The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

My Ideas for a Freddy Buff!

Hobolobo27
Hobolobo27 Member Posts: 26
edited June 2018 in General Discussions

I have a couple ideas for buffing Freddy's power that I would like to share. I think it would be really cool if survivors see phantasms of Freddy and illusions of pallets that have been destroyed similar to the Doctor or Hag when they are in the dream world.
The phantasms would only appear to survivors who are outside of Freddy's terror radius while asleep and the frequency or number of them appearing at a time would be judged by new add-on's for Freddy. These phantasms produce their own terror radius and actually home in on the nearest survivor it spawns by as if it was the actual killer player and swing at the survivor seeing it, only to disappear into a cloud of ash before it would actually do any damage. The auras of the phantasms can also be visible to Freddy with an add-on effect. The phantasms disappear immediately if the real Freddy's terror radius comes within range of a survivor in the dream world. If pallet stunned or blinded by a flashlight, the phantasm disappears before attempting to swing at the survivor.

I also think that the dream transition time should be reduced by 0.5 seconds for each generator done in the match. These changes would not only make Freddy a high tier killer, but would also make his power much more consistent with how it works in the movies since he is all about tormenting his victims with illusions before delivering the killing blow.

Please feel free to share this idea with friends, forums, the devs, etc but please remember to credit the idea as being mine if you do!

Comments

• Mercury
    Mercury Member Posts: 326

Hey, I think the illusion idea sounds great, but probably won't be implemented. It would require the devs to create some sort of AI and as far as we know, they didn't intend to do such a thing. Another question would be: Since the phantoms don't do anything like they can't hurt you, wouldn't survivors simply ignore them? A lot of survivors don't fear Freddy at all, so they probably would be left unimpressed and keep doing what they're doing. Especially if the real Freddy gets close and the illusion vanishes. :ohnoes:

I had some different ideas for Freddy too, maybe you'd like them. I always felt like there is a lack of actually being scared of falling asleep. Especially since Quentin is there and he knows how terrifying Freddy can be. With Quentin being there we can also dive deeper into the movie's lore and digg up different stages of dreaming. Quentin would be the expert at the campfire, telling the others what exactly they need to do to survive. I would like to suggest three stages instead of two for the survivors.

Stage one is simply being awake. You would start off like this normaly as in every other round, only hearing Freddy's lullaby. Once he tagged you after a transition of four seconds you'd enter the second stage. Alright here is the first thing though. People don't like that you have to wait as Freddy to hit someone, so I would almost suggest, that people start off in the second stage, not even realizing they are dreaming, yet.

Stage two is microsleep. If you remember the movies you can clearly recall the supermarket scene. Freddy interfering with the real world, shredding through the shelf and even hurting Nancy. This would be the stage we have right now for dreaming survivors. Freddy can hurt and touch them. However he can't see them outside of his terror radius. (I never like this feature, I have a different idea instead. But later on~) Their action speed is halved and a skillcheck failure would return them to stage one. Even though they return to stage one, they keep a debuff, causing them to fall asleep again after twenty seconds. If another survivor wakes them up, they return to stage one with the debuff but it takes fourty seconds to fall asleep again. So self sustaining can only get you so far. A survivor that wakes themselves for two times in a row and falls back asleep gets an extra debuff, exposing them to Freddy in the dream world.

Stage three, the deep sleep. The most feared stage. After a survivor has been asleep for at least fifteen seconds and has not woken up, Freddy can pull them further into the dream. They transtition from microsleep to deep sleep. In this stage they are seperated from their body, as it lies on the ground, sleeping. I'll split it here to explain what Freddy and the survivor can do at this point.

To be honest I don't really know what Freddy's power in the deep sleep should be, so I am open to suggestions. I have ideas, but they might be too harsh. :)

For the survivor: The survivor awakens in the third stage, cut off from his other teammates. They don't see anyone and objects appear differently like chests, totems, hooks or generators swap their models or such. In this stage they essentially have to 'realize' they are dreaming and they have to find the exit. Realizing they're dreaming can be achieved by investigating the different objects. After a sort of action like cleansing or something, the item is shown as what it really is and they slowly realize they're dreaming. The number of times this has to be done can be discussed further. Once they've realized they are dreaming, they have to return to their body and wake themselves up, which could take about 12 seconds. This can be sped up with another survivor beside your body, waking you up in half the amount of time. Also a survivor in deep sleep can be woken up with a medkit without them having to realize they are dreaming. This depletes the medkit. I imagined there would be some adrenaline in there, so please tell me if you like or dislike this idea. The other survivor would inject them with adrenaline, causing them to wake up and return them to stage one, like the normal wake up action would.

