If you are defending boons there is something wrong.

There is no way in hell these boons are fair at all. They legit give the survivors SUPER POWERS and the killer has to WASTE time snuffing it out. Please just delete them who ever had the idea please admit you just want the game to be broken.. Because 14 seconds is absolutely nothing to an efficient survivor.

Comments

• IsMmrReal
    IsMmrReal Member Posts: 201

Ps I play both sides and I wont use them. I think they are detrimental to the game and should not be in it.

• SomberNokk
    SomberNokk Member Posts: 732

Nah Boons are totally fine, infact why dont we have an endurance and 80% Vigil Boon yet???

• IsMmrReal
    IsMmrReal Member Posts: 201

Maybe you are right. Maybe I am just bad at the game. hmmmmmmm

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I think I like the concept of boon perks it's a new mechanic that changes things up a bit. But the problem is that it has been executed poorly. There are definitely changes that can be done to make them more fair and balanced.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851

They’re fine as is. Only thing I would change is one blessing per totem for each survivor. So if i blessed the totem in the main building and it gets snuffed out, I can’t reuse that same totem again. I have to go bless the shack totem. That one gets snufffed? Then i have to find a third. So 5 potential chances.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,725

That's exactly what I've been saying. Boons need minor tweaking and are an annoyance at best to every killer in the roster bar one. Circle of Healing needs atomic destruction and we shall never speak it of again.

• i love boons

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

I get why there busted but I do like boons.....Yikes I have been playing wayyy to much survivor lately.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Totem usually spawn at a loop-able title. In order to use Shadowstep & Expo. They have to loop/down from a nearby title but not at the Boon title, which makes it easy for Killer to spot the Boon and snuff.

Coh is just a free medkit zone where survivors just avoid looping near it. Since they have to out of chase to use it anyway.

Coh is 4 Selfcare + 4 We will make it.

About the timing, I agree. You only need make 2 heals from Coh to get the benefit back from blessing time.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

The tunable parameters that the devs gave themselves for boons are a large contributor to why CoH is such a nightmare. i.e., the radius, time taken, restriction on booning (that is, none), who benefits, etc. are all currently shared by all boons. The only variable is currently the healing speed in CoH (plus providing self-care), which... isn't much to work with to rebalance it.

Oh, and the ancillary problem of all totems being in even more too-obvious places everyone can get to.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,014

I really only think circle of healing is a problem. Shadow step and boon:unbreakable 2.0 dont have many uses and boon:unbreakable 2.0 need a specific build to get any use out of it.. unless ur agains the twins.

So i think COH needs a change but not shadowstep or unbreakable 2.0

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I have to disagree. The obvious step is making CoH selfcare limited use. Cap it a two or three uses. It would still be strong, but more manageable.

• Stryker
    Stryker Member Posts: 220

"survivosr wasting time while placing the boon" that happens with bad survivors;

-a bad survivor will waste his time to lit a boon in a bad position, and besides having some extra healing speed, nothing else will really change.

- a good survivor instead, will use 14 seconds to place the boon in a good positions, then what happens next is that you etiher will lose him in a chase( because no scratch marks nor aura and he has a brain) after pushing him away from a gen...

or B;

after hitting him, if you waste 1.5 seconds, then you will definitely meet him again on the next corner already healed, this will lead you to having no pressure(especially if survivors start switching during the chase), wasting your time chasing somene that cna't be downed, and losing the game because, yeah, no pressure at all.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

Which would either necessitate reworking boons to also include tokens somehow (that everyone can see?), or a token-based thing visible to the player but usable by anyone, or everyone must now track this invisible boon use counter?

All of which requires heavily reworking how it operates, which is what I mean by not having left themselves much to tune.

• adam1233467
    adam1233467 Member Posts: 1,005

Only COH is the problem, exponential is the worst boon currently, shadow step it is just annoying, COH needs a nerf, not the boon mechanic

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866

Depends on the team and killer. I've been in matches where I've blessed over three totems with CoH and it hasn't helped us one iota.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    FrndlyChnswSalzmn Member Posts: 705

Boons suck, but I did find sort of a workaround: use Hex: Plaything and they can either be oblivious all game or cleanse the dull. Then you lock them into one boon tops if you hook all 4 survivors, though you need to snuff and then hook. Add in a few hexes of your own and you can negate all their boons at the cost of your own hexes, and you could even add in Pentimento to get extra use out of those broken totems.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,694

boons are fine but COH needs to be toned down a bit.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,253
    edited December 2021

I just think that when totem is snuffed it should eather break or be un boonable after. There is 5 totems on the map. So survivors can boon 5 times per match. That would make it so much more fair. Also this would make survivors think do they want to boon 1 totem at the time and which totem should be booned since it might get destroyed. Now survivors are just booning whatever comes to their way and usually multiple totems are booned at the same time. When i snuff one another 1 is put down. It's not high risk high reward...it's just totems for dummies.

CoH is the problem boon for sure and needs to be toned down at least 50%

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,873
    edited December 2021

If I do recall right.... boons were supposed to "give the survivors a secondary objective" according to ex-dev Mclean

• Mazoobi
    Mazoobi Member Posts: 1,562

Yup and the community have been asking for "secondary objectives" for a while now so I guess we got what was asked.

• eeveelouwho
    eeveelouwho Member Posts: 9

Once killers have something that can actually combat them or help you locate totems on killer I wont mind them so bad. I also still think they should all have a set number of times they can be relit. Like you light it once, killer snuffs, the second time you light it, the killer destroys the totem. You can still set it to a different totem, but not the same one over and over because that ######### drives me nuts.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

This. I rarely see anyone using the other ones, and I'd even say Boon: Exponential is at best mediocre.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Do we actually believe exponential and shadow step are issues?

