Help with a no ruin Pig perk build

So i'm switching things up from the doc cause honestly, i haven't had fun as him in a while, and i wanna try something new. So i figured id give the pig a try. I enjoyed her when she first came out, but then went back to doc like always. Anyway, i want to try a build without ruin for once and i am open to suggestions but here's what i'm thinking.

Thanataphobia ((lesser ruin i know, but need to add something to slow the game even by a bit))

Discordance (for game progression awareness.)

SB (slows the game a bit more and works in conjunction with the last perk)

Bloodhoud ((for tracking))

i know it seems like a meh build but i'm trying to have fun here. i'd appreciate any pig mains giving input before i start grinding pig for perks.

Comments

• Joe5566
    Joe5566 Member Posts: 20

Well without ruin is kinda hard to play the pig but I usually go with . BBQ, Bamboozle, Spirit fury and Enduring.

• Joe5566
    Joe5566 Member Posts: 20

I would rather go with Whispers or Enduring instead of bloodhound cause as the pig you don't need that much tracking.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited January 2019
    I've been kinda sorta experimenting without using Ruin on Pig recently.  My build these days is usually BBQ (good at tracking of people with traps, since they are less able to play around it), Spirit Fury + Enduring (to keep up with chases a bit better once pallets inevitably start dropping), and a fourth slot that I've been trying to figure out.  Sometimes it's Ruin, sometimes it's Nurse's Calling, sometimes it's Whispers.  Currently it's Save the Best for Last, just to try and further keep up in chases.
  • Crizpen
    Crizpen Member Posts: 129

Personally, I would take off Thanataphobia. It's not a great perk to begin with, even to slow down the game, and Pig doesn't have the ability to injure multiple people in quick succession, unless you happen to catch a couple together at the same time. If you aren't going to use Ruin to slow survivor momentum, then you don't want poor substitutes, but either something to speed up your ability to take momentum away, or something to make their momentum work in your favor.

For those reasons, I'd recommend either an insta-build: Make Your Choice and Devour Hope, mixed with chase ending perks like Spirit Fury and Enduring. Or, an end-game build with Blood Warden, NOED, and Remember Me; you could add Fire Up to that selection, and it's okay, but not the strongest perk out there.

In the insta-build, you're objective is to hook someone as quickly as you can. Hooking that player forces at least one other survivor to come for the save, which you can turn into a second hook quickly via Make Your Choice. In the best case, they recognize you have Make Your Choice and are more hesitant to go for hook saves, which robs them of a quarter of their momentum with each hook you make. Once you get three, if you protect your totem, the game is all but won.

In the second, you're hunting a particular survivor in the obsession. All the better if they have DS, since it gives you an extra stack on Remember Me. Once the last generator is complete, you're keeping them inside with wanting to save someone on the hook, as well as Remember Me, Blood Warden and your reverse bear traps not allowing them to leave.

I've always viewed end-game builds as extremely risky, and they aren't to my style, but I have seen them work and work very effectively.

What I see in the build you suggested is an attempt at a competitive early / mid game, while abandoning the strongest early / mid game perk in the game. It can work, and it can work really well in some games if the RNG and survivor mistakes are in your favor. If they aren't... it'll be painful.

I understand why people don't like relying on Ruin, since it can be broken very quickly in any given match. That said, it's purpose isn't to last all too long, not really, and you can't rely on that happening. Instead, Ruin is better viewed as a perk which exists to slow survivor momentum long enough for you to take control of the match.

We have to accept that survivors begin every match with 100% of the momentum. They start near generators and away from the killer. They can start work immediately, where the killer must first find, then chase a survivor to slow that momentum at all. So, ideal match progression goes:

Point in Game / Survivor Momentum

Start / 100%
    1st Chase / 75%
    1st Hook / 50% (One on hook, one going for the save).
    2nd Chase / 25% (One on hook, or just taken off, one going for the save or making the heal, one in chase)
    2nd Hook / 50%

The longer you can maintain that snowball, the less time each survivor spends on a generator, and instead in chase / on the hook / making saves / healing... anything except generator progress. Even if they find your Ruin not long after the first hook is made, it has bought you enough time to begin your snowball.

If you aren't using Ruin, and you aren't using Nurse or Hillbilly, then you need to find another way to take control of their progress.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

Pig's strengths are stealth and distraction.

STEALTH BUILD
    Monitor & Abuse---Get closer before crouching(don't use Ambush at Gens IMO)
    Rancor---Helps with seeing where Survivors are
    Sloppy Butcher---slows healing and goes great with
    Nurse's Calling---sneak up on healing Survivors

DISTRACTION
    Hex: Ruin/Huntress Lullaby (use traps after Ruin is destroyed but use traps while Huntress is active
    Sloppy Butcher
    Thanatophobia
    Distressing
    Survivors are distracted with getting rid of your totem, getting off traps, slow healing, and with the huge TR hiding from you on top of it.

BONUS END GAME
    Rancor
    Remember Me--kill Obsession to make gate take longer to open
    Blood Warden---in conjuction with NOED you seal the exit gates and when this wears off is a great time to use your traps ;)
    NOED

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237

Just use the normal brutal force build...
    Enduring, Spirit Fury, BBQ and Bamboozle.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Blood Warden is really good for Pig. If you trap someone when gates are powered you almost guarantee a BW proc. It's a devastating perk if you catch people with it too. It adds a guaranteed 60 seconds, which is more than you might get from Ruin depending on RNG.

I use Whispers and Nurse's Calling, so when you are crouched you know survivors are around and can see them healing without them knowing exactly (unless they have like Spine Chill or Distortion).