What is the rationale behind the wiggle buff?

Comments

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

I recently had a hand injury, which made me appreciate accessibility options in games. I had difficulty using my left hand and had to turn on accessibility options in nearly every game I played. These options are so crucial to people, so I fully support them. And if anyone cares, my hand is fully recovered now.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

Hold on what accessibility issue is cured by a skill check, that a macro didn't already fix? Same for reducing wear and tear. They've already capped wiggle to 20ms so you can't just use a macro to instantly break free. Though it seems kind of pointless when the fix was already available.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

It would have been a killer buff if they didn't adjust the timer, and killers do not need a buff to wiggle mechanics other than maybe less of a penalty for dropping, or more specifically, faster decay when they are slugged.

They need to stop buffing things that already perform well and nerfing things that aren't particularly strong. This is not anything worth complaining about.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

First off, to be fair to the original poster, they're not asking about why the devs put in skill checks on Wiggles. I don't think they're upset about that. Nor are they upset about Great skill checks reducing the time, per se. What they are calling a "buff" is that, hypothetically, if you hit every great skill check you will Wiggle out 1 second faster. In other words, the current system has a 16 second timer to escape, and under the new system the time can do down to 15 seconds if you hit every Great skill check. So the question is "why didn't they make that so the average time to escape is still 16 seconds?"

I think the answer to that question is possibly that when you say the survivors are escaping more quickly you're assuming they're hitting Great skill checks and never missing checks entirely. However, at least for new to average players, the chances of missing some Good skill checks are non-negligable. For them this change is actually a nerf, it will be harder for them to escape in 16 seconds hitting skill checks than it is to escape under the current system by just hitting alternating keys rapidly or wiggling the joystick. It's only potentially a buff for people who can consistently reliably hit Great skill checks which is probably a minority of the player base.

In other words it might be a very slight buff to a small subset of the playerbase, but for most it's either no impact at all (assuming they hit Good checks reliably but not Great ones) or it's a nerf (if they have trouble hitting Good checks consistently.)

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

Im honestly surprised this same buff didn't make its way to second hook state. Hit a great and pause the timer for x seconds! It's a silly buff that shouldn't happen. Add the skill checks to improve the accessibility for sure, but remove the greats or at least be consistent(some skill checks have greats and some don't just cause!).

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,535
    edited January 2022

If you want to make a real accessibility feature you make an option to wiggle with only holding a button down. That would really help.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

Don't really mind it, since it will saves console users analog sticks. And plus us who can't hit the wiggle buttons consistently on keyboards.

• drakolyr
    drakolyr Member Posts: 322

Okay there are multiple answers to that:

1. It was changed because of Accessibility. Also needless to say, that the wiggle often didnt work as intended, when the button didnt registred at all.
    2. I feel on some maps the hooks are way to close to each other. Litterly 2 meters. So in my opinion, thats a reason for the rationality.
    3. Without the 1 sec, the skillcheck would be pointless for the sake of skill. Also you need to hit EVERY great skillcheck to get the full potential, did you saw how fast the wiggle Skillcheck is? I think its about hitting 12 or more Great Skillchecks fast.

Also its not about % its about 1 sec. Shouldnt compare %.

• FreakPrince
    FreakPrince Member Posts: 526

Just do bones

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184

Honestly I see it as a cured solution. How many times has the killer been greedy and your wiggle meter hits that 100% mark right when they hook you because they wanted a basement hook or played bad and passed by 2 closer hooks? I see it as punishing bad/greedy players while rewarding those who play well and can actually hit all the great skill checks. I've always wanted a 1 second reduction to wiggle timers and this is an even better solution.

• kate_best_girl

I think this is a HUGE overdramatization. Its not hard to get a survivor to a hook unless its a squad dedicating themselves to always saboing and being around the killer.

• kate_best_girl

Imma switch mostly killer main and while I do agree this buff shouldn't have gone live at the current state of DBD, it should've happened in the future no matter what.

• kate_best_girl

Oh yeah so advantageous when you go to a hook closer to an exit gate and further from a 3 gen because you didn't look behind you

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Rofl... This game, bro. On behalf of all killer mains, I apologize.

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 423

Like many people the skillchecks are for accessibility which is completely fine and should be encouraged but I don't understand the great skillchecks at all. Even if it only shaves a second off wiggling it's still going to encourage people to make macros for the game and get all sweaty and tryhard which is gonna be annoying to say the very least.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

I've been begging for wiggle changes for a while. Not here, just mentally lol.

I dont see why it needed the 1 second buff, though. Second Stage has no greats so why does this need one?

