The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Rare W for BHVR and the matchmaking tests

Leachy_Jr
Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

I thought I was reading a bait post for a second because this is just so correct? I'm not used to matchmaking updates that have factual information including statements that have clearly been gathered from the community.

idk who managed the MM tests and who gathered feedback but they've done a hell of a good job understanding what the community experienced and in turn what the community wants.

I mean, I can let the hockey analogy slide now tbh.

Comments

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

That's true but I think that is more to do with in game mechanics that need adjusting rather than MMR. Hopefully a more relaxed MMR system incentivises people to bring more chill perks and we can see less double range nurses or 2 CoH + 4 DH.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744

I'd hope so but something tells me that's just not gonna happen I fear even the mid skill players will convert to the meta tbh.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

They didn't even show the kill rates from test 2 after admitting they dropped.

• mischiefmanaged
    mischiefmanaged Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 374

I'm curious if they just gave up on bidirectional matchmaking. I looked back at my comments and it seems I had the most fairly balanced matches on days when bidirectional matchmaking was enabled. It seems like having bidirectional matchmaking be forced on for some time until it times out would help prevent someone being pulled into an unbalanced match when they haven't waited a long time.

• Mozic
    Mozic Member Posts: 601

I had a distinct feeling on some days that I was being shipped 'up the curve' to slake the appetites of the 10,000k hour SWF squad type players who, without upper-middle folks like me, would never see matches. Those matches aren't really my favorite, but if lowering the MMR ceiling and creating a sort of "Thunderdome" area in the MMR will give them more matches it's less likely those matches will be against me, so that's a win!

I'm pretty happy with these changes overall. I think the most egregious thing they needed to train the system to avoid is pairing new players vs. people with 5x-10x their playtime. Getting viciously stomped early in your DBD career is an easy way to never play again, and we need to make the game welcoming to them!

TBD after I play with the changes, but if it truly does allow for more variety I'll be overjoyed to bring sillier tools and less meta killers without feeling doomed to only getting players who don't share my sense of humor.

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500

Actually not. If you read the feedback for every single day, or better yet, have played during the MMR test days, you'll notice that the changes made the SBMM system even more of a wretched torture than it already was. Now they are just going to permanently muck it up.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

This post was already running long as is, so we couldn't add full details on everything (a lot of the stats aren't super noteworthy). But that said, I don't believe we talked about kill rates at all in test 2, unless I'm mistaken. Do you mean test 1? If so, the top end climb to about 70% to give you an idea. We saw a difference of as much as 10% depending on the skill range.

• _AdamFrancis_
    _AdamFrancis_ Member Posts: 698

L + Ratio

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,846

Maybe you can. From my understanding, lowering the cap means that the absolute best dbd player ever is considered to be in the same mmr group as an average player that just barely reaches the cap. Is that correct?

• Mozic
    Mozic Member Posts: 601

Oh, that's even more exciting for me! I might occasionally play consistently well enough to crawl up to that "really good players" point, but with the reduced range I may even be middling enough to fly under the radar of those folks - no malice towards them, but woof! I will never be their equal.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,846
  • moonwinx
    moonwinx Member Posts: 51

Would it be possible to get a clarification on what insanely good and really good players are, and then where we are in relation to them. I know that there are people who are not keen on the idea of showing what player's ranking are, but I honestly think it would help me out a lot. I will have a game where I dominate, and then the next game get dominated, I would really like to be able to compare the rankings of the people I went against. I would also like to see my own ranking, and be able to know if I was actually getting better or if I am getting worse, but also being paired with worse player, if that makes sense.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,659

Are there statistics for the high end survivors? You told us the top end of killers climb to about 70%, but what about the top end of survivors? Were they at a 70% escape rate?

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

The escape rates are the opposite of kill rates. For example, if the average kill rate is 70% in the absolute highest end, the escape rate is 30%.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

While I’m still not a fan of MMR as a whole the fact that they are willing to do tests like this is encouraging to the future of such a system

• Cythe
    Cythe Member Posts: 5

It's odd to me that they found two very distinct groups of people....yet the solution isn't doing what many other Multiplayer games do and just have a Ranked and Non-Ranked matchmaking Q?

