Why Camping, Tunneling, and Slugging Is Fair

So as someone who actively plays killer, I always get survivors complaining about getting camped, slugged, or tunneled. So here I am explaining why both of them are fair.

Firstly, camping, slugging, and tunnelling is a playstyle. Yes, they can be annoying playstyles, but so can gen-rushing and sabotaging, which are also playstyles. If survivors can gen rush and/or run annoying sabo builds, why can't killers slug, camp or tunnel?

Secondly, they are both necessary in some situations. Camping, slugging, and tunnelling at 1-2 gens is a must if you haven't sacrificed any survivors yet. Slugging slows down the game, which can be helpful on the killers end and eliminating at least one survivor out of the match is top priority at that point.

And thirdly, camping, slugging, and tunnelling is easily counterable. If a killer is camping, rush gens. If a killer is tunneling, rush gens and/or bring DS or other anti-tunnel perks/builds. If a killer is slugging, rush gens and go help your teammates up when you think they are close to being fully recovered.

Yes, they are annoying playstyles, but they are perfectly fine and fair. Survivors can have annoying playstyles, killers can have annoying playstyles and all of them are perfectly fine.

Comments

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889
    edited April 2022

If i play my high MMR killers i'm kinda forced to play like this. Survivors will do EVERYTHING to beat me, they will abuse every of my mistakes, they won't stop doing gens just so that i have another chance. They will not gift me hooks just so that i feel better. So why should i not play optimally too? Why should i let them win?

Is it fun? No definitely not, i play both sides 50/50 and i know how both sides feel when they get destroyed. I know how it feels to get camped or tunneled straight from the beginning of the match. The new MMR system forced players to find the optimal strategies to win against other good opponents, it showed the balancing problems that Dbd still has. I would welcome balance changes which punish tunneling and camping as long as survivors top tier strategies get nerfed too.

• OpenX
    OpenX Member Posts: 890

It's fair because of gen speeds and the survivor second chance meta. A 30-40 second chase at the start of a game can lose you 2-3 gens sometimes, which is insane.

15-20 seconds to find someone, 10-20 seconds to hold W up to them, 30-40 second chase, then 10-15 seconds to hook them and it's boom half your gens gone if not more. From there you basically HAVE to tunnel for any sort of chance to win

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

I won't say fair-fair but what is fair in this game anyway. It is not players fault.

When I first started I admit it annoyed the hell out of me and I was throwing hissy fits over it lol. But through time I changed and don't mind at all. I also play killer too, not as much as survivor but enough to see how it is and both perspectives.

I am even starting to look at bm from both sides differently. I don't get manipulated by it or feel the need to indulge into negative emotions by "punishing" someone. If they do it I just use it on them as well to see if it works and they make mistakes.

I still won't bm first tho.

I think we should all chill and just play the match. Just don't go and tell someone to off themselves because you got tilted in a video game.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

Camping

Boring for me, boring for the survivors. No thanks.

Slugging

Sure, if a survivor is unhooked and comes humping my ass because they want to use their DS, I'll slug them. Similarly, if I can't pickup due to hovering flashlight wielders, I'll slug and go after the other person.

Tunnelling

Sorry but I can't have fun knowing that my actions are making everybody else in the game miserable.

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611

Survivors who complain about these strategies are either very entitled and their opinion on the subjet are silly (like killers who complain about gen rushing, bodyblocking...) or they're complaining because it's not fun to go against or fair to the survivor getting tunneled or facecamped, which is true.

There's nothing wrong with people saying they don't like a strategy or arguing that it shouldn't be the game's meta or be encouraged by perks or whatever, and the other side shouldn't whine about people not enjoying playing against them because of these strategies... what people shouldn't do is demand that because a strategy isn't fun for them it shouldn't be used, and that people who do are mean (to stay polite) because they didn't take into account their feelings when they decided to win using these strategies.

