If Boon totems didn't exist, this game wouldn't be so bad for killers

Options

True or not?

Comments

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890
    Options

Yeah the funny thing is that strong killers still barely even care about boons but it just totally murderers the weaker ones and a few hit-and-run types. So if SBMM wasn't enough, it's even more of an encouragment to just spam meta killers/builds and camp/tunnel everyone because that's the only viable strategy for alot of characters in the days of 4 second healing speeds.

• AlohaSnacBar
    AlohaSnacBar Member Posts: 64
    Options

What is the issue? Not trying to be a jerk I just honestly don't know.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,529
    Options

Eh.

CoH is busted and very much problematic.

Boons in general not so much.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,096
    Options

Based on the complaints of killers before boon totems were added that statement is false.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

Boons in general have added another layer to the gameplay which is great.

Circle of Healing could use some tweaks. So I do not think "boons" have made the killer experience bad.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

It would be better, but still wouldn’t fix some of the remaining issues such as SWF on comms and terrible map layouts with strong tiles next to each other

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294
    Options

CoH should not be treated as boon issue. It's CoH issue, it's self-healing issue, it's healing speed issue. CoH should not be nerfed as boon, it should be nerfed as single perk.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,569
    Options
  • Cameragosha
    Cameragosha Member Posts: 630
    Options

Maybe.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options
  • EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

I like the idea of boons but i feel bhvr implemented them poorly. If they were to disable them right now, i think the game would improve but they arent the core issue.

• KingSiege45
    KingSiege45 Member Posts: 138
    Options

Personally though there are several problems with this game the only boon that is actually a problem is coh and that's it really. the rest of the boons are Niche and are really only problems with like bully squads and thats it but thats mostly because of poor map design and totems just being at hard to reach places

• Exxodus21
    Exxodus21 Member Posts: 1,170
    Options

It would be fine if boons worked like hexes. They're assigned to a random dull totem that has a high chance of spawning next to the killer and once it's snuffed it's gone forever.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,192
    Options

Considering the best survivors don't even use COH it really won't do much anyway, the only people who use it are the ones who don't feel comfortable working injured and you start trading health states for pallets and teammates getting hook states mean while no gens pop, circle of healing can be strong in certain scenarios but most of the time it's just stalling the game out because everyone is constantly running back to the boon to reset instead of committing to a gen

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

But... then survivors can't torture the killer enough and it would be 4k every match

/s

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

I have no issue with Boons in general. If anything they add a little extra variety to my games as killer. The only problematic Boon has been CoH, and if that one is still statistically overpowered then it’s just a matter of adjusting its specific effects, no need to revamp the whole Boon system.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

I think this is exactly what is happening. Healing is a time waster for good players. The teams I play with that end up self-healing at CoH, lose the match. The players that heal other players end up winning games. I find that I win more matches when I don't self-heal at CoH and get a teammate to heal me.

I think inexperienced Killers are blaming coh, when it's really time management on the killers part.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

As stated before... Maps have become an issue

And it's not just the layout of Maps... it's spawn points for Killer and Survivor, Totems, Gens, Loops... even Hooks

Boons just made it clear

Also If they did lower the heal speed of COH would that be better... or even the range

I think it's a Boon issue

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    Options

I don't think this is a controversial opinion but, forgive me if it's a bit contentious either way

If Circle of Healing didn't exist, nobody would care about boons. It's that simple really

The only reason any killer ever has to care about a boon in a match is only because you don't know what boon(s) are in play. Unlike hex perks where (for the most part) you will always know what hexes are active and in play

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

Boon themselves aren't the best idea.

Ideally you'd want weaker mechanics tied to boons so no meta perk effects.

COH is the primary problem because it basically nullifies any threat of being injured while boosting healing time. I don't need to find items or team mates to heal me because I can get this free groupwide healing at an increased rate. Being injured should be threatening and avoided but COH nullifies any of that threat team wide. Its not a great design.

