Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Hillbilly: current state, and tips for improving

Hey all, I was wondering how exactly Hillbilly is right now from the POV of someone who's played the game longer than I. Some online DBD materials mention him being in the running for strongest killer - or if not that far, still on the very strong side. However I struggle immensely with hillbilly, a character who I can frequently manage to get multiple back to back 0ks on. I've yet to rage quit a DBD match, but I had a particularly devastating Gas Haven game that made me come really close. My own failings aside, is Hillbilly in a good state right now, and it's simply me who's having trouble with him? Or has he since recently fallen from grace? I'd love to know what's changed, if the latter case, or what I'm doing wrong if the former.

On a related note, are there any high level content creators who regularly play or "main" Hillbilly? I'd really love to watch them if possible, to see him in action. I've seen a few videos by Otzdarva, but not anything in particular that's helped me improve. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080
    Answer ✓

After a longish break, seems like the community is split on billy. Imo he is still a toptier killer as he has always been. Fantastic for pubstomping but struggles against good survivors, like most killers except nurse, spirit and maybe huntress.

He is definetly worth learning and viable if you get good with him. Just keep in mind that he is not a TRUE toptier killer like nurse or spirit. He still plays the looping game and you will be capped against good survivors.

If you're a timmy who likes big power spikes, he is still a very fun killer. Just work on backrevs first until you hit them reliably. Then work on controlling the flick in the first second and you should be a lethal force. Always keep in mind, that a game is never lost until its lost, since his slugging power is very high and you can turn games around once pallets disappear.

Answers

• FinalStalfos
    FinalStalfos Member Posts: 15

That's a good answer, thanks. I definitely don't respect pallets, what with the luxury of Enduring and the chainsaw, but I think you're right about just trying to instadown them. Looking back on it I recall getting a lot of 0 hit M2s when, for the time I spent chasing, I could've just whacked 'em twice with the hammer. I'll definitely keep at him until I get better, but learning that sometimes its okay to not hold saw the entire chase is probably a good start.

I'll check out Zubat's Hillbilly, thanks! Didn't know he played all that much of him.

Yeah I found the addons kind of...underwhelming - for someone learning him, at least. I could see some of the engravings being better as one gets better, and the purple addon that lets you sprint through pallets looks usable for sure, but I've had little luck with the extra handling addons, aha.

• GargledFire
    GargledFire Member Posts: 83

The best way to play Billy is only M1 if they are vaulting a window, your chainsaw baits out dead hard most of the time so even against injured people it's a good idea. He is the hardest killer to play in the game, so you will lose a lot of games before you start to see improvements if you try to play him correctly.

It's better to get a curve than a pip, because once you hit higher ranks curving nearly perfectly is necessary to have a chance at winning with him, and you don't want to be a M1lly in high ranks. He is a lot of muscle memory so that's another reason to focus on getting curves over wins when first learning him.

When people say he is top tier, they mean if you play him perfectly, can curve every object 99% of the time, know how to mind game perfectly with him, and are lucky enough to get survivors who don't pre-throw every single pallet they get to. His usefulness is directly linked to your skill with his saw. However, he is still one of the best anti-loop killers in the game and will definitely be worth the time invested even if he has bugs. His bugs will be fixed so if you can play him now, he will get even better one day.

If you want to watch someone who mains billy right now, in his broken state, look at sofareks or demonicfreak.

• SofaReks
    SofaReks Member Posts: 18

Yesssss