How are you supposed to counter 3 second chance perks back-to-back?

Options

I still don't want to play killer anymore, I've stopped a few months ago, but unfortunately, the tomes rarely have a path that allow you to progress through its levels purely playing survivor, so I played some killer games again, and got a taste of why I stopped in the first place.

I had a Dwight on the hook during endgame collapse. He got unhooked by the survivor I knew had borrowed time, so I countered by waiting 20 seconds to hit Dwight, the gate was far enough away for that. When BT ran out, he used DH in the gate, since I positioned myself ahead of him, he dead-harded away from the entity spikes, allowing me to down him and pick him up before he could reach the escape threshold. He then used DS and escaped.

What should I have done here? They told me afterwards that with the right counters, their perks are perfectly fine. What counters are there? This was the epitome of "#########, I screwed, but let's press this button to reverse my mistake, so the killer can't win".

He was unhooked unsafely --> Borrowed Time fixed that.

I waited out his Borrowed Time --> Dead Hard fixed that.

I screwed up his Dead Hard --> Decisive Strike fixed that.

I got 3 second chance perks shoved in my face back-to-back and some people still defend this bullshit as being fair? I did everything right here and I was still punished for it. This stuff leaves an extremely sour aftertaste. I don't feel outplayed or outmatched in skill when the survivor skill is basically: press a button to fix your mistakes.

Comments

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 976
    Options

I see. They have second chance perks, so I'm not allowed to kill them.

Sorry, but that is what it boils down to and that is not ok.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980
    Options

Should've used Blood Warden.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567
    Options

During endgame with multiple survivors still alive it can be very difficult against a well coordinated team.

Dead hard: bait it out, or get close, wait a bit and hit (not lunge)

During game: don't chase the unhooked guy: you counter BT and DS. If the unhooked guy wants a hit because of BT then hit them and continue chasing the unhooker. You counter DS and the unhooked survivor will have to spend 15 seconds mending.

• Krimbar
    Krimbar Member Posts: 200
    Options

It's called "second chance" for a reason, you're not supposed to "counter" these perks

• Alionis
    Options

Ok. Which part of my post did you not read? He screwed up the dead hard, I downed him and picked him up because of that. Then there was DS.

• Alionis
    Options

Does that make them fair though? Because I keep hearing that argument, that they are fair, because they have counters. Obviously, in a scenario like mine, they do not, because there's always yet another second chance perk that will negate an unsuccessful use of the previous one.

• Krimbar
    Krimbar Member Posts: 200
    edited February 2022
    Options

I think they create more unfair scenarios than fair ones, but they seem necessary since without them there would be equally unfair scenarios.

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890
    Options

Ignore the majority of the killers in here. Anyone who says you cannot counter those perks is a baby killer and has no idea what they are talking about and their opinion is invalid.

Your first step to countering them begins at the killer selection screen. The survivor meta is far beyond the majority of the killer roster at this point, so leave playing the weaker characters to the chumps. SBMM doesn't allow for it anymore unless you like getting dumped on by perks instead of skill.

Second, anyone with a 1 shot can counter all three of those perks. BT/DS are useless if the survivors cannot make the unhook. Dead hard doesn't work on an instadown. Any 1 shot killer is a god tier camper and can easily secure kills without having to deal with the second chance chain so they are instantly at the top of the meta.

Third, there are a handful of characters strong enough to just plow through all the second chance perks. As Nurse and Blight I will eat DS for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and usually don't hesitate for a second to pick up a recently hooked survivor.

Fourth, there is a character called Pyramid Head in the game. He is the ultimate tunneling machine and farming people coming out of the cages brings the salt like no other since you can get multiple hooks in a row with impunity.

Fifth, there are some quite cheesy builds you can run that negate the meta. It's too many to list but they are out there.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    Options

I feel for you. If all 3 are there it can be hard to hit the unhooker. This is the particular reason i think DS should be canned during EG. You got punished for not tunneling the survivor earlier resulting in him having it at end.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

This is not a counter. Hitting a survivor gives them a sprint burst that will reach the exit gate.

