Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Opinions on the new Boil Over?

Aurelle
Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Just curious about everyone's opinions on the buff to Boil Over.

I tried it out a couple times as survivor and the staggering effect seems really crazy, I felt bad for the killers who were carrying me. This one Artist that I went against couldn't even get through a tiny doorway when she was carrying me just because of Boil Over.

Comments

• NemeanXIII
    NemeanXIII Member Posts: 286

😯 😑

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    edited January 2022

I like the idea behind it but its very unhealthy for in terms of design and can also be abused, should get atleast nerfed to 15% wiggle bonus or even lower imo.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I've been using it to see what the fuss is about. I wiggled off ~4 or 5 times today. (Compared to basically never) So it now actually does its job now.

Did it really change the outcome of any of those matches? Nah. At best it gave my teams time to do an extra generator, but by the time I was getting into the situation where I'd need to boil over my team was already breaking anyway.

I'll probably play with it a little bit more but after the novelty wears off I'll probably go back to my comfort zone perks tbh.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Hate it

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Yea....same as always

Perk comes out or changed and players immediately will say that it'll be meta and it'll be used for like a week

It'll be really hard to make Survivor players change up the meta.... And Boil Over doesn't do that much in the current meta

And it sucks to say it out loud

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

Solos will find uses for it just as much as bully squads do, until Killers put it on their no fly list and begin assuming the survivor has it if they went down in a suspicious spot.

• NemeanXIII

Oh no I totally agree, Ive had alot of trouble today with these bully squad's.They force us to change the our killer meta for weaker perks to use while they give the survivors stronger perks and most of them only want to troll you with these perks not play the game as intended.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Here is the thing, we will start seeing more slugging Killers along with Camping and Tunneling Killers.....and if the bully squads are using Boon Exo along with Boil Over we will see Camping Sluggers......the Devs are incentiving the "toxic" behavior from Killers but don't care how abusive Perks are on both Killer and Survivor. They say Booms are working as intended but most agree the basic mechanics of them need a lot of tweeking, CoH still has the stacking bonus with Medkits and the Nerf only made heals take a few seconds longer. They don't care how SWFs have a major advantage over SoloQ and Killers but only to address the possible changes to SoloQ HUDs to have basic information on what's going on.

We all can see how broken the game is and how unintentionally biased the Devs are, because I personally don't think they are biased on purpose, but major changes do need to be done or thier cash cow of a game will die

• randonly
    randonly Member Posts: 456

well, i'll have to agree, the aura distance buff is not the problem, but the percentage when falling from high places has to be reduced, or at least activate 1x

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

I faced it and had little problems with it. Sure, steering gets a bit difficult sometimes but so far I have little to no issues. Still got my hook. The only time I had a problem was when I faced two friends who were both using Boil Over with Breakout. That took me by surprise the first time. Later I just had to slug them to get my hook but then again: Starstruck solved that issue...

The survivors are also taking a "weaker" perk to get this effect. Boil Over is still not the same level as Dead Hard, Iron Will or Deceisive Strike...

Bully squads are an issue with or without this perk. They now just have another angle and require even more slugging. Not that I mind as long as I play Oni or Hillbilly I have to slug either way, Cannibal also does not mind a bit more slugging along the way.

I will never understand why survivors consider slugging toxic as long as the Killer does not let them bleed out without even trying to hook them when they could. Slugging is an important part of the game for some Killers (Oni, Hillbilly, Bubba), to counter some perks (Deceisive Strike) and to gain momentum. It has a defined risk of you loosing the person, UnbreakaBill happening or Exponential finally getting some value...honestly a fine mechanic: Risk, reward and counterplay.

If the devs are biased it is because they want to make SoloQ more fun. And let us be fair: For the most of us it is hell. I only play survivor when I can play with at least one friend and even when we play as 3 the one soloQ survivor can shot us in the foot easily without even wanting it.

I thing the bias is deserved for this.

Bully squads are quit rare (unless you play at the weekend it seems) compared to 2-1-1, 2-2 or 3-1 lobbies. Balancing perks around them would leave probably 90% of the players in the dust...

The problem is that survivors get some shiny new toys while Killers got...well, I guess Gearhead and Deadmans are a thing...and a bunch of nerfs to Clown, Nemesis and Twins...sure the reasoning for those nerfs may be up for debate, but the image we get is: Survivor gets new toys, Killer gets nerfed. This is bad communication, not even bad intent...

• NemeanXIII

I was thinking of running Iron Grasp,but yeah it seems survivors may grow out of there shells sooner then later.

• VikingDragonXii

IG won't help much with the Buff.....it's hard to control the wiggle....best run IG with Agg.

• VikingDragonXii

I run into bully squads alot tbh but that could just be my own crap luck lol. But I agree SoloQ needs love and help but so many Killers need a QoL or a straight up Buff to keep up with the growing list of shiny toys of Survivors

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

How high does the drop have to be to trigger? The perk has that nice + vague "from a great height" phrasing we know and love from the archive challenges but the wiki claims it's the same heights that would trigger balanced landing...

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

Damn that bad...

Especially Killers like...well, Clown, Twins and Nemesis could use some love. People are still a bit icky about Nemesis and that he lacks that feel of an unstoppable force (which I understand) and thus nerfing one of the few "feel good" add-ons on that Killer is a pretty bad signal.

Also Clow nerf...yes, Pinky Finger, yes that is fine. But seriously the other things?