I imagine they won#t go with this idea, since it would probably be too much work but hey- I can hope, right?
    Get it? Hope? ...nah, I'll shut up~

• Hobolobo27
    Mercury said:

Hey, I think the illusion idea sounds great, but probably won't be implemented. It would require the devs to create some sort of AI and as far as we know, they didn't intend to do such a thing. Another question would be: Since the phantoms don't do anything like they can't hurt you, wouldn't survivors simply ignore them? A lot of survivors don't fear Freddy at all, so they probably would be left unimpressed and keep doing what they're doing. Especially if the real Freddy gets close and the illusion vanishes. :ohnoes:

I had some different ideas for Freddy too, maybe you'd like them. I always felt like there is a lack of actually being scared of falling asleep. Especially since Quentin is there and he knows how terrifying Freddy can be. With Quentin being there we can also dive deeper into the movie's lore and digg up different stages of dreaming. Quentin would be the expert at the campfire, telling the others what exactly they need to do to survive. I would like to suggest three stages instead of two for the survivors.

Stage one is simply being awake. You would start off like this normaly as in every other round, only hearing Freddy's lullaby. Once he tagged you after a transition of four seconds you'd enter the second stage. Alright here is the first thing though. People don't like that you have to wait as Freddy to hit someone, so I would almost suggest, that people start off in the second stage, not even realizing they are dreaming, yet.

Stage two is microsleep. If you remember the movies you can clearly recall the supermarket scene. Freddy interfering with the real world, shredding through the shelf and even hurting Nancy. This would be the stage we have right now for dreaming survivors. Freddy can hurt and touch them. However he can't see them outside of his terror radius. (I never like this feature, I have a different idea instead. But later on~) Their action speed is halved and a skillcheck failure would return them to stage one. Even though they return to stage one, they keep a debuff, causing them to fall asleep again after twenty seconds. If another survivor wakes them up, they return to stage one with the debuff but it takes fourty seconds to fall asleep again. So self sustaining can only get you so far. A survivor that wakes themselves for two times in a row and falls back asleep gets an extra debuff, exposing them to Freddy in the dream world.

Stage three, the deep sleep. The most feared stage. After a survivor has been asleep for at least fifteen seconds and has not woken up, Freddy can pull them further into the dream. They transtition from microsleep to deep sleep. In this stage they are seperated from their body, as it lies on the ground, sleeping. I'll split it here to explain what Freddy and the survivor can do at this point.

To be honest I don't really know what Freddy's power in the deep sleep should be, so I am open to suggestions. I have ideas, but they might be too harsh. :)

For the survivor: The survivor awakens in the third stage, cut off from his other teammates. They don't see anyone and objects appear differently like chests, totems, hooks or generators swap their models or such. In this stage they essentially have to 'realize' they are dreaming and they have to find the exit. Realizing they're dreaming can be achieved by investigating the different objects. After a sort of action like cleansing or something, the item is shown as what it really is and they slowly realize they're dreaming. The number of times this has to be done can be discussed further. Once they've realized they are dreaming, they have to return to their body and wake themselves up, which could take about 12 seconds. This can be sped up with another survivor beside your body, waking you up in half the amount of time. Also a survivor in deep sleep can be woken up with a medkit without them having to realize they are dreaming. This depletes the medkit. I imagined there would be some adrenaline in there, so please tell me if you like or dislike this idea. The other survivor would inject them with adrenaline, causing them to wake up and return them to stage one, like the normal wake up action would.

I imagine they won#t go with this idea, since it would probably be too much work but hey- I can hope, right?

It is a cool idea. It's also really complex though. I'm not sure survivors or the person playing as Freddy would be able to keep up with what's happening. Either way, it would be nice to see Freddy get reworked in a way that makes him a top tier killer. I think reducing the dream transition time by 0.5 seconds for each gen done in the match would be a good place to start.

