Why aren’t new killers allowed to be strong?

Options

Pinhead’s addons were nerfed because apparently he was “over performing”

and now people are already wanting The Artist nerfed even more? Even though the ‘idle crow’ damage from the PTB was already removed

Imagine if Nurse was a new killer and was only released today instead? She’d be nerfed into oblivion instantly. I imagine it would go something like this…

“we feel like Nurse has been over performing recently at higher MMR and agreed that the ability to ignore walls and pallets offered no counter play, so now when Nurse hits an injured survivor after blinking through an obstacle they will instead be put into the ‘deep wound’ status instead of going down

Why is it older killers like Nurse and Huntress are allowed to be strong but not newer killers?

Comments

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968
    Options

I think survivors lose perspective. The stronger a killer is, the more impactful each individual survivor is allowed to be.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    FrndlyChnswSalzmn Member Posts: 705
    Options

Good thing we got her or we wouldn't even know what a decent Killer looked like.

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
  • Smuk
    Smuk Member Posts: 735
    Options

Thats why is 4v1. SoloQ is unberable to all, so swf is a way to go.

coop is the key? or coop counts only on gens, healing and group slavic dance moves at exit?

• Entinaty
    Entinaty Member Posts: 163
    Options

Good logic but is very flawed. Survivors are needed true but the killer is also required. Without the 1 killer there is no game. Without the killers the game doesn't have anyone playing it because otherwise what would be the point. Basically put killers NEED to be strong because otherwise there is no point in playing this game to begin with.

I am interested in what you believe the alternative to be. Honestly I agree that they actually need to see over a period of time what people are complaining about when it comes to what makes killers oppressive regarding certain combinations, not annoying, not unfun, but oppressive combinations that can then be balanced appropriately and then tested before being updated.

For example, before the nerf to Cenobite it could have been something that was instituted in a safe environment under multiple combinations and additions and then tweaked before being updated. If only BHVR had the ability to allow these types of things to be tested by the players in some sort of public test build to iron these things out before updating them. We can only dream.

• douggie123
    douggie123 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
  • Suzzys_Secretary
    Suzzys_Secretary Member Posts: 46
    Options

What most here fail to realize is that vast majority of the playerbase are casuals, to go against s tier killers nurse blight spirit (double speed add on) require knowing every tile and map generated rng and on top of that be creative & random with movement pattern against "godly" nurses. That alone is only seen on 4-10k hours survivors. Sadly 1-3% of the playerbase will not finance an entire company (BHVR)

I don’t see the issue with the remainder of dbds lifespan having gutted killers for the foreseable future when you have 90-95% win rate killers such as nurse, will most reach that mastery most likely not same can be Said about the likelihood of 4x survivors going against that nurse one weak link is enough to wrap things up.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

I do not believe this game is tested for anything besides the newest players because that's the only thing behavior cares about

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815
    Options

Strong = overpowered to Swoopie. Can't play a balanced match, killers have to be weak.

• nanasi_K9
    nanasi_K9 Member Posts: 501
    Options

They say that the balance of the killer is based on how many kills you can get consistently.

In the JP forum, they said the following.

~2k: Very good balance. This is where we aim to make adjustments.

3k: We think it's too strong and needs to be fixed.

4k: Overwhelming and needs to be fixed immediately.

All of the killers will be adjusted so that the game's result will be 2k2e, so according to the kill rankings released last time, almost all of them will be scheduled to be weakened.

• JexxTron
    JexxTron Member Posts: 228
    Options

Just like Facebook, its all about the money. Everything else is just a distraction.

• RYANGUNSLINGER
    RYANGUNSLINGER Member Posts: 53
    Options

That can work for both sides

People still say decisive is to strong when the only way to get hit by it is to

A actually tunnel a survivor

Or

B have a survivor doing ######### all for the next 60 seconds which is giving you free pressure

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,649
    Options
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Nurse doesn´t has a 90-95% kill rate. She has the lowest kill rate of all killers.

• Tsulan
    Options

Of course a killer is required for a match. But imagine if all those survivors that only play survivor, because its the power role, suddenly switched to killer. Then we would have a situation like 2 or 3 years ago during the halloween event. At the beginning of the event people HAD to play both sides to earn the event currency. Which resulted in massive killer queues (talking about more than 30 minutes), because every single survivor main tried to play killer at the same time.

