Chat Censorship is Utterly Insane

Options
enormous_bruh_moment
enormous_bruh_moment Member Posts: 136
edited February 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

Seriously what the hell is this?

Any day now the list of ######### you can say is going to be shorter than the list of stuff you can.

It now currently censors the word "but"

It was bad enough that they already censored 90% of the terms and actions in the game itself, from those that you viscerally inflict on others, to the names of characters and perks.

Where is the explanation or justification for this??? ######### is this bullshit and who the hell do you think this is helping? Is your game not rated M? As in, literally only adults can purchase it?

Why then do you still insist on treating us as people so inferior that they could never hope to manage their own emotions? Like we need you to babyproof the chat for us? This goes far beyond anything remotely resembling curse words or "hateful" speech. This is utterly insane.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 368
    Options

Yeah I'm all for having the chat filter as an optional thing. Keep it on by default but at least let me turn it off since it'll censor half a sentence for no reason at all, just because it didn't like a very specific set of words used in a particular way that aren't even swears or derogatory, just normal words getting bleeped for some reason.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

My favorite aspect of the chat filter is when you say a word, and it is censored, but another player says it and it is not:

Dave: Yep, that's ##### for you.

Dave: What? #####.

Dave: This makes no sense. #####.

Susan: Are you trying to say Myers?

Dave: Oh, #### off, chat filter.

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,408
    Options

With how strong the censor is they may as well scrap the entire post game chat entirely.

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,408
    Options

Almost as if any form of trash talk is crime these days...

• enormous_bruh_moment
    Options

Sticks and stones.

I'm sure there is some tiny fringe minority of players that are extremely vocal about complaining when anyone says or does anything that remotely offends them, but the correct response is to tell those people to gtfo the internet if they can't handle something as powerless as words.

The overwhelming majority seems to hate this bullshit. Literally every single person I've asked about it in game, irl, and even here on the forums.

No one wants it to be this way. Everyone thinks it's stupid and terrible.

Why is this not at least a filter you can disable if you choose? It makes no sense.

The only explanation I can think of is that Canada as a nation doesn't seem to believe in freedom, and that maybe they have some atrocious legislation that BHVR is forced to be in compliance with? But no one I've asked knows if that would be so, idk.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

Yeah it is insanely frustrating, though nothing good usually comes from opening chat anyway, it can be very frustrating trying to communicate as so many words are inexplicably verboten. I wish it was optional as I am a big kid now and I can handle naughty words and don't need censorship to protect hurt feelings.

• JonahsTablet
    JonahsTablet Member Posts: 762
    Options

It really brings me back to when I used to play Roblox.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

Chat censorship doesnt work, it just filters words at random.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 935
    edited February 2022
    Options

This chat filter does nothing beside making communication harder.

One of this days I was playing as killer when three survivors escaped from the hook via 4% on the same match. At the end, I was surprised to see none of them had Slippery Meat ( I knew it wasn't Deliverance because no one was broken after the unhook). So, I asked "How did you get 3 unhooks without Slippery Meat?"

And...

"How did you get 3 unhooks

################ meat?"

Then I said "I really thought you had the perk, since I couldn't type the perk's name anyway", and then they left. One of the survivors was a t.tv and so I opened their stream just to check their reactions whey they kobe'd, and to see if they understood my comment. They didn't. The streamer thought I was talking about deliverance because he didn't understand the first line.

And that happened when I was talking in english. But when I'm talking with players in another language, it gets worse. If any word is slightly similar to an english slur, it gets censored.

Post edited by Malkhrim on
  • SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

Good. Remove the entire thing. It's worthless.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Not only does it censor the wrong things, but actual profanity slips through occasionally anyway. I wish they never implemented a filter at all, or at least give us an option to turn it off.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,181
    Options

just take it out at this point.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 935
    Options

In other languages, most of the profanity still appears. Some people trashtalk a lot and it's still visible. I don't think the chat filter has really done anything against the toxicity in this game.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

couldn't say ping earlier

guy thought I called him a slur

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,736
    Options

Meg: I'm sorry ###### of Pig, I tried to help

Me: Did the game seriously just censor my name?

Me: ###### of Pig

Meg: Wow that's lame

Not kidding, this happened. You can't say my username in endgame chat. It'll censor it.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    edited February 2022
    Options

Today it censored gibberish that I was typing to be a silly fella

The next game, an Elodie angered me and I called her a stupid #########. It remained uncensored.

Filter don't work

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,942
    Options

Perfect? PERFECT?! I mean, I am fully with you on that swear word angle, but why censor stuff like "4min" or "but" or "Dwight"? You cant have any meaningful conversation that way! Yeah, all this could be used to come down on some person, like "Dwights play 4min into the game made us all loose! Thanks for nothing, Dwight player!!!1" and another young, tender soul is hurt, but this kind of overprotection also prevents us from praising each other and saying "Dwight, thanks for that save in the 1st min of the game <3"

• Mdawgu
    Mdawgu Member Posts: 408
    Options

People cant be toxic if they cant speak. Working as intended.

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377
    Options

I find it so funny how Overwatch (a PG-13 game) gives you the option to have the chat completely unfiltered meanwhile DBD needs to censor the word ,,but" for you.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,398
    Options

I had the letter ‘y’ censored in “ty”. Just that. It makes absolutely no sense.

Moreover, when the tomes, flavour texts, whathaveyou, include the very same curse words as they’re trying to block, it’s just hypocritical. Filter out the slurs, sure, but we’ve established in the very beginning that it doesn’t even do that.

• AlbinoViera
    AlbinoViera Member Posts: 169
    Options

Please, for the love of everything, tell me that you're joking and that you didn't take the sheer volume of sarcasm in my comment seriously..

• Drawnyell
    Drawnyell Member Posts: 25
    Options

it's really insane

i speak brazilian portuguese and i swear... half our dictionary is just censored

you can't say anything and the game censors it, but OF COURSE it does not censor the ACTUAL BAD STUFF

i can say a lot of bad stuff to people but i'm not allowed to say "i'm sorry" in my language, i'm not allowed to say ANY word that has an "h" in it(which honestly is A LOT of words in PT-BR, you literally can't say "million/millions" :v), i can't say anything, not even the most basic things

and that get's me thinking the same thing as you

isn't this supposed to be an M rated geme? i think i've seen the devs say curse words before while they're showing stuff about the game, why can't the players say it in the game chat? oh no actually they can but they can't say normal stuff... crazy huh?

anyway i think i'm going to try and contact behaviour in some way about this because it's really ridiculous, half my language is just cenored in this game and i'm getting tired of this BS

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

honestly the fact that the sensor even reacts to words other then slurs is kinda stupid.

• enormous_bruh_moment
    Options

The fact the player can't choose to say "no thanks BHVR, I'm an adult, I can handle seeing words you don't like." is absurdly stupid.

It's one thing for BHVR to have their absolutely ludicrous levels of censorship in their chat filter. Overzealous, ridiculous, needlessly behaving like a moral busibody? All that and more, but sure, maybe some particularly weak and pathetic, emotionally insecure people really do appreciate having that. Go for it.

It's another thing entirely to have such an overreaching and restrictive system of censorship, and to NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO DISABLE IT.

That's extremely controlling, oppressive, and tyrannical. Unless you're dealing with literal children there is zero justification for not allowing people to turn it off if they want to see what other people are saying.

Seriously BHVR, who the hell do you think you are? What right of yours is it to control what I'm allowed to see? What business is it of yours what I choose to say to other players or what they say to me? Yes you made the game, but I'm the one playing it with someone else. Not you. Neither of us care what you think about what we say.

If they do, they can leave the filter on! Just put a disclaimer in when you disable it "if you choose to disable this filter, you are taking responsibility for your own emotions and you will not be allowed to submit reports about toxic chats" or w/e.

Again, my problem is not with the filter existing.

You can try fruitlessly to babyproof the internet all you want. Knock yourself out. My problem is that you won't let us choose anything other than your censorship.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

I agree completely. Like this game is rated M already it's not meant for children. I'm fine with people not wanting to see slurs or anything of that nature and so a chat filter should exist but it not being toggleable is ######### stupid.

• enormous_bruh_moment
    Options

But will anything be done about it? Will anyone from BHVR communicate to us the community, about this issue?

People involved with BHVR have seen it, hell one of them edited my original post somehow. Maybe it was a moderator or something sure, and I know mods most likely are not employees, but they have community managers and they have the time to talk to people about pictures of their cats or w/e.

I'm not saying that I alone am somehow special, but if you have someone like me who makes a thread about an issue with the game they feel passionately about, and it gets like a page full of people responding and upvoting one another's comments all saying that they agree and hold the same opinion about this issue, how is this not something that community managers should respond to?

What are you and I as members of this community meant to think about the community managers whose job it is to read and engage with issues raised by the community?

If I'm to be charitable and try not to presume malice i.e. that it's specifically because I am being critical in my framing of the issue, I'm left to presume ignorance/incompetence.

I'll probably try and verify that it is one or the other directly by making another thread about this putting everything as politely and simply as possible, just, directly asking for comment about the chat filter and its aggressiveness.

So far no one has touched this issue aside from editing my original post for me/without my consent, so I can't say I'm optimistic.

• kalebtyb
    kalebtyb Member Posts: 7
    Options

im sorry, dont you mean ####### insane?