Thrill of The Hunt nerfed? Why?!

Options

I just noticed that ToTH no longer gives killers notifications when hex totem is touched... Excuse me, what the hell? It was literally the only reason small amount of players who actually run it, used it.

Just why? This perk is very weak anyway and I don't see a single reason to remove the only actually useful aspect of it.

Yes yes, prolongs cleansing and blessing... Woooow... Joke of a perk right now.

It should give notifications and those notifications should have totem icon on those, just like Spies from the Shadows have crow icon in their notifications.

Comments

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294
    Options

So there is no hard counter to boon totems...

• Ssajbambusa
    Ssajbambusa Member Posts: 496
    Options

@Dino7281 So literally everything a killer can bring can have hard counter, but one, niche thing of survivor kit can't?

Killer sided game, ladies and gentlemen...

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,208
    Options

My guess is it was a mechanical/coding thing where they couldn't quite get it to consistently tell the difference between cleansing and blessing, but that's just conjecture- I don't know exactly why they made that change.

I'd caution against considering the perk useless, though. It slows down blessing by quite a lot and it doesn't lose tokens when a totem is blessed, so they have to go deal with it if they don't want to endure the slowdown.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    edited November 2021
    Options

Because coupled with certain killers and the (unmentioned here) buff to slower cleansing and blessing speeds, it would make working on totems impossible for survivors.

• Faulds
    Faulds Member Posts: 903
    Options

Before the notification was removed, i was already missing it sometimes. I thought that it would be better to make it like discordance: a permanent noise notification. But now... the perk lost its most important effect: her power to defend a hex. And i don't think they'll back track.

• jesterkind
    Options

It lost its prior effect, and gained a new one. Slowdown was buffed, because that's what the perk is now- it's not a hex defence perk, it's a boon slowdown perk, that's what it's for now.

• Ssajbambusa
    Options

@jesterkind @GoshJosh The time you spend protecting your precious little totems is time spent not chasing survivors or pressuring generators. Boons will stop being used so much after a month or two when initial euphoria vains and maybe some deserved nerfs kick in. Then we are left with useless perk xD. Also you can just cleanse dulls for this effect to be minimal - and if survivors don't cleanse dulls it's on them, because majority of killers run noed due to boon meta.

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046
    Options

Since when it's nerfed?

• jesterkind
    Options

I, uh. What?

I'm literally saying you shouldn't try and use Thrill to protect totems anymore, it's slowdown to make survivors waste time.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193
    Options

Because artist. They nerf things one patch before new killers release. same was with nemesis and franklin

• Ssajbambusa
    Options

@Sakurra 5.3.0

@jesterkind Then you have a perkslot that does nothing. Maybe it's good, I just can't see a scenario when it's worh 25% of your perk slots.

• jesterkind
    Options

It doesn't do nothing, it slows down survivors more if they want to keep gunning for blessing totems. Is it meta-level strength? No, it's a pretty mediocre perk. It's just important not to talk about it as though they nerfed it into the ground without giving it something else in return, because that isn't true.

• Dino7281
    Options

I didn't think of that...

This might be actually true.

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968
    Options

Its my understanding that in franklins case it was because the devs couldn't program it in such a way to prevent it from destroying the vaccine. Although I personally don't understand why they had to deal with that at all, it would be a shame for killer nuances to allow lower performing perks to shine. I presume that

is correct in that they couldn't get the programming to correctly distinguish -only- cleansing and they knew that boons would be dead on arrival if they allowed the notification to go live.

Ultimately however, the fact that killers are not allowed a single decent defense perk is pretty depressing, theres basically no point in running a hex thats meant to stay up anymore at all. (inb4 undying exists, undying is gutted trash kthx)

Corrupt, deadlock, pop, pain resonance meta is upon us.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

If they wanted a Boon Slowdown perk, they should have added one. Not basically deleted the only actual Totem Defense perk killers had.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261
    Options

The artist, 100% !