I dont even think the 1 second buff will even be worth talking about, it's just a matter of principle I suppose.

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968

Because survivors need breakout value

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

Nah, keep great skill checks so survivors can get more survival points. An easier way to get survival points has been long awaited. Just remove the buffed progress.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,613

If they want to keep it interesting, they can simply make it so that hitting an arbitrary number of great skill checks will make the wiggle as fast as the current method done perfectly.

The devs will only stop when the game will be buried. I suspect soon they'll "fix" Blight & Nurse so no killer will stand a chance and the game will join Death Garden in the crypt of unbalanced games abandoned by its players (There the killers were the OP side that the devs kept buffing.).

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    edited January 2022

Killer was a joke when i played DG. That was when you could stun spam them though, so i didn't bother going back after that experience.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

Yeah, that's fine, I just think accessibility options are a great thing because of my experience with my hand injury. I can understand and appreciate the desire to have it. Whether or not the small buff if you hit greats is fair, I have no idea.

• CrashMADDS13
    CrashMADDS13 Member Posts: 302

Obviously referring to the speed buff, not the accessibility change 😑

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

I personally think that the great skillchecks in the wiggle should be removed

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

The sad thing is, there's an easy, smart way to resolve this entirely but BHVR doesn't seem to consider their own changes!

Instead of the Skill-check changes to Wiggle and the 6% buff for Survivors if they hit all Great skillchecks, why not this?

Have Wiggle be one of the actions that can use the brand-new optional Toggle mode.

Survivors with accessibility issues? Select Toggle mode and you can wiggle as well as anyone else without hassle - Win!

Survivors who like the oldschool wiggle? Leave the optional setting as "Classic" - Win!

Killers who won't see any difference whatsoever and don't face an unnecessary nerf? - Win!

BHVR gets to demonstrate that they can accommodate those with accessibility issues without changing game balance - Win!

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

The funny thing is they messed with hook spawns in the previous patch. Remember the posts appearing on this forum talking about the lack of hooks and maps with dead zones after using a single hook or just not being able to reach any? People have gotten use to it now, but they did spread the hooks out further in preparation for the wiggle buffs.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

You think?

We'll see after the patch goes live.

Boon: Exponential will see more action.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

If 1 second is insignificant then why add it?

Anyone who says 1 second won't help never screamed, the bar is at 99.999% [wiggle], as the killer hooked them. All those post from a few years ago about "hook vacuum" were clearly from survivors at 50% wiggle. 🙄

Sure some maps have close hooks but some map you can barely reach a hook before a survivor wiggles free. RPD, Haddonfun, and some instances of Midwitch for example.

Bottom line denying killers hooks will incentivise slugging and bleedout. Survivors wiggling out should only occur if other survivors get involve by block/perks or the killer gets greedy with their hooks.

BHVR can make wiggling have skill checks without decreasing the time killer have to hook. They didn't extend hook struggle time with great skillchecks, why do it here?

• BlackRabies
    BlackRabies Member Posts: 922

Be lot better to just click a button than smashing and alternate between 2 button.

• Tsulan

Balancing the game around new players is a great idea! Its not like they get better in time or anything...

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    edited January 2022

Apparently the devs disagree. Look at how many new player survivor perks exist - and new survivors still get - today. Technician, Visionary, Corrective Action, etc. etc.

• Tsulan

I know, i know. But i don´t understand the logic behind this.

• Pandamonium31
    Pandamonium31 Member Posts: 25

Yeah, the question they asked was "What was the rationale behind the wiggle BUFF". Not "What was the rationale behind changing the wiggle mechanic". If you can't even read what you're typing yourself, I'm not surprised you couldn't understand the title correctly.

Side note: Super cool that they're being considerate about players with physical impairments. (And the bonus of not destroying players' controllers/keyboards).

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
    edited January 2022

You could make that argument about the hook skill checks being a buff for Killer since it takes the Survivor slightly longer to kill themselves on hook.

Also, thanks for insulting me. I really appreciate that.

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

You could try not hiding wanting a free unnecessary significant buff behind helping the impaired. It’s pretty gross of you to use impaired peoples’ issues like that.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited January 2022

People who think the 1 second doesn't matter have clearly never gotten/denied escape from a hook solely by the hook vacuum animation.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

Without the great skill checks, it would have just been a survivor nerf.

Also one second is barely any time, if they can hit all the skillchecks.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

How would it have been a Survivor nerf? If the time to escape was the exact same as wriggling; it would not have been a nerf or a buff.