Homophobic slurs aren’t bannable?!!

Options

Comments

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited January 2019
    Options

@sadmuffins13 said:
    I dont have tolerance for people who say your gay and they mean your stupid. Just say your stupid. Black people dont like like the n word. Gays dont like the f word . like you can insult someone in so many way but choose to use sexual orientation as an insult? Pathetic...

I love using "gay" not so much as a serious insult, but as something lame, stupid, questionable. You know: not something that's completely wrong, just... not quite right.

This has to be bait right? Lmao so why not just say thats lame or stupid or questionable? Its people like you that hinder progession for equality. You look at it as something small but in reality its that type of thinking that has spread ignorance . Gay means happy if anything. So using it in that context is wrong...
    Yeah it is bait. But it's also true. And it's not wrong to use it in that context. Language is based on consensus, and this word is quite widely used in this sense. Like, "I don't know man, farming is kinda gay."
    It is wrong an if you cant see that then idk what to tell you. 
    If you could make a case outside of sensibilities (appeal to emotion) then you may actually convince someone. 
  • lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142
    Options
    Fenrir said:
    nøbødy said:
    Blueberry said:

@tt_ivi_99 said:
    Saying someone is gay is not bad, its the same as saying a black person is black or a lesbian is lesbian.
    O course the people who say that dont mean It in that way but devs cant do anyting if the context is not clearly verbal abuse (which would be calling you something like [bad word] gay, instead of just gay).
    There has to be explicit verbal abuse in order to ban someone.

This ^ basically.

Like being offended for calling the grass green. If someone calling you gay is offensive to you, then you are believing there is a negative connotation in being gay. You don't like gay people? That's pretty homophobic in itself. Pointing out something isn't offensive, stop getting offended so easily. Snowflakes everywhere.

He's talking about being called a f*g. That kind of homophobic slur.
    And yet no bans
    OP made a second post on this issue. This situation happened on Xbox. Sadly BVHR cannot ban in this case.
  • sadmuffins13
    sadmuffins13 Member Posts: 73
    Options

@sadmuffins13 said:
    I dont have tolerance for people who say your gay and they mean your stupid. Just say your stupid. Black people dont like like the n word. Gays dont like the f word . like you can insult someone in so many way but choose to use sexual orientation as an insult? Pathetic...

I love using "gay" not so much as a serious insult, but as something lame, stupid, questionable. You know: not something that's completely wrong, just... not quite right.

This has to be bait right? Lmao so why not just say thats lame or stupid or questionable? Its people like you that hinder progession for equality. You look at it as something small but in reality its that type of thinking that has spread ignorance . Gay means happy if anything. So using it in that context is wrong...
    Yeah it is bait. But it's also true. And it's not wrong to use it in that context. Language is based on consensus, and this word is quite widely used in this sense. Like, "I don't know man, farming is kinda gay."
    Can you explain why? (I assume you mean it's morally wrong somehow, not grammatically.) It's just another word expressing disapproval.
    You know its wrong in both cases. The word in no way means disapproval. You literally said your last post was bait so i cant even take you seriously anymore. I think im just more in shock im having this convo. Im assuming your straight an have no idea of the struggle in the lgbtq community. An youll probably say i have a gay friend which somehow makes you think its ok. At the end of the day its your life you will say and do as you please. Just stop being toxic and trying to get attention.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    Options

@sadmuffins13 said:

Can you explain why? (I assume you mean it's morally wrong somehow, not grammatically.) It's just another word expressing disapproval.
    At the end of the day its your life you will say and do as you please. Just stop being toxic and trying to get attention.
    I feel like there is an "or else" somewhere in that last part...
  • George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    sadmuffins13 said:

George_Soros said:

sadmuffins13 said:

George_Soros said:

sadmuffins13 said:

George_Soros said:

@sadmuffins13 said:

At the end of the day its your life you will say and do as you please. Just stop being toxic and trying to get attention.