• No_Cluie_Louis
    No_Cluie_Louis Member Posts: 1,093

@Hobolobo27 said:
    I have a couple ideas for buffing Freddy's power that I would like to share. I think it would be really cool if survivors see phantasms of Freddy and illusions of pallets that have been destroyed similar to the Doctor or Hag when they are in the dream world.
    The phantasms would only appear to survivors who are outside of Freddy's terror radius while asleep and the frequency or number of them appearing at a time would be judged by new add-on's for Freddy. These phantasms produce their own terror radius and actually home in on the nearest survivor it spawns by as if it was the actual killer player and swing at the survivor seeing it, only to disappear into a cloud of ash before it would actually do any damage. The auras of the phantasms can also be visible to Freddy with an add-on effect. The phantasms disappear immediately if the real Freddy's terror radius comes within range of a survivor in the dream world. If pallet stunned or blinded by a flashlight, the phantasm disappears before attempting to swing at the survivor.

I also think that the dream transition time should be reduced by 0.5 seconds for each generator done in the match. These changes would not only make Freddy a high tier killer, but would also make his power much more consistent with how it works in the movies since he is all about tormenting his victims with illusions before delivering the killing blow.

Please feel free to share this idea with friends, forums, the devs, etc but please remember to credit the idea as being mine if you do!

You evidently haven't thought this through as Freddy can see survivors out his terror radius, so what good is seeing an illusion near them as well. Pallet illusions wouldn't make much sense either. Firstly you might as well make doctor and Freddy the same killer which is boring and pointless. Secondly it wouldn't make sense for Freddy's power to do that. Also it would very difficult for the devs to make a moving AI and it would be extremely obvious it wasn't the real Freddy. The perfect Buff for Freddy would be you can't interact with anything in the dream world other than pallets and vaults (this means you can't fail skill checks to wake up) instead you would have to find a teammate or they could add an option where you can stab yourself if you're fully healed, but it would leave you injured until healed again. As well as this they could make it so you can't leave the trial while you're asleep as the gates a block off by entity spikes.

• Hobolobo27

@No_Cluie_Louis said:

@Hobolobo27 said:

You evidently haven't thought this through as Freddy can see survivors out his terror radius, so what good is seeing an illusion near them as well. Pallet illusions wouldn't make much sense either. Firstly you might as well make doctor and Freddy the same killer which is boring and pointless. Secondly it wouldn't make sense for Freddy's power to do that. Also it would very difficult for the devs to make a moving AI and it would be extremely obvious it wasn't the real Freddy. The perfect Buff for Freddy would be you can't interact with anything in the dream world other than pallets and vaults (this means you can't fail skill checks to wake up) instead you would have to find a teammate or they could add an option where you can stab yourself if you're fully healed, but it would leave you injured until healed again. As well as this they could make it so you can't leave the trial while you're asleep as the gates a block off by entity spikes.

Cool. I'm honestly starting to burn out on this game because of the balancing issues and I'm just tired of hearing both sides complain about how the other is too OP. The devs seem to be struggling to find solutions for older killers to be more viable than the latest ones being released and even that isn't saying much, seeing as how the Clown is already being labeled mid-tier.

• SharpHandJoe
    SharpHandJoe Member Posts: 18

I wouldn't mind just a simple terror radius reduction. Or the slightly reduced chance to get skill checks in the dream world addon being applied by default and having the values buffed on the others.

• JEWberry
    JEWberry Member Posts: 78
    edited June 2018

Freddy Needs:

• Terror Radius Reduction
    • Less Wake-Up interactions(Self-Care doesn't wake you up)
    • Shorter Dream Transition Time
    • Putting Someone in Dream Transition interrupts their current action
    • Freddy can't get blinded by someone that is not in the Dream World(Not Needed, just something cool that could be nice for Freddy)

These changes imo would make Freddy tremendously better. I don't see the devs reworking Freddy's entire ability as that is a lot of work and is almost like coming up with an entirely different killer.

However, killers in general need buffs to combat the strength of survivors. These could be: Nerfing meta survivor perks, fixing pallet looping/map structure, and buffing the mid-low tier killers that need it(Trapper, Wraith, Freddy, Pig, and Hag).

The Devs did nerf pallet looping a little, but it is still a problem for most m1 killers that are forced to go through the loop and are punished for it. I hope more balance changes come soon as i am really hoping that the devs try new things and experiment in the ptb to see if it is really a good choice. Utilizing the PTB to test balance changes that they are unsure of is a step in the right direction and hopefully they continue this to make DBD a more fun game for both sides.