Coordinated end game saves have legitimately no counterplay for most killers, unlike the dribble parroted about Deathslinger.

• emetSdidnothingwrong
    Options

You aren't, they don't balance the game around you stacking second chance perks, I am pretty sure they balance the game around vanilla for survivors and gen slow down perks for killers.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,106
    Options

End game BS like this is why killers are tunneling and camping more and more these days. It's easier and less frustrating to deal with the survivor meta when you tunnel and camp from the start and why Bubba is popular. You can't play nice and spread out hooks and hope to do well in endgame.

• Alionis
    Options

Look, your argument boils down to ignoring survivors because they either have or might have second chance perks. That is not a solution. DS got all of its deactivation condition precisely because the devs didn't want it to be such a perk: "ignore me for 60 seconds or get stabbed"

Wouldacouldashoulda doesn't help me or anyone in this situation. In situation, there was zero counter to anything, because each counter was countered itself by yet another perk and I don't see why that should be my fault in any capacity.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. It happens in all walks of life. According to the meta, the Dwight earned that win. Right now that's just the way it is.

• Alionis
    Options

I appreciate the feedback, but that isn't a solution to me, that's a bandaid for a problem that shouldn't exist. I own all killers, I don't feel like restricting myself to just Nurse or Blight because the meta is broken.

• Alionis
    Options

And people still wonder why killers don't want to play anymore.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

No. People don't wonder. We know exactly why the population is falling off. But you asked what you should do in that situation, and the only correct courses of action are to challenge the existence of DS (Which you did), or to target the unhooker and hope they don't have enough body blocks + Dead hard to get them out of the gate. It's a reality stacked against you even if you play your absolute best under both paths.

• Alionis
    Options

Look, if you're going to join in, at least make the basic effort of reading the original post. They didn't coordinate #########, that was all Dwight by himself.

• Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033
    Options

Slug em, slug em all. Seriously though slugging beats out hook camping and tilts survivors beyond belief. Just down one survivor, then stand over them. Hit everyone who comes near. If they pick up just down them again. If they unbreakable just down them again as it's one time only.

Most survivors like running Dead hard, ds, iron will, and BT. Few actually run unbreakable and even fewer run unbreakable- + soul guard. If you leave them slugged they never get to use their bt and ds and it pisses them off cause they don't get to play at all. Is it boring? Yeah. But there's very little counters for slugging unless they have no mither. Which, let's be honest here 😂

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
  • Alionis
    Options

I'm not looking for an echo chamber. I'm looking for a reliable answer to my problem. You did give me an answer, but as far as I'm concerned, your answer is not the solution I'm looking for.

I did exactly what killers have been told to do in such situations for years: wait out borrowed time, bait out dead hard. The survivor screwed up twice, but instead of being allowed to capitalize on those mistakes, I was denied any progress to my objective because of yet another perk that fixes survivor mistakes.

I could have gone for someone else yes, but as I said before, that's giving them a free pass because they equipped a specific perk. That's not a solution to me and never will be. If you disagree with that, that's fine, we're both entitled to our respective opinions.

• Alionis
    Options

I went for a grab and got hit-cancelled, is that my fault too now, or what?

• Alionis
    Options

Exactly. I played nice and didn't tunnel and got punished for it in the endgame.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

In which case you got burned by latency. Though that begs the question why not simple down and hook the rescuer.

• RakimSockem
    Options

that was literally my suggestion but it apparently wasn't the suggestion they wanted

• Huge_Bush
    Options

Against solo potatoes who don't know how to do gens, you are correct. Against coordinated survivors who know how to do gens and know how to actually loop or even shift + W and pre-drop pallets, you are incorrect unless you're playing Nurse or Blight, and even then it's a struggle.

You and many other players just like to call killers bad in order to shame them from using those tactics whereas survivors are legendary players for crutching on 4 second chance perks and maps that are designed to give them an advantage over the killer.

Killers who tunnel and camp are not bad, its the survivors who fall due to those tactics that are bad. If the killer was really bad, the survivor should have no trouble distracting the killer long enough for the gens to pop, especially these days, with how 3 gens usually pop before a killer gets their first down.