It's also entitlement when people complain because the other side didn't have fun, it's strange to me to see killers complain about survivors saying the game was boring bc they facecamped lol like? If you care about them having fun change strategies but you're probably playing to win and don't care about their fun, you can't expect or demand people to have fun against you that's just weird (even if you're not using sweaty strategies).

Playing to win using sweaty strategies is fine, complaining about a strategy is fine.

Demanding that everyone stops using a viable and valid strategy because you don't like it or demanding that people enjoy going against it is silly and entitled.

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

Killer mindsets are really worrying.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851

When I play killer, I don’t do any of those because I don’t like it being done to me. If it happens to me as a survivor, it’s whatever. I take my medicine and move on to the next match. But the games you get 4K’s as killer without doing any of that, are really something. No one can say jack ######### to you, and it’s awesome. Especially if it’s a decent 4 man SWF that got too cocky. You beat them straight up, by their rules- “handicapped.” And if they do say anything, you both know their salty and it’s just sad.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,429
    edited April 2022

There are some instances in which you cannot do anything against Camping. A notable one being a Camping Leatherface.

So you can't just generalize and say everyone just doesn't like Camping, they aren't saying that. They are saying that in very specific instances, it becomes boderline uncounterable. This makes the DS/BT meta more stagnant which means that as killer you will be more likely to see those two perks than any other. Which in turn gets boring, because there is no variety, no variation of perks. That's all.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,466

I dont think anyone is arguing that their unfair

theyre just incredibly unfun for the receiving

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,281

And thirdly, camping, slugging, and tunnelling is easily counterable. If a killer is camping, rush gens. If a killer is tunneling, rush gens and/or bring DS or other anti-tunnel perks/builds. If a killer is slugging, rush gens and go help your teammates up when you think they are close to being fully recovered.

"Why are gens going so fast?"

• gydalf
    gydalf Member Posts: 8

Me when I have no empathy for the other side be like

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

So are Survivor mindsets.

This is still the ONLY community where people actually believe 'My fun comes before you winning' is a valid argument.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,882

Idk I'd be more worried about the survivors that still have mindsets like its 2016-2017 where tunneling and camping is a cardinal sin.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

They are people get annoyed because they aren’t the most exciting strategies outside of Bubba Mains

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    edited April 2022

Camping - not really my thing, but I hold no issue with it.

Tunneling - in literally every other multiplayer game this would just be called focusing down a player, no reason it needs a special term in dbd, and frankly, it's just not a real problem. Yes you'll get tunneled sometimes, that's what happens when you are playing against a person with free will and not an npc.

Slugging - if I slug it's for 1 of 2 reasons. Either trying for hooks has failed me. (boil over, sabotaged hooks, team that is great at saves), or everyone clumped up like a JV volleyball team.

What I really want to add, because I don't think it's said enough, at no point did I engage in any of these strategies out of malice. That is to say, when I tunnel you out of the match, it's not because I dislike you, or want to "punish" or "ruin your game" it's because I want to win. That's it. Either you brought a perk I'm trying to get rid of for an advantage, or you're the one I feel is doing the gens the most, or just who I can catch. I feel the sooner people can stop taking being on the other side of these tactics personally, the sooner we all mature as a community.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

the short answer: because none of those things are against the game rules

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611

Oh i absolutely agree, that's what i was trying to convey by saying people arguing it's not fair and shouldn't be meta is fine, i shortened my post bc it was too long and it may have lost some nuance in the process, my bad.

• TheGrimQueefer
    TheGrimQueefer Member Posts: 121

Fair? Probably not the best description. It is a terrible experience as a solo survivor & very boring to do as a killer. However, it is necessary to dominate as the latter.

It makes for a game which is not enjoyable. Great recipe for retaining new players right?

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

Which is why none of the many players who did received any sort of punishment when the maps were adjusted to remove them. If BHVR wishes to stop camping, they can adjust the game again.