• Mercury

@JEWberry said:
    Freddy Needs:

• Freddy can't get blinded by someone that is not in the Dream World(Not Needed, just something cool that could be nice for Freddy)

These changes imo would make Freddy tremendously better. I don't see the devs reworking Freddy's entire ability as that is a lot of work and is almost like coming up with an entirely different killer.

However, killers in general need buffs to combat the strength of survivors. These could be: Nerfing meta survivor perks, fixing pallet looping/map structure, and buffing the mid-low tier killers that need it(Trapper, Wraith, Freddy, Pig, and Hag).

The Devs did nerf pallet looping a little, but it is still a problem for most m1 killers that are forced to go through the loop and are punished for it. I hope more balance changes come soon as i am really hoping that the devs try new things and experiment in the ptb to see if it is really a good choice. Utilizing the PTB to test balance changes that they are unsure of is a step in the right direction and hopefully they continue this to make DBD a more fun game for both sides.

I dislike the idea of giving him less terror radius to make his aura reading more powerful. I simply don't like that about Freddy. I mean, we can give him less terror radius, but take away the aura reading. Instead we could go with something like: When you have been asleep for twenty five seconds without succesfully waking up you are exposed.
    I'd see that as you fall deeper in his realm you are in even more danger and exposed to Freddy himself.

• Hobolobo27

@Mercury said:

@JEWberry said:
    Freddy Needs:

I dislike the idea of giving him less terror radius to make his aura reading more powerful. I simply don't like that about Freddy. I mean, we can give him less terror radius, but take away the aura reading. Instead we could go with something like: When you have been asleep for twenty five seconds without succesfully waking up you are exposed.
    I'd see that as you fall deeper in his realm you are in even more danger and exposed to Freddy himself.

You know people can already greatly reduce his terror radius with either an ultra add-on he has or Monitor and Abuse right?

• JEWberry

@Mercury said:

I mean then freddy could just backride u for 25 seconds and just smack u down. I don't see that as a great thing to add, especially if u have 3 or more people in the dream world. I always thought of his aura reading as a way to switch targets or keep map awareness so that when u have multiple people in the Dream World, u have a lot more options as to who to chase, who to switch a chase to, who to slug when necessary, and where people are doing gens. It just gives so many options that it is a very neat aspect of his ability that i believe should stay. If he gets the exposed feature, i feel like a wraith with make your choice would do exactly the same thing no offense.

• JEWberry

@Hobolobo27 said:
    You know people can already greatly reduce his terror radius with either an ultra add-on he has or Monitor and Abuse right?

Yes i do know(idk if you were talking to me) but in the nerf patch 1.8.1 they increased his terror radius from 16 to 24 meters. I feel that it should be reduced by 4 meters so that it is at 20. It is mostly so i don't have to run m&a or the addon in order to effectively track people. However, if they remove self-care from the wake up list, this won't be needed as much due to the fact that they will run far looking for a gen to wake up or just heal through the 50% action speed reduction. I want the devs to capitalize on Freddy's map awareness and tracking abilities to make him a more technical killer rather than offensive like huntress, billy, leatherface, and nurse.

• FayeZahara
    FayeZahara Member Posts: 965
    They need to really explore nightmares better cause him following and slashing ain't really freddy. Freddy would turn closets into traps where his giant claw comes out. He would change hooked survivors to him on hook. Maybe if they make him be able to set nightmare traps before he brings people into dream realm he could play better. Freddy doesn't feel freddy and is underwhelming as ruler of nightmares.
  • Mercury

@Jack11803 said:
    The only buff Freddy needs.

He would have a huge lunge. xD

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930

@Mercury said:

@Jack11803 said:
    The only buff Freddy needs.

He would have a huge lunge. xD

May even help him reach his noose easier after his run in with a P3 Squadette

• Hobolobo27

I like all these potential ideas much better than what Freddy is right now. Being able to set dream traps than have unique and spontaneous effects on survivors who cross them while in the dream world would be awesome! Letting him stretch out his arm into a long ranged attack that could still be dodged by survivors if they move at the right time would also be a much desired change. I'm not sure the devs would go so far to rework a killer like that though; regardless if they were a licensed character or not. It would take an insane amount of time and work to do and they would basically be making a new killer altogether. Hopefully killers like Freddy, Hag, and Wraith get some love at some point down the road because they seem to be considered low tier killers by the majority of the player-base.

