Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The DbD Playerbase Seems To Be Shrinking At An Alarming Rate...I Wonder Why.

StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
edited March 2022 in General Discussions

Now, the only data we have available is Steamcharts, which shows DbD at a low right now, when compared to the gigantic growth the game saw last year.

Despite the surge of players from March through June, we are now back to basically the same pre-surge number as March last year.

I have to wonder...why?

I'm still having a lot of fun. The last few new killers have been decent, a lot of nice little changes have been made. Compared to when I started (late 2020 if I recall correctly) it feels significantly better - but this game appears to, at the very least, be stagnating.

Maybe it's because the quarantine measures have started to relax and people are going outside again?

Is it that the 'surge' players just didn't stick around, or went back to/found other games?

Or maybe the game is sort of peaking, and will maintain similar numbers from hereon out - a big spike in the summer, then a steady falloff back to where we are now.

Going to be interesting to see what happens this anniversary event.

Comments

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,467

yeah the hackers are bad too.

• StarLost

Hackers, I understand.

I don't think it's MMR.

MMR is something that feels like a forum/streamer thing - as it definitely means that veteran players are going to have a somewhat ossified meta and be playing against opponents less varied than they are used to, which places pressure on them to play sweaty. But...that's high MMR in every game, and under ranks - while the vets and the pros had a blast, it also meant that newer or more intermediate players got destroyed.

Right now, Matchmaking Failed errors aside, I'm finding that the general quality of my matches has improved substantially. Before SBMM, I'd say maybe 1/3 of my games felt decently matched. Now it's...maybe 3/5? Not perfect, but certainly better.

• StarLost

This is a fair post.

I totally agree about the grind. It's one of the few things that makes this game a tough sell to my friends - not just the upfront money investment to unlock the 'must have' perks, but the insane grind. Hell, I'm almost 600 hours deep - at least 500 of those on the killer role - and I still haven't unlocked everything I want on every killer I want.

The meta...I hear you. On one side - facecamping is a problem, and one BHVR need to fix with haste. I've been trying to get better at survivor, and once you get out of what I'm guessing is the lower MMRs, you'll go from a camping Bubba to a camping Myers to a camping Bubba to a camping Huntress to a camping Wraith. It's not every game, but it's so frequent and so little fun to play against, even if you win. But I understand that 'fixing' camping in a way that doesn't completely break the game is quite difficult.

On the other side, you've got CoH (a truly terrible idea), the 'fixed' Dead Hard which may be one of the most frustrating things to play against in the game and wonky map balance.

It's...tough.

I don't think anyone, least of all the devs, expected the game to explode in popularity to the extent that it's almost a cultural touchstone in certain parts of the internet. It feels like it was made on spaghetti code and held together with tape - and short of a complete teardown job, all the devs can really do is add more tape.

I will say that the game now is substantially less buggy than it was a year ago.

Hackers...yeah. But that's another 'what can you really do?' issue. Even top shelf Esport games have cheaters. Making cheat/hack programs/techniques is so profitable and so sophisticated that, if you're willing to pay $100 bucks a month, you can probably afford a fairly robust hacking suite for any game you want that isn't almost entirely server side.

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 544

Boon totems made/make me stop playing. They need a cool down or change where you can't keep booning the same totem over and over. (Or give killers the option to snuff or destroy)

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Welcome back, been a while since I've seen one of your posts.

SBMM turned a lot of people off, Boons annoyed quite a lot of people, recent Killers haven't been exactly good and there's been nothing new really added.

Elden Ring just got released, so maybe that's also why the numbers are pretty low

• Gameboyman99
    Gameboyman99 Member Posts: 13

I mean personally, for me, I got 1k hours on the game and I'm not half bad. I'm definitely not your atypical red rank 1 player, but I enjoyed the game. But honestly, it's gotten old. They keep pushing out more content, but nothing in the game has really changed at all since I started. It's just the same old thing. This is fine for most games, but when you're playing a game where the goal of the survivors is to hold left click on gens for prolonged periods of time, it gets boring.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,865

Well said. The bad teammates I get to go against great killers frustrate me the most. I’m tired of it. I can’t carry 3 ######### potatoes against a Plaything/Pentimento Pinhead/Artist. Then they want to DC or kill themselves on hook because “it’s too hard.”

why are you even playing this game, then?? Please take this ######### off of Gamepass. Their previous game played is either Fortnite or Roblox. Every ######### time.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

I don’t think it’s boons like other people say since most of the player base is survivor. I say people don’t like sweaty games, people are I school now, and other games have released. Remember most people treat this game as a party game not competitive

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Also worth bringing up that the steamchart is, as it says, steam only.

It's generally believed consoles make up the majority of DBDs current playerbase, given the amount of consoles + gamepass and such.

It also doesn't include Windows/Epic which would def only be a small portion I'm sure but still worth considering.

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729

Then why are some accounts private, have a dbd name or are lvl 0?

This gaem is the only one where i made messages friends only.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

That would shock me given how many crossplay lobbies I get into. Then again, I guess a lot of those might be Xbox Game Pass users.

• KajdanKi
    KajdanKi Member Posts: 219
    1. this game has no purpose - everyone can be iri but its only grade, not your skill
    2. community is heard only if there is huge issue with something. rest is completely ignores
    3. hacking issue is big recently on both sides. its impossible to tell bevause most player use them "wisely"
    4. matchmaking is complete disaster. at higher mmr you get bunch of troll, toxic players who dc in middle of the game because they start with pig trap at the beginning for example
  • Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Lack of innovation really. Ringu isn’t awful but just boring imo

Also spaghetti code/bugs. Wake up is literally crashing killers games atm

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607
    edited March 2022

Hackers+Bad balance+a dev team that repeatedly goes on the record stating they don't care about your concerns and have no plans to address them. Why stick around when the devs do entire Q&A's just to tell you your concerns will never be addressed and in fact they may do the exact opposite? The devs plug their ears to the serious issues the game has (like hackers) and continue to push things much of the playerbase dislikes. And they have given no indication that they will change course. If anything, it feels like they have heard people want them to change course and have defiantly said "No!" The community is also a big issue. The devs do nothing to discourage bad behavior and even seem to think it's an important aspect of the game. There's a serious issue when your games toxicity is so bad that it is a physical hazard (strobing flashlight clickers against photo sensitive players.) Theories on the games player loss being something outside the games hands is also pretty false. If the player drop was tied to various changes like new games being released, pandemic restrictions going away, work from home ending, the holidays etc etc, then you should see the same sort of drop pretty much every where else. But when I checked a month ago, DBD's drop was very much not the norm. If the reasoning is that all the players from the RE dlc left, then the issue becomes "Why does the game have a literal 0% retention rate for new players?) a -50% drop in like 6 months is unlikely to be caused entirely by some outside factor.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    edited March 2022

I could say 1 to 4 ratio is the biggest problem, one killer leaving hurts as much as four survivors leaving.

I'm not sure if it's dying anyway, it could rerise upon anniversary or something.

Post edited by fulltonon on
  • RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

Pretty much everything is lowering the playerbase. MMR, Balance, Community, Devs, there are so many problems right now, most of which is fixable.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,761

"Why is the game struggling with player retention when the matchmaking system based off of intrinsically flawed values punishes people who play too much"

Wonder why there's a retention issue.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889
    edited March 2022

I'm still not convinced what the real issues behind the decline are but i guess it's save to say now that MMR was an own goal.

I'm also sure that boons are only a minor issue and not the reason half of the playerbase left. I know a lot of survivors who quitted or rarely play anymore. I guess the missing incentives for being good and the bad matchmaking are the main reasons.

Perks like Boons and Dead Hard are annoying but they're only the symptoms of the MMR matchmaking, basically showing what's wrong with the game at higher levels and how badly balanced it is if everyone is playing for pure efficiency. We had bad perks like old DS or old Undying before but games were still more fun because you could play without being in an absolute competitive mode.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

I wanna see stats other than steam players, I think DBD is up there on xbox.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

To boil it down, there are 2 reasons:

- killers not enjoying the current game speed. Where it's common to lose 2-3 gens around the first hook. Thus playing less and less.

- survivors not enjoying the queues. Where it's common to spend more time in the lobby than the actual match.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

My profile is public and everyone can send me a message. Idk i can’t give u an answer on that one

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,444

And new players not sticking around because of the awful grind, among other things.

• StarLost
    edited March 2022

My experience has been somewhat different. I started right when killers had their matchmaking protections removed (likely due to insane queue times as survivor) and maybe 2/3 of my games as a very new player was against red/purple rankers, people infinitely better than me or people smurfing. Smurfing was so easy that even some FWs did it openly to get 'more fun games'.

It was miserable. Absolutely awful.

Now, as what I'd guess is a high-intermediate player (at least on killer), barring the current MMR issues (seriously, maybe 40% of my queue attempts end in a 'Matchmaking Failed, Timeout created' error) I'd say that 3/5 of my games are at least somewhat evenly matched. 1/5 are against people much better than me, 1/5 are against people much worse than me. It's not perfect, but it's...better.

The thing about MMR - it makes the game better for the majority of players (who are new-intermediate at best) while making things perhaps a little rougher on the veterans, as they'll be more likely to face other veterans. If you keep stomping, in time you'll have to play sweaty to keep winning and eventually to maintain a 50% kill rate. That's...just the nature of the beast.

Before MMR - well, those epic 100+ win streaks came at the expense of a lot of frustrated survivors.

Hackers..yep.

• tesla
    tesla Member Posts: 446

What do you mean? I thought MMR was working great and preventing that.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

If your friend thinks this game is complicate and didnt want to learn maybe he didnt like it.

I mean if you like the game you dont mind to learn slowly,look videos etc..

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

I started playing on 2018, the repetitive gameplay is finally getting to me

• StarLost

It's not a doompost, at all.

It's just a trend I'm observing. Currently we are having a spike due to a new DLC dropping, but the last 6 months have been in the red - the longest 'falloff' period in DbD's history. Clearly something is going on.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,216

Exactly, with how high Resident Evil pushed up the game's numbers, it was bound to drop off eventually.

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729
    edited March 2022

You're forgetting that there's always a steep drop of players afterwards once the shiny new thing has run it's course.

Artist Release couldn't even increase the playerbase, people were still dropping off.

• lavars
    lavars Member Posts: 312

When an account is private, the level is always shown as 0

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

MMR.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

It is a piece of crap on last gen, and honestly I feel bad any time I play with friends who are on it lol. I don't think it's as extreme as it was back when Nemesis released though. Games completely fine on current gen, though.

• Adaez
    Adaez Member Posts: 1,239

Couldn't be because the game is in such a s*it health state and BHVR ignores their own playerbase and what they've been asking for years.