Same could be said for the teamwide unbreakable although its more situational.

COH was very poorly thought out especially when you consider killers like legion where their slowdown is spreading damage.

• The_Krapper
    Options

Yea but while you're off self healing everytime you're injured there's someone on your team using pallets and possibly getting hooked when pumping out a gen was the best option, I stand by the fact that good players won't use COH because you're just stalling the game and nothing is getting done, now it becomes an issue when multiple people have this same mindset that they cant work injured and then all the pallets are gone and there's nothing for the killer to respect because at that point they can just bloodlust for the down. COH is at it's best against a endgame camping killer when you need to reset and go back in for a rescue but other than that you're wasting too much time

• CuteAnimeGirlIRL
    CuteAnimeGirlIRL Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hot take: This game is fine for killers, and Circle of Healing is okay.

• pseudechis
    Options

It speaks volumes about player mindset when healing time is to much to distract you from gens. Survivor isn't that time crunched that gens need to be smashed out in under 4mins, but that's the mindset that players go in with.

Its maybe 1 game in 10 where the killer is applying enough pressure to mean healing is wasted time. Its typically far better to reset and smash out the last two gens then it is to stay injured and risk a snowball to solely focus on gens.

These are the players who get caught out by NOED etc because rather than spending a few seconds to focus on secondary tasks like healing and totems they have this idea that completing gens in 4mins is the be all and end all of the game.

I'm afraid its just not that time crunched for survivor that healing with COH stalls the game so much to use up all the pallets. That's just players who waste too many pallets.

The party wide ability to reset wounds solo at increased pace is just too easy a mechanic not to exploit and at the same time it resets the pressure of being wounded, when compared to the sunk cost of getting those wounds its a no brainer. Unless you are so gen focused that you are missing every other part of the game, even the good map sense to avoid wasting pallets.

• The_Krapper
    Options

When you're playing solo you can't control who throws a pallet and how quick they decide to drop it at a loop, also you don't know if they're on gens or not in that scenario the only sure fire way to get the gens done is to do them, I personally use windows more than pallets and will take a hit rather than drop certain pallets and just gain distance to the next loop, and with the killer meta being Deadman switch and scourge you really can't waste alot of time against top tier killers and if you're not doing gens and you're healing instead you will 100 percent lose because it's a time waster, why would you turn a 5 minute match into a 10 or 15 min minute match? That lessens your chances of surviving easily, I'd rather work and loop injured with adrenaline in my back pocket

• pseudechis
    Options

None of which has any relevance to whether or not COH is OP.

You have a playstyle you prefer and its highly efficient, great. Not everyone is gonna play like that and thank god or the game would be more dull than it currently is. COH does a little too much to reset hit and run playstyles and lessen the variety of games, its is generally a bad perk as a result.

You don't need to run it but its so easy to heal up if you do that healing is a no brainer if you have it.

Being injured should be threatening but its really not and that's a shame.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989
    Options

Unquestionably the worst mechanic they added in. Proof of how biased to survivors the game is, that boons even exist in their current format.

• The_Krapper
    Options

Well that's fine we can agree to disagree, you want it removed because it's strong , I want it removed because bots who can't use it correctly waste too much time off gens, against really good killers that try to snowball COH will make you lose but against the average player I'll admit it's not a race against time in those games

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510
    Options

Past several years of forum threads before boon totems will show that no - I don't think there ever was a time where killers have ever said it wasn't bad for them.

People always have something to complain about.

• ManyAchievables
    ManyAchievables Member Posts: 667
    Options

It's not Boons, it's just Circle of Healing.

Shadow Step and Exponential are actually quite fine, with Exponential even possibly being a bit underpowered (apart from Twins but I think BHVR has plans to eventually overhaul them what with how much they indirectly or directly nerf them), and Dark Theory is genuinely trash, so overall, 3/4 of Boons are fine OR need buffs.