• christtrash
    christtrash Member Posts: 5
    I think he just needs blood warden built in to his dream ability. Like you cant leave if you are asleep unless you wake up or get the hatch. Some people may find this to be broken or overpowered but, the pig's ability literally kills you if you try to escape while it is active? And you can always find a way to wake up if there is more than one person left or use self care if you are the last one. Or just find the hatch. So it's not like it would be impossible to get out with this.
  • Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998
    edited June 2018

I personally want to see Freddy get an inverted terror radius when the survivor is in the dream world. Not only would it make his power actually unique, but it would make him stronger in chases too. He currently feels like he's just a base killer with a smaller terror radius and a mini huntress song, except worse.

Imagine:
    With no terror radius within 24/32m of him, it would warn the survivor he's near but in an uneasy way. Freddy would also get wall hacks to help mind-game during chases. Sure, survivors can still loop him hard if they see him, but the challenge would be in breaking off chases to catch them off guard without going too far and losing sight of the survivor entirely.

Since his terror radius would appear when the survivor is over 24/32m away, terror radius-related perks would also be amazing on him.

He'd definitely be more unique then, and probably stronger without having to give him a complete overhaul.

• Hobolobo27

@Beaburd said:
    I personally want to see Freddy get an inverted terror radius when the survivor is in the dream world. Not only would it make his power actually unique, but it would make him stronger in chases too. He currently feels like he's just a base killer with a smaller terror radius and a mini huntress song, except worse.

Imagine:
    With no terror radius within 24/32m of him, it would warn the survivor he's near but in an uneasy way. Freddy would also get wall hacks to help mind-game during chases. Sure, survivors can still loop him hard if they see him, but the challenge would be in breaking off chases to catch them off guard without going too far and losing sight of the survivor entirely.

Since his terror radius would appear when the survivor is over 24/32m away, terror radius-related perks would also be amazing on him.

He'd definitely be more unique then, and probably stronger without having to give him a complete overhaul.

It's an interesting idea but it kind of sounds like his terror radius and tracking abilities would basically just be the opposite of what they are now. I think seasoned survivors would be able to counter these changes fairly easily though plus, like you said, survivors could still loop him which is frustrating because he's Freddy frickin' Krueger and other killers like Hag, Pig, Clown, Doctor, Huntress, Nurse, Hillbilly (sort of), and Trapper all have ways to counter looping if you use their powers effectively. I think Nurse and Billy are the most powerful killers in the game because of their ability to cover a lot of ground in the map really quickly regardless of windows or pallets. It would be nice to see Freddy and Wraith get an addition to their powers that can somehow punish survivors for pallet looping if they rely on one specific loop for too long besides Bloodlust because we all know Bloodlust takes way too ######### long to trigger and only lasts for 3 seconds if you lose sight of your target.

• steven
    steven Member Posts: 3

i dont know i play as him the most and i always get 3 kills or 4 kills

• Dabrownman1812
    Dabrownman1812 Member Posts: 1,857
    Mercury said:

@JEWberry said:
    Freddy Needs:

He was weak when he came out with a small radius, he is still weak. He's a tracking killer, supposed to be hard to hide from but weak in chase.
  • iceman2kx
    iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

I love Freddy, he's my favorite killer by far. He has such a trolly play style. IMHO the only buff he needs is to make it more difficult for survivors to get out of dream state. I noticed on games where survivors are spread out, they can just run to each other to wake each other up or continue to work on gen's for skill checks while you run around like an idiot trying to put them to sleep.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    Mercury said:

This idea would be dope AF
  • Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    iceman2kx said:

I love Freddy, he's my favorite killer by far. He has such a trolly play style. IMHO the only buff he needs is to make it more difficult for survivors to get out of dream state. I noticed on games where survivors are spread out, they can just run to each other to wake each other up or continue to work on gen's for skill checks while you run around like an idiot trying to put them to sleep.

He has nothing for the chase and his power can be easily abused by survivors...this is why Freddy needs a buff.. if you're going to have a killer that has to wait to hit their prey that killer should be strong not weak AF