Now you're the one playing a victim Chester :P

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited January 2019
    Options

sadmuffins13 said:

George_Soros said:

sadmuffins13 said:

George_Soros said:

sadmuffins13 said:

George_Soros said:

@sadmuffins13 said:

Now you're the one playing a victim Chester :P

🙈 🙉 🙊
  • DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @Orion I don’t mean this in a rude or harsh way, but I don’t think your political rant has a place on the forum for an asymmetrical horror game in my humble opinion. It could cause more problems and fighting, politics divide people pretty harshly, and I think you’re better than that, while trash talking is definitely a problem, it’s ALWAYS been a problem since online gaming was first introduced, having thick skin is a self help way of being mature and moving on instead of giving salty players the time of day to make you the subject of their temper tantrum.

That’s all I’m trying to say, I’m not saying something shouldn’t be done, but I also think it’s a solution that anyone can get peace of mind from if they just don’t give confrontational individuals the attention they want to use against you. Just because someone else doesn’t have self control, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t as well. 

I’m not implying that this problem should be ignored, but I also don’t think toxicity is the worst of this game’s problems right now. 
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

@DarkWo1f997 said:
    @Orion I don’t mean this in a rude or harsh way, but I don’t think your political rant has a place on the forum for an asymmetrical horror game in my humble opinion. It could cause more problems and fighting, politics divide people pretty harshly, and I think you’re better than that, while trash talking is definitely a problem, it’s ALWAYS been a problem since online gaming was first introduced, having thick skin is a self help way of being mature and moving on instead of giving salty players the time of day to make you the subject of their temper tantrum.

That’s all I’m trying to say, I’m not saying something shouldn’t be done, but I also think it’s a solution that anyone can get peace of mind from if they just don’t give confrontational individuals the attention they want to use against you. Just because someone else doesn’t have self control, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t as well. 

I’m not implying that this problem should be ignored, but I also don’t think toxicity is the worst of this game’s problems right now. 

Dude, my "rant"? I posted, like, two comments on Republicans - after someone else brought up politics - both of which put together were shorter than the first paragraph of your comment here.

• DarkWo1f997
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Orion said:

@DarkWo1f997 said:

Dude, my "rant"? I posted, like, two comments on Republicans - after someone else brought up politics - both of which put together were shorter than the first paragraph of your comment here.

Which in term nearly derailed the post’s original intent, yes.. it’s a bit of a stretch to suggest neo nazi’s are at fault for homophobic slurs in post game chat.. that’s just ridiculous, I think it’s because this game can be more stressful then fun at times and it gets people really upset. 

My post is longer than your two comments because I know how you are, and I’m not going to start some sort of argument with you, I just think it was really too far to bring politics into a gaming problem that has existed for over 10 years now. 

Take your screenshots, file a case report, it gets taken care of. The problem gets dealt with. Don’t engage them and give them your anger or get upset, you’re only hurting yourself. Have confidence in who you are and embrace your options, but don’t let someone you’ve never met make you think you should be ashamed of yourself, don’t respond to it, report and move on. 

There are better ways to discuss the problem and find a solution without potentially setting someone else off on the forum because you offended them with a mere personal perspective of a political party. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not arguing about this with you. There are better ways to discuss this problem. 

EDIT: counted 8 comments pertaining to the political subject. That is indeed enough to be a mini-rant. I’m done replying to you on this thread. I understand your frustration Orion, I really do, but I think it’s Best I leave this topic alone and move on, as I really don’t believe there’s much else productive to be said here in this conversation. 
    Post edited by DarkWo1f997 on
  • George_Soros
    Options

@DarkWo1f997 said:
    @Orion I don’t mean this in a rude or harsh way, but I don’t think your political rant has a place on the forum for an asymmetrical horror game in my humble opinion.

It's the best place for political rants. As long as we keep it civilized, it's interesting to know what the guys I play with think about politics. You say politics is very divisive. I say, with most people, if we actually listen to the other, even in the worst case we can get to that point of "agree to disagree"... and very possibly learn some new perspectives in the process.

• DarkWo1f997
    edited January 2019
    Options

@DarkWo1f997 said:
    @Orion I don’t mean this in a rude or harsh way, but I don’t think your political rant has a place on the forum for an asymmetrical horror game in my humble opinion.

