get a basic sense of the entire map.

• StarLost

Ideally, this game should be competitive and fun.

I understand the layout of the place.

I still don't have fun on RPD, either as survivor or killer.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited November 2021

Yes. Difficult to get where you want to go, difficult to know where you're going, difficult to know what pallets are where. Massive map, multiple levels, indoor map. One of the lessons you figured they learned with a map like The Game would be that if you make a multi-layered map you keep each level relatively the same size as a regular split in two. Nope.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

Rpd and midwich are objectively the best maps in Dbd

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Yes

• StarLost

Objectively 'worst', certainly.

RPD is a confusing, convoluted mess that worked fine in a SP game about gradual exploration and expansion. It's abysmal in DbD.

It's not the objective 'worst'. I'd say Haddonfield is - simply because of the never fixed (and thus never likely to be fixed) infinite. But that's just on the killer side of things (survivors all seem to love Haddonfield, they certainly bring enough offerings for the bloody place).

But there are fortunately only a handful of survivors that'll exploit it extensively (at least at my MMR) and in those cases I can usually try to pressure elsewhere.

I can't think of a single fun game I've had on RPD. Win or lose, it's a misery.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,523

Easily the worst, especially now that it has a built in Killer trap. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2646028

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,823

I definitely think it's the worst map. It's way too big, and the whole thing's a maze. Whenever I play as either Killer or Survivor, half of my time is spent trying to go from point A to point B and just not being able to do it because I keep getting re-routed in a different direction. It's gotten a tiny bit easier now that I've played more, but it's still super hard.

Like, yes, you have the advantage that the other side can't find anything either, but it's just all five of you lost and walking around in the dark.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

Yes.. worst map that’s all.