I get their argument that they have to bring the add-ons in line if they have such a big impact. A Killer should be good on their own and not add-on dependent. However then they should nerf the add-on and baseline buff the Killer and not just gut the add-on.

Boil Over itself offers some "issues", sure. I think it is okay and like that I get to see a perk other than Dead Hard, Iron Will, Decisive Strike, UnbreakaBill/Prove thyself/Borrow Time/Cycle of Healing for a bit.

Still: Survivor now get to enjoy a "new" perk while Nemesis players are asking themself how to live on without Marvins...

• buzzaman
    buzzaman Member Posts: 119

Its a perk that wont do anything in most situations, but its highly abusable if survivors choose to do so

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333

Boil over is far far worse than dms. You won’t see boil over in a 1 week, but dms could be meta

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

It will be used in groups who want to be annoying. But those are usually not even the groups Killers complain about, Killers complain about sweaty Survivors, players who use Boil Over are not the same as sweaty Survivors.

I would compare it to No Mither-Sabosquads. You will almost never see them and when you see them, it will be annoying. But in regular DBD-gameplay, you wont see Boil Over.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2022

I believe Boil Over is bugged, I downed someone at the top of the asylum on Crotus Penn and taking all flights of stairs I wasnt able to hook the person even doing it several times, Im 100% SURE I didnt drop from any distance and used the stairs always but the Survivor wiggled out rather fast like he had 2 instances of the perk activating, also the person using Boil Over burned a Crotus Penn offering, he knew what he was doing.

My guess is there is some bug with fall detection that makes the perk activate at normal stairs.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

it's irritating but beyond niche builds and certain maps that i already avoid, it's not really gonna impact my gameplay all that much.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,761

I feel like it was overbuffed and I'm so happy I main Pyramid Head now so I don't have to deal with it ever.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

Very map dependent. It’ll be useless on some. But, abusable on others

• Lаurie
    Lаurie Member Posts: 13

I dont see any problem with it. Balanced and a good perk

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

that's the only thing I probably would change about boil over, and leave it at 100%.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

Give it a few weeks or so and you'll rarely see it like lucky break.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

its defintely worse than new DMS

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

Its not worth it using up a perk slot unless you built around it, which is basically just toxic gameplay.

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,451

The survivor I carried to the basement had Boil Over I knew he was hoping I'd use the drop shortcut...naaah.

• wisdomwielder
    wisdomwielder Member Posts: 348

Don't know about you guys, but I've gotten pretty good at "surfing" the new boil over to the point where I actually get to the hook faster 😆

I can see new players having an extremely hard time with this perk.

Unfortunately, this perk has become another bully-squad anti-hook favorite, and I ran into it multiple times on multiple killers on the first day. It makes certain areas like the top of iron works impossible to hook somebody unless a hook spawns down there, and people knew about it already (no mither, boil over, ran there multiple times).

I think a counter might be to drop them off your shoulder right on the edge of the drop off, but it can be extremely difficult to do with all that extra movement going on. I'm not totally sure it's even worth it as the progression might be the same, so you many still have to leave them slugged after dropping them for little bit in order to let the wiggle bar regress.

Overall I think the perk is now a problem. All it does is make certain areas of certain maps "unhookable zones" especially if you've got a buddy with breakout. It's similar to the old breakdown bug that created dead zones on maps where hooking was impossible.

Overall bad change.

I don't think the effect should go away entirely since it's interesting, but it should be reduced to something much smaller, like 10% or 15%; small enough to account for these situations where survivors are safe if they run to a certain area of the map.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

Gimmicky at best.

I don't think it will win as many matches.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

On one hand, I'm glad to see a terrible perk buffed.

On the other hand, this has made a mildly annoying perk absolutely frustrating to deal with. Taking out the coordinated squads abusing this to be unhookable on some maps, it doesn't have any real tactical value aside from 'I'm really really annoying now'.

Think of it this way.

The '25% on falling' doesn't seem to have an ICD.

Some maps have areas (RPD library, Eyrie, IWOM) where 'multi tier' falls are necessary to hook someone, or impossible to avoid due to the shoving. This means that, if you simply run to this area, the killer has to slug you because you can't be hooked. If they try, you will always escape. Even Agitation doesn't really help here.

If you make a perk pretty bad - except for if you want to be a griefer - then only griefers will use it.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,530

I don't think it will reach meta levels, but it definitely seems to be annoying.

• jinx3d
    jinx3d Member Posts: 519

its like deadhard, where its one perk with 2 very strong effects that feels like aids to play against

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960

Just another survivor hand out like all the other abusable perks.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I played a few times last night and had a couple of survivors with it. The dropping from a height thing never came into play but the stagger from Boil Over is massive! 😯 I lost a hook simply because I literally couldn’t steer myself into a nearby hook, it kept forcing me off into obstacles. If Boil Over becomes meta I may consider Iron Grasp just as a quality of life perk.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

Careful running Iron Grasp! The devs will 'look at the numbers' (IE: See Survivors complaining) and see every Killer running it, and nerf it.

'The reduction in wriggling making the Killer strafe is reduced from 75% to 3%, and the reduction in wriggling on the meter is now a flat 2%'. 😁

• GillyBeannn
    GillyBeannn Member Posts: 554

I personally have not gotten any use out of it except for a couple of times which I almost did. Going against it didn't feel that bad, but I felt the difference. It's a perk that works the best with the swf's, but situational in solo