On regard of the testing environment, they should really launch the PTB as a secondary client thats permanently accessible without overwriting the main dbd client. The test times could last much longer and people should earn some kind of reward for testing and reporting new stuff thoroughly. But yes, we can only dream.

• Feyd
    Feyd Member Posts: 428
    edited December 2021
    Options

Only if said killer tunnel visions the best survivor. Play like the rest of your brothers and tunnel out the weakest link in less than a minute and enjoy the free win.

• Smuk
    Smuk Member Posts: 735
    Options

And thats why survivors queues are longer. Its better if some fools be frustrated over the game design but yet is rewarded with instant queues?

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,692
    Options

The reason we have weaker killers being released isn't because bhvr is afraid of making a strong killer or because of whining survivors; it's because we keep getting killers whose powers focus on the 1v1 rather than the 1v4.

• Tsulan
    Options

Correct. Thats why Clown is such a fitting killer for this game.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814
    Options

Well, Pinhead's chain hunt was, legitimately, a 4-player slowdown power and all the addons that actually made it function got nerfed. But you're right: we DO keep getting weaker killers whose powers focus on on 1v1. But then those powers also get nerfed anyway (Freddy, Wraith, Spirit, Pyramid Head, Deathslinger, Twins, and even Trickster's totally worthless Main Event).

The only new killers that haven't been nerfed are Blight (who is basically running Nurse: strong but extremely hard to play at first, so most killers just get a bunch of 0ks and give up, keeping the Stats low) and Nemesis (whose 1v4 power is a buggy AI mess and whose 1v1 power gives survivors a third health state and effectively reduces his downs-per-gen).

• sadakiyo
    sadakiyo Member Posts: 281
    Options

because you have to entertain people who brings them money. enjoy!

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866
    Options

This is usually how it goes with competitive games that introduce a new character/traits. Everyone buys it and then they nerf it.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994
    Options

Hope VHS will be so good, that people actually decide to abandon this game until the publisher actually fire this incompetent balancing lead and start to work on issues.

• EvilBarney666
    EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 323
    Options

This is exactly why. In any business you need to cater to the majority. BHVR does this well. Survivors outnumber killers 4 to 1. Survivor players buy more cosmetics, they bring in their friends to play with them, in turn they buy cosmetics etc.. it's a snowball effect.

If the game is too hard for the survivors they will not want to play as much. They will not bring in friends. It just makes business sense.

They know people will play killer. They have too many good licensed killers. People will play them. They know that.

Swf is an advantage. People should not be punished for playing with friends. However it IS an advantage. Have they givin the killers anything to compensate for that? No they have not. I'm not sure what they could do but at least do something.

This game shows it favors one side over the other, but again it makes business sense. When your company is about making money it makes sense. It sucks, but what can we do?

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    Options

So that we all have a reason to ditch this and go play VHS when it releases.

• Clueless
    Clueless Member Posts: 340
    Options

If the typical Killer experience didn't consist of 95% lows and 5% soft highs, there would be too many Killer players, I guess.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,636
    Options
  • Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited December 2021
    Options

Killers in this game don't really feel like killers. I mean look at the core gameplay mechanic; you're playing hide and seek and running in circles. Do you feel powerful when you play killer, like the survivors are afraid of you? I'd imagine not. That's a design philosophy in general, though. In my mind, if I think of a 1v4 asymmetrical horror game, I think the killer should be scary, overwhelming and escaping should be something that rarely happens. But that has never really been their design, and their focus on MMR in a 'survivor party game' shows that.

And that's all totally fine, it's just that their overall new killer design philosophy, their refusal to address issues like map design or perks, both useless and too strong, or creating a large emphasis lately on totems as a whole is simply a bad direction to take. The thing is there's this idea that, even if all 4 survivors escape, so long as you're playing an anti-loop killer and you don't really get outplayed in chases but can end them quickly due to being anti-loop, you get a sense of "I still played well"

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994
    Options

Thank's for your speculative opinion. We will see. But hope that it does, otherwise this clown show will be last even longer.

But why i am surprised, there are people that buy the same EA game every year and start new with ever ultimate team purchases. Stupidity knows no limits.