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261
    Options

Thrill should not be a hex perk, at least.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,611
    Options

Pretty sure they did it because Artist would have been a monster with it; she can hit you from anywhere on the map and would have made cleansing hexes impossible.

I'm still enraged that they did it. Old ToTH had its place and it got stolen away at one of the times it was needed most. The new one is too lackluster to be a hex perk.

• Dino7281
    Options

I actually hate Deadlock with pop, it denied me pop so many times while testing it :D

But ruin with pain resonance might be really good combo, because it works together.

Maybe like BBQ, Ruin, Surge, Pain resonance for M1 killers could be really good. You would have massive slow-down while ruin is still active and still solid upon cleansing. I would replace Surge for Pop for special attack killers tho.

• jesterkind
    Options

While I empathise with the overall point, Thrill wasn't actually any good at that job while it still had it. I honestly think it's slightly stronger now than it was before.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

It would almost make sense as a boon slowdown perk if it weren't a hex. The fact that it only has an effect on the game if the survivors are using 2 specific perks, and can be permanently removed from the game by 1 cleanse or bless is absolutely ridiculous.

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140
    Options

And boon totems are a hard counter to all hit and run killers...

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

That’s not true, as it still affects cleansing speeds - including itself. And that’s just the same as any other hex perk other than Undying, which always takes the hit first.

• Dino7281
    Options

I am not saying it's good reason.

I think that is main problem, that there are no good counters to it.

CoH is broken imo and it made game way less fun for me.

• Ssajbambusa
    Options

@Dino7281 I don't think the perk itself is broken, it's just healing being very strong in general in the game (medkits being the strongest items since for ever) and boon mechanics being unfair. Killer has only 4 perks, but once totem is gone, it's gone. Survivors have 16 perks, but their 'hex' affects entire team and can be reapplied... like... something here is very wrong for a asymetrical game.

• Dino7281
    Options

That perk combines a lot of really strong mechanics.

It combines super fast healing.

It combines power of self-healing.

Those effects are for every survivors, so you have basically 8 perks in 1 (2 CoH are better tho -> so 22 perk total basically)

and it also works as boon totem with little counter-play

That perk is broken atm. It's because healing is really strong and that perks gives that, so it's also about the perk itself.

• Ssajbambusa
    Options

@Dino7281 You just repeated what I said xD. The mechanics around the perk are busted, making it very strong but the perk itself is not broken really. In all honesty I find ShadowStep and Hex:Unbreakable way, way stronger.

I would say there should be fixed amount of times a survivor can bless totems or that totem can be blessed before breaking,

My idea is: Survivor have limited resources needed to bless a totem. It's 2 blessings + 1 per Boon perk equipped so with one boon it's 3 blessings per trial, with all 3 it's 5 blessings. Or maybe totem breaks after it's snuffed out for the third time?

• FFirebrandd
    Options

It was good enough to see a bit of use. Especially if you were on a high mobility Killer like Blight or running an all Hex build. TBH, it was hilarious to run TotH as your only Hex on Blight and defend the Totem. Could old Thrill have used a buff? Sure but they should have... y'know... buffed it instead of basically deleting it.

Now though? Yeah it might be "stronger" than it was and messing with Boon totems is nice... but you might not be against boon totems and you have no way of knowing ahead of time. It's been put in the bin next to Lightborn. Are they both good against the Survivor stuff they're meant to counter? Sure. Will you ever swap it in to try to counter that stuff? Probably not. At least old Thrill had a place in an All Hex build or the aforementioned solo Hex on a fast killer. Both of those are gimmicky but you as Killer can actively set up that gimmick and make it work. You can't force new Thrill like that because its a counter perk.

• jesterkind
    Options

Thrill still has a place in an all Hex build, I'm not sure where you're getting that from. It slows down cleansing too, so it's actually slightly better in that gimmick build than it was before.

