Killers, apparently I'm doing something bad for hiding when you patrol my generator?

I'm a survivor main.

Yesterday I met a Killer, who intentionally worked with the other survivor (2 of us left) to find me, kill me, and let the other one escape. I asked him why did he break the gameplay rules and do such a toxic thing, when I didn't do anything...

his response was, "I didn't like your vibes, you were hiding every time I patrolled your generator, I don't like hiders"

wtf?? So if I am doing a Generator, and I hear the killer coming, and I hide, and he struggles to find me during patrols..... I am doing something bad?

Lol what? Is this normal attitude among killers, or did I just meet a toxic loser?

Comments

• SilentShepherd
    SilentShepherd Member Posts: 527

As a team, we only completed 2 generators. I did 1 all by myself, and co-op the 2nd. I also unhooked two people, and healed like 3 people.

But the killer struggled to find me.

Interesting that you share the same animosity. What is an "immersed gen-jockey" ? You expect me to sit on generator, let you see me, and then go on a chase every time?

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Well when I see someone hiding at last two survivors, I'd certainly try to kill that person instead of whoever I found first.

Are you sure that survivor were "intentionally working with killer"? like pointing at your location or bodyblocking you?

A killer can always choose to force un-bleedout (spamming pick up for forced wiggle out), it doesn't necessarily mean another one were working with killer.

And if that's the case, that survivor is certainly reportable I think, I don't know about killer.

• Lucario576
    Lucario576 Member Posts: 53

If the person hides that counts as another type of "chasing" but if they hard hide not doing gens, not helping the team then yeah that is bad

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016
  • fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
  • AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

Sounds like you met a loser who would be better off playing single player games.

Of course you hide when the killer comes by your gen, what did he expect you to do, jumping jacks?

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

Not getting caught often does more for the survivor team than leading the killer on a chase because he is wasting all of that time looking for you instead of entering a chase. That's how the game was played on release. You're doing great.

Now if you're at risk at taking a hit, just run and gain distance. While lockers can be useful, it's a one hit down if you get caught in one, and if you're playing a killer like me you're at high risk for a random Iron Maiden perk.

To answer your question directly, you're doing an A+ job. Even if the game doesn't reward it anymore, a killer that can't find survivors can't get hooks. If you're doing a generator and not sitting in a bush all game you're doing fantastic.

• Tryharder
    Tryharder Member Posts: 173

Playing hide and seek as killer when there are 2 survivors left is just sleep inducing, I had games go for hours because immersive survivor usually hide in a dark corner trying to mentally exhaust the killer by not progressing the game like doing gens and avoiding afk crows, especially with spine chill and urban Evasion. Trust me you’ll hate hiders too when they leave dead on hook just to avoid me and now you just spectating a 2 hour match of your survivor mate hiding in a bush

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

I get that, but the OP was (according to his post) working on gens. He just hid when the killer came to check, which just seems like good game sense.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

As killer main I don't think hiding is wrong, however if I find I do tend to use excessive force (as in, will chase you until you're in a hook) because I know it's probably the last time I will see you. This might be interpreted as being pissed at you.

As a main killer who begrudgingly plays survivor for challenges, I hail you because this is the only way I can play without dying xD.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

Oh yeah there is this very special case where the survivor just hides in a closet for the majority of the match, only ever moving to avoid the crows. I have had a few of this and if at this point the last other survivor gently points me to this guy I will gladly take the sacrifice and give the other one their pick between hatch and door escape. Might even throw in an extra chase and wiggle if he teabags the little coward.

• Tryharder
    Tryharder Member Posts: 173

I mean most killer run bbq, if they don’t have 4 stacks they would probably prioritize getting the 4th stack instead of anything else in front of them. Especially if someone use a rare bp offering

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

As a killer main I'm annoyed with myself when I can't find people hiding. I'm not mad when people hide though, if they can avoid me chasing them that's the better option right?

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

Dont let it get to you and take it as a sign of talent on your part. Sure it sucked to be targeted like that and killers will often do worse stuff to get in all their hook states before the match is over. The real question is tho were you playing as blendette for this match that is often a bigger issue with killers.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

Being an immersed player can be game changer, to the worst: it might end up with more people on death hook while you still haven't taken a single chase

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649

Play how ever you want, unless you're breaking the rules of course.

I like chasing as much as i like using stealth, so both are fun for me.

You know what's not fun? People telling you how to play. I'm not being toxic, I'm not cheating, I'm doing all the team work i can.

It's the killers job to find you after all

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Report his toxic ass.

And no, hiding while killer is patrolling gens is the right play. Why would you give him easy find? Let him work for it.

Unless everyone else is dead on hook and you havent been hooked once, its the right play

• Winchester89
    Winchester89 Member Posts: 85

honestly, some people are already toxic if they don't like your name. If devs penalized toxic behavior properly, some would probably think twice about how they behave.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,688

Hiding is absolutely fine, but it means that you should never complain about camping. You’re basically telling killers that if someone is on a hook, the killer should never leave the area to patrol generators.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

Its very sad the other 2 worked for the Killer to get you dead but some people have this mindset where they think this game revolves only around chases and making them as long as possible, anything else like hiding, juking, sneaking around, fixing gens etc thats for losers and cowards.

Fixing gens while hiding and juking the Killer is usually the best thing Survivors can do and the strongest way to play, the gens get done, the Killer doesnt progress their objective, they become frustrated making them prone to mistakes, nobody wastes pallets which may be useful if someone gets spotted etc, the only drawbacks are its hard to pull and petty people may take ofense and camp whoever gets found first (someone is going to get found eventually), also Ruin gets more value.

In my experience both as Killer and Survivor during the first 2 minutes if people play very very sneaky while fixing gens they can put a ton of pressure on the Killer (gens are getting done albeit slower and all pallets still stand, once he finally finds someone its almost guaranteed 3 gens pop before the chase is over), the best way to achieve this is if you spawn near a gen, fix it for 5 seconds and then go find another one, especially one where you saw the Killer coming from as its probably the last gen he will visit again, once he sees the gen you started he will lose several seconds searching the area, giving you and the rest of the team a lot of free time.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311

Sounds like you simply leave the gen and hide when the killer approaches, am I right there? Because that's just a thing that often works, no matter if you try to hide until they go away to get back on the gen or to make sure you start the chase with max distance and in a good position.

Obviously you can take hiding too far, like just crawling around the outskirts of the map while the killer is a lightyear away. But that doesn't sound like what you did so whoever complained about what you did are just crybabies and you shouldn't worry about it.

• Turtlesrock
    Turtlesrock Member Posts: 50

so many times while playing solo Q i have seen 3 people on death hook and one person hiding all game and never taking agro. If the hider with no hooks took at least 1 hook, that alone is a game changer

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,627

I see a couple like these ever thousand hours. They usually die bleeding out, sometimes with another survivor nagging them before leaving through the doors.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,627

The "animosity", as far as I'm concerned, is for survivors not helping their teammates. Hiding is only correlated with this. Again yesterday I've made a point to kill the last survivor of a team (instead of the usual hatch drop) because the little prick didn't unhook the best player of the team when I was nowhere close. It was so disappoing.

I have nothing against survivors playing immerse. I just don't enjoy to play against them. The game, as far as I'm concerned, is about chases and evasion. It's also about taking one for the team. I'm pretty certain I'm not alone feeling like this (both as killer and as survivor).

I love that moment were survivors use their skills to break another's chase. It's way more interesting.

e.g. taking a hit and body blocking (except against Nurse) or something requiring more skills like accurately blurring the tracks with their own.

• CharaTheOperator
    CharaTheOperator Member Posts: 10

Eh. I am of the opinion that no one in this game owes you anything (that's the job of the developers), especially when it comes to the relationship of survivor and killer. Hiding and avoiding the killer is literally the point of the game from a survivor's point, so I have a hard time seeing how what you did was bad. Even hiding on a corner of the map until you find a hatch is a completely valid strategy.

• Dionysus42
    Dionysus42 Member Posts: 427

Weird how hiding is good now; before, people were so keen on insisting that 'only chase is REAL gameplay'.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

100% this.

I am a hider. The game was made with hiding as the intended gameplay mechanic, not looping. That said, I only like to hide between objectives. I would never hide doing nothing for 10 minutes just to draw the game out. But if a killer is coming towards me, I am not gonna click a flashlight at him, I am gonna circle the tile slowly to avoid his notice.

Mostly cause I treat this game as a horror game not NASCAR simulator.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

This. Sometimes, if need be, I'll take aggro from another survivor, but 99% of the time I'm hiding and thinking about myself in the moment

• SilentShepherd
    SilentShepherd Member Posts: 527

Yup this is how I play. I do objectives, and when the killer comes, I don't let him see me and make him waste his time searching the area. Sometimes very good killers will be persistent and look everywhere and I get found, but most of the time I am able to hear the terror radius coming and back off the generator. I get right back on the gen as soon as he leaves lol. Which is what annoys some killers. The killer kicks the generator, leaves, then comes back to a working generator again.. so he KNOWS I am nearby but he gets mad he can't find me lol