Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Faced my first all in head popper pig

pseudechis
pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

So I faced what people call "afk pig" and lo and behold my number came up, first time yeah, I couldn't open the box and my head went pop after 2 gens.

Until that point of futility I was really stressing trying to find a box to get that trap off before the timer went. It was tense and a lot of fun.

When everyone else got theirs off and I knew I was boned I went to the nearest gen and I finished as much as a I could before the skull crunch.

I stuck around to watch the match, pig got 1 more kill, 1 DC when NOED procced and 1E after a couple of good chases.

Other than the DC no one else got pissy about it and there were GG's all round and a few post game laughs.

This is called being a good sport and it was refreshing to have a positive post game experience given the typical levels of salty man baby in the DBD community.

This is also the first time I've ever felt under pressure to get the head trap off which made the game really intense.

I enjoyed it so much I had to give it a go myself. Got one head pop, 1 DC on NOED down, 1 sac and 1E same as my survivor game, uncanny I know. One guy was a lil salty but after some jovial back and forth seemed to come around.

Game still plays out as 3 gens done for one kill so is pretty much the same as a standard game of DBD lately. Only its far less sweaty to play as killer in that you don't have to commit to chases until the last half of the match.

People say its braindead but whomever figured this one out I tip my hat to great manipulation of the mechanics in a really creative way. Gonna sink some BP's into pig and get my fill before they patch this one out, gotta get blood warden on her for the full EGC play. Finally have a reason to play her.

I already know people are gonna hate on this post but to them I say stop being a bad sport.

Comments

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Yeah, fun is always a skill issue... if someone can't have fun, that just means he is bad at having fun.

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069

I like this post

• pseudechis

I got 4x head pops I'm so happy :)

On the game map too, it was just meant to be.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270

Honestly I like this name for the meme playstyle instead of "afk" pig from now on I'm calling the "afk" pig playstyle the all in pig

• KajdanKi
    KajdanKi Member Posts: 219
    edited March 2022

Every aspect in this game is rng:

• - skill of other survs
    • - killer skill
    • - type of map you get (surv/killer sided)
    • - mentality

Sime will rage quit being dumb and getting insta down. others will focus one surv and lose all gens and call it gen rush. Sone people try to make this game "fair" which will never be.

Afk pig is same tactic as insi bubba or mirror myers or whatever other build is.

This game has no ranking at all anymore so why ppl still care?

• pseudechis

I'll second that because I've never gone afk playing this way.

The point is it really bad game design? Over reliance on random outcome often isn't a strong design but games play out pretty much the same. Also makes a poorly designed slowdown the head traps into an actual threatening thing, which I found enjoyable.

People only think its poor design within the expectation that the game should be played one way, looping and chasing. People also get very emotional when something other than that gets played. This was me preempting that emotion. Your head can pop due to RNG and you can still laugh it off and be a good sport about it, that's the great thing about games.

Yeah this is what I'm talking about, it can be played around, sad thing is in this example Mr head pop wasn't a good sport. Played some kill your friends the other day and we tried to play around head pop pig. 99 the gens then try the cages one with a trap still on tries for the hatch but usually doesn't make it. Still fun though.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Your teammates could of given you a chance by 99% gens and have you try finding the hatch at endgame. Shame that some people don't think though.

• pseudechis
    edited March 2022

There are still chases they are just part of the endgame.

Finding it dull is different from getting pissy about dying.

You can say I didn't think that was much fun because I prefer chases that's fine.

I don't always prefer chases as many chases involve just running around the same rock 6 times, its just as dull and mindless in my opinion but another player isn't trash or scum or toxic just because they do that.

There is a culture of "I didn't think this was fun = opponent is scumbag trying to ruin my game" that persists in this community, that's being a bad sport, and yeah if people get pissy about all in pig and want to insult others about it then that's what people are being.

Folks are welcome to say I don't think its fun and that's fair. Given the RNG nature of it and the potential to guarantee 1 kill they will probably patch it out or make access to the box rotational like they did with hooks and these will be good changes from a game health perspective.

In the meantime you are probably gonna face people giving it a go and its best to just be a good sport about it like anything in this game. I personally found it fun to face because I couldn't get the trap off and that made me desperate to find a box, when I realized I couldn't I just tried to finish a gen ASAP before I went pop for the points, as I said first time I ever felt the trap was a threat to me. I hope if they patch this out they buff pigs traps because really they are just a gimmick that give very little game value.

I'd recommend giving it a go yourself while its still a thing.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

"The point is it really bad game design?"

Absolutely. Creating a scenario where, from the very beginning of the game, one or more players are guaranteed to die with literally zero way to change that or zero control over it is the pinnacle of bad game design.

• pseudechis

You aren’t guaranteed to die. There is just a very high chance one of you will.

There are all the same elements of the game present with the high stakes gamble that one or more of you may be screwed.

It’s a high stakes game of chance of which many exist and is not directly representative of bad game design.

It could only be considered bad design within the very narrow confines of what people expect from a game of DBD, which is an equal chance to escape or die. It’s far from the “pinnacle of bad design.”

I like the fact that some scenarios make it hopeless zero sum as it’s threatening and very on theme.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,530

No hate from me - well done!

It is funny - people sometimes take the game waaayyy too serious.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

I would argue that it is really bad design because there isn't any skill involved. The killer doesn't have to do anything and survivors can't do anything. People have made the comparison with Bubba facecamping which is true to a point but at least in that scenario, there has to be a chase first.

If you find it enjoyable and such that's all well and good, more power to ya.

I just don't think this 'strat' is one that is healthy for the game and subjectively I personally don't find it particularly fun to both use or go against.

• pseudechis

That’s fine if you don’t like it, I just think it’s a shame that people will complain and it will probably be patched out on the basis of those complaints and those of us that do enjoy it from time to time will have to go back to every game being the same chase loop hook repeat.

It is a pretty lazy way to play but that’s kinda nice because usually if you want lazy you play survivor.

I think people get to hung up on skill in this game. Most of what people would call skill is often just luck.

There is a point in most chases where a 50/50 mind game gamble takes place, people usually chalk it up to skill but it’s really just luck.

It’s a very human condition to attribute our success to our own skill but most of life is made up of favourable random chance. You can make good decisions and leverage good luck, that’s skill but it often takes that lil bit of favourable random chance too.

All in pig is an example of unfavourable random chance which we often get very upset about because we feel cheated by it. Still it doesn’t matter because it’s only a game, so the goal is not to take it too seriously and see what you can do before your head pops.

• Brokenbones
    edited March 2022

I think it should be patched out not because it's 'unfun/boring' but because it's a strat that actively takes any form of agency a player has away. Pig's RNG on a base level might be unfair at times but at least you know what to do better next time, don't get caught and don't get a trap on your head.

There's no such lesson with this. Your point about "skill = luck" might very well be true, but to me it doesn't change the fact that at least as a player you have agency. There are things you can do about it or things you can learn for next time.

I don't want to get into like the maths or stats of the strat, I just want to use an example to show what I mean

You spawn in with a headtrap and you as the killer just so happen to block the box for me and another survivor. There is no scenario where we can do anything about this, one of us has to die with no input from the killer.

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815

That's not a Head-popper Pig, that's AFK Pig. Head-popper Pig is when your goal is getting all your kills with hats.

• pseudechis

Its been colectively decided to call it "all in pig" Because you put all your play into one thing which is the box you choose.

AFK pig is just diminuatively dismissive as most people doing it aint AFK.

• pseudechis

I take your point but what I'm saying is it doesn't matter if you lose that agency because it doesn't really matter in the first place. Its only a game afterall.

One very niche scenario that has a gurenteed death isn't game breaking and to feel cheated by that rare scenario by a loss of agency is just taking this stuff to seriously.

Play it out your head goes pop have a laugh and queue up again maybe if you get it a second time your head won't pop again it doesn't matter.

You'd swear losing in DBD meant you died in real life the way people act over it sometimes.

• Brokenbones
    edited March 2022

I get what you're saying but BHVR clearly wants people to take the game seriously when they add in things such as SBMM, a system that is being used to predict the outcomes of matches and measure people's 'skill'. Whether the system works well or not is beside the point

A game doesn't implement an MMR system because it wants players to not take their games seriously, which is why I think if that's direction BHVR wants to take the game then stuff like AFK pig doesn't have a place because like I said before it removes player agency and there's no 'skill' involved with it.

And I know the whole "kills = skill" argument will likely crop up and I don't agree with how the system works, but rather the intention behind adding SBMM/MMR in the first place is to in theory keep matches fairer or balanced which I don't think anyone would say AFK pig is.

Player agency also does matter in the long run because it's one of the things that keeps people playing. They feel like what they do/how they play has a tangible impact on a match.

Look at the complaints around DH and NOED, people clearly care when they feel like their agency is taken from them by these perks.

It's just DH and NOED are more widespread, popular and effective overall. I guarantee if AFK pig was a massively widespread thing, I'm talking seeing one every 5 games or something like that it wouldn't seem like this small niche thing that it's made out to be.

• pseudechis

Yeah but I don't hold it against them not everyone knows.

Some friends of mine were chatting about it and we tried a few cutom games eventually we got to the 99 the gens and try for hatch, you gotta get it in time though.

Its intense running for the hatch while your head beeps faster and faster. Got so close twice.

• pseudechis

I'll concede that player agency matters in the long run from an overall game perspective.

But if there are a few specific scenarios that remove it, that require a specific set up that aren't a core game mechanics overall, then its hardly game breaking.

If suffering that once in a while is too much for people then that's an over the top level of seriousness.

• Brokenbones

You are completely right in saying it's not a very common thing. Or it wasn't, until content creators started popularising it - that's another problem on its own.

Calling AFK pig a specific set up is a bit of an overstatement if you ask me though, you slap on an ultra-rare addon then stand still infront of something, it's not exactly asking much of the player.

• pseudechis

I don't mean its effort to set up, rather you bring the specific addons and pair them with specific perks to maximise downs once you get the head pop. Its like insidious bubba there is a specific set up for it and its kinda obvious once you see it, its very low effort though.

I'm sure there are people who would sit there all game and not even bother chasing in the endgame or even moving, genuine afk pig, but so far most of what I've seen is get one head pop then play out an endgame build for the 3-4k.

This is a very shallow pool to draw from there's about 10 vids, a few comments sections in places and my own game against it to build off which is really not a great representation.

I'm sure there are some bot farmer types out there who would just repeatedly afk and farm points doing nothing for 12 hours a day, but you'd run out of addons before you got any real gains because unless you play out the endgame and get the extra kills you are spending 9000 BP's in addons to get barely 4000 points back. So it aint great farming if genuinely afk.

Given that I don't think it'l catch on as some exploitable afk point farm, what you'll get is someone builds for it, its kinda obvious when they do and you just do what you can in game banking on it not being you who can't get the trap off.

Or if playing in a team then switch it up, 99 the gens and see if you can finish all the gens and hatch out before the trap goes off or the pig wakes up and gets you. Some highstakes endgame fun.

If your head pops then laugh it off because sometimes it aint fair and that's not so terrible.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

It's just a game, none of it matters bro, stop being such a whiner! Why should it be fun or engaging or have my input matter at all when I draw the short straw?

• pseudechis
  • brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Nah.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited March 2022

I don't mean that if the Pig does this, you will die. I mean that if the Pig does this, it is possible to create a scenario where you die regardless of what you do

It is indeed the pinnacle of bad design because it creates scenarios where your input in the entire game can be 100% invalidated with no say in the matter. As far as game design sins go, it does not get much worse than "your agency as a player has no meaning." While DBD as a whole definitely has its share of problems, none of the elements of DBD (or Saw) are present in the scenarios where AFK Pig is in play and she's sitting in front of your box. You can't out maneuver anything or out-strategize anything or make any sort of meaningful choices that influence your play. Either your team knows exactly how to counterplay this strategy and just employs a series of steps that successfully does so, or they don't and you die. Or someone else also needs the same box in which case it does not matter because someone is going to die. It's no better than an add-on that renders any number of players unable to move for ten minutes or a perk that has a chance of automatically causing the Exit Gates to open at the very start and a chance to permanently stay closed. I can't imagine how "being allowed to make meaningful choices" can be considered a narrow view of what to expect from DBD when that's the baseline expectation from most games as a whole.

• pseudechis

One very specific scenario that creates a hopeless situation is not a disaster.

A base game element that created that scenario across multiple games or every game would be bad design, hence rotational unhooks because everyone could genuinely facecamp and deny gameplay by making it impossible to unhook.

Having a hopeless game once in a while isn't a terrible thing, as I said its a high stakes game of chance and you may lose out. When that happens the goal is to farm up what you can before you die. You aren't denied game experience only the chance of escape. The narrow view comes from the expectation that every game should be chase - hook - chase - hook - chase - hook, that just one way to play the game.

There is a work around to it, you have to apply teamwork and 99 the gens then pop them in quick succession so the trapped person can hatch out. Its very high stakes we managed it once and it was a lot of fun to try and do. I got so close to the hatch on my last attempt, so close.

I'm sorry but a sense of loss of agency or inability to make meaningful choices is way to melodramatic for what we are describing.

Lamenting the loss of license over meaningful gameplay rather than trying to make the most of it is really just taking this stuff too seriously.

You're describing this like you've been made stateless or something. Its a video game not an existential reason to exist.

• pseudechis

I've burned all the offerings I have, the fun is over for now.

Never got more than 1 head pop from blocking alone in all attempts, (even the 4 pop game was 1 from blocking, 3x endgame they never took em off even after I started chasing, I'm not sure why).

Never got more than 1 head pop from blocking that is except for the very last game.

2 pops for one box at 4 gens, I promised myself I wouldn't cry hrrrmmm.

I'm glad I brought the build too because the last two survivors were epic good, I tip my hat to them they got from 4 gens to 1 gen before I got one to second hook state.

Awesome chases, these guys were way better than me, if I hadn't got the two head pops then there is no way I'd probably get any kills that game. Fortunately it was down to one after last gen and I got the 4th EGC down.

I really wanted to let him go but I also kinda wanted the second BBQ stack after getting the double pop. Its not a great strat for making BP's nor should it be really, its kinda lazy.

After 17 games I think I've got my fill. The best part about all this was the, good sport to salt ratio Most people could laugh it off and move on only 3 of 17 games had angry bad sports, 6 games had no chat at all so we can't count em.

It makes me happy to see people not have a meltdown about a game and take it as just the silly bit of fun that it is. Props to all of them.