Opinions on the new Boil Over?

Options
2»

Comments

• Seiji212
    Seiji212 Member Posts: 183
    Options

New Boil Over literally ensures you cannot be hooked from certain zones on certain maps. I’ve played a lot of killer since it came out. I didn’t really have the room to drop any perks but IG is basically a necessity now jic I run into it and I have been for about half of my matches. Most of the time it’s fine, it’s the every other fifth game or so where someone decides to abuse it that is decidedly not.

I seriously cannot begin to comprehend how this change made it to live, or how anyone with even a modicum of impartiality can think this is good for the game.

There should be no perk that ensures you cannot be hooked, no matter how situational, period. If bhvr wants to keep it the way it is, that’s fine- but maybe double check that these busted af maps don’t have so many spots to abuse it. How hard is it to ensure a hook spawns at the top of eyrie, or ironworks, etc?

And I know ppl think DMS is too strong, but unlike new Boil Over there is always counter play to get around it. There is NOTHING to be done about trolls who sit there and point at you bc they know you can’t hook them. Except camp their slugged corpse, which I am happy to do if they are that annoying.

• gusm09
    gusm09 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Good for killers right now, because survivors are using one of their perk slots to try this new meta out.

I had this game as trapper with this Steve using Boil Over, that everytime i found him he kept going to the 2nd floor on the generator with the screens in the doctors map, and there were no hooks near me so he just kept wiggling out of my grasp. I probably had a chance to play around that but it still felt a bit hard to catch him.

I imagine the most unforgiving map for this new feature has to be the RPD map, due to the 3 floor library with no hooks.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093
    Options

I've seen it in more matches over the last two nights than I probably had in the last year combined before the buff, and that's not an exaggeration. A couple of times, it was being run with a teammate either running a sabo build or Breakout. But more often, even if the player was part of a SWF, it seemed like the person running Boil Over was using it independent of anything else to aid in their wiggling off.

For the most part, I played around it and didn't have too many issues with it. Had a Jane wiggle off on Midwich without me even dropping because there just weren't any hooks close, but eventually I downed her closer to one and that was that. Played against a Feng on the Eyrie of Crows map and watched her run upstairs in the main building when injured, and I pretty much knew what was happening -- the moment I saw the Boil Over icon show up, I dropped her and went on my way. After downing her a second time up there and doing the same, she finally got the hint and dropped to the ground herself.

The only real trolling I ran into was a Nancy on RCPD who immediately headed to the top of the library to a dead end when I injured her -- as I was chasing her, I immediately thought "She must have Boil Over". Again, the moment I saw the icon after downing her, I dropped her upstairs and went after other survivors. Once someone picked her up, I found her again quickly, and back up to the top of the library she went for me to down her again and leave her again. Eventually, she ended up bleeding out. On one hand, she denied me a hook, but considering that she spent the bulk of her match slugged at the top of the library, that was -- fun? -- for her I guess? I never bleed anyone out, but there was no reason for me to even attempt to get her down from there when I knew it was going to be impossible.

As others have said, it's an annoyance if run by a solo, and it's a perk that you'll need to play around as killer once you know a survivor has it. The wiggle bonus for the drops should be reduced, or hooks put in places like the top of the library so that situations where a hook is impossible doesn't exist. The more people run it, the more killers will end up slugging, which is usually not enjoyable for survivors when it happens, so why a perk was changed to encourage that, only the "infinite wisdom" of the devs would know.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607
    edited January 2022
    Options

The only killer DMS is even a remote problem on is Artist, and she's really not popular. No one is saying Boil over is an OP strong perk that's going to net you 4 Escapes. The issue is the perk is garbage for solo and for winning, still, and the ONLY thing the change did was make it so it's a weapon for bully squads. No, you won't see anyone in a week trying to use boil over to win, and you won't see it now, either. You absolutely will see bully squads a week from now using it, just as you'll see bully squads bringing 4 flash lights or 4 head ons. Some people don't care about winning, they care about trying to ruin the other sides fun, and the problem with this perks design is that it gives such people a wonderful new tool while also doing nothing for solo queue because the buff isn't good for actually using the perk to win.

Unless the devs intent was to make it easier to bully killers, the buff and design is a total fail and it isn't healthy for the game.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

I don't think that's really a bug, at least not a new one or one that is ever going to be fixed. That's how it's worked for BL as long as I can remember. You can activate Balanced landing from falling 2 feet off a rock on a hill, or falling half a foot off the side of a tractor. It will often count even the smallest fall as "great height" but it's super inconsistent. Which is why adding it to this perk was terrible because the killer cannot even know if where he's going to drop from will trigger the buffed effect, because the effect is so incredibly inconsistent. So you have to play as if any height, no matter how small, will trigger it. I knew that would be an issue because it happens with BL all the time.

This is assuming it does work just like triggering balanced landing, which it seems to. And if people are burning offerings solely to trap you in a game where they can grief you, and you are fairly certain that's what they're going to do when you see that burned offering, you should just DC in loading. You shouldn't feel obligated to get bullied and maybe people will reconsider burning such offerings to troll when it results in them just getting kicked back to the main menu every time.

• JacksonWise
    JacksonWise Member Posts: 651
    Options

I went up against a squad that all had Boil Over and used an Eyrie of Crows offering. I killed them all. So satisfying.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

I would use it if I had it unlocked. It is underrated.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

Balanced Landing doesnt work like that, it doesnt activate when going down stairs, I said I didnt drop from any distance at all, I used the stairs from the first step to the last and I didnt notice any weird camera bounce the whole time I was carrying the Survivor yet they wiggled in 8 seconds instead of ~16 so the perk activated twice, it looked like it activated from using stairs with a certain slope not from falling from any height.

Also Balanced Landing doesnt activate from small bumps, you need a minimum fall distance for it to activate its not much but there are small drops where it wont activate, you can tell the trigger condition if you fall from a height and stagger when reaching the ground, if you drop from a small bump and you dont stagger Balanced Landing doesnt activate.