How would you rework deadhard?

2»

Comments

• Sharpefern
    Sharpefern Member Posts: 422

So I am failing to see how that is different than the other exhaustion perks. The entire point of them is for the survivors to extend a chase, or get away. They have one use of them per chase unless some crazy shenanigan's are occurring with vigil. Is this any different then the other extenders. A survivor is able to fall from a great height prior to you hitting them, generally this would be a free hit but because of balanced they reset the chase, compared to a survivor getting to the deadhard point for a window and getting to vault it resetting the chase. And like most other perks there are certain killers that just directly counter this perk as in anyone with a 1 down assuming they arent running no mither which would essentially mean they are still 2 hit downs.

I get that it is frustrating because it is more versatile but it also adds less distance than the others, minus head on, and still has a caveat that is mostly determined by the killer, the survivor being injured, compared to the survivor starting running or vaulting something or jumping. As the killer you know the two instances dead hard is used for, dodging a hit and making a little more distance and can determine a bait or readjust your chase accordingly.

• neb
    neb Member Posts: 790

Difference is that it's way more easier to activate whenever you want, with all of the other exhaustion perks having some downside like activating whenever you don't want it to activate, or it being hard to activate. It's why deadhard is much more used than any of the other exhaustion perks.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Split Dead Hard into two perks. One that lets a survivor lunge for extra distance but doesn't make them invulnerable doing it, and another that lets them become invulnerable briefly but without a speed boost. Odds are both perks would still see use, with the distance perk probably being the more popular one, and both perks would be weaker than the current Dead Hard.

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539

I only play killer and Dead Hard is fine. Learn to work around it, OP.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,887

The definition of rework is to change something of the original version. It's not only held to buffing/nerfing something about the perk.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited February 2022

I understand what each exhaustion perk requires what I don’t understand is how adding one simple step (vaulting a window, finding a structure with height is really that much of an effort) because unless you are talking about Shelter Woods there is always a window, something with height etc in every map.

I am also not sure why you compare the other exhaustion perks weaknesses with Dead Hard’s when they are working differently and serve different purposes. As I mentioned before you cannot use Lithe, SB, BL etc in Short Loops. There is only Dead Hard.

Because I firmly believe if the devs made another “short loop” exhaustion perk, players would complain about that one too. They do not mind getting robbed in a long distance loop but in short distance they throw their hands up in the air. When it is giving an entirely different value because that is how the perk is suppose to work.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,610

Well, I'm not suggesting removing its ability to help in short loops. I'm perfectly fine with it- if you're using it to dodge a hit and gain a little distance while the killer's staggered, that's great!

What I'm suggesting is removing its distance capacity. I understand what the perk is for, and I think its intended effect is perfectly legitimate and acceptable for a game like this. The problem is that it ALSO gives you an on-demand chase reset via using it for distance. It has two main effects right now, and having both makes it OP.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Grants one opportunity to take 3 hits to down instead of 2. After all, you're supposed to be hard, not fleet flooted.

• fengminenjoyer
    fengminenjoyer Member Posts: 62

I see! Thanks for keeping on explaining so i can understand why people have such frustrations with this perk instead of being rude lol its rare around this place especially with hot debates like dead hard, i hope something can be done so dead hard can still work as it should but killers dont get unfairly treated in doing do. I dont use it that much myself as a survivor cause id rather run fun or weird builds now a days.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,467

A rework for dead hard is easy. make it either a distance gain or have it give I frames. not both.

also make it so it doesn't work with placed traps. yeah I know it's very rare but it should still be a thing,

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,273
    edited March 2022

Simple.. Remove the distance. Just let it a simple dodge and thats it. This way survivors wont use it to get to windows or pallets and prolong the chase

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

Can't wait for killers to still complain about it after it gets nerfed like they still do with DS on a daily basis.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,273

I don't mind DS. I rather make survivors use them all away before endgame so they have nothing to use in the endgame.

• UnKn0wN45
    UnKn0wN45 Member Posts: 60

Ah, I see the Cyberman have infiltrated the DbD forums. :D

• Breadn
    Breadn Member Posts: 203

I would make it so you can't perform actions for ~2 seconds afterwards, unless the killer swings and misses (or power equivalent)

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,615

once you recover from the dying state, you get a speedbost of 150% for 3 seconds. the actual dead hard shouldn't exist in the 1st place...

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,082

I had this idea, what if Dead Hard was kept the same, but at the end of the dash, you would tremendously slow down for a sec?

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,615

killers have bloodlust cause the devs aren't good enough to fix their map design... certain loops would be literally infinites if bloodlust will be gone, and that's a fact... dead hard should be COMPLETELY reworked and put in line together with the other exhaustion perks (boost of your ms of 150% for 3 seconds and with certain condictions)

• cluxdx
    cluxdx Member Posts: 168
    edited March 2022

Cut its distance in half and give the Endurance status effect instead of the I-frames. Makes it less effective as a distance tool (its objectively best use at high level) and more effective when actually dodging a hit (the only genuinely skillful use of it).

It also removes its potential to be a get-out-of-jail-free card because if you use it to make up for messing up a loop the killer can just wait it out. I'd love to see Dead Hard be more of a protection hit tool than a distance tool, and that seems like an interesting way to do it.

• cluxdx
    cluxdx Member Posts: 168

I'm actually 100 percent fine with the way DS is now as are most killer mains; that's a fat strawman there.

• Casm
    Casm Member Posts: 61

I disagree with almost all the suggestions here. Removing the distance or the immunity frames? Either effectively kills the perk. If you remove the i-frames, then it's just a really, really bad sprint burst. Remove the distance and the killer will simply recover and down you before you have a chance to accomplish anything. I also disagree with a complete rework. IMO, it's not necessary.

The only problem with Dead Hard IMO is it's too readily available. Too easy to utilize. Right now, the only restriction on DH is that you have to be injured to use it, that's it. To me, that's a bit too lenient in relation to how powerful it is. Just make it a bit stricter to use and it'll go a long way at resolving the issue.

As for a few examples, in addition to needing to be injured:

DH becomes active (lit up) for only X seconds after getting hit, before deactivating.

DH only becomes active after being in a chase for X amount of time while injured.

Has some other requirement to activate, such as taking a protection hit, getting a successful rescue, healing an injured state etc.

Give it charges so it can only be used X number of times per match.

Basically, slightly restrict how freely the perk is available but otherwise leave it the same, working exactly as it does now. Same amount of distance, same i-frames, same exhaustion, but can't be utilized quite so freely as before.

• cutiekiller
    cutiekiller Member Posts: 238

no, it's balanced, the perk should be used to dodge a hit, not gain distance to extend the chase by 2 minutes

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 968
    edited March 2022

Just making that while and after using a dead hard... you cannot interact with anything for 2 seconds (drop pallets, vault windows/pallets) this is for preventing people just using the perk to erase their mistakes during chases 🤔

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290
    edited March 2022

While in chase - The survivor can pre-emptively press the Dead Hard key to buffer a Dead Hard - If the killer attacks during this buffer duration the attack is dodged.

Dead Hard now no longer relies on latency as much and is changed to do what it was originally meant to do. It gives a guaranteed dodge of an attack while in chase but you need to be in chase to use it. The Dead Hard initiates when the killer attacks and the attack would have been successful. Meaning the killer can wait out a potential Dead Hard similar to Borrowed Time or they can force you to Dead Hard at a bad time.

I wouldn't give a pre-requisite to use Dead Hard aside from the killer attacking during this buffer duration.