• RakimSockem
    Options

Why do people here always paint survivors into 2 categories? It's always "4 potato solos" or "4 man coordinated swat team SWF". In the meantime, there are teams of solo players who can outplay you just as well andI'd bet 90% of SWFs are actually potatoes. This weird binary yall have in yall head of "Team is good = coordinated SWF. Team is bad = potato solos" is weird

• thrawn3054
    Options

I don't care what tactics they use. Tunneling and camping is lazy and used by bad killers. Will good killers use those tactics? Sure, but it's not their default. As for survivors DH is for lazy survivors who don't want to get better. The other meta perks exist solely to counter scummy tactics.

• Huge_Bush
    edited February 2022
    Options

Doesn't matter if you care or not, if you fall due to the killers using those tactics, you're just as bad if not worse than the killers you're disparaging. And there is nothing bad or lazy about choosing the easiest path or making the smartest choice. It's actually bad, in regards to this game, to make the game more difficult for oneself by choosing the more difficult path. Actually, it's stupid.

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890
    Options

Well that's just the way it is. It's not a good answer, but it is the only answer. BHVR will never solve it, I have offered you the solution that works today. The weaker characters cannot deal with a 4-5 minute game where the survivors are handed a plethora of extra lives to go onto their default 3. It just doesn't work if the players are of somewhat equal skill.

Pyramid Head is probably your best bet if you don't like Nurse or Blight. The things you can do with him are downright filthy once you start to learn cage spawns. You can proxy camp cheese the cages, then relocate the cage to the other side of the map if the survivors congregate to rush it. You can tunnel tormented people straight off the hook and hitting BT is actually an advantage so they cannot locker DS you.

He is one of the few killers who can just roam around murdering people without having to worry about arbitrary perk timers.

• KolbyKolbyKolby
    KolbyKolbyKolby Member Posts: 606
    Options

Kill them before the gates are powered, and they can't be so strong on the way out.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

Honestly all you can do is try and get rid of DS by eating it earlier in the match, which means tunneling each survivor at least to 2nd hook state, one after the other since there's no way to tell if they have it until it's used.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,175
    Options

This is why i eat their DS during the game itself. DS shouldnt activate in the end game anymore in my opinion.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    edited February 2022
    Options

Wait till borrowed time, bait dead hard and finally eat the ######### decisive strike and catch up, kill him, tunnel him out to death.

In other word, just play killers who can ignore DS... killers like blight, clown and nurse.

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426
    edited February 2022
    Options

Winning is not BS. Each side has strategies that make up for their weaknesses. You're just whining because killers are actually smarter than you and outplay you at your own game everytime they know to counter your uncounterable triple stack of 2nd chance perks by tunneling the hell out of you before you'd ever get your chance to deploy them in endgame, where they are so powerful & where you'd be pretending that's because you're totally outplaying them there instead.

If you can't win without a psyops campaign challenging the abstract inherent worth of a win... well, you are complexly bad....

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,536
    Options

technically there's a precise counter for this, but it's unfun for both sides... tunnel to death the 1st guy that you see (unless he's a good looper). this is a soft counter btw cause they can always use their perks without a proper counterplay, but dealing with only 3 people in the endgame it's a lot more easier than defending a hook aganist a full premade with meta perks... i hate this kind of situations, but they won't leave you much choices. You can always try to deal with them with a endgame build, but this can work only if survivors want to have a 4 escape at all costs

• drakolyr
    drakolyr Member Posts: 322
    Options

I didnt got the information how you got there.

You didnt mentioned your killer.

I'm honest, when endgame happens and you think its unfair that you dont get the kill, maybe you should have done better in the match?

Being tunneled out isnt fun either (or in my opinion fair) and for anti tunneling you got these perks. That most say that they tunnel because of that... i dont believe you.

You shouldnt look just at the worst situation, you should look at the match as a whole.

• thrawn3054
    Options

Uhh I didn't say winning was bs? How am I whining? I stated my opinion, nothing more. Further they can't "outplay" my triple stack of perks that I don't use.