• Sludge
    Sludge Member Posts: 768
    edited December 2021

Another time waster for the killer when killers already have no time. Do you constantly snuff out Boons or give survivors powerful abilities that counter all your pressure? It's a negative either way.

They turned totems into a weapon for survivors that can be replaced infinitely, while most hexes are a joke.

CoH also encourages tunnelling instead of spreading hits. I thought survivors didn't like being tunnelled?

Boons are terrible for the game's health, so of course they will double down on the mechanic instead of removing it. Which means more DLC Boon perks.

Post edited by Sludge on
  • Fuzzycube
    Fuzzycube Member Posts: 251

IMO dull totems should have a limited use, maybe two times total of being either a Hex OR a Boon before automatically being destroyed/cleansed upon stomping out a boon or whatever.

• hannibal322
    hannibal322 Member Posts: 17

Boons are just too strong in general I don't understand how team wide perks made it past the pitching an idea stage if they were meant to be this strong. Then they went and made them infinite reuses.

I agree CoH is the main offender completely bonkers over powered. Set it near a completed gen across the map the team has permanent healing or the killer loses the game getting that boon snuffed.

Shadow step I think removing scratch marks would have been enough removing auras too counters some of the most fun killer builds in the game. Looking at scratched mirrors build.

Exponential I have no complaints about but I have never seen it run after the first week it came out.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

boons are fine, circle of healing is just absurdly strong, along with most healing related things in the game atm

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960

No no it can't because camping and tunneling is like complaining about a spammer in a fighting game meanwhile boons have no real counter measure now and COH stacked healing time is ridiculous.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

I like Boons and just wished Killers had a cooler animation snuffing them. Just kicking them is kinda lame you know...

However I think that Boons need a few tweaks to match their power. Mainly they should come with different radii depending on their powerlevel. As an example: Cycle of Healing should be reduced to 16m radius, Shadow Step can remain at 24 meters and Exponential should be buffed to 28m. Different radii would buff or nerf the Boons quit well at it influences their coverage of the map.

• DeadByStreetlight
    DeadByStreetlight Member Posts: 150
    edited January 2022

Boons shouldn't be infinite to set.

The heal speed should be lowered especially for solo heals. Also the speed shouldn't stack with other items or perks. To give perks like self care and sloppy butcher their power back.

Boons should only work on the map level, where it's placed.

And to give pentimento a reason, boon totems need a longer place time on hex totems.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

I think so, too, but the counter argument goes something like this: if boons were that restricted/you could lose the use of the perk mid game, then survivors won't play it anymore, turning it into yet another dead weight perk.

Or: its important that survivors can reboon, in order to give then the much needed secondary objective. Without this its back to slamming gens.

Or: couldn't survivors learn how to deal with a losable high risk, high reward perk like killers with their hexes? - NO! Boons might accidentally use totems as their vehicle of application, but besides that V they don't have anything remotely similar to each other, so why should any such restrictions apply?

Personally I think that snuffed boons should be destroyed, as they ARE pretty similar to hexes. And I think that all kind of boons are stronger then regular perks and they would still stay attractive choices, if there would be a max of 5 blessed totems per map and trial. It would indeed make for more interesting tactical choices then more automatic responses "oh there is a totem. BLESS!"

They would still be different enough from hex perks in that you have to bless them to activate, but don't lose them the automatically the first time they are snuffed out. Every hex killer knows the pain of busted spawns and losing an important hex within the first 30s of a trial just like that.

• iThe1One
    iThe1One Applicant Posts: 45

Sure it's not fun to play against but if they nerf them like giving them 2-3 tokens per match then they need to buff the effect radius and reduce the audio queue when near them so the killer actually has to search for them. Most times when I play killer I find the boons without even searching for them because the audio radius is very big.

• DeadByStreetlight
    DeadByStreetlight Member Posts: 150
    edited January 2022

The audio radius and the bright effect should be reduced. Or give it a try and remove the effect fully. then it only can be heard on both sides or reconized by watching the buff.

For me it's totally disturbing the game atmosphere. Its like youre sitting next to a broken freezer.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,289

Personally I feel aside from Circle of Healing most boons are fine. The only thing I'd maybe change is if a survivor gets hooked their totem becomes snuffed and adjust them after that change.

Circle of Healing is problematic because it's always in affect and a survivor has a safe haven to heal on the map without needing any perks or items assuming it isn't their Boon. Even if a person who is using it is about to be hooked and then gets hooked the other injured survivors can flock to it and heal whether it be a solo or group heal.

• NOEDENJOYER
    NOEDENJOYER Member Posts: 237

It's not ''boons'' that are the problem, it's Circle of Healing. Compared to the other two, it's flawed in design by virtue of not needing the killer to be within its radius to work. The other two need the killer interacting within the boon for the survivors to get value, COH does not, hence the design problem.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

Yeah, Shadow Step is also too powerful, especially for less-experienced killers or those with hearing impairment. Blocking all auras + removing scratch marks (and both effects lasting a few seconds after you leave the zone) is effectively giving 2 free perks to the other three survivors, which is blatantly unbalanced especially as they're infinitely renewing. It's effectively Distortion + Lucky Break for every survivor.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Boons are an interesting concept which gives the survivors a second objective rather than just sit on gens. I bet if the devs recorded stats for the average match length at high ranks before and after boons, they would be longer.

Now that's boons, let's talk about CoH. Yes it needs a nerf and pretty much everyone agrees that it does. Don't lump boons in with CoH (like 95% of people keep doing for some reason).

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960

Boons needed more time to be worked cause while the idea of them was good their execution was problematic. COH is the main culprit but due it being part of a problematic mechanic the whole thing needs to be looked at.