It's the best place for political rants. As long as we keep it civilized, it's interesting to know what the guys I play with think about politics. You say politics is very divisive. I say, with most people, if we actually listen to the other, even in the worst case we can get to that point of "agree to disagree"... and very possibly learn some new perspectives in the process.

Yes but you know what people on the internet do best, it almost never ends well. Walking on egg shells here and I think if we keep the convo related to the game the problem will
    have a much higher chance of being solved and the conversation remaining productive. 
  • George_Soros
    Options

@DarkWo1f997 said:
    George_Soros said:

@DarkWo1f997 said:

Yes but you know what people on the internet do best, it almost never ends well. Walking on egg shells here and I think if we keep the convo related to the game the problem will
    habe a much higher chance of being solved. 

Just forget about anything "getting solved" on any internet forum. It doesn't happen. But if there are about a dozen well thought over comments before the flames start, it's already worth it. Especially if those comments are from people you disagree with.

One small notion I kind of just realized: if you go to the comments section of some news site, forum or any other place on the web that is devoted specifically to politics, chances are, you'll find a lot of likeminded people, echoing each other's political convictions, ideas, etc. Place like a gaming forum: you can talk to all walks of life, people from different backgrounds, with different beliefs... fun, right?

I say we keep it up until Not_Queen or someone else kicks our arses off.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    Options
    While I never felt oppressed nor abused in any way because of my sexuality, the whole lgbtqxxx community has suffered greatly and we tend to be over sensitive when it comes to situations where being gay is used as an insult or as something derogatory or negative.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    Options

@DarkWo1f997 said:
    George_Soros said:

@DarkWo1f997 said:

habe a much higher chance of being solved. 

Just forget about anything "getting solved" on any internet forum. It doesn't happen. But if there are about a dozen well thought over comments before the flames start, it's already worth it. Especially if those comments are from people you disagree with.

One small notion I kind of just realized: if you go to the comments section of some news site, forum or any other place on the web that is devoted specifically to politics, chances are, you'll find a lot of likeminded people, echoing each other's political convictions, ideas, etc. Place like a gaming forum: you can talk to all walks of life, people from different backgrounds, with different beliefs... fun, right?

I say we keep it up until Not_Queen or someone else kicks our arses off.

I agree, plus most of us are forum vets so we know each other a bit, we spent enough time not talking politics that we might be willing to be open minded and not "REEEEEEEE!!" the ######### out of each other. 

Plus there is no echo here.
  • Gorgonia
    Options
    You guys should kiss. Hard. Like with tongue and everything. 
  • Orion
    Options

@Gorgonia said:
    While I never felt oppressed nor abused in any way because of my sexuality, the whole lgbtqxxx community has suffered greatly and we tend to be over sensitive when it comes to situations where being gay is used as an insult or as something derogatory or negative.

No offense, but speak for yourself. I just want ######### to be held accountable for their actions.

• Gorgonia
    Options
    Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

No offense, but speak for yourself. I just want ######### to be held accountable for their actions.

I never said they shouldn’t? I’m talking about when they use gay as in “man, that’s gay” (?
    That doesn’t make people ######### unless they go overboard about it knowing it can alter someone else’s peace of mind.
  • Orion
    Options

@Gorgonia said:
    I never said they shouldn’t? I’m talking about when they use gay as in “man, that’s gay” (?
    That doesn’t make people ######### unless they go overboard about it knowing it can alter someone else’s peace of mind.

I never said you never said they shouldn't. I said that you should speak for yourself instead of projecting, in your words, your "over sensitive" nature to the entire LGBT community.

• ChesterTheMolester
    Options
    Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

Orion, you did blow the topic, don't get me wrong but the alt right is what, 50k members worldwide, all in middle age or above members, take a look at them, they don't even know what Steam is.

The ones using such language are most likely just kids. And since you don't know them its better to apply Hanlons razor and say that these are raised by parents that are, statistically speaking, no full blown neo nazis and simply do not watch what their kids are doing on the internet, which is how they got involved in DBD in the first place (look at Noob3's and you know who's comment section).

Im not accusing you yet of pushing an agenda but you did go full overboard in an almost hysterical way.
  • Orion
    Options

Orion, you did blow the topic, don't get me wrong but the alt right is what, 50k members worldwide, all in middle age or above members, take a look at them, they don't even know what Steam is.