Even the more competitive streamer people don't always wanna go hard 100% of the time, sometime you just want to meme about and use fun builds. So having two different places to q would be good? And then you run into a SWF on comms with all meta perks that aren't having any of it. (or vice-versa with some fun survs who run into a competative killer).

Like....why hasn't a ranked/unranked system been tried? Give rewards/incentives/higher BP rewards for the ranked system to reward people for serious play and reduced for just messing about to possibly discourage non-ranked bullying. And yes....I know I KNOW before I get a bunch of replies that there will still be people who "sweat" or do non-fun things in an unranked environment to get easier games....but it should significantly reduce the amount of times people trying to have fun run into competitive people compared to the current system..not eliminate it entirely.

And if this has been discussed at length elsewhere, and I should go look there, I apologize. Just my thought on the current subject.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,659

Sorry about that; I didn’t realize this was talking about average rates across an MMR range. I thought it was more like “the killers with the highest kill rates averaged to 70%”.

The reason I asked was because that day I saw some killer streamers that had a super inflated kill rate, but it also seemed like some of the SWF streamers had a super inflated escape rate.

• Persephone_
    Persephone_ Member Posts: 157

I don't feel the conclusion really touches on the core of the problem.

As survivor in particular, the current system thinks I'm very low-skilled as I don't play selfish. I have spent quite a bit of time stuck in low-MMR-hell, because I die a lot with my playstyle - I take chases, I try to save in EGC, try to cleanse NOED and save the last person, even if everyone else has left etc. Sometimes it pays off but I also die often, especially so as I get paired with people that do not know to bodyblock when rescued with BT near an open exit gate. 😭 I also find that I have been dying on first hook more than I used to before the skill-based system was introduced as I'm basically stuck in a loop where I'm the only one running the killer but eventually they will catch up with me, my teammates don't pop gens and are too scared to come and rescue. So my MMR goes down.

Now the system will supposedly be tighter, so I will be further down that spiral and I don't see how this conclusion will improve the experience for people that play altruistic in solo queue and hence die/MMR goes down.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

Nothing will change basically as long as it stays in the game

• latigresa
    latigresa Member Posts: 88

People say this often but the system doesn't evaluate skill. It simply measures survival. It should be Survival based matchmaking.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

When are the changes coming in?

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,206

Survivor skill is a tricky subject for a lot of people. Some would say chase is the only survivor skill there is. And then you see survivors at the absolute highest levels of play who hold W and pre-drop every pallet. Their positioning and game sense is immaculate, but they don't really "loop" anything unless the situation calls for it.

So then the problem becomes: how are you grading survivor skill if not by escapes? If you weight chase too heavily, you end up devaluing extremely important things like objective efficiency and game sense. BP? That would heavily favor altruism for the sake of altruism. But a consistently high escape rate is usually going to involve a mix of good chases, good decision-making, and efficiency. It's simple, but it works in most cases.

• Suspecm
    Suspecm Member Posts: 6

The only thing left to do now is to stop incentevising face camping for killers :) Literally had 5(!) games where I was placed on the hook and the killer never moved further than a few meters from me. How am I supposed to shoot goals in hockey if the goalkeeper is literally sitting on top of me?

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

I am glad to hear that grades in the end game scoreboard will be removed. Hopefully then players will start understanding they don't directly corollate to skill or your SBMMR.

and

"These include making Survivor ratings team based rather than personal (so dying heroically to save everyone else isn’t as punishing) and improvements to backfilling lobbies to prevent players from outside of the acceptable range from being pulled in."

I hope this line means that SBMMR will start to be determined based on how well you perform in game, rather than just Kills/Escapes.

• Persephone_
    Persephone_ Member Posts: 157

Oh, yes, you are absolutely right. However, that not what BHVR are calling it and as long as it's supposed to be skill-based, the escape factor is the major flaw in the system. That's what I was trying to illustrate. I also don't feel like I'm alone in being a "semi-skilled survivor" (not saying I'm a god looper) stuck in MMR hell. I seem to see quite a few comments like this and I remember ScottJund even made a video on this and it really reflected my experiences so well.