Circle of Healing is not, and that is putting it lightly.

Even if Circle of Healing wasn't a thing, Killer would still be rough because...

(Obviously it's not just Dead Hard I just thought the image was funny)

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    edited March 2022
    Options

No, there is still godly palettes, windows, dead hard, super fast medkit/toolbox, big ######### maps and so on.

Actually it's boons, this is either one of shadowstep/CoH broken or dark theory/exponential trash, there is no in between.

Boons are fundamentally broken, it's either one of game-breaking or literally worthless.

• pseudechis
    Options

It doesn't need to be removed but it does need some tweaking. Either how boons work needs to change or COH needs to change.

They slowed the heal speed which is a start but the infinite nature of re-lighting boons is not too far removed from original Hex:undying and that got hit with the nerf stick pretty quick.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 456
    edited March 2022
    Options

Boons are a problem but so is Dead Hard, Prove Thyself, Built To Last, Iron Will, We'll Make It, Medkits and BNP's.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options

Boons are fine, CoH is ok, its a good idea it just needs a lifespan. "X" Amount of charges per pile of bones, then it turns to dust.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

I agree. If maps would be more fair, i would not mind strong survivor perks. Even Dead Hard and CoH, yeah. But with this unbalanced maps, this perks are so broken.

• latigresa
    latigresa Member Posts: 88
    Options

Killers were totally happy before boons /s

• Nathan13
    Options
  • mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857
    edited March 2022
    Options

I'm of the opinion that Boon totems as a whole is a FINE addition to the game.

BUT.... and its a big but... Boon COH is where most of the bs problem comes where its super annoying to deal with. compounded further by bhvr's being so tone death attitude to the community's complaint ON BOTH SIDES MIND YOU that the maps are way too big and save tiles being problematic when they're aligned next to one safe structure over the other. not to mention all the problematic second chance perks. COH just further highlighted the problem with the game's meta of bs mechanics.

with every other boon perk there is at least some back and forth, the survivor needs to bring the killer near the totem if they wanna get use out of it, which then risks the killer finding it and snuffing it. so there is always a back and forth of getting value from it vs the killer spending the time to counter it. with COH it basically says eFF all of that and it gives free value for the whole team because for the killer to go out of their way to go cleanse them its a bigger time investment than the value they could get from just downing.

COH's value should at most stop stacking with other healing actions or items. and at most extreme only self heals as fast as selfcare+botony.

andhey then they'll just bribe the playerbase again with a few thousand BP thinking it can fix the playerbase from leaking off of the boat. XD

• Cameragosha
    Cameragosha Member Posts: 630
    edited March 2022
    Options
  • Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    Options

The general impression I've gotten is that the issue is less Boon Totems in general and more Boon: Circle of Healing in particular.

• Nathan13
    Options
  • Araphex
    Araphex Member Posts: 686
    Options

The only issue with Boons is that multiple survivors can put down the same boons to cover almost the entire map.

Also, COH heals faster than med kits. They dint need to be removed, but still need nerfed.

Example, try playing against 3 SWF players with boons. It's practically impossible without face camping which I won't do. Maybe I should have?

• PatchNoir
    PatchNoir Member Posts: 590
    Options

you know its bad when 4 man healing on CoH alone is better than 4 man healing themselves inside the boon, because the killer can pressure if there are more than one person healing.

You cant say its wasted time, because a kicked gen needs 4 seconds to remove 1 second so, 16 seconds healing just regressed 4 seconds of gen time. And the killer cant instant kick a gen or walk so it will always be better to heal with no problem.

Usually they will lose more time to hit you and regress the gen than you would take to heal, walk, repair the regressed time.

Worst case scenario for the killer he will stop patrolling to snuff a boon and cant find the boon, so the survs will heal and he will lose even more time.

Worst case scenario for survivor one of them will be found and get chased (so the boon will remain and 3 people heal) or the killer snuff (4 people remain injured and will put the boon up