The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Flash light clicking needs to go or at least slow it down

Players with epilepsy or photosensitivity are affected by it, while I don't have epilepsy myself, bright lights or flashing lights or in this case constant flash light clicking can and has caused painful migraines.

I like playing this game but not when it's causing painful migraines from the constant flashlight clicking in almost every match. Players with epilepsy or photosensitivity should be considered and by not doing anything about it, you're just keeping Players from enjoying the game.

Comments

• itsjustDOOM
    itsjustDOOM Member Posts: 3

I can get behind this. It feels like the dev team has made a pretty big statement recently on their stance about bullying. I think there are definitely other aspects of the game to be looking at on killer and survivor sides.

• Zolfo16
    Zolfo16 Member Posts: 479

1 second cooldwodn for torches.

Problem solved.

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294

As an epileptic I really appreciate your effort.

I think you should be able to stop and use again flashlight once or twice, it can be used when you start using flashlight too early and is quite high skill thing, so I would want to keep that, but who needs to stop it 20 times per second?

• Dino7281

Then we have indoor gens with flickering lights around them and Doctor.

I don't know, maybe some setting that would lower intensity of those effects?

• IWFreak
    IWFreak Member Posts: 252
    edited January 2022

I am all for a setting, just like for Color Blindness.

Maybe make your screen darker Instead of brighter, idk if that would help?

I don't suffer from epilepsy, so I wouldn't know...

• Dino7281

That would actually make it worse, because difference between light and dark would get bigger. I am using Nvidia filters to remove smoke etc and make it lighter instead.

• CobraHash
    CobraHash Member Posts: 1

I cant believe this is even a discussion, how could you be asking that flashlight clicking should be removed because its annoying? Should they remove crouching too because a lot of people think thats annoying? Or what about nodding with your character as a killer, should they remove that too? How is it that some of you are actually using people with disabilities like having epilepsy as an excuse because you find it annoying. They can perfectly enjoy the game since clicking with your flashlight makes little to no difference on the killers screen, since its for a very short period of time and its never aimed at the killers face, usually aimed at the ground or at the killers body. Stop trying to remove everything that might slightly annoy you in this game.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307
    edited January 2022

I'd be all for a setting that straight up disables the light effects on flashlights, as in the light cone activating and deactivating. Let them still blind as usual obviously, but there's not flashing effect otherwise. Hell, let people disable the clicking sound too if they find it annoying, more player choice is good in my book (personally I wouldn't, as I appreciate it when someone lets me know they're not on a gen but "chasing the chase" around clicking their flashlight in the background).

Surely that would eliminate the problem without introducing restrictions that could get in the way of genuinely skillful actions like someone clicking their flashlight for a sec during a save to compensate and change the timing slightly when they realize they started it a little bit too early. Because I wouldn't want that to go.

Post edited by oxygen on
  • Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,552

Flashlights need both a cooldown and an initial cost, say 5%, so that a survivor can neither flashlight spam nor double blind.

• cantelope
    cantelope Applicant Posts: 343

People use macros to essentially click it 60 times a second which makes a noise that actually hurts with headphones on and can set off people who have photo sensitive issues. People rarely think about the occasional click click when talking about this problem. They are talking about the macro more often then not. And yes they absolutely aim it at your face even if you promise you double dog don't.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

You can add some cd to crouchspam like few other fps games does, bad things should be and can be removed without changing the game itself.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

I can't believe you can't understand how this is literally a danger to people with photosensitivity, and not 'because it's annoying'.

But your post just screams that you're unable to think of others. You want to keep flashlight macro-spam, so CLEARLY people are 'making excuses' to remove it. Instead of, you know, it being a health hazard. That would be just silly!

Imagine if spamming a flashing light in someone's face 100 times a second could cause headaches, migraines, and possible seizures! That would be so silly! Clearly, this is not possible, and thus people are just trying to ruin your personal fun, because you're the center of the universe! 🙃