Deaf mode

Options
my friend is going deaf and she has been really depressed about it, and she also loves to play this game. I’ve made a build for her to compensate as legion, but it’s not enough upon playtesting with no volume. 

A deaf mode in the options menu that REMOVES ALL in game audio in exchange for additional visual aid would be really nice. She loves this game, and I don’t want her to feel bad because she can’t do as well in a game that so heavily relies on sound. 

Comments

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,528
    Options

There's a Streamer who plays killer and is Deaf, they have a program on their PC that increases some of the sounds - I don't know if this would be of any help to your friend at all. I will leave their Twitch link on this thread in case your friend wants to check them out. There's also another Streamer who I believe is totally deaf and again plays both killer & survivor - it might be worth checking them out for any extra tips they can give to your friend.

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Im sorry to say that but the game has been designed with sound being an important aspect in mind. I don't see a way to change it without heavy unintended side effects, even putting aside how much time, money and effort will have to be spend to make that work. DBD might not be for her anymore.
  • DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Options
    @MandyTalk thank you Mandy, we are on Xbox but your efforts are appreciated. Until then all we can do is hope, unfortunately she is completely deaf and not hard of hearing, but I will find a way for her and continue to play test builds without sound. 
  • LostInTheFog
    LostInTheFog Member Posts: 10
    Options

A deaf mode sounds amazing! It could even bring a new challenge for hearing-able players. Removing all or dimming the sound in favor of maybe a heart icon the "beats" faster the closer the killer is. A music icon that floats near the side of the screen the huntress or nightmare is on, since you can hear what direction they are on. Maybe the skill check can pop up half a second sooner before the little arm starts moving, and can still be affected by the huntress's hex totem.

This could be a really creative project for the team and would make the game more accessible to a wider fan base! Maybe the new players buying the game, chapters, and costumes would cover the costs the team would put into creating those features!

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Options
    Im sorry to say that but the game has been designed with sound being an important aspect in mind. I don't see a way to change it without heavy unintended side effects, even putting aside how much time, money and effort will have to be spend to make that work. DBD might not be for her anymore.
    Maybe so, but I really don’t want to give up on it yet. I’ll find some way. 
  • AtomicCPU3
    AtomicCPU3 Member Posts: 28
    Options

@DarkWo1f997 said:
    my friend is going deaf and she has been really depressed about it, and she also loves to play this game. I’ve made a build for her to compensate as legion, but it’s not enough upon playtesting with no volume. 

A deaf mode in the options menu that REMOVES ALL in game audio in exchange for additional visual aid would be really nice. She loves this game, and I don’t want her to feel bad because she can’t do as well in a game that so heavily relies on sound. 

this sounds interesting but they would have to design it in such a way that it doesn't have an advantage over the normal version

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    Options
    Maybe so, but I really don’t want to give up on it yet. I’ll find some way. 
    Well i respect that kind of persistence, good luck, i really hope you are getting it to work even if the chances are bad.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

Playing survivor without sound actually turns the "horror game" into a horror game.