Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Hillbilly's chainsaw overheating is the most unnecessary nerf that nobody asked for

Gigante
Gigante Member Posts: 134
edited April 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

I remember the complaints at the time and basically all of them were related to the instasaw addon in which I fully agree on the nerf.

But the overheating mechanic was a totally unnecessary thing that took A LOT of the fun out of Hillbilly.

He's a super fun killer to play against and with, but this no-nonsense mechanic makes him extremely boring. Now I rarely see a Hillbilly in a match.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• DoomedMind
    DoomedMind Member Posts: 793

I love to overheat because I try to do only chainsaw and practice it, but the game says "No, you're punished for using your power".

I mean, he's nowhere strong as Bubba when camping, but the latter doesn't have any overheating #########.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,845

Personally i always found Hillbilly extremely boring even before overheat.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,224

I can forgive making bad changes because making games is hard. I have a harder time forgiving how stubborn they've been about reverting the changes that went over so poorly.

"Our data says Billy was overpowered." Ok, what was overpowered about him? What exactly were you trying to fix? Why can't players be expected to drop pallets?

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,501
    edited April 2022

Mclean actually talked about it. Sadly he's not a dev anymore. But he pretty much said its a mechanic that "does not matter" and "could leave but itd be a waste of resources". So idk if that was their viewpoint as a whole on it but for anyone who's wondering.

30:00

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

I too miss those wild matches, just going berserk trying to chainsaw everybody the moment the match started.

Stopped playing Billy after overheat was introduced

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662
    edited April 2022

Maybe they could keep the overheat mechanic but just have it apply x meters within a hooked survivor. Just to prevent Hillbilly's from 99ing their chainsaw the entire 2 hook states. Just like how Leatherface can no longer do that.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Reverting a change is admitting they made a mistake. They only do that when they really screw up. Like patch 1.9.2

• latigresa
    latigresa Member Posts: 88

It prevents billy from holding someone hostage at loops. Just rev at a wall or rock and wait for them to move too far out of position.

• DoomedMind

They didn't even say that, they clearly said, they said that he was a symbol of balanced blablabla and so they decided to bring him some tweaks. It was horrendous.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

What's actually funny about all that is they reworked the chainsaw on both billy and bubba and said they added the overheat mechanic in hopes to prevent camping with a chainsaw and to give it a counterplay but then turn around and at the same time gave bubba three whole charges of his chainsaw sweep lol, I still think the overheat mechanic is a dumb idea they should just make it to where Billy can't infinitely sprint but his chainsaw doesn't overheat when revving it at a loop, the two only real complaints I heard about old Billy that I agree with was insta saw needed nerf and his infinite sprint didn't need to be there so you couldn't just run maps like rotten fields in a sprinting circle and randomly just get someone

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

In fact the overheat was quite much demanded. And it was needed to prevent bad players from 99ing their chainsaw at every loop as it had no downside.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,610

I always wonder how the hell people are playing when I hear them say Overheat "punishes" literally anything, you actively have to go out of your way to ever get your chainsaw to fill that meter.

Not a defence of Overheat, mind. It was an abject failure that doesn't make a difference to his gameplay in either direction, and wasn't necessary to begin with. Just, y'know, if Overheat were to be removed from the game entirely tomorrow, Hillbilly's status wouldn't change. He'd still need work and he'd be only very slightly better off.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Overheating was a decent change. It was to combat Billys who would just hold chainsaw fully revved and go around a loop until they could drop it at an ideal moment where it was basically undodgeable. Having overheat means you actually have to have some semblance of skill to work out when the right time is to charge it up.

Personally I think they should remove it, but reduce Billy's speed while revving, as he currently drop to 100% speed which allows him to keep looping until a window arises. If they make him lower like 90-95% then you can chainsaw all you like, but holding rev at a loop would still be nerfed.

Bubba tantrums if he charges for too long, and can't use his power to go an infinite distance.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

Overheat isn’t even a problem. Was it necessary? Not really, other than maybe for hook camping. But Billy has other issues which are far more important.

Tbf they did also do that when they nerfed engravings.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064

I admit my main question throughout is "Did Overheat even actually affect anything?" Even "feathering" is still possible, if not as easy to do often, isn't it?

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

No, it really doesnt affect anything.

That is unless you liked camping, running circles around the map to find the first survivor with no downside, and holding the chainsaw at short loops.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

Tbh I like the concept of overheating and I think it would be nice if there were more addons that interacted with it like Pighouse gloves.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,501
    edited April 2022

On the inverse like brought up by many people (and mclean as well) "then as a mechanic is it necessary...does it do anything to help the game?" especially when there's add ons like pighouse gloves which force you to overheat yourself to get enduring and brutal strength? No. Which is why even he admitted it could leave just they are stubborn because of the time put into it.

Btw pighouse gloves for those who don't know:

• DoomedMind
    edited April 2022

Yeah but he has to collide to go in tantrum, a thing a good Bubba will never do, and this is truer in a facecamping case- also the chainsaw swinging overspeeds the BT speed boost, so even if you manage to unhook with BT, you'll be down still.

A facecamping hillbilly will always down one guy, and you can still juke him because of the high sensitivity and speed the chainsaw rush provides.

• kaskader
    kaskader Member Posts: 283

Billy nerf is the weirdest thing that ever happened to dbd. Maybe they nerfed him to encourage people to play blight? (he was nerfed one mid chapter before blight came out) He wasn't op and people loved him. So yea my theory is they nerfed him because of blight.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

The only time it really does anything is when you're revving around loops in a deadlock - so it's not like it ever occurs 99.9% of the time in the current meta.

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019

He actually reacted to his reaction and changed his opinion