Please check if your issue has already been reported first!

When reporting a bug, please follow the template provided, otherwise the report will be declined. The information requested is vital to allow us to correctly reproduce and then fix what you are reporting.
We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

30 FPS 100% CPU while only 30% GPU with an I7 4790K

FunCat
FunCat Member Posts: 27

Hi!

Every 4 or 5 games, my CPU go crazy for no reason and i have 30 fps max.

The game is the unplayable.

I'm forced to try to get hooked quickly to leave the match to restart the game.

There is absolutly nothing esle running in the background when that happen and i can see on the perfomance tab that it's DBD who take all the CPU.

I can tell you that it's really annoying because i can't quit the match because of DC penalty and most of the time when i run to the killer to get killed, he don't pick me up and i stay most of the match on the ground until i bleed out.

If this problem happened only every 10 match it will be bearable, but it can be every 2 match and it's really frustrating.

I wonder how this game can use 100% of an I7 4790K at 4.5 Ghz while every setting are at the lowest and the GPU ( GTX 980 Ti WC) is only at 30%.

What is wrong with this game?

Any idea?

3 votes

Pending · Last Updated

Comments

• FunCat

now it's every 2 games

i put 1920 x1080 resolution

graphics on low and 65% resolution.

I got only 30% GPU usage but CPU is at 100% and i got 30 fps while i got normally 90 FPS wiht 90% Gpu and 60% CPU max.

there is clearly a problem from the game and it totally ruin my motivation.

Got almost 3K hours in this game but when i see how devs are adding more and more bugs and seems to don't care of anything but cosmetics, i really start to think that i lost a huge amount of my lifetiime

• Nightboi
    Nightboi Member Posts: 4

Does it trigger on certain maps? With certain perks? Certain characters? Cosmetics?

Could definitely be an issue with your CPU considering it's seeing the most use with average usage on your GPU. Does your memory take a significant hit too? How long have you owned your PC? Do you have secondhand parts? Is there too much/too little thermal paste applied on your CPU? Excess heat can make it work way harder. Is your PC pre-built or homemade?

Don't jump to blaming the developers. They don't "add" bugs. I've been playing since 2016 and have racked up a fair amount of hours myself and have not once gone straight to "it's the developer's fault I'm getting poor performance on my computer."

To be fair, your computer's specs aren't exactly top of the line (neither are mine, to be frank) and I think that the minimum REQs listed on the steam page is heavily outdated. DBD is a lot more graphically intensive and there's a lot more going behind the scenes than there was a few years ago.

I suffer with performance sometimes (AMD Ryzen 3 1300x, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB memory) so I would definitely say to check on your parts and maybe consider an upgrade if possible!

• wimpy
    wimpy Member Posts: 274

Please try the following to isolate the problem.

• Step 1:Delete the folder named DeadByDaylight stored in %userprofile%\AppData\Local.
    • Step 2:Uninstall Dead by Daylight from Steam and reinstall it again.
    • Step 3:You set up only in the in-game settings.

Does it change when you start a match? No change?

If nothing changes and the situation remains bad, please let me know so that I can make another suggestion.

• FunCat

Hi!

My PC is 5 year old but it's a high end

ASUS Z97WS

INTEL I7 4790K

EVGA GTX 980 Ti Watercooled

No heat or memory problems.

When the game is working normally, i got between 90 and 120 FPS with my GPU between 80 and 99% and CPU between 40 and 60%.

When the problem happen, i check the perf monitoring and i can see that it's DBD who take 80% CPU .

And while it's happening, the temp are around 60°C.

I have no problems in other games.

I ran metro exodus in 1080p on ultra and get between 90 and 120 fps .

The problem is, for me, from the game.

How can i have 100% CPU while the GPU is only at 30%.

Never had a game like that.

I'm not a master in computer but i play games a lot since almost 20 year now and always have more GPU usage than CPU .

I have 3 000 hours in this game and never had this issue.

If my computer wasn't able to run this game, i think i had noticed it since a moment.

I will give a try to the re install solution.

• FunCat

I did a Fresh install and now my fps are capped to 60 beside of 120 (which is good)

But i still have a bigger CPU usage in some match.

The good news is now I'm around 45 FPS when it happen which is bearable.

It start to happen the last update with the new map.

I hope the next update will fix the problem but i didn't dream. ^^

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,944

I've noticed my frames going crazy since the new update. I don't have the best PC, but at least before the update I had consistent FPS, now it's just freezing all over the place.

• FunCat

I use MSI afterburner to see how much CPU and GPU usage.

Something is not right with this game.

It's the only game where i Have more CPU usage than GPU.

• wimpy
    wimpy Member Posts: 274

My PC is poorly configured, unlike your wonderful high-end PC. I am so embarrassed that I can't even tell you what my PC is made of. My poor PC can barely read Twitter, but it can play Dead by Daylight!

I played Dead by Daylight with trepidation that my meager PC might possibly explode.

And lo and behold!

CPU usage was 21% and GPU usage was 49%! The GPU temperature at that time reached as high as 30 degrees Celsius!

How your wonderful high-end PC can reach 100% CPU utilization is a total mystery!

This is truly one of the Seven Wonders of the World!

• AMD Ryzen™ 9-3950X
    • ASRock X570 AQUA
    • msi RTX 2080 SEA HAWK EK X
    • G.Skill 3600C16D-32GTZN
    • CFD M2B1TPG3VNF
    • CFD M2B5GPG3VNF
    • Corsair HX1000i
  • FunCat

:D

it's a mystery for me also.

The strange thing is that when it don't bug, I can play in ultra on my 1440P monitor and i got only 60% GPU and 30% CPU usage.

But every 2 or 3 matches, i got only 45 FPS, even if i change resolution to 1080P and graphics on low with scaling res at 65%.

It's almost like if the game is running in double.

But i think this game is poorly optimized.

Because even with everything on low and when i didn't have the issue, i got stutter very often.

• FunCat

now it's almost every three games.

And for sure, no answers from any devs at all.

I thinkl the only thing i got to do is what i did previously, stop playing this game.

I did it one year, but i think now i will did it definitely like most of the steam friends i met in the game.