Your replacement- do you feel it?

Options

You have more and more competitors cropping up. Competitors who won’t make the same stupid mistakes- not balancing for the more faithful high leveled players and releasing updates riddled with bugs and sometimes game crashing oversights despite a literal testing period a month before release. Do you sense your end? I do.

I don’t want this game to end- I want you all to step up and do better. But you won’t unless given no alternative. Now, it seems, there are alternatives. Get your sht together BHVR, or lose your fan base. Hate and flame me all you want, but mark my words: it’s sink or swim now.

Comments

• Seiji212
    Seiji212 Member Posts: 183
    Options

Call it what you will- melodramatic or. It it’s the truth- DbD, as much as I love it, has had it far too good for far too long. It’s allowed them to do the bare minimum and this game, which most of us love, is a complete nightmare even though it’s been 5+ years. Now they have to get their sht together or fail like Friday the 13th did.

they won’t, I think. They’ve had the potential most of this time to do right by their fan base but haven’t, because they didn’t have to. Now they do. And this is just the beginning.

They’ll reclaim their crown, I’ve no doubt, but in the meantime they’ll get serious and that’s all I’ve ever wanted.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,491
    Options

it would be great if there was competition but there is none yet.

VHS won’t be the game that kills DbD. It may not fail like all the other attempts, undo think they have some stuff going for them. But it won’t replace DbD at all.

And the focus of the Ash vs Evil Dead game is also not where DbD is..

would be cool to see DbD step up their game and focus more on game Balance and health, maybe new/expanded mechanics etc though

• Seiji212
    Options

You ppl don’t see the end game. I already have admitted vhs won’t kill DbD. But it’s the first wave of an oncoming onslaught.

They have to step up now or fall to whatever pops up in the next year or two. And trust me, a true contender is on the rise.

mark my words- The devs ain’t stupid- they know. Thus the blood hunt. And DbD will finally get the TLC that’s been put off for far too long.

it ain’t about this specific low value threat it’s about the pattern.

• Seiji212
    edited November 2021
    Options

No. They haven’t. Name one. You can’t bc no game has come even close. Now, however, they’re getting scarily close. DbD has gotta step it up or fade away. If you don’t see the very likelihood of a potential contender within 18 months you’re just not paying attention. It’s that simple and it’s all I’ll say on the matter.

I assure you DbD devs know this to be true. Watch what happens within a year to prove me, and several p who are paying attention, correct

Ps learn to read- the last thing I want is for DbD to fail. I want them to step up and continue to dominate the genre. Which I’ve already stated. They haven’t been because they’ve had no true competitors and haven’t had to. Now, in the very near future, they do. That’s the point.

time to step it up and it’s long overdue

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

VHS is just like Last Year....it had the same style where the kids got weapons and they bullied alot in that game....yeah the killers and instant deaths were fun but they gave the kids a shotgun......

• Seiji212
    Options

You ppl just focus on the extreme and completely ignore or miss the important points.

is what you’re saying true? Absolutely.

is what you’re saying the whole story? Not at all.

it’s about the simple fact that these attempts are getting closer and closer to the DbD formula. It’s a threat. Look how many streamers are getting hyped for literally anything else that comes close. Step outside your bias and see the big picture.

you think VHS is the end? Lol. No. It’s just come close enough to prove that DbD has to try harder now or be replaced. It’s really that simple.

• Seiji212
    Options

And none of those have even come close to replicating DbD’s niche genre. Unlike VHS. Am I speaking Ancient Greek here? Is vhs better? God no. Is it closer to DbD than any other? Yes. Yes it is.

that’s the whole point.

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285
    Options

In my opinion DBD is a huge success because of three things:

1. It is a game with a huge skill ceilling, meaning even after hundreds or thousands of hours you still have things to learn;
    2. It has gameplay variety. Even if meta exists, the game still has more than 50 characters with almost 200 perks and ~35 maps at this point;
    3. Licenses. I'm on a Silent Hill Discord and when the chapter came out last year A LOT of them bought the game to try it out. Even if most of them already quit the game, BHVR still made money on them.

VHS has not a single one of the these. It doesn't seem to have a high skill ceilling, it still has very few characters and not even a single license. It might make some success unlike HSH or RE: Resistance, but if you believe it will even touch DBD you're very delusional.

"Look how many streamers are getting hyped for literally anything else that comes close". Most streamers who are hyped for VHS are not hyped for the game itself, they just want DBD to have competition so the devs are forced to make better changes. Most of them will still stay playing DBD, because that's where their revenue lies.

• Seiji212
    edited November 2021
    Options

Last point before I’m truly done- what keeps DbD on top besides no true competitors and their many licenses? Don’t worry I’ll wait…

let one, just ONE contender arise, which it absolutely will before long, and let that contender start accruing licenses of their own- well that will become a problem.

you ppl tunnel focus on the now to the point you don’t see the future. I do. And I bet the devs do as well. That’s my whole point.

when these contenders arise the new players will become less of a priority and the faithful players will finally get the attention they both deserve and have paid money for. DbD won’t go down without a fight.

I’m done for real with my commentary, you birds can cluck amongst yourselves if you want I’ll step back in within 18 months once I’m proven correct.

• Mooks
    Options

I don’t see VHS being that close to DbD tbh. Just the very fact that the teens have to kill the monster makes it such a different experience. HSH: Survive was as far as I know closer even though you could kill the Killer you also had the escape stuff etc. Even gens, items. The same for Hide or Die and Last Year. I don’t see those attempts further away from DbD than VHS.

the only difference is that VHS is in its hype phase (as those were too at some point).

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

I'm almost tempted to put this post in my agenda a year from to actually see the results.