Losing the noise notification is a shame, and I do think that it could use a different secondary effect to balance it out - though what that'd be I have no idea - but that hardly means it's been binned. It's much stronger than Lightborn because survivors are bringing hex totems in almost every game, and even if they don't, it's now an actual utility perk for hexes instead of being bargain-bin Undying for protecting them. Frankly, the all-Hex build is where this perk now shines and actually has a use instead of swapping it out for a second actual-effect Hex.

Thrill has not been nerfed into the ground, it hasn't been essentially deleted, and it isn't worthless. It's been repurposed to more of a passive role, which is a shame because the noise notification did open up some fun opportunities- not because it's a lesser perk now.

• Dino7281
    edited November 2021
    Options

I have thought about breaking mechanic for boon and it has a lot of issues.

It's just impossible to balance around imo.

Just breaking after first would be fine for CoH, but it would just nerf any other boon to dust.

Breaking after third or whatever doesn't really change anything, because let's be honest, that is super rare to happen. There is just not a time for that.

What might help would be make your blessing take longer for each time your bless a totem, that would fix also changing location even if killer didn't snuff it. Maybe like 4s for each time?

Or just nerf self-healing a lot.

Other boon are not that strong by itself you need to invest quite a lot, so they are broken only for SWF. SWF, Map item, Map offering (Lery's / RPD) and 4x shadowstep is just hell for a killer.

We agree that healing can be broken, but we have different take about perk. Imo mechanic broken -> perk that provides it better = broken. So it's about both things, it's weird to say perk is fine, but mechanic is broken. It applies to both imo.

• FFirebrandd
    Options

No it doesn't. New Thrill doesn't enable you to defend your other 3 perks in that gimmick build, so you're better off with more punishment or mitigation for them breaking your Totems. At this point you are way better off running Undying, Haunted, Retribution, and Ruin/Devour. Old Thrill was arguably better than Retribution in that build if you were on a fast Killer.

Here's the thing, the noise notification was 100% of the reason I personally ran Thrill. That being gone means that it is a dead perk to me. I see absolutely zero reason to slot the new version into my build ever. If I'm having trouble with Boons, I'll just run a Killer who does not care at all if they're in play (which I am already doing btw). Alternatively, I can run Exposed perks and not care about Boons that way but still get value if they happen to not be in play. Seriously... there are far far far better ways to counter Boons than New Thrill because those other ways don't fall on their face if boons aren't in play.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

Agreed.

I'd love some hard counters to Face-Camping and Proxy-Tunneling. Killers literally shrug off DS and wait 15 seconds for BT.

• jesterkind
    Options

I mean, sure, if you're gonna move from talking in general to talking about your personal tastes I obviously don't have much to say there. If you don't wanna run Thrill, that's totally fine, that wasn't my goal here!

• FFirebrandd
    Options

I brought that up to illustrate a point.

I would suspect that there were far more killer players like me who ran Thrill for the Loud Noise as opposed to the passive slowdown. They deleted the thing that made some people run it and for what? More passive, invisible slowdown.

Regardless of whether or not new Thrill is stronger or not, its design is way worse. Passive, invisible slowdown is boring. That's all Thrill does now. Passive, invisible slowdown that you don't even know how much it is helping because it is beyond easy to avoid it completely. How is this a fun perk? Why would anybody run it? Honestly, I don't think anybody is running it because of those things.

To make it worse, they butchered the fun part of Thrill of the Hunt the patch where Retribution got a buff that would have made those two perks combo together in a very fun way. Loud noise notification telling me where there's an oblivious Survivor? Sign me up! But no... Thrill is dead.

• jesterkind
    Options

If your point is that the perk is more boring to use now, then that's one that I'd agree with. The only thing I'm contesting is that they nerfed it into the ground, or that the perk is dead/useless now.

• FFirebrandd
    edited November 2021
    Options

I mean... it basically is dead.

If you want strong perks regardless of how fun they are, you have better options. You won't run Thrill.

If you want perks with interesting effects, well... it doesn't really have anything interesting going on. You won't run Thrill either.

If you want perks with big, fun, and obvious effects... well it's all passive slowdown. You won't run Thrill either.

