Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

New chapter out and playerbase still not increasing

Adaez
Adaez Member Posts: 1,239
edited March 2022 in General Discussions

When will it finally be time for BHVR to acknowledge the fact chapters will only increase the playerbase for a short period of time,but now not even that because of the glaring issues the game suffers from.

These are the main reasons I think its driving people away,old or new:

SBMMR is not working at all.

Encountering cheaters daily.

New games of the genre coming out soon.

The fact 90% of your games as survivor are againts campers and tunnelers,because its a strategy that just works in the current meta of rushing gens then dip.

Playing killer is not fun because playing the game normally without camping or tunneling is tedious and feels unrewarding.

Insane grind that's very unfriendly especially to new players.

Game has become too stale because BHVR never took a risk until now,since they didn't need to.

Game is missing basic quality of life features that other games of the genre have.

Comments

• Adaez
    Adaez Member Posts: 1,239

How is the game competitive when mmr matches you with a god squad,then players with less than 100 hours in the game,it became even more casual in my point of view,because matchmaking makes no sense.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,951

I wanna ask how you know playerbase is falling/ not increasing, but If you say Steam charts, im gonna dip on that conversation, because Im so tired of explaining why basing your opinion on a fraction of platforms used, using average CONCURRENT player count. Whereas if you want to know the size of the active playing community, you'll want the Daily Active Users / Weekly Active Users. But Im pretty sure its Steamcharts, cause its the only one people keep bringing up.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Actually Ringu did bump the player base. It hit March 8 and if you look at the chart in the days prior to that versus today there is an increase. It’s not as large an increase as some other licensed chapters but it’s there.

Frankly everybody keeps harping about “issues driving people away”, but in reality the game is 6 years old so a lot of what you’re seeing is just regression to the mean and attrition over time as people move to newer games. It’s still one of the top played games released in 2016, about where Civilization VI is I think (they both currently average around 35-40k concurrent players). That it still has as many players as it does is a sign of how good the game actually is.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    edited March 2022

It's a very repeatative game that is not noob friendly.

But 6 years, is still impressive. I'm sure it will hang a bit longer

Post edited by Clevite on
  • Emeal

Yeah I can, and thats why I call them out of the poor conclusions.

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729

Whenever i get a survivor who´s pretty much the definition of toxic BM´ing survivoroid main with plenty of comments on their steam profile.

I always wonder why people leave the game.

• Mazoobi
    Mazoobi Member Posts: 1,564

The game is getting repetitive and with the balance being wonky, I'm not surprised players want to try other games out.

DBD is fun, but it sometimes feels like a chore to play for both killers and survivors.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited March 2022

It’s not doing bad for how simple it’s formula is and how old it is.

Like it or not, many games wish they had DBD’s longevity.

• MilManson
    MilManson Member Posts: 939
    edited March 2022

SBMMR is just crap it's sweat games every game, no more meme builds, no more meme killers, no more meme survivors.

It's just 4k or 4 escape.

Survivors have the same perks, same medkits, same toolboxes. etc

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

what do you mean by meme? I do plenty of memeing when I play killer

• MilManson
    MilManson Member Posts: 939

Stuff like huntresses who only hatchet, no blink nurse, BK Myers, BK Bubba etc.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

Chapters dont come out to attract players anymore. they come out to keep the playerbase occupied. And the playerbase is pretty stable from 1 year ago, even though the matchmaking made the game worse and nothing else mayor changed.

• Emeal

I'm challenging the validity of using only Steams average/peak concurrent player count to reach a rational statement about the state of the game.

Its pretty obvious to me all the people using these numbers have an issue with the game, which they want to say caused the players to drop, but that is no reason to accept sloppy argument from poor research. MMR, Balance, Dead Hard, Cheaters. I've seen it all many times.

All you gotta do to show how useless those numbers are asking, 'How do you know your reason is at fault and not many other reasons/factors?'

They cant say why. Its that bad,

• Swampoffering
    Swampoffering Member Posts: 384

It increased a bit just for hype, as every licensed chapter does.

The people realized this is another trash D tier killer and stop playing It.

This week and Next one Wil be a little increase due to Sadako and last tome Page, but wait untill march end and look stats.

But that is on Steam, I can guarantee that on Xbox the playerbase is almost done, in the last 4 Months LFG app died like a 70-75%. On November there was like +500 LFG post, now is 90-120 a good day so imagine the amount of people that quitted this time on Xbox.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Mm.

To my mind:

• Grind.
    • Incredibly unfriendly ingame community, with devs that all but endorse 'smack talk'.
    • Steep learning curve.
    • SBMM pooping the bed in too many matches.

All contribute to a game that has a dedicated core of veterans and streamers, but with problems attracting and retaining newer players. This contributes to the SBMM issues, as there simply aren't enough new players to put up against other new players.

I'm...not sure if there's an easy fix here.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443

Can't check anything else therefore all we have to go on. It shows DBD is hemorrhaging players

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994

Man. You people and youre dbd is dying threads.

Imma simplify why dbd didnt get a huge bump compared to other dlcs. You may wanna sit down for this because it will blow your mind. Ready?

Other more popular games came out. I.e elden ring. So a lot of people are playing that atm.

I know what youre thinking. "Wha other games? But the glory of dbd. This is why its dying." Sorry but other games exist. Doesnt mean dbd is dying.

• Emeal

Sure, if you got an argument I have not heard before, go nuts.

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,451

I never get bored of this game and play it everyday, that's just me.

• ElleGreen
    ElleGreen Member Posts: 1,063

I agree with everything you said and having to wait 3 months for the same content and having to grind for perks is so old the perks all do the same thing theres never any creativity this new chapter proved that and the game is just stale we need new game modes

• Emeal

So instead of giving up on a poor data, you want to engage in a fallacy and declare it ' therefore all we have to go on. '

I also heard a girl on twitter describe it as 'the best available data', heard it before been there.

But also you are wrong, You can start your own poll and seek out the community, its up to you to make a good study tho.

• Emeal

Show me how you know this for sure. if you cant show it, you really should not advocating such assumptions.

I certainly dont hope you are saying its accurate because you cant see why it would not be true too. cause that would be a second fallacy.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443

You are absolutely having a laugh 🤣 😂 😆 You think getting data here as part of a poll is better than the steam data??? Come on

• Emeal
    edited March 2022

😁 Have you tried? You dont know until you try. 😂

• Killing_Time
    Killing_Time Member Posts: 894

I hate to say it but I hope they take a blow like what happened to my beloved battlefield. You've heard about 2042?

• Emeal

I certainly hope you poll for something that actually shows you are correct, instead of concurrent averages and peaks numbers.

• Emeal

No, I dont want you to waste your time with a poll, I said you could If you wanted too. But it would be a waste of time because BHVR already has access to much better data and they are taking decisions now which will take time to develop. These threads are a waste of our time cause they only indicate gripes that people have with the game, which I would be very surprised BHVR didn't already know the lot of.

I have had these sorts of discussions with people here, twitter, discord etc now many times. I cant be asked to write more about it.

Come back to me when you stop making assumptions and have some data to back your beliefs, instead of relying on 'number go down bad'

• herbaljellyfish
    herbaljellyfish Member Posts: 115

You mean "Escaped Based Match Making". Skill is not calculated, just escapes. And length of match?(Apparently)

• Emeal
    edited March 2022

Occam's razor is not a general rule for logical arguments.

Google can help us.

Post edited by Emeal on