I would look forward to be proven wrong

• Mooks
    Options

I wish I had such an optimistic take on the future of DbD and the whole asymmetric horror game genre…

• clowninabout
    clowninabout Member Posts: 133
    Options

Vhs looks like fun to watch on a stream but I don't feel like I want to actually play it myself. It's not the same as dbd, it's asymetrical but thats the only real similarity. Seen some of vhs recently and if the "teens" are organised I can really see them becoming real bully squads. They have multiple weapons and monsters have to run from them.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,782
    Options

Except it's been said before that they plan things like bloodhunts months in advance.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

VHS has the potential to be Esport ready / good toward balance.

This is what makes it a threat.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Thats the purpose of the game. Kill or get killed, for both party. There is no escape. The goal is to kill the other party.

Which makes it instantly "competitive", since both have the same objective.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Look I’m hyped to play VHS but It won’t kill dbd

• lordfart
    lordfart Member Posts: 538
    Options

I'm pretty much only gonna try those games out if they come to gamepass. I'm not invested enough to go outta my way to fork out money for similar games coz this is just a party game to me. I wonder how many other xbox people feel the same though

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

DBD is not balanced around high lvl play. If that were true then there would be more than 3 viable killers at high mmr. If anything it's balanced around new players with all the hand holding bhvr does. There have been many competitors before and they all flopped for one reason or another. I hope we finally get a good competitor because bhvr won't work harder if they have a monopoly. They don't have to keep us happy because there's no one else.

Same. I hope the game does well but I doubt it will kill dbd.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    Options

I have no idea why, but now I have Down With The Sickness stuck in my head now...

Also - competition is never a negative. There is room for more than 1 horror based APVP game.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,104
    Options

As much as people rightfully complain about DBD and criticise the developers, making an asymmetrical PvP game is unbelievably hard to do, and there's a reason why almost all asymm PvP games died off really early.

I don't see a lot of people wanting to risk an attempt on this market and I don't think there's much that can really hinder DbD's control of it. Short of them fully torpedoing their own game, DbD is just here to stay.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

It's good that there is competition coming, and with luck it will stay the distance to push BHVR to make significant changes to their game. VHS may be successful, or may fade like the others, but it has potential. Although its art-style puts me off, the devs are putting a lot of effort in.

VHS may suffer from over-exposure though. So much pressure to be "better than DBD", when all people should be thinking at the moment is simply: "Is this game fun to play?". That is the one thing that works strongly against its success.

Personally, this genre needs more emphasis in favour of the "killer" whilst still being fair on the "survivors" for a new game developer to make a good rival, and to grow at its own pace than have people push it too much.

OP has some good points, but please enough with the amateur dramatic's society posts! It's video games, not the-end-is-well-and-truely-#########-nigh doctrine!

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,288
    Options

I'll believe it when I see it. And trust me, I'm a veteran of "This game will totally kill <game>!", as I've played TF2 for well over a decade 😂

Don't get me wrong, I hope VHS does well because it seems interesting in its own way and more good games is an objectively good thing if you ask me, but it has very blatant differences that means it won't be a direct replacement, just like Overwatch is a fun game in its own right but not a replacement for TF2.

For starters, DBD is sorta unique in the way it doesn't allow "survivors" (whatever they're called in the given game) to fight back in the kinda way we've seen in F13 and Last Year.

It just seems far more likely it might be a game someone plays alongside DBD, as another game in the same general genre but one that scratches a slightly different itch.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

I feel the exact same.

I originally was more into Friday since that was released for free, and I only jumped ship after that game died.

• M1MASTER
    M1MASTER Member Posts: 352
    Options

Isn't it funny though how so many people complain about getting bullied in DBD where the survivors can't attack the killer. There must be a reason behind it that's beyond just bad killer players crying.

Maybe it's true that survivors being able to fight back the killer might never work for making a succesful game, but this conversation doesn't really matter to you guys who essentially live in DBD because any other asymmetrical game will be shoved off regardless.

• BadLooperQ
    BadLooperQ Member Posts: 277
    Options

I want competition. BHVR became too greedy for my taste and already build up a good amount of white knights to defend them even with the most dumb decisions from them.

• Seiji212
    edited November 2021
    Options

redacted comment removed since I was fooled and am now sad.

‘the fog reborn’ patch should be a thing though. Someone hire that man.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

They need to stop balancing around an unsustainable experience. Gimmicks based off New player mistakes don't carry on with time or the knowledge and experience players gain.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710
    Options

All i wznt is for DBD to have competition so the devs finally start working on their game and on the bugs, instead of leaving an unfun mess

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    Options
  • WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

These threads remind me of those old "New MMO XYZ is going to be the WoW Killer!" posts.

• WARW0LF
    WARW0LF Member Posts: 200
    Options

Can't wait for VHS tbh, dbd is old and very dated now, with greedy clueless devs, VHS got more steam wishlists than dbds peak players record, thats kinda telling of what people really think about this dump

• lordfart
    lordfart Member Posts: 538
    Options

Do you know if it's definitely coming to xbox? I've been trying to find out but can only find info about it coming out on steam

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

Well let’s be honest, none of the competition will dethrone DBD.

Is that to say DBD is a great game? Absolutely not. DBD in my honest opinion is a bad game overall, plagued by fundamental design issues, terrible balance philosophy, relentless bugs and broken content, with minuscule updates for years on end.

However, it’s a unique offering with a large, masochistic fan base, many difficult to obtain licenses and it has been around for years which counts for a lot.

So no, games like VHS won’t topple DBD, but they will be vastly superior products for many people, and many people will jump ship or play both.

I’m looking forward to DBD finally getting some decent competition and the complacency of the devs will surely be interrupted at least for a time.