Ironically, the current system does work better for me on the killer-side and I am going to assume my killer MMR is significantly higher than my survivor MMR, whilst try to go for 12 hooks/11 hooks+hatch (ideal-case scenario). I'm better on some killers but I seemed to average two kills across the board when I recorded it for a while in the beginning of this year.

• Bladeisbest
    Bladeisbest Member Posts: 308

I honestly think you guys get your hopes up way too quickly. I can't really blame you though as we are starved of transparency and information most of the year.

• GenJockeyNance
    GenJockeyNance Member Posts: 687

These are my games in a nutshell as I too, do not have a selfish playstyle.

• Cythe
    Cythe Member Posts: 5

All fair points!

Thank you very very much for taking the time to reply to that! <3

Either way, I hope the solutions y'all come up with work out! I know SBMM is the big hated on subject at the moment and many have touted as the reason behind the large hemorrhage of player base. So the fact that y'all are testing, changing, and taking the time to talk to us is a BIG sign of hope for me at least. Love this game and I wish the utmost success, even when I get frustrated with it! Lol. Good luck, and see you in the fog.

• Sludge
    Sludge Member Posts: 768
    edited April 2022

Lowering the soft cap was the opposite of what should be done, I don't know why you're happy about this unless you enjoy stacked 4man SWF games or meta Nurses.

The goal seems clear, protect brand new players and make sure the bully squads don't have to wait in queue too long.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

One thing I did not see mentioned was how the MMR tests handled groups. Did groups experience a higher than normal wait time on some tests but not others? Did games with SWF members in them experience a significantly higher-than-normal victory rate on some tests more than others? Were SWF groups more common in the upper end of the MMR curve than the lower?

I ask because I'm not entirely sure how SBMM actually works for groups. If one person has a top-end score and their partner a bottom-end score, are those just averaged? Is the highest value used? Are any secondary factors considered, like the number of people in the SWF team?

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719

As soon as you brought up hockey , you guaranteed that you would not get a response from BHVR. lol

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Eh, whenever logic is based on a fallacy, I become very skeptical about it. But honestly, it doesn't matter to me, I was never one to whine about mmr. And I didn't really complain about how rigged the game was for new players when I joined and got matched against red rank swfs either.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

You could've, I promise we don't mind it being longer if we get to see actual statistics

• gilgamer

I dont really think it'll change anything. The problem is people in the high end that all use meta perks and try their best to win. That's why there's no variety in matches, it's not just getting different people but wanting to see different perks and the meta is so much stronger then everything else that you feel the need to use them to have any chance at an enjoyable experience

• Piruluk
    Piruluk Member Posts: 995

But meta always will be there, if you change anything the next strongest takes its place. Meta exists no matter what

• gilgamer

Yes a meta will always be there but the problem is the meta is too good in this game. That's why most of the same perks have been meta for years at this point and why there is so little variation. With each side having maybe 1 or 2 perks that can be swapped out for depending on the killer you are playing or the map you send yourself too. Everything else just makes you feel like your intentionally crippling yourself just to play something different. Plus having the same meta for so long is another problem and makes it feel all the more stale. It's okay and good for a games lifespan to absolutely murder some perks and buff other perks to the moon to intentionally change the meta every once in awhile but bhvr is too scared to do it for some reason.

• Piruluk
    Piruluk Member Posts: 995

I wouldnt like the change, I love dbd the way it is now

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882

I loved the post BHVR did today. This is what I'd like to see more of moving forward. Personally, I see good things coming out of these tests and I hope they continue making tests to make this game more fun for newer players. As a veteran, I'm already locked in the game, but they need to retain new players so making it more fair for them (both sides) will hopefully increase player retention.

One thing I hope they address soon is the grind. That's one of the things new players complain about and rightfully so. It's a huge time sink.

• gilgamer

Okay well then we've come to an impasse cause I literally can't play the game anymore.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

So, the question is, will I be able to actually play the game as Killer and Solo Q Survivor?

I don't much enjoy feeling stressed out of my mind as Killer, nor do I enjoy being tunneled/face camped as Survivor.