That's Timmy, Johnny, and Spike all not caring at all. Where does that leave it? Nowhere. That's why it is a dead perk. Even if it isn't technically useless... nobody will equip it.

• jesterkind
    Options

If you want an anti-boon build, or a full hex build, Thrill is an extremely solid option. Its slowdown got buffed and it doesn't lose tokens when a totem is blessed, meaning that survivors have to go deal with it if they don't want to be wasting a long time blessing each totem.

The perk has a firm niche, it's not dead. It's just less able to do funny gimmick builds now, which is a shame and I'm not necessarily defending that change.

• FFirebrandd
    edited November 2021
    Options

Alright you responded before I edited, so let me expand on what I edited in.

Are you familiar with Timmy, Johnny, and Spike? If you are, you can skip the rest of this. It's a system the Devs of Magic the Gathering came up with to classify their different players. Timmy wants things to be BIG. Big effects, big numbers whatever, it just has to be big and obvious. Johnny wants to come up with and pull off a weird, interesting, probably convoluted plan. He cares more about that plan going off than winning. Spike just wants to win. He wants the most powerful and efficient things in the game and doesn't care about the rest of it. Sure, this is for MTG but honestly it can easily be applied to DBD as well.

Timmy isn't going to care about new Thrill because it isn't big or exciting.

Spike isn't going to care about new Thrill because there are far more powerful and efficient perks in the game.

Johnny might care about it if they can come up with something interesting with it... but speaking as somebody who is 100% a Johnny, I see nothing. The noise notification was the fun, interesting thing about the perk that you could potentially build around and it got deleted.

If you can explain what sort of player might actually care about the new version of the perk... well I'm all ears. But I really don't see it. I fully expect new Thrill to be almost never used.

• jesterkind
    Options

Well, out of those three, I do think that Spike is going to see the most value in it. Thrill isn't actually outclassed by anything in what it actually does, so if you want to do an anti-totem build, Thrill is going to be an integral part of that. As to who else is going to use it, I see two groups:

Number one is people who really hate boons. Slap Thrill and Undying together, and you've got a pretty effective way of guarding the dulls while giving a decent second chance at protecting the two hexes, I genuinely think this build is going to be very useful unless boons somehow get nerfed into the ground sometime soon.

Number two is people who like variety. Sure, there are stronger builds out there, but this is strong enough to do adequately and provides a little variety- this is the group of people for whom I'm most gunning to get the perk buffed for, because as I said earlier, I do think Thrill should be given some extra secondary effect to make up for removing the noise notification.

I like that idea, by the way, kudos to the MTG devs, smart way of thinking about players.

• FFirebrandd
    edited November 2021
    Options

I don't think you're right. Yes, Thrill is the best at what it does, but Spike wants "The Best", full stop. New Thrill isn't that. Why would Spike pick Thrill over Corrupt, Pop, Ruin, Undying, Tinkerer, BBQ, or Infectious and maybe even Deadlock? Bit of a trick question there because he won't. Johnny is the one who builds around perks that are best at what they do... but like I said, most of the interesting combos you can make with Thrill disappeared with the Noise Notification.

Edit: Also now I kind of want to try new Retribution + Undying on someone. 20s of aura reading and being able to see and sneak up on people on Dulls sounds pretty neat.

• jesterkind
    Options

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that front, then- I personally think that its efficacy in certain builds means that Thrill still has a place in the game, but if you disagree then I can see where you're coming from.

I think we can both agree that Thrill is less interesting to use regardless of our opinions on its strength, though.

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968
    Options

If you don't like deadlock you could get more value out of thrilling tremors in that case. The combination of TT and pop has been very reliable for me in the past. But the meta of gen regression is definitely starting to be behind us, its time for just straight up gen blocking. What does it matter that it stops gen regression? Without a regression perk it is completely worthless to begin with, better to just stop survivors from working on as many gens as humanly possible for as long as possible.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

Thrill of the Hunt should be changed into a non-hex perk and left as is.