The ones using such language are most likely just kids. And since you don't know them its better to apply Hanlons razor and say that these are raised by parents that are, statistically speaking, no full blown neo nazis and simply do not watch what their kids are doing on the internet, which is how they got involved in DBD in the first place (look at Noob3's and you know who's comment section).

Im not accusing you yet of pushing an agenda but you did go full overboard in an almost hysterical way.

I made one comment on the subject of Neo Nazis in this thread. Why are you blowing it out of proportion?

• ChesterTheMolester
    Options
    Orion said:

I made one comment on the subject of Neo Nazis in this thread. Why are you blowing it out of proportion?

You did that its a result of neo nazi normalisation, i assume most of them never even heard of /pol/ nor know a neonazi, not to mention being nearly unable to understand the philosophy of national socialism.
  • Gorgonia
    Options
    Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

I never said you never said they shouldn't. I said that you should speak for yourself instead of projecting, in your words, your "over sensitive" nature to the entire LGBT community.

I think I mentioned I never felt oppressed due to my sexuality? I’m not over sensitive myself but many of my friends are and sometimes they react badly towards unintended offenses or jokes coming from people that ignore what being gay is and how gay people feel when their sexuality/orientation is used as a joke. Not justifying them, just saying that before we get mad we need to try and educate those people. Give them the chance to tell apart the joke from the aggresive statement.

Now, this is totally not including those that intend to be ######### when they understand the lgbt situation fully. Many of those are in these forums and in online games.
  • George_Soros
    Options

@Gorgonia said:

That's gay.

:)

However, I'm willing to do it, if only to prove how open minded I am. @ChesterTheMolester , are you game?

• Gorgonia
    Options

@Gorgonia said:

That's gay.

However, I'm willing to do it, if only to prove how open minded I am. @ChesterTheMolester , are you game?

Romantically.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    Options
    Gorgonia said:
    Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

I think I mentioned I never felt oppressed due to my sexuality? I’m not over sensitive myself but many of my friends are and sometimes they react badly towards unintended offenses or jokes coming from people that ignore what being gay is and how gay people feel when their sexuality/orientation is used as a joke. Not justifying them, just saying that before we get mad we need to try and educate those people.
    Sorry but you contradict yourself there, you say its unintended that means there is no offense given, yet claim you don't justify that as if there was a crime.

Given that its unintended, they may need to learn to differentiate between the two, because emotions don't justify actions, no matter if you are gay or misinterpreted a joke. They are after all responsible for their own behavior. 
  • ChesterTheMolester
    Options

@Gorgonia said:

That's gay.

Im not gay but since your name is Soros i may be game if you pay me enough. 😘
  • Orion
    Options

@Gorgonia said:
    I think I mentioned I never felt oppressed due to my sexuality? I’m not over sensitive myself but many of my friends are and sometimes they react badly towards unintended offenses or jokes coming from people that ignore what being gay is and how gay people feel when their sexuality/orientation is used as a joke. Not justifying them, just saying that before we get mad we need to try and educate those people. Give them the chance to tell apart the joke from the aggresive statement.

Now, this is totally not including those that intend to be ######### when they understand the lgbt situation fully. Many of those are in these forums and in online games.

And I didn't say you felt oppressed. I'm just saying, don't project over-sensitivity to the entire LGBT community.

• Orion
    Options

You did that its a result of neo nazi normalisation, i assume most of them never even heard of /pol/ nor know a neonazi, not to mention being nearly unable to understand the philosophy of national socialism.

No, I said Neo Nazis were trying to normalize it.

• lasombra1979
    Options
    Gorgonia said:
    As a member of the LBGT community, please speak for yourself. Vast majority I know don't give a damn about the word gay used as a nonsexual slur. Sorry but I have more important issues to worry about than someone using gay to mean stupid. Hell nearly all my friends in the community do as well. 
  • Gorgonia
    Options
    Gorgonia said:
    Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

I think I mentioned I never felt oppressed due to my sexuality? I’m not over sensitive myself but many of my friends are and sometimes they react badly towards unintended offenses or jokes coming from people that ignore what being gay is and how gay people feel when their sexuality/orientation is used as a joke. Not justifying them, just saying that before we get mad we need to try and educate those people.
    Sorry but you contradict yourself there, you say its unintended that means there is no offense given, yet claim you don't justify that as if there was a crime.

Given that its unintended, they may need to learn to differentiate between the two, because emotions don't justify actions, no matter if you are gay or misinterpreted a joke. They are after all responsible for their own behavior. 
    I’m saying that I’m not justifying the joke or the offense based on their ignorance or lack of intention. How is that contradictory? And how is an unintended action with a negative consequence not an offense? Negligence does have a consequence, legally.
    Correct me if I read your response incorrectly
  • Gorgonia
    Options
    Gorgonia said:
    As a member of the LBGT community, please speak for yourself. Vast majority I know don't give a damn about the word gay used as a nonsexual slur. Sorry but I have more important issues to worry about than someone using gay to mean stupid. Hell nearly all my friends in the community do as well. 
    On the other hand, many do. We probably live in different circumstances/societies/places. While many don’t care, many do.
  • Orion
    Options

@Gorgonia said:
    On the other hand, many do. We probably live in different circumstances/societies/places. While many don’t care, many do.

Indeed. Our point is that you shouldn't project that to the entire LGBT community.

• Gorgonia
    Options

@Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

Indeed. Our point is that you shouldn't project that to the entire LGBT community.

“While I never felt oppressed nor abused in any way because of my sexuality, the whole lgbtqxxx community has suffered greatly and some tend to be over sensitive when it comes to situations where being gay is used as an insult or as something derogatory or negative.”

Is that better now? Tbh, I never felt like I speak for the whole community, forgive my bad wording \o/

• Orion
    Options

@Gorgonia said:

@Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

“While I never felt oppressed nor abused in any way because of my sexuality, the whole lgbtqxxx community has suffered greatly and some tend to be over sensitive when it comes to situations where being gay is used as an insult or as something derogatory or negative.”

Is that better now? Tbh, I never felt like I speak for the whole community, forgive my bad wording \o/

Yes, that's better.

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Gorgonia said:
    Gorgonia said:
    Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

I’m saying that I’m not justifying the joke or the offense based on their ignorance or lack of intention. How is that contradictory? And how is an unintended action with a negative consequence not an offense? Negligence does have a consequence, legally.
    Im not talking legal term, and i haven't said there was no offense, there was no offense GIVEN. Huge distinction. If someone takes offense and reacts "badly", and the result is something unethical, then its all on the one who has taken the offense , in this case the gay. Saying that just because someone is LGBT he is not in control over his emotion is not only ridiculous but attacks their agency in return.

• Gorgonia
    Options

W> @ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

Im not talking legal term, and i haven't said there was no offense, there was no offense GIVEN. Huge distinction. If someone takes offense and reacts "badly", and the result is something unethical, then its all on the one who has taken the offense , in this case the gay. Saying that just because someone is LGBT he is not in control over his emotion is not only ridiculous but attacks their agency in return.

Okay, I think I know where the confusion is.

Someone feels offended by a joke and gets mad. Offender doesn’t know he is provoking this.
    I said I don’t justify the offender because of his negligence, I also said that instead of getting mad at them I would rather educate them.

• sadmuffins13
    Options
    Gorgonia said:

Gorgonia said:u

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

Someone feels offended by a joke and gets mad. Offender doesn’t know he is provoking this.
    I said I don’t justify the offender because of his negligence, I also said that instead of getting mad at them I would rather educate them.

Unfortunately some people dont want to be educated. They are close minded an ignorant. Until they go through a similiar situation it means nothing to them. People would rather provoke and get a rise out of somebody then actually talk. An i personally don't have time to waste on it. An what do you mean joke??? Because i dont see how its funny. Its more like someone is taking a word and turning it into a negative. A word people use to idetify themselves with. So now am i a stupid gay...? Hahaha no.... How about we educate these people by throwing them a dictionary?
  • ChesterTheMolester
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

Unfortunately some people dont want to be educated. They are close minded an ignorant. Until they go through a similiar situation it means nothing to them. People would rather provoke and get a rise out of somebody then actually talk. An i personally don't have time to waste on it. An what do you mean joke??? Because i dont see how its funny. Its more like someone is taking a word and turning it into a negative. A word people use to idetify themselves with. So now am i a stupid gay...? Hahaha no.... How about we educate these people by throwing them a dictionary?
    Another appeal to emotion here.
    And what i've said applies to you too, just because you don't think its funny does not mean they are close minded and ignorant, though im pretty sure you will assume it, which would speak more about your misanthropic mindset than it does about them.

And btw being ignorant is different from being an edge lord. 
  • George_Soros
    Options

@sadmuffins13 said:
    Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

And don't forget, "educate" sounds rather condescending. It suggests you assume you know better. What if the offender genuinely dislikes a certain type or group of people? Say, gay people, just to stick to the "homophobic" topic. It's quite common that straight people feel deeply disgusted by homosexual activities. Especially men kissing. (Which is gross btw).

How do you propose to "educate" them, considering that, one: it's more of an instinct based reaction, than a clearly articulated moral standpoint. Two: it's VERY difficult and indeed rude to assume, prior to any dialogue, that you know better than the other, that you have the moral high ground? (This question mostly goes to you, @Gorgonia )

There actually are valid arguments that support the view that, say, homosexuality is, to some extent, a morally questionable choice. A lot can be said AGAINST this view as well, and no one should force you to accept any of it. But trying to "educate" someone whose views you don't even know can only come across as smug and it probably kills any chance of reasonable dialogue.

• Gorgonia
    Options

How is educating condescending? Really? You educate customers, you educate people on certain topics, say drugs, safe sex practices. You educate people when you give information on a topic that is usually not discussed. It is not a matter of feeling you know better, it’s a matter of making information available to others whether they agree or not with the topic.

• sadmuffins13
    Options
    Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

And what i've said applies to you too, just because you don't think its funny does not mean they are close minded and ignorant, though im pretty sure you will assume it, which would speak more about your misanthropic mindset than it does about them.

Seriously trying to justify something that is wrong? If something bothers me i will speak up. Its not being sensitive its called speaking my mind. Ive delt with people like you. An im done entertaining you. 
  • Gorgonia
    Options

@sadmuffins13 said:
    ChesterTheMolester said:

sadmuffins13 said:

Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

Seriously trying to justify something that is wrong? If something bothers me i will speak up. Its not being sensitive its called speaking my mind. Ive delt with people like you. An im done entertaining you. 

No wrongs are justifiable. We can change the approach depending on the circumstance. You should never stop speaking your mind, that’s how changes happen. The way you speak your mind is what defines it all though. Some people do not understand reason and won’t stop being #########, some others never had the chance nor the challenge to change. I make war with the former (not literally). I sit down and share a coffee with the latter.

• George_Soros
    Options

@Gorgonia said:
    How is educating condescending? Really? You educate customers, you educate people on certain topics, say drugs, safe sex practices. You educate people when you give information on a topic that is usually not discussed. It is not a matter of feeling you know better, it’s a matter of making information available to others whether they agree or not with the topic.

But it definitely IS condescending, when it's about moral, religious or personal opinions. If you know a lot about astrology or Korean history and I don't, it's obviously not condescending, and no reason for me to feel insulted if you propose to educate me. However, everyone has some sort of view on the "human experience", life, morality, and so on. Again, suggesting to "educate" someone implies you claim to know better, without even bothering to ask why they feel the way they do. It is a dead end.

• ChesterTheMolester
    Options
    Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

Congratulations, you failed to read. 
    There is no thing as universal wrong when it comes to jokes, its highly context related, especially regarding who the audience of the joke is. And if you saw the thread in entirety then you'd know that i said that actual homophobic attacks should be banned so get out of here if you don't even know what the conversation you mixed yourself in is about.
  • Gorgonia
    Options

Who> @George_Soros said:

@Gorgonia said:

But it definitely IS condescending, when it's about moral, religious or personal opinions. If you know a lot about astrology or Korean history and I don't, it's obviously not condescending, and no reason for me to feel insulted if you propose to educate me. However, everyone has some sort of view on the "human experience", life, morality, and so on. Again, suggesting to "educate" someone implies you claim to know better, without even bothering to ask why they feel the way they do. It is a dead end.

Whoever said educating is about transmitting moral, religious or personal opinions? When you educate you provide information. Educating is not telling you to accept homosexuals because your belief is wrong, it is telling you that homosexuals are not the same as HIV, that babies adopted by homosexual parents don’t magically turn gay, that homosexuality is not a sickness nor a mental disease.

• sadmuffins13
    Options
    Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

There is no thing as universal wrong when it comes to jokes, its highly context related, especially regarding who the audience of the joke is. And if you saw the thread in entirety then you'd know that i said that actual homophobic attacks should be banned so get out of here if you don't even know what the conversation you mixed yourself in is about.
    I know what this thread is about. Read the comments. Saw something someone said and commented. Saying thats gay isnt a joke...  Maybe you should be the one leaving. Your always getting into arguemnts with people on here. Your toxic bro. 
  • ChesterTheMolester
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Gorgonia said:

Who> @George_Soros said:

@Gorgonia said:

Whoever said educating is about transmitting moral, religious or personal opinions? When you educate you provide information. Educating is not telling you to accept homosexuals because your belief is wrong, it is telling you that homosexuals are not the same as HIV, that babies adopted by homosexual parents don’t magically turn gay, that homosexuality is not a sickness nor a mental disease.

Here is the deal, no one believes any of this if no religion (or idiology, culture or any other believe system) is somewhere involved. 
    Most branches of christianity and virtually all of islam, for example oppose homosexuality dogmatically because of moral concerns, you may try to educate them but it honestly doesn't matter if they think you are apparenty literally Aids like say Ronny Boi Reagan did. And if you try to any further you inevitably touch the territory of general faith and experience, where what @George_Soros says applies.
  • sadmuffins13
    Options

@sadmuffins13 said:
    Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

And don't forget, "educate" sounds rather condescending. It suggests you assume you know better. What if the offender genuinely dislikes a certain type or group of people? Say, gay people, just to stick to the "homophobic" topic. It's quite common that straight people feel deeply disgusted by homosexual activities. Especially men kissing. (Which is gross btw).

How do you propose to "educate" them, considering that, one: it's more of an instinct based reaction, than a clearly articulated moral standpoint. Two: it's VERY difficult and indeed rude to assume, prior to any dialogue, that you know better than the other, that you have the moral high ground? (This question mostly goes to you, @Gorgonia )

There actually are valid arguments that support the view that, say, homosexuality is, to some extent, a morally questionable choice. A lot can be said AGAINST this view as well, and no one should force you to accept any of it. But trying to "educate" someone whose views you don't even know can only come across as smug and it probably kills any chance of reasonable dialogue.

You could have said your peace without saying two men kissing is gross... I could say the same about a man and women kissing since it does not appeal to me. Coming across as smug lol. I never force what i believe on to someone. Like i said to the other guys ..its his life. But if someone is gonna express their opinon so will i. 
  • lasombra1979
    Options

@sadmuffins13 said:
    ChesterTheMolester said:

sadmuffins13 said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

sadmuffins13 said:

Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

I know what this thread is about. Read the comments. Saw something someone said and commented. Saying thats gay isnt a joke...  Maybe you should be the one leaving. Your always getting into arguemnts with people on here. Your toxic bro. 

Guess what, to many people, including a good amount in the LGBT+ community, "that's gay" is a joke. They take it as a joke. They do not get offended by the joke.

@ChesterTheMolester is one of the less toxic members of this forum. The fact you call him toxic because he does not agree with your point of view is bad form. Your....I mean you're way off base attacking him.

• ChesterTheMolester
    Options
    Gorgonia said:

ChesterTheMolester said:

Gorgonia said:

Orion said:

@Gorgonia said:

Gay can be the punchline of a joke, its all up to context and the nature of the joke itself (which does not necessarily have any negative connotations), your perspective does not change what the joke was objectively. 

Im not having arguments all the time btw, most are just conversations.
    And if getting into arguments is what makes me toxic, you should have a look at track record of @Orion btw.