The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why I believe Trickster Was a Mistake For This Game

He's simply too modern. You have all these old school killers and dbd is generally a rustic feeling type horror game, and out of no where this k pop killer drops and he has a futuristic bat that makes laser sounds and throwing knives. Trickster just doesn't fit the game at all imo. He's a cool concept but ruined the feeling of the game.

A dev must of been a bts/k-pop fan.

Comments

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

I find him scary looking or at least on par with some of the other killers. And I am not a fan of kpop or whatever.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

He was further a mistake because he doesn’t have any tricks. Ricocheting blades don’t count. Wish he was never added.

• Waterfall
    Waterfall Member Posts: 202

I think he’s fine I’m not a K-pop fan but I actually find him more unnerving than some other killers who should appearance wise be scarier. It’s the first killer I find scary based on his gruesome lore and just how he’s the most believable killer just a psycho someone like that can exist irl.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

I somewhat agree.

I thought he was a bit cliche personally and with all the cool cultural monsters they can draw inspiration from throughout asia, they went with hey K-pop is popular this could be an in to a very large gaming market.

It is a little bit ergh.

But he's here to stay with his lil glow bat and sparkle knives, so you just play it out and move on to the next game like anything else, it doesn't really matter in the long run.

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890

I mean we got Oni, Onryo, Spirit already. I think a super villain is fine. People complaining about immersion clearly must forget about all the dwelfs and other meme costumes the survivors have. It's not any worse than those, and it's not like anyone is immersed who has played the game a long time.

I guess he is the Draven of DBD? Though Executioner makes a better glorious executioner than him, lol.

• pseudechis

True.

My general dislike of the character doesn't invalidate anyone else's like of him.

I just like the gritty 80's horror feel of DBD. The survivors can be bright and sparkly because they represent the hopeful victims but the killers are dark and gritty and I like that.

Ol mr sparkles is kinda jarring to an aesthetic I appreciate about the game.

• GlutenFreeIceCubes
    GlutenFreeIceCubes Member Posts: 11

This argument has a lot of flaws and I don't understand why it's still being brought up,

1. A bright neon killer doesn't fit, but an elephant does? A bunny costume does? Christmas themed pajamas? Bloody bunnies [no disrespect to Robbie ofc]? Point is a lot of things don't fit in this game and yet they're accepted. Nobody complained about the Dwelf's or the Shirtless David meme squads.
    2. Fear is different for everybody. Almost every killer has been altered to fit the Entity and Trickster has been untouched simply because he kills and enjoys doing it. He feels real. I can actually picture a bright manipulative murderer throwing knives at me to harvest my screams for his music more than I can picture an invisible wraith-like creature.

While I do enjoy Plague, Huntress and Legion for being throwbacks to the past, I find that the Devs took advantage of a popular topic and turned it into something that could fit their game.

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890

Whenever they release blighted trickster is when I will start playing him alot more.

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019

A homicidal k-pop star is ######### original and BHVR nailed it. Maybe his playstyle could be adjusted but his design is well-done.

• GlutenFreeIceCubes
    GlutenFreeIceCubes Member Posts: 11

To be fair it's called "God of Desire" and he desires...himself.

I main Trickster and can agree with you that the design sucks. I love the arrow in the heart thing [a ref to Cupid who was reeeallllly self absorbed irrc, this whole skin is based off of the Eros and Apollo legends I believe] but the hair...blegh.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Dr, Professor Fun here to remind you it should be ‘whose’ and ‘it’s’ in this sentence! 🤓

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

If his esthetic fits dbd or not is a very personal thing I think. I like his style and I like that he is just a guy. No overly tragic backstory that wouldn't happen in real life just a guy that likes to kill. But what I hate is how often you see people argue about him and saying stuff like: oh I would sucker punch that twink through the roof. Sure you are a manly man and you feel attacked by a man that is more feminine we get it

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

The best thing about Trickster is that every time he hooks you he goes to his locker to reload. He'll say something and if you have subtitles it'll translate to English in a box of text.

So when you get hooked the third time and you're floating towards the sky you see a little text box pop up (from Trickster reloading his knives) and it'll say 'Alright!'.

I think I've laughed every time it has happened.

• pseudechis
  • pseudechis

Grammar granpa too, you're just all kinds of fun :)

Oh well auto correct will make fools of us all sometimes and Its not my dissertation so I don't really care in this setting.

Also you can call me Dr. too, I have the degree to go with the title ;)

• Adaez
    Adaez Member Posts: 1,239

Better than Artist by far.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

For me, their characters design overall are really good, but Trickster's power is just so disappointed. Who in charge of making a Huntress that does less damage but faster throwing?

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069

Only mistake about him was his name - Trickster.

Cmon

• espooked
    espooked Member Posts: 465

do go on

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13 Member Posts: 181

He always just came across as kind of a Joker knock-off, but that's just me.

• SmarulKusia
    SmarulKusia Member Posts: 819

With the right cosmetic, i think hes the scariest tbh bc there's been multiple times where i didnt react to the trickster bc i thought he was a survivor

• FrostyEyesSusie
    FrostyEyesSusie Member Posts: 421

I know what you mean but for the record I've got to say lore-wise the NTT buffs up weaker killers and nerfs stronger ones, which is why a highschool girl like Susie can do things like break reinforced pallets with a couple of kicks or easily carry an obese Mexican lady on her shoulders.

The NTT literally makes killers impervious to damage.

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 810

I'm just sad that we didn't get the lobby background as a map, I think it would have been really cool.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564

I know that, i still don't like him design and power.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

Gonna have to agree with the majority here- Trickster fits stunningly well into Dead by Daylight. Horror exists in more forms than visually grimy slasher movies, and the game had started branching out into that already- nobody complains about Blight despite him being just as much of a departure from the supposed standard, nor did they complain about Demogorgon. Both of those are as far away from Trapper as Trickster is, so clearly it's not just that he isn't an 80s slasher.

His personality fits too. People say over and over they want Robert Englund's version of Freddy Krueger and he's orders of magnitudes more campy than Trickster is.

I find people really can't get over just that he has a bright looking coat, and that's a little disappointing to me. Trickster's concept, aesthetic and lore are all fantastic but people can't engage because he isn't visually dark enough, and that's kind of a shame.

There was one mistake, though. He should've been called The Showstopper, and his power should've been called something else. Trickster fits the lore, but doesn't fit the power.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,736

Give us an All-Kill themed map and a full kit rework for Trickster and that chapter goes from pretty decent to Demise Of The Faithful level of superb.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

This.

Trickster represents that some people are completely insane in the head yet they look like normal people and can be anybody around you. Trickster has by far the best tome lore as it shows him as both deceptive and intelligent while looking like a completely normal performer.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

He's about as scary as box of matches

• ItsJesseFFS
    ItsJesseFFS Member Posts: 100

Personally, I think Twins is a huge mistake for this game.

• Sludge
    Sludge Member Posts: 768
    edited March 2022

Trickster is the worst concept/design/aesthetic ever

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,702

It never bothered me much that he didn’t necessarily fit in the game as a k-pop character, I just think his entire power was a mistake. It’s just boring and a worse version of huntress, both to play and to play against.

• Tricksters_Wife
    Tricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545

Was ready to type a paragraph to defend my husband but I think everyone else explained it quite well as to why I think realistically he's one of the scariest killers despite his flashy design.

• Okonar_
    Okonar_ Member Posts: 499

Oh yeah, so scary a killer who looks like he can get his ass beat by david + half of the male survivor cast 😂

• SimpingPapaya
    SimpingPapaya Member Posts: 28

Trickster is the reason I keep coming back to play this game lol

• Wendygo
    Wendygo Member Posts: 114

But what about a box of matches next to a gasoline tank?

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Matches are dangerous, its the person using them 😉

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

It's ok to have modern characters in this game. Yes, he's not like the other killers, but that's what makes him unique. He looks like a normal dude which can be scary to some people (and it feels more realistic, tbh). Granted, his power was poorly designed but concept wise he's fine.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

You can think that if you want, but you have to realise that not every homicidal person is some big, dark, traditionally "scary" individual. He's a welcome addition to the killer roster in my eyes.

• mynameisBlade
    mynameisBlade Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2022

Seeing them add a Killer like The Trickster should honestly get everyone ready for FNAF making its way in WHEN it does (not if). FNAF will be in the game someday. It makes too much sense business wise and BHVR is just that...a business. Trickster was not scary or thematically fitting to someone like me and to many people Springtrap won't be either, but I guarantee you the devs don't GAF what people like me think about Trickster or what people like "FNAF haters" think about FNAF. If it will make them money, they're going to do it.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I'm honest enough to admit I don't like his design because I really dislike K-Pop.

We already got a punky grunge Killer with Legion so I mostly stay quiet.

• CharaTheOperator
    CharaTheOperator Member Posts: 10

This argument is pretty silly. I'm fairly confident David could clock out Amanda/Pig too. Yet I haven't seen anybody make threads about how Pig is a dumb Killer.