Feeling nostalgic for the Balanced Landing days

Ghoste
Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Remember when Balanced Landing eliminated fall stagger with no cooldown? Ah man, that effect was so good you almost had to run it. The 3 second burst of speed was just icing on the cake.

Nowadays I don't see Balanced Landing anymore, which is kinda sad. I would almost trade away the burst of speed just for the infinite stagger reduction tbh.

And of course map design is still an issue for this perk. True pain is felt when you load onto Shelter Woods with Balanced Landing. I'd like to see more elevation in general and some love shown to this perk. Back in the day it actually gave some competition to Dead Hard, which I'm sure many people would like to see be traded out for something different every once in awhile.

How do you guys feel about the current Exhaustion meta? Personally I've been using Head-On a lot because it's the most fun.

Comments

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,053

It was fun while it lasted, but old Balanced Landing had to go. It was too abuseable on certain maps.

Makes you wonder how after nerfing Balanced Landing a few years ago, they would be able to do a similar mistake with Boil Over.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,856

Thankfully I never experienced that but I can only imagine.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,201

Haddonfield was just the most notorious. There were other maps that had strong main buildings that also featured drops that weren't much better to deal with. Like Old Disturbed Ward, Grim Pantry (before the open area next to the window), Pale Rose.

Old BL was just never going to be healthy, because passive stagger reduction from falls was never going to be balanced. The devs would have to design every possible drop around BL existing. It's a similar issue when enduring working on DS and Head On stuns.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

I agree that it was problematic and rightfully got nerfed. I just hate to see it in its current state where no one is running it anymore. I guess it's doomed to be a relic of the past.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,201

The silent fall that got added to the perk is underrated imo.

Honestly it's still a good perk itself. Just there's a bunch of stronger exhaustion perks and I don't think the issue is that BL is weak, but other options are too strong.

• Zidane_Tribal112
    Zidane_Tribal112 Member Posts: 4

I used to play killer back in the days, got very tired of it because I felt like survivors couldn't win.

I don't think it was unfair, and as a survivor I did use it and still do because I feel dead hard random if it works.

When it does great, when not Welp.

But killers can do 1 million things to counter balance, just make them jump of the loop and then go down the stairs yourself.

Use bamboozle, leave them and go for others, bloodlust if you feel that it's too hard. There is a lot of ways.

It is more or less trash now BL, and it does suck, but when slot of people complain, they'll change whatever.

• ThatGuySerenity
    ThatGuySerenity Member Posts: 15

I never saw the old Balanced Landing, but in my MMR levels, I actually see Balanced Landing a fair bit...

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

Challenges that involve "falling from a great height while in chase" pretty much force people to use it unless they're straight sandbagging.

• GenJockeyNance
    GenJockeyNance Member Posts: 687

I didn't play during the time of old Balanced Landing but in the current state of BL... I sometimes use it. It's not as good as Dead Hard but I like it. I know some spots where it'll trigger my Balanced Landing and generally know how to use it around my playstyle which is that I noticed I like to use height during chases. If I equip Q&Q + Iron Will, I can sometimes vanish from the killer leaving him to mindgame himself if I'm still there (like some vaults that are usually bad ideas if you don't have BL).

I don't see it much used either and it's a shame cause I do like it. The real bite in the booty can sometimes be the maps in which you don't get much value off the perk but as I said, I've found some elevation spots that'll proc my speed boost.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

Balanced Landing is my absolute favourite perk in this entire game. And I agree with you, I would trade the 3 seconds burst for infinite stagger reduction. It's kinda sad that I didn't get to experience the old Balanced Landing. I kinda understand why people don't use it, the perk is pretty much a gamble. You can either get Haddonfield, or you might get Shelter Woods. I'm gonna change my forum image to Balanced Landing now.

Fun Fact: I used to hate Balanced Landing because of how map-depended it is. But after using it 3 times, I feel in love with it.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

It's a shame there are maps where you simply have no opportunity to use it. If we could turn some of those Dead Hard users into BL users that could only be a good thing.

Old BL had to go as it hindered map design because they had to consider BL abuse for every one.