NOED op??

Options
2»

Comments

• fernandosilveirasc
    fernandosilveirasc Member Posts: 37
    Options

Ok lets take your point of view and say it is punishing survivor's mistake.

1- what was the mistake? Not searching the map for 5 dull totems? And what if they did search but weren't able to find it? Should they just keep running arround and get picked out 1 by one? Its not like totems have a bat signal on them.

2- Is the punishment fair? Can a perma exposed, usually acompannied by a timer and a facecamp be considered a fair punishment?

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

You assumed gate was open, which was clearly a mistake.

And you assumed survivors to not counter hexes, not even remember where it spawns, which is also clearly a mistake.

And then you assumed over-altruism of survivors to give killers 4k, which is also certainly a mistake.

Oh and in the end, you assumed survivors to NOT play SWF, which is, biggest mistake they can make.

As always, killers can only chase one survivors at a time, if they truly "played good" and killer "played poorly" there is four survivors, with hooked one there will be three, killers has to choose between camp or patrol, and even if he chooses to patrol, he has to chase someone to get a down, there will be enough time to break bones or rescue a hooked survivor.

At worst, killer secures a kill, at best, all four survivors escape.

It only works against bad survivors unless killers play good until there.

"perma expose" is not a thing because it is not permanent, timer is their own mistake and a facecamp makes everything easy.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    edited March 2022
    Options

1. Basic situational awareness while you're running around looking for gens will allow you to find most of the totems. Add to that the boon meta meaning they're rarely five Dull totems on the map for long in any match, meaning if you were to go looking for dull totems halfway through the match you'd only really have to look for two or three. Also you only have to destroy every dull totem if you want to completely stop the hex from activating at all. It is at this point that I would like to mention in case you've forgotten that this is the only perk in the game that can be removed by the actions of the opposing side before it has a chance to take any effect whatsoever. The process for completely removing a perk before it has any chance to have any effect on the game, in my opinion, should take a decent amount of effort to accomplish, more than just removing a hex after it has started up.

2. Is it fair after it activates? Absolutely. The killer can't chase all of you at the same time, and at that point you can counter noed by cleansing a single totem that has been helpfully lit up for your convenience. You aren't Perma exposed, you are exposed until you take out a single totem, on a map that by that point in the game, you should know fairly well from traversing it all match. And as much as I hate to beat the same drum, with boons as popular as they are, you're looking at 2-3 possible totems it could be on. That's at worst, a 33% chance of finding the right one first.

Anyway, the idea that it's punishing a survivor's mistake isn't just the point of view of a few forum posters, it is actually the stated intention of the perk as per at least one of the devs. As the match goes on as a Survivor you should be keeping an eye out for totems and either blessing them, destroying them, or remembering their locations to check later if the killer turns out to have NOED. All three options are completely valid counters to the perk, it's just a matter of whether you wish to destroy the perk before it has any chance of doing any good, or if you would prefer to roll the dice on the chance the killer doesn't have that Perk.

• fernandosilveirasc
    fernandosilveirasc Member Posts: 37
    Options

I didn't assume anything, I clearly said "usually".

And how is it a mistake not knowing where totems spawn? Not everyone has 500h+ like some of us have. Me as mostly a killer player have almost no Idea where they spawn when I play as survivor in some maps.

Assuming altruism is not a mistake, its just what happens, if you are SWF most likely they will search for totem or tell to leave. When playing agains randoms, its just a coin flip. But most of the time, it becomes a snowball. You can check online videos of consecutive NOED plays, its usually the same.

And also SWF is not default, you might play SWF everytime, but most people play as random, and that you can research for. Also a lot of SWF are only 2 person with 2 randoms.

And with the choice of camp or search, this is what I mean by altruism. Usually when I play with friends we already have agreed to just 3E and not even waste time. But most of the time, when with randoms, even if I try killing myself on hook, people will come and die. And definatelly there will only be time to clense the totem if the gates are not already open, and most cases than not, they are already open.

But I see you will never change your mind as most people wont. I will always believe its a douchebag perk, for bad killers to feel good about themselves. There are so many ways to build a killer, even a trapper, to get fun out of the match and improve in chases and loops, go for a 4k and not be a douchebag, yet people love the easy way.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

NOED is a end game perk... and in certain situations can be hard to take care of

NOED has to be thought of for the entire match... Just like every other perk in the game

Survivors complain that it shouldn't be a surprise... so let it be known when the last Gen is done

If Survivors are worried about NOED then the Gens wouldn't be done as fast as they are... think about it for a second

NOED is a decent counter to COH... but i would have to look into it more

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,613
    Options

Noed is not overpowered, it's just badly designed. It has a lot of value with very little effort on the killer's end. It's a free 3-stack devour because all the gens got done. That's it.

The "counterplay" is to cleanse 5 totems when there's no guarantee the killer will even be using the perk, and we're in a meta where cleansing dull totems is literally a bad idea because you should be booning them for healing instead (and don't get me wrong, I hate COH with a passion, but I'm speaking from an objective standpoint here) + pentimento also exists now, and cleansing dulls is a great way to cost you even more time later if the killer is using it.

It was never a good idea to spend the time it takes to cleanse 5 totems anyway, but there's even more reasons not to these days. It is much more efficient to just pay attention to where totems are and check them at the end if noed does come up.

Now, like I said, I do not think noed is actually overpowered, and thus I don't really want it to be "nerfed", I just want it to be reworked into something that has to be earned like NWO. It is true that the killer has to play the rest of the match with 3 perks, so there could be some baseline effect and then it gets stronger based off tokens like NWO does (as an example). In exchange for it needing to be earned and not just having it for free, it could be made a bit stronger than it is now at full power. This is why I like NWO's design; if you don't hook any survivors, then its effect is very small despite still doing something, while at 4 stacks it's a good perk.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,998
    edited March 2022
    Options

I wouldn't call it OP but I think it still needs to get reworked.

probably the perk that makes you feel the worse

loop a killer for 3-4 gens. then get smacked down by Noed the first time you get hit just feels horrible and unfair.

the "Do bones" argument is bs , because especially in solo queue and if your taking chase the whole game you cant "do bones"

I would honestly just remove the speed boost it gives you.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,213
    Options

It's not OP. It's so weak it can be disabled before it even proc.

It's even weaker now that survivors have these OP boons.

• NOEDENJOYER
    NOEDENJOYER Member Posts: 237
    Options

Because killers having a single second-chance perk against the 5 or 6 that the survivors have isn't fair apparently, even though it's completely controlled and dictated by the survivors willingness to cleanse totems or not.

In comparison, every second chance perk by the survivor(s) are often uncounterable by the killer. Dead Hard for distance, etc.

• fulltonon
    Options

That's why you can break NOED without fear of EGC, consider it as a good thing.

If you don't want to know where the bones are, problem is on you.

• buzzaman
    buzzaman Member Posts: 119
    Options

Its definitely not OP, but its certainly badly designed. Its needs some sort of stipulation like: Get 4 individual hooks or something like that

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

Cool, so he's camping a single totem, instead of a hooked survivor? So then you can all just leave out the gate and let him keep his totem. Or are we to believe this is some magic camping method that allows a killer to camp the totem as well as both gates at the exact same time?

• JoaoVanBlizzard
    JoaoVanBlizzard Member Posts: 554
    Options

I don't think Noed is OP, but he's a kind of unfair perk, because sometimes it helps a killer who played badly the whole match and eliminates a survivor who played the whole match without going to the hook, but I don't think it needs to nerf or something.

• JoaoVanBlizzard
    JoaoVanBlizzard Member Posts: 554
    Options

but then the problem is in MMr, if survs that play poorly fall against killers that play well or vice versa, the imbalance is in the game and not in the perk

• fulltonon
    Options

Then they aren't camping, what's the problem you have?

just rescue him, open gate and escape.

Killers can't defend hooks and totems and gates at same time, and survivors are the one who decide where they go down, if they hooked closer to NOED, that's on them and it won't happen for 99% of times anyway.