Is anybody using Exponential?

Options
dugman
dugman Member Posts: 9,714

Out of curiosity is anybody using Boon: Exponential? Prior to its release there were a bunch of people shouting about how broken it was going to be and other people (including myself) saying it probably was ok but not great. So I’m wondering where things have shaken out with this perk? Are you still using it, does it work great, or did you try it and it was only kind of meh? (As a killer I don’t slug that long that often that it probably doesn’t impact my own matches much either way.)

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,131
    Options

I don't play survivor, but I've been keeping an eye out for it- I've seen it once or twice, but I've never seen it get value. Honestly, I don't really see any of Jonah's perks? Even when people are playing as him, I rarely see his perks in their loadout, at least when I think to look out for them.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

It might be the most situational perk in the game honestly. Too many things have to go right to make it work

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047
    Options

I mean how else do I get jonahs adept

• dugman
    Options
  • Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047
    Options
  • dugman
    Options
  • chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    Options

Right now i am leveling him up and not even running it. Its decent though but situational

• SOULWARRIOR71K
    SOULWARRIOR71K Member Posts: 436
    Options

I’ve seen it used to it’s maximum impact twice. Both times I was going against sweat squads with the full stack of second chance perks and boons. Was damn near impossible to keep them injured and/or downed. In both cases, getting them to the basement was the only saving grace.

• dugman
    Options

That’d be an interesting video to watch if you had it recorded, I’d love to see a good killer go against a good group of survivors using Exponential.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

Only see it on the new survivor. Otherwise I never see it.

I was was part of the group that was laughing about people thinking it was OP.

• dugman
    Options

In case anybody’s curious, here’s Otz’s take on Boon: Exponential. Basically he thinks it’s decent but not as good as Unbreakable because the killer can more easily work around it.

https://youtu.be/gAbZ8hE68ZE&t=8h14m49s

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

I've seen 1-2 survivors using it, but other than that, no. It's too situational to actually be useful, anyway.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,553
    Options

I just had a slug race fall to pieces because I forgot Exponential existed and couldn't figure out how everyone was picking themselves up without Soul Guard.

So there's that angle.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,869
    Options

You can't run at full speed to reach the area of the totem, unlike CoH. Exponential is not really worth the perk slot in uncoordinated teams.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,548
    Options

I haven’t seen it much.

I almost got value once out of someone else running it after a doctor initially respected ds in endgame (which I didn’t have) but he picked me up last second since I had to crawl a bit towards the totem first (I crawled and then recovered to like 90% before he picked up).

It’s just way too situational.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,659
    edited December 2021
    Options

I've seen it in play a few times. The 2 times it has been useful is when the killer goes for a 4k slug in an in-door map.

• Vampirox
    Vampirox Member Posts: 411
    Options

to situational for its range, RCPD is probably the only place that you will get it to work on god totem spot in Library. other maps if your downed in range totem gets destroyed right away because killers can hear it

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093
    Options

I've seen it, on fellow survivors or on opponents when playing killer, very rarely. Unbreakable is still the better perk -- it only takes one well-timed UB to completely turn a match from a potential loss into a win, and having that be on-command at any time and any place on the map is more powerful than potentially unlimited pick-ups in a limited area. It feels like a perk that, like so many other perks, is potentially abusable by SWF groups, but not worth running otherwise.

• Plsfix369
    Plsfix369 Member Posts: 566
    Options

I've been seeing some Mikaela running Shadow step instead of exponential, and I've seen a lot of matches where they could have survived if they just brought exponential instead of shadow step, specially in indoor multi level maps.

Exponential does have great value if used correctly.

• GillyBeannn
    GillyBeannn Member Posts: 549
    Options

I almost got use out of it once but the blight snuffed the totem before I could pick myself up. If Exponential was in an indoor map with multiple floors, maybe it works better then? Eeven so, I'm still determined to make it work in solo q, and combining it with COH should help as well.

• tenoresax
    tenoresax Member Posts: 793
    Options

I went against it just now actually, I slugged someone near a boon and thought "ah its probably just circle of healing, I've got time to hook this other guy".

And in that instant, I witnessed the probably the very first instance of someone getting value out of Exponential.

Then I downed her again.

• PlayTwink
    PlayTwink Member Posts: 454
    Options

Situational and boring perk

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203
    Options

I had someone running it once, and it actually saved my virtual life. But outside of this situational trial... I have seen some people using it, mostly because they were doing their Jonah's Adept, but I've seen it being useful only that one time when I was slugged near to it while the Killer tried to push out Survivors to the Exit Gates.

I prefer to run Soul Guard or Unbreakable if really I want a perk to help me with recovering from the dying state. You have to be downed near the boon, or for enough long for you to crawl to the area...

I can't wait for the next "OP" perk. I remember when Power Struggle was on the PTB, everyone was like: that's OP, nerf it. I remember about Counterforce: no more reason to run Hex totem, it's OP!

Well, how many times did we see Power Struggle or Counterforce? I can count it for both in one hand.

• Pior_Morte
    Pior_Morte Member Posts: 526
    Options

Yes, I love this perk and use it almost every match.

• tesla
    tesla Member Posts: 446
    Options

I would use it if I owned Jonah